Your recs on a simple drum set

Sbbruin

I mentioned we have our daughter in the School of Rock program and she's on drums.  She's really starting to get into it and asked if there was any way we would get her a set.  Looking online, ebay has some sets for under $200, but I have no idea whether they are useless or what.  I wouldn't know my as from a hole in the ground when it comes to drum sets.  I just want something functional that she can practice on.  If she really gets into and demonstrates some ability, we can upgrade.  Just need to know if one of those $200 sets is more like a toy set or an actual legit set.

Those are toys.  I'm not a drummer but I've recorded a shit ton of drummers, and I've purchased several kits for my daughter (no pics) as she's moved up to the point where she's now pretty proficient.

I would start at something like the Gretsch Catalina line.  If you buy right, you'll be able to resell for nearly what you paid.  Don't forget cymbals and hardware (stands, throne, kick drum pedal, sticks, etc.) -- you're very unlikely to get in for less than $700 if you don't want absolute shite.

My kid's drum teacher recommends the Ludwig Jr.  sets and says they're as good as real ones, just smaller.   We have the cheaper Gammon 5-piece junior from Amazon and it's a legit set, not a toy.  The cymbals aren't great, but serviceable.  I'd buy them again. 

I would look at a "jazz" configuration -- a 20" kick drum, a single rack tom (probably 12"), and a single floor tom (probably 14" or 16").  Again, Gretsch Catalina has a "Catalina Jazz".

It's not a junior size, it just happens to be small enough for an adolescent to not get swamped by a larger rock configuration.

don't get a jr size for a 12 year old.  if you say all she's going to be doing is practicing, then get her any old drum set.  it doesn't have to sound good.  if she intends to take it places to perform, get a ludwig/tama/gretsch/yamaha starter set.  you can find those on craigslist for <$500 including hardware (cymbals/stands etc).  don't forget to purchase an area rug that covers the entire footprint of the drum set.  you don't want to scratch your floors.  also necessary - earplugs, a couple pairs of sticks, a metronome, music stand, and a drum key (to tune the drum heads).  also if you value your sanity or don't have a soundproof room, buy some practice pads off amazon. 

• Like 1

One thing a great drummer taught me is that, as long as the shells aren't warped and the bearing edges aren't fucked, a fairly cheap set of shells can sound great with good heads tuned right by someone who knows what they're doing.  (That last part seems to be the wild card.  There are a shit ton of "drummers" out there who don't know how to tune their drums.)

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

don't get a jr size for a 12 year old.  if you say all she's going to be doing is practicing, then get her any old drum set.  it doesn't have to sound good.  if she intends to take it places to perform, get a ludwig/tama/gretsch/yamaha starter set.  you can find those on craigslist for <$500 including hardware (cymbals/stands etc).  don't forget to purchase an area rug that covers the entire footprint of the drum set.  you don't want to scratch your floors.  also necessary - earplugs, a couple pairs of sticks, a metronome, music stand, and a drum key (to tune the drum heads).  also if you value your sanity or don't have a soundproof room, buy some practice pads off amazon. 

We have an office/back room connected to our detached garage.  We'd put it in there.

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Looks like something is broken on the first one, but the description is so poorly written I can't tell exactly what he's saying.  If it were me I'd go with the 2nd one.

How tall is your daughter?  Those are very conventional sized drums, which is great for versatility but it might be kinda big for a 12 YO.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like something is broken on the first one, but the description is so poorly written I can't tell exactly what he's saying.  If it were me I'd go with the 2nd one.

How tall is your daughter?  Those are very conventional sized drums, which is great for versatility but it might be kinda big for a 12 YO.

She's maybe 4'11"?  The set she is using at SofR looked pretty standard sized, but what do I know.  What about this?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/d/tama-rockstar-white-4pc-drum/6673572060.html

That's probably a better kit, as it's not Tama's bottom of the line model, but it's always a bit of a crapshoot with used drums.  Can her teacher check it out?  $25 or a case of beer would get most teachers to tag along.

Zildjian is absolutely the biggest name in cymbals, although they do make product in ALMOST every price range.  Ask him what model the cymbals are, and if they have any cracks, dents, or keyholes (hey-o).  Those kinda look like they might be pretty good.  If they're actual Zildjian "A" models in good shape the cymbals alone are probably worth $300.  Lesser models, maybe $150.  Once a cymbal is cracked it's cannon fodder on the used market.  Dents or keyholes (where the hole in the middle gets wallowed out) don't hurt the value as bad.

You'll want new heads, at least on the top side (where you hit the drums), so imagine that's probably $60 or so (pulled out of my ass).

I'd buy used if I were you because you can stretch your money so much further. Like that Tama set..... many times they come with all the hardware and some cymbals. The cymbals are usually crap though... but fine for her for now.

I'd you could find a used gretsch Catalina series I'd hit that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Definitely don't go Junior.  My oldest son was ready to outgrow a JR set before he turned six.  Years before he was born, I bought a Pearl Export set off a friend pretty cheap when he was upgrading.  He played it for several years before he moved on to guitar.  I have used it for band get togethers and, apart from the snare, the drummer in that group uses the rest of the kit.

As someone mentioned, decent heads and good tuning is key.  Also, a good bass drum pedal over what may come with that set is a good investment as well as good cymbals.  But for a 12 year old, you can upgrade gradually. 

• 3 months later...

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Who is it for? And budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For my 12 yo daughter who is new to drums but is taking lessons.  Budget is as cheap as I can get away with and not get her a complete piece of shit.

Yeah just scrolled up. Sorry, now I remember. There is another set by PDP that is $100 more (with cymbals etc) that is probably twice the set. SPL isn’t a “name” brand but it’s up to you.

I totally get wanting to minimize the financial investment at this stage. Let me look at these for a sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 12:51 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Or Pearl.  Even PDP (budget conscious DW).

In my area this is the way to go. A 5 piece sets you back about $500, and you could easily get most of that back should she decide drums ain’t her thing.

But pos rep on getting her on a throne. More girls should pick up drums.