England 2018

Captain Ron

Too many holes? Word is the midfield is so deep they are probably not taking the greatest CM to ever walk the earth (past, present and dare I say future?)

Southgate is also calling out Dele Alli. I can't say I disagree with much of this.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/gareth-southgate-tells-dele-alli-to-grow-up-nq9kjtm57

Southgate explained Alli’s omission by referring to a non-specific fitness issue that has prevented him completing every training session in the past week, but it is understood that he also wanted to make a point to the 21-year-old that he cannot take England selection for granted. Alli’s form has been inconsistent this season and he has also not created an entirely positive impression while on international duty due to misgivings about his ability to follow instructions and fit into the clearly defined team shape that the manager is attempting to establish.

Southgate remains a big admirer of Alli’s talent but has concerns that he can be too individualistic and struggles to conform. The England management are understood to have been unhappy with his immature behaviour on the substitutes’ bench during England’s 1-0 win over Holland last Friday, when those at close quarters remarked that he appeared to be giggling and messing around rather than watching the game.

I think he disappears for games at times, and he tries too hard/plays pretty selfish ("individualistic") many times. I don't think any of this even gives consideration to his selfish play.

On the depth part I mentioned above:

Lingard and Oxlade-Chamberlain’s performances this week have almost certainly ended Jack Wilshere’s hopes of making the World Cup after the Arsenal midfielder withdrew from the squad with a knee injury.

Shocking.

• 4 weeks later...

You keep talking about Jack as if the England coaches haven’t stated over and over and over that he’s by far the best MF in the team, as if his performances in the team don’t speak for themselves. And what’s even dumber is that you insist on alluding to him as the best MF evar on a constant basis when the fact is that YOU and everyone else here were the ones who were wrong. That’s what’s dumb. I said that he was *possibly* England’s best MF, y'all acted like I said he was better than Messi, then I posted a quote from Neville saying that he was easily England’s best MF and y’all just said, “yeah well England’s MF sucks.” Oh ok.

It’s dumb. I sit here watching y’all make the same stupid joke time after time because I know you’ll whine about the thread  being Derka’d if I point out how ridiculous you’re being,  yet you never stop bringing it up. Hey buddy- the joke has always been on you. But keep pretending it’s the other way around. Jacob Wilshere is and has been England’s best MF for a long time. He’s probably going to miss out on being selected for the WC because he still can’t stay healthy, not because he sucks. And you actually know that’s the case too. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Wilshere is more of a #8, IMO. When I've seen him, he's rarely the deepest MF. skip or Derka can correct me if I'm wrong.

IF Henderson plays like he did against Roma, he's the #6 and it's not really debatable. That's not because he's England's greatest MF; it's down to a lack of options. The other problem is he doesn't always play like that.

7 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Wilshere is more of a #8, IMO. When I've seen him, he's rarely the deepest MF. skip or Derka can correct me if I'm wrong.

IF Henderson plays like he did against Roma, he's the #6 and it's not really debatable. That's not because he's England's greatest MF; it's down to a lack of options. The other problem is he doesn't always play like that.

Hodgson played Jack as a deep lying playmaker which is where he thrived the most for England. Not sure how Southgate would plan on using him though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hart and Wilshere to be left off the England World Cup Squad

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/england-world-cup-2018-squad-jack-wilshere-axed-joe-hart-out-fabian-delph-final-23-russia-a3840056.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/15/joe-hart-england-world-cup-squad-out-gareth-southgate-west-ham

I'll be honest, I get Hart, the guys isn't the number one for West Ham and hasn't made that many appearances. But, despite having a similar issue for Arsenal, I thought Wilshere was going to make it, especially with Oxlade-Chamberlain out. Guess not.

Then again Gareth Southgate has always been an overly sensitive prick, so this shouldn’t be surprising. I convinced myself that there was no way this was going to happen because, AGAIN, Jack is clearly superior to every other midfielder in that shit team. But I suppose the writing was on the wall when Wenger was advocating for Wilshere and Southgate respondes with his typical overly sensitive, “but I’M the boss!” Prince Joffrey routine. Fuck him, and fuck England this summer. No Chambo, no Wilshere, no party.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Then again Gareth Southgate has always been an overly sensitive prick, so this shouldn’t be surprising. I convinced myself that there was no way this was going to happen because, AGAIN, Jack is clearly superior to every other midfielder in that shit team. But I suppose the writing was on the wall when Wenger was advocating for Wilshere and Southgate respondes with his typical overly sensitive, “but I’M the boss!” Prince Joffrey routine. Fuck him, and fuck England this summer. No Chambo, no Wilshere, no party.

well, this is wrong, no matter what gary neville says. 

1 hour ago, mr. littlejeans said:

well, this is wrong, no matter what gary neville says. 

No it’s not. England has a shit midfield and has nobody who can turn defense into attack or turn on a man and rampage forward like Jack. I’ll say it one last time, there’s a reason he was England’s MOTM 6 times in 7 games (all wins) the last time he was fully fit and playing. He may not be in that kind of form anymore, but he was Arsenal’s best MF on several occasions this year, and in his day his best is >>>>>> the best of Hendo or whoever else England will trot out there. 

edit: apparently Jack is actually out injured .That makes more sense.

Edited by Goo Punch

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

No it’s not. England has a shit midfield and has nobody who can turn defense into attack or turn on a man and rampage forward like Jack. I’ll say it one last time, there’s a reason he was England’s MOTM 6 times in 7 games (all wins) the last time he was fully fit and playing. He may not be in that kind of form anymore, but he was Arsenal’s best MF on several occasions this year, and in his day his best is >>>>>> the best of Hendo or whoever else England will trot out there. 

edit: apparently Jack is actually out injured .That makes more sense.

of course he is. the last time he was fully fit was three years ago, which coincidentally is around the last time that gary neville coached him. if it were 2015 you and gary might be right, but it's not so you aren't. 

You’re not even addressing this in any sort of practical, fact-based way, you’re just repeating “he’s not” over and over. Like I said, his build up play, his ability to turn on a man, his ability to take defenders on, and his ability to turn defense into attack are still better than he abilities of his England counterparts, even if he’s not as good as he once was. The guy is injured, otherwise he’d be on the team and we’d get to watch it all unfold in Russia. Now? Go France. Go Egypt.

it's fact that for the last three years he's not been fully fit. if you can't play then by default you can't be the best player on a team, regardless of skill set. it's also super weird that you were outraged and decided to not support england when you thought they did jack wrong for ego reasons, but now that it's been reported that jack is out for being jack you will still root against them.

16 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

it's fact that for the last three years he's not been fully fit. if you can't play then by default you can't be the best player on a team, regardless of skill set. it's also super weird that you were outraged and decided to not support england when you thought they did jack wrong for ego reasons, but now that it's been reported that jack is out for being jack you will still root against them.

1) Alex O'Brien was our best midfielder in 2006, even though he couldn't play.

2) My Argentine girlfriend from 2 World Cups ago would quite accurately point out that you, mr. littlejeans, "don't know the PASSION!! You don't know the PASSION of fútbol!"

...and Florencia would be 100% correct.

1 hour ago, mr. littlejeans said:

It’s “super weird” that I was going to root for them when they featured my favorite player, but no longer am plan on doing so in light of his absence? Lol ok.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

1) Alex O'Brien was our best midfielder in 2006, even though he couldn't play.

2) My Argentine girlfriend from 2 World Cups ago would quite accurately point out that you, mr. littlejeans, "don't know the PASSION!! You don't know the PASSION of fútbol!"

...and Florencia would be 100% correct.

It was John O'Brien, in 2002, and he *was* the best, *before* the tournament, and the emergence of a 20-year old ROOKIE (TM-JK) named Landon.

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It was John O'Brien, in 2002, and he *was* the best, *before* the tournament, and the emergence of a 20-year old ROOKIE (TM-JK) named Landon.

Correct! JOHN, not "Alex".

I know that he was the best in 2002 and that's why he was put on the roster "in 2006, even though he couldn't play". [READING COMPREHENSION]

the lizard releases his squad next week

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jack-wilshere-ryan-sessegnon-jadon-sancho-standard-sport-england-world-cup-squad-a3838221.html

Jack Wilshere, Ryan Sessegnon & Jadon Sancho IN as Evening Standard Sport picks England's World Cup squad

With Gareth Southgate set to name his 23-man England squad for the World Cup 2018, Standard Sport reporters have made their own picks of who should be heading to Russia.

The England head coach said back in March that "19 or 20" players had cemented their place on the plane, leaving a few names still up for grabs as the domestic season drew to a close.

The time to impress is now over. Warm-up friendlies against Nigeria, at Wembley on June 2, and Costa Rica, at Elland Road on June 7, could see Southgate's starting XI change, but otherwise it will be a standby list in case of injuries.

James Olley

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland, Joe Hart

Defenders: John Stones, Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Danny Rose, Harry Maguire, Gary Cahill

Midfielders: Raheem Sterling, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard, Jack Wilshere, Fabian Delph, Adam Lallana, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Forwards: Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford

England have been painfully predictable at previous tournaments and so Gareth Southgate’s plan to name a squad with pace and tactical variety is both logical and progressive. There are a lot of young and relatively inexperienced players in key positions, however, and so my squad is laced with a few older heads to provide support during the intensity of a World Cup.

Chris Smalling is unlikely to make it into Southgate’s selection but he has been one of Manchester United’s more consistent performers in a team with the second best defensive record in the Premier League. The same is true of Ashley Young.

Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold deserves a call-up if Kieran Trippier’s availability is in serious doubt.

Fabian Delph only makes it in because of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s knee injury while a gamble is taken on the fitness of Jack Wilshere and Adam Lallana after limited game-time in recent weeks.

It would normally feel uncomfortable to pick only three strikers but given Southgate’s preferred 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 system, Raheem Sterling, Dele Alli and Jesse Lingard are among the midfielders capable of playing as supplementary forwards behind Harry Kane.

Simon Johnson

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland

Defenders: John Stones, Gary Cahill, Ryan Bertrand, Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire, Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose, Ryan Sessegnon

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jack Wilshere, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Raheem Sterling, Jesse Lingard, Jordan Henderson, Ashley Young

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck

The majority of my squad is stating the obvious, but some decisions still need an explanation. Gary Cahill was left out in March, however he has returned to form for Chelsea and England need his experience in the camp. Danny Rose may not have played regularly for Spurs this term and has question marks over his fitness, yet is the country's best at left back.

Some eyebrows maybe raised at the inclusion of Ryan Sessegnon given he has not even earned a senior cap. However, it's worth taking the gamble of including such a young talent who clearly has a huge role at this level to come.

On so many occasions a few places are taken up by older individuals who have little chance of being involved, but are there just in case. I believe coach Gareth Southgate can afford to leave one of those characters out in order for Sessegnon, the Championship Player of the Year, to get a taste of a major tournament. The fact he can play wing back or further forward means he covers two positions anyway, which is a real asset. An elder statesman Ashley Young, who can do the same, is there for extra cover.

With Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain ruled out through injury, England's midfield need the creativity Jack Wilshere and Ruben Loftus-Cheek can bring. While Southgate is a huge admirer, Adam Lallana has played too little at Liverpool to warrant selection in such a key position.

As Eric Dier and Kyle Walker can play in a back three, that leaves room to include another forward. Danny Welbeck has not exactly impressed for Arsenal, but his work-rate and ability to play on the left gives him the edge.

Dan Kilpatrick

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland, Nick Pope

Defenders: Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose, Ashley Young, John Stones, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Gary Cahill

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Adam Lallana, Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard, Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy

Everyone loves a wildcard and Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho is my pick ahead of Ryan Sessegnon because he has top-flight experience, albeit in Germany. Gary Cahill is a surprise choice at centre-half because he has won everything and, well, who else is there? The Chelsea man's experience will be useful because Joe Hart is nowhere near my squad after an error-strewn season. In another nod to experience, Ashley Young would be my other left wing-back ahead of Ryan Bertrand, who is less suited to a 3-5-2-1 system.

Jack Wilshere is a must for the squad because England desperately need a midfielder who can keep and pass the ball and, for the same reason, I would take a punt on Adam Lallana's fitness – especially since Harry Winks and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain miss out.

I'm still not sure what Danny Welbeck does, so he is out, along with Jake Livermore, who has been questionable on and off the pitch (Taxi-gate) this season. Ruben Loftus-Cheek has looked comfortable at international level, however. It is probably too soon for Sessegnon, Ademola Lookman, Mason Mount, Lewis Cook and Trent Alexander-Arnold but I would include all five on the standby list because, frankly, the alternatives are not inspiring and one might prove undroppable during the warm-ups.

Vaishali Bhardwaj

Defenders: Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose, Eric Dier, John Stones, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill

Midfielders: Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Dele Alli, Raheem Sterling, Jesse Lingard, Fabian Delph, Ashley Young, Adam Lallana

Forwards: Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford

In goal, Fraser Forster and Tom Heaton are likely to miss out given their lack of game time and injuries respectively.

In defence, Nathaniel Clyne's recent return from injury, Luke Shaw's lack of regular game time at Manchester United along with Joe Gomez's injury means they will miss out as may Chris Smalling.

But Trent Alexander-Arnold's standout season at Liverpool should see him make the cut along with Gary Cahill who, despite not having been a regular at Chelsea this season, has won his place back in Antonio Conte's team with some solid displays in a different position.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's injury means he won't be going to the World Cup while Danny Drinkwater and Ross Barkley haven't played enough at Chelsea to warrant inclusion. Jonjo Shelvey would provide much-needed creativity in midfield for England but his last cap came in 2015, making it unlikely he could be on the plane to Russia.

Up front, and Daniel Sturridge hasn't played enough this season to be included in the team while Andy Carroll's recent return from injury should see Marcus Rashford pip him into the squad.

Jack Rosser

Defenders: Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Gary Cahill, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose

Midfielders: Jordan Henderson, Eric Dier, James Ward-Prowse, Dele Alli, Adam Lallana, Jesse Lingard, Jack Wilshere, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Raheem Sterling

Forwards: Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford, Harry Kane

Looking back a few months ago, there were no real problem areas in this squad. Now, come the end of the season and a few more injuries, a final 23 becomes far harder to pick.

Central midfield remains the main hole in the squad, with few options to keep things tight from a defensive perspective. Jake Livermore has been the choice in recent squads, but having just been relegated following a season of disarray at West Brom, he's probably not in the best place to go to a World Cup.

Up step James Ward-Prowse. The midfielder has played less football than he would have liked this season but with the experience of captaining a successful Under-21s side under Southgate and he can be his bastion again.

At the back it was a choice between Phil Jones and Chris Smalling for one of the four central slots. Both make me nervous but, on recent performances. I would rather see Jones in the side, while Gary Cahill may not get too many minutes but will provide invaluable experience to the younger members of the squad.

Adam Lallana and Jack Wilshere have been in and out of their respective sides in the final weeks of the season but both have the ability to change games in a flash when called upon, while Ruben Loftus-Cheek has continued to impress following his return from injury.

John Dillon

Defenders: Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, John Stones, Gary Cahill, Harry Maguire, Eric Dier, Ashley Young, Ryan Bertrand

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard, Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshere, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Forwards: Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford, Danny Welbeck

Gareth Southgate's options beyond his starting line-up are thin – and England followers have spent a long time hoping Jack Wilshere can be the man to give the side a creative spark. It hasn’t really happened. But in the absence of anyone else with his sense of vision, footballing “geometry” and mischief, he is worth having in the squad if only to give it an extra dimension.

Danny Welbeck is an unfulfilled talent, too. But with 15 goals in 37 international appearances, there is a vague hope that he could called on to freshen up the attack if required.

Manchester United are said to be ready to offload the defensive pairing of Chris Smalling and Phil Jones this summer. In truth, foreign managers at club level have rarely been impressed with English central defenders beyond John Terry in recent years. Southgate thinks Smalling is not comfortable enough on the ball and at top level, he often looks uncertain. Jones is a robust defender but he has been so injury prone over the years that he’s a risk in any squad.  Gary Cahill, just for his experience and his older head, is a better alternative.

I’m hoping that Jesse Lingard’s ebullient spirit will be able to make a difference in Russia. He plays with a smile. Tournaments with England can be dour experiences. Lingard may help change that.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

You’re not even addressing this in any sort of practical, fact-based way, you’re just repeating “he’s not” over and over. Like I said, his build up play, his ability to turn on a man, his ability to take defenders on, and his ability to turn defense into attack are still better than he abilities of his England counterparts, even if he’s not as good as he once was. The guy is injured, otherwise he’d be on the team and we’d get to watch it all unfold in Russia. Now? Go France. Go Egypt.

You make Wilshere out to be Gazza.  Sir Stanley played until he was 50.  Beckham v. Greece in 2001.  You need to shut up about Wilshere as "best".  When he is fit for a full cycle, STARS for England and takes them deep (semis+) or scores a winning kick in penalties of a major, then you can use the word "best" in any context you wish.

If you want to keep Wilshere's karma clean, stop bitching and wait for the lizard to announce his squad before going postal.  Whatever you do, do not believe Fleet Street until it's done, dusted, and ANNOUNCED.

Until we get the word from Southgate himself, all we have is the rumors of why Wilshere is off the team. And it seems to be one of two things: Either Southgate doesn't think he can trust Wilshere to be healthy or he really is hurt. Ultimately that's really the same thing, because if he is really hurt then Southgate was right, he couldn't count on him to stay healthy.

I certainly wouldn't call the decision to leave Wilshere off the team insane. If the injury angle is to be believed (trust or really injured) - that comes from a very logical place. When you add to the fact that Wilshere has never been on the field for Southgate's England squad (on the bench 2 games). And missing the friendlies in March. I see a lot of extremely valid reasons not to put him on the team.

As far as best anything for England - hardly. The guy has the talent, but to be the best, you have to play. Wilshere hasn't made an appearance for the team since the Euros in 2016 and since the last world cup, he's made 14 appearances. Over that same stretch the players that are going to feature for this team have made around 2 dozen appearances, appearances since the Euros to get England into the World Cup. If the team can't count on you, then you aren't the best.

People that are supposedly confirmed:

Gary Cahill

Nick Pope

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Fabian Delph

Supposed locks:

Jordan Pickford

Jack Butland

Kyle Waker

John Stones

Harry Maguire

Jordan Henderson

Eric Dier

Raheem Sterling

Jesse Lingard

Dele Alli

Harry Kane

Jamie Vardy

Marcus Rashford

It also turns out that the announcement is expected closer to 2 PM London - just under an hour from now. 

Edited by Captain Ron

Goalkeepers

Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders

Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young

Midfielders

Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Forwards

Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy

first topic to clear off the desk is Welbeck.

15 in 37 for the senior side; is the the English Klose?

wiki says he had 25 prem appearances, but did he really feature?

given Kane & Vardy, it seems Sessegnon missed out to Welbeck; i see Sterling and Rashford as the best wide options, not strikers.

Yeah the Welbeck thing is funny. For Arsenal he mainly just “puts in a shift”. He runs forever and covers a ton of ground, but he doesn’t really score or provide assists, and when he does it’s usually in comedically accidental fashion. But his work rate is awesome, and as you said, he’s like the English Klose with his goal record for the NT.

Also, Southgate just seems to want to take younger players from smaller clubs over more known players who’ve either been injured or underperforming. Not gonna blame him for that strategy.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

...Also, Southgate just seems to want to take younger players from smaller clubs over more known players who’ve either been injured or underperforming. Not gonna blame him for that strategy.

Very smart strategy. Their ceiling with older has-beens is the Quarterfinals, but might not make it out of the group.

With that said, go Young, Healthy, & Talented. Same floor, miracle ceiling is one level higher, and loads of experience for the core of the 2020 & 2022 squads.

It's why I don't want the USMNT to call in any outfield players over 25.

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Yeah the Welbeck thing is funny. For Arsenal he mainly just “puts in a shift”. He runs forever and covers a ton of ground, but he doesn’t really score or provide assists, and when he does it’s usually in comedically accidental fashion. But his work rate is awesome, and as you said, he’s like the English Klose with his goal record for the NT.

Also, Southgate just seems to want to take younger players from smaller clubs over more known players who’ve either been injured or underperforming. Not gonna blame him for that strategy.

you won't blame him, but you'll call it an insane decision and wish misery on his squad because it means your favorite player was left off? again, weird.

9 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

you won't blame him, but you'll call it an insane decision and wish misery on his squad because it means your favorite player was left off? again, weird.

Okay dude, that was tongue in cheek. I wasn’t being serious. I kinda figured that the very comment you’re quoting would have cleared that up.

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

No, you’re right, I’m both incensed by and supportive of the same decision.

and yet...

On 5/15/2018 at 1:36 PM, Goo Punch said:

it's fine if you have come to terms with it or if you're now placated because welbeck was selected and you have your arsenal representation, but don't act like this and the responses that followed were all some sort of ruse and you were just having a laugh.