DT Austin Hotels

Superhero

Going back to Austin in mid-September for a conference downtown at the JW Marriott. I missed out on the block of rooms set aside for the conference, so I need to stay somewhere else.

Booking through Egencia (Expedia for business), and it says the JW Marriott is too pricey. Surprisingly, the Driskill is within policy. I remember the Driskill was the cat’s meow back in my college days (‘92-‘96), but haven’t been back in 11 years and don’t know what it’s like now. Is it tired and run down? Or has it been updated within the past few years?

Other options are basic 3-star business hotels for the proles, but they are a few blocks closer to the conference site.

Ultimately I’d like somewhere close-ish to the conference, but has updated rooms where I’m not afraid to walk on the floor barefoot.

The Hyatt House next to the JW Marriott is $260+ for the dates I’m going.

I walked past the Driskill tens of times during college and thought it was out of reach (for a college kid anyway). For the same price as the Hyatt House, I’d want to see the inside of a room, but not if it’s outdated.*

Oh and hotels in Austin are relatively cheap. I paid $900+/night for a Courtyard Marriott in SF. Seems like everything in SF is in short supply except for bums on the sidewalk.

* Guess I’m wary since we recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Maui and the rooms were beat up and grimy.

Edited by Superhero

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

I paid $900+/night for a Courtyard Marriott in SF. Seems like everything in SF is in short supply except for bums on the sidewalk.

You got fucked. I’m currently in a corner room at the St. Régis in SF for half that price. Bonus points for the Astros staying at this hotel for their series against the A’s this weekend.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

You got fucked. I’m currently in a corner room at the St. Régis in SF for half that price. Bonus points for the Astros staying at this hotel for their series against the A’s this weekend.

There was some financial something something convention in town that week. 

The cheapest hotel I’ve stayed at in SF was this place north of Union Square. It was $250 or so, and was utterly disgusting. Their idea of a continental breakfast was a tray of muffins next to the stair. 

19 hours ago, Superhero said:

There was some financial something something convention in town that week. 

The cheapest hotel I’ve stayed at in SF was this place north of Union Square. It was $250 or so, and was utterly disgusting. Their idea of a continental breakfast was a tray of muffins next to the stair. 

Yeah, SF rooms vary wildly with what’s going on in town. I’ve paid between $250 and $700 a night there.

• 4 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn Express on Neches (downtown) I stayed at last week was pretty close to the Arch (homeless shelter/area) if that is a deal breaker to some. But I'm IHG platinum so I always stay there.

if you're staying near the Austin Hilton on red river there's a city parking garage next door. If you are there multiple nights and don't need your car just leave it in the city garage and pay the lost ticket fee of $38 (that's what I did when Hilton was charging $30/night for self park and $40 for valet). 

That Hilton has one of the best hotel workout facilities I've ever seen too. 

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The Holiday Inn Express on Neches (downtown) I stayed at last week was pretty close to the Arch (homeless shelter/area) if that is a deal breaker to some. But I'm IHG platinum so I always stay there.

I'll donate you all my IHG points (granted, I am nowhere near your Super Status), so you don't have to stay in that shithole part of town anymore.  

2 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

He could have used the IHG status at Van Zandt or Stephen F.     Maybe he is just a holiday inn by the ARCH kind of guy. 

I could walk to my meetings! 

I grew up in Austin however I do not live anymore. Austin lacks quality hotels. period. it really lacks quality hotels for families. It's got a fuck ton of cheap, a fuck ton of business class and a bunch of cool party/boutique hotels but it lacks 4 or 5 star hotels. I hear that the Four Seasons is updating the rooms and whatnot and that's good as it's Austin's best but its dated as fuck and nowhere near the level of other cities FS. 

the Fairmont is a mid-grade to low high Fairmont property and while new, it looks cheap.

JW Marriott but it's simply a Marriott. 

The W: not family friendly IMHO.

We used to stay at the St. C but that also not a place to bring my toddler twins. 

WE stayed at the Stephen F Austin...it's a dated business class place at best. 

Edited by next2naus

You paid for the Hotel Saint Cecilia, so obviously price isn't much of an issue for you.  What do you mean by "Family Friendly"?  Hotel Van Zandt, Hotel San Jose, Hyatt Regency on Town Lake, Hilton Convention Center, J.W. Marriott, Westin, Aloft/Element, Driskill, Omni Downtown, South Congress Hotel, AT&T Conference Center & Hotel, Sheraton Capitol, Four Seasons, et. al.  These don't cut it?  

You want a 5-star hotel that's family friendly, presumably near kid-friendly stuff to do?  I'm not really sure where that exists outside of theme parks.  You want something nicer than the Fairmont/Four Seasons/J.W. up to par with the boutique vibe of Hotel Saint Cecilia with presumably more kid stuff to do.  Can you provide us with an example of another property somewhere else in an urban core that meets your qualifications?  I'm honestly asking because I'd like to develop a hotel then to meet that need.  

Hotel Van Zandt: party hotel

Hotel San Jose: maybe, lots of stairs, which sucks with a stoller

Hyatt Regency on Town: dated and business hotel) 

Hilton Convention Center: I actually like this and the , J.W. Marriott but my point . was there is not any Lux Hotels short of the Four Seasons with all the amenities (pool, room service, valets, etc)

Westin, it's new and I'd try it but there is nothing special about a Westin

, Aloft/Element: still not lux, although we liked that "Caroline" place to eat.

Driskill: I like it but its dted and the rooms smallish or w/ oversized furnishings

Omni Downtown: please tell this tired place has closed?

South Congress Hotel: party spot

AT&T Conference Center & Hotel: would try it, but it's also very corporate and nothing special

Sheraton Capitol,

Four Seasons: I stand by this as being Austin's only 5 star hotel even though it's due for a refresh, which I hear it's getting. 

you listed 5-star amenities as "pool, room service, valets."  Yeah, that's nearly impossible to come by in Austin.  Sorry man, you're not gonna get a place to swim, a kitchen that'll wheel up food to your room, and a guy to carry your bags and park your car anywhere in Austin.  I'm gonna tell the Line Hotel to just go ahead and cease renovations.  It ain't worth it. 

I also like how you listed Hotel San Jose as having too many stairs.  It's literally a giant flat motel.  Other than that one room that is above the lobby, it literally has zero steps by design.  Almost all of the 40 rooms are on ground level, and most have walk in showers so there's not even that step up in the bathroom.  Are you sure you're using your humblebrag hotel terminology correctly?  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, next2naus said:

Hotel Van Zandt: party hotel

Hotel San Jose: maybe, lots of stairs, which sucks with a stoller

Hyatt Regency on Town: dated and business hotel) 

Hilton Convention Center: I actually like this and the , J.W. Marriott but my point . was there is not any Lux Hotels short of the Four Seasons with all the amenities (pool, room service, valets, etc)

Westin, it's new and I'd try it but there is nothing special about a Westin

, Aloft/Element: still not lux, although we liked that "Caroline" place to eat.

Driskill: I like it but its dted and the rooms smallish or w/ oversized furnishings

Omni Downtown: please tell this tired place has closed?

South Congress Hotel: party spot

AT&T Conference Center & Hotel: would try it, but it's also very corporate and nothing special

Sheraton Capitol,

Four Seasons: I stand by this as being Austin's only 5 star hotel even though it's due for a refresh, which I hear it's getting. 

This is a fairly accurate description.  And he’s right — Austin lacks true high-end hotels.

i travel weekly and stay in decent hotels in NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Houston, SF, etc... I am pretty sure I could disqualify every "nice" hotel in each of those cities using the same criteria used in the post above. Historic, classic hotel? Old, not updated. Urban, modern chic hotel? not family friendly. everything else? business class, not acceptable.

i have stayed at the W, JW, Four Seasons, Driskill, San Jose, Van Zandt and the Fairmont and they are all really nice and certainly acceptable hotels to stay in. The only one that isnt kid friendly would be the W pool but the W as a whole is fine.

Planning to take my kids (daughter, 13, and son, 10) to their first Texas football game in November against Iowa State. Probably leaning to hotel in downtown but looking for a little direction. Definitely would like to keep the accommodations under $300/night, preferably closer to $200. Best bets?

Planning to take my kids (daughter, 13, and son, 10) to their first Texas football game in November against Iowa State. Probably leaning to hotel in downtown but looking for a little direction. Definitely would like to keep the accommodations under $300/night, preferably closer to $200. Best bets?

Doubletree on 15th?

I need some help here, what are the good, truly high-end 5-star properties in urban cores of Texas that are awash in amenities and great for kids?  Sarcasm aside, I'm honestly at a loss.  A couple of examples would be very helpful.  

I've been to the Crescent pool a half dozen times.  Granted I was always either solo or just with wife...but I would never classify that as a kid-friendly pool.  Not in a thousand years.  I guess I'm not Dallas enough 

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

I've been to the Crescent pool a half dozen times.  Granted I was always either solo or just with wife...but I would never classify that as a kid-friendly pool.  Not in a thousand years.  I guess I'm not Dallas enough 

agree, it more about the quality, awareness of staff and understanding the needs of someone traveling with two toddlers. the overall quality of the hotel and attention to detail. 

Stayed at the Fairmont for Memorial Day weekend at $150 a night (Saturday-Monday) and it was great.  Just stayed at the LINE Austin, a new boutique hotel that is still "in preview" and it was great too and for $125 including taxes couldn't beat it.  Balances out for them with the $30-40 a night parking but oh well. 

On 8/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, Neonmoon said:

If you have the option to stay at the Driskell, you stay at the Driskell. The bar is too damn good. 

Over the course of 3 days, my coworkers and I had drinks the JW bar, the Corner, some Mexican joint, and the Driskill. The Driskill bar was by far everyone's favorite because it was calming and not too loud. Unfortunately, one of my coworkers was completely trashed, talking really loud and throwing in a cuss word every few words. She also ended up sitting on the floor instead of one of the comfortable seats... good times.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:26 AM, Hank_Hill said:

Update: The Driskill is tits. Not dated at all, do it. 

Reception said they gave me a room in the updated side, but it was still old and busted. Obviously this is a historic hotel, and I should expect some old school charm, but the carpet, flat screen TV and a mini-bar were the only things from the 2010's. And you weren't joking about the rooms being small. Big enough for me, but would have thought it was too small for two.