Surly Podcast #1 - 8/18/18

immamac

Entry for Home Opener  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Entry Vote

Fellow assholes,

I thought it would be cool to start a weekly podcast to spice up the board with some original content. We  (blacklab and myself) plan on doing this later today, and keeping it a Saturday morning tradition as long as it makes sense. 

There are a few things we already have on slate to talk about, but we are open to suggestions from everyone on topics. The general format of the show is going to be pretty similar to other comedy/sports podcasts and we will make them available to listen to live and after the fact. Expect about 30 minutes of content with a max of 1 hour. 

Special Bonus: vote in the poll to enter a giveaway for 2 home tickets to the season opener.

• Like 6

Try to capture some of the surly and irreverent voice of Blacklab's infamous radio interview that happened at the time of The Great Migration. A lot of other podcasts try (some try too hard) to be authoritative and informative, and they completely miss the mark on being entertaining.

One topic I would like to hear about is the difference in recruiting strategies of the different coaches. Go to the 247 team ranking page, and click on a given team. You will see the bottom that says "commits." Click on that and switch it to "offers." Right now, Alabama has 279 offers out. OU has 167, Texas 128. Tennessee has 422. The average for the top 20 teams seems to be around 200. Bama knows it will get about 225 of their 280 offers accepted, while only needing 25 recruits. Tennessee seems to be just blindly blasting out offers to every 3* and above recruit, knowing out of their eventual 450 offers, they will be lucky to get their 25. Last year, Herman had very few offers out. His strategy seems to be to target recruits, as opposed to

Jimbo has 190 offers out, which is on the high side of his normal number of offers while at FSU (he averages about 180/yr, except for the spring immediately after his BCS win, where he sent out over 250). How each coach manages the number of offers out, and the relative success of the different approaches isn't something that is often discussed. People usually just bleat about bagmen, and "super-elite recruiter," instead of talking about the different approaches to recruiting, and how a coach's recruiting strategy changes over time, especially as the fortunes of their program change.

29 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I had to tie the vote up, it was crucial to maintain intellectual balance.  

So don't blame me if one or the other wins and splits this country apart even further!

Topic:  Who really needs quarterbacks, anyway?

My vote was typically (for me) intellectually imbalanced. I think that entitles me to vote twice to maintain equal imbalance.

So far we have:

Intro - 5ish min

What's happening in the world of sports, an unfiltered conversation between idiots? -15ish minutes

• Pre-season pros
  • Latest drama in the college scene

Gambling shit and commentary - 10ish minutes

• Pickem for P5 conferences
  • Introduction to squares for pro football

Raffle winners picked - 5ish minutes

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I vote that you take 1 drunk surly veteran call in per show, and a segment trolling Shaggy and badmofo.

I was thinking about the same in letting a surly veteran ( ww1 ) call n chat but saggy  (shaggy) is a echo chamber.

NOnonono Ones oneones ThHERE there there....there,,;;

Edited by TexasTroll

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So far we have:

Intro - 5ish min

What's happening in the world of sports, an unfiltered conversation between idiots? -15ish minutes

• Pre-season pros
  • Latest drama in the college scene

Gambling shit and commentary - 10ish minutes

• Pickem for P5 conferences
  • Introduction to squares for pro football

Raffle winners picked - 5ish minutes

2 minutes for sponsors.

• immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic