All Things Brisket

kevwun

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

HEB has "Deckle Fat Removed" briskets for $2.99/lb, or they have packer-style Prime brisket for $3.59/lb.

Have any of you tried the Deckle Fat Removed briskets? Are they shitty?

brisket2.jpg

Yes, but I prefer getting their prime and trimming it -- better beef.  It's fine, though

3 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Yes, but I prefer getting their prime and trimming it -- better beef.  It's fine, though

Thanks. I haven't ever noticed much difference between the prime and choice briskets I've cooked. I figure once I trim the prime brisket, I'm paying close to $4/lb. or more versus the already trimmed one.

It's not worth it to me if the deckle fat removed brisket is just a regularly trimmed choice brisket.

If it's a shitty trimmed brisket where they cut off half the good part of the brisket, then...

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Thanks. I haven't ever noticed much difference between the prime and choice briskets I've cooked. I figure once I trim the prime brisket, I'm paying close to $4/lb. or more versus the already trimmed one.

It's not worth it to me if the deckle fat removed brisket is just a regularly trimmed choice brisket.

If it's a shitty trimmed brisket where they cut off half the good part of the brisket, then...

spacer.png

SO I can only go by my anecdotal experience:  prime is more tender and more flavorful (and for me easier to get to the right point).  That's just me cooking, and my guess is that better cooks can get the choice ti be just as good.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Man I’m glad you labeled that container.  Thought the big tub of water with plastic wrapped meat floating in it and a thermometer sticking out of the top was a casserole there for a second

Do you not have a wife that would store kitty litter or some shit in it if it wasn't labeled? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, ChampKind said:

I never wrap during the cook. And I cook at nuclear-level temps. Turns out just fine

I used to fret so much about my egg not being able to hold low temps.  I tried and tried.  Just wasn't in the cards.  Good friend who's pretty "in" with all the DFW BBQ restaurants and an amazing chef himself learned me up on hotter temps.  I now cook around 275-285+ and use butcher paper towards the end of the cook.  Also saves me precious weekend time that I have so little of these days.  

Well that depends on how many pellets he has programmed to drop every hour

Random question: I remember you suggested how to properly smoke a brisket. Put it in the fridge then warm it up. What were the details? I’m about to put a 11 lb small brisket on the smoker soon (11pm-12am) and my brother wants to come by to pick it up around 1 pm. I’m thinking it’ll be done way before 1 so I’ll either have to hold it wrapped in a cooler for a while or put it in the fridge and do what you said. I think you mentioned you’d wrap in foil with a little broth and put it real low in the oven till it got warm and not to slice it till it was time to eat.

Along those lines, I’m interested in using sous vide to reheat. Can you reheat that way from frozen or just cold in the fridge? I need to do two briskets for the tailgate next weekend and I’m thinking that doing them ahead of time and reheating might be easier than staying up all night using an unfamiliar stick burner.

• Like 1

Random question: I remember you suggested how to properly smoke a brisket. Put it in the fridge then warm it up. What were the details? I’m about to put a 11 lb small brisket on the smoker soon (11pm-12am) and my brother wants to come by to pick it up around 1 pm. I’m thinking it’ll be done way before 1 so I’ll either have to hold it wrapped in a cooler for a while or put it in the fridge and do what you said. I think you mentioned you’d wrap in foil with a little broth and put it real low in the oven till it got warm and not to slice it till it was time to eat.

Reheat instructions we give our customers:

Leave it wrapped in paper and place (on a pan) in 250* oven until internal temp reaches 140*.

If your brisket is already sliced then I’d suggest putting it in foil, adding stock, then placing in oven