All Things Brisket

kevwun

I've got a question.  

What's going on with brisket when it comes out looking like bologna and really chewy?  I mean, today I went to a pretty highly-reviewed spot east of Dallas that had brisket that was damn near unedible.  And that's coming from someone who rarely bitches about food.  It had almost no bark, really chewy, almost no smoke flavor.  Did it get pulled too early?  Did it somehow get steamed instead of smoked?  I've smoked one brisket and it was actually not bad; however, I don't know enough about the process to understand what's going on per the above.  Just curious.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've got a question.  

What's going on with brisket when it comes out looking like bologna and really chewy?  I mean, today I went to a pretty highly-reviewed spot east of Dallas that had brisket that was damn near unedible.  And that's coming from someone who rarely bitches about food.  It had almost no bark, really chewy, almost no smoke flavor.  Did it get pulled too early?  Did it somehow get steamed instead of smoked?  I've smoked one brisket and it was actually not bad; however, I don't know enough about the process to understand what's going on per the above.  Just curious.

4 T's? Aren't many good places out that direction. I had great BBQ at 4T's.

Alright gurus, I need guidance.

Just picked up two prime whole briskets, 12 and 14 pounds. I know how to prep them, no concerns there. What I’m concerned about is timing.

The plan is to eat Saturday at 6pm. Big pot luck tailgate, 40-50 people. On site I have access to a stick burner I’ve never used and a pile of oak starting Friday evening. What time would you start the fire and then put them on?

Appreciate the input.

Depends on the weather and what temp you want to cook them at.  If it's not cold and windy, I would light the fire early enough to have them on around 7 or 8 at the latest.  I usually cook between 275 and 300.  If it the weather is shit, you are going to want to start earlier than that.  Do you know anything about the smoker?   That is also going to effect start time.  If it was one made by a solid manufacturer, I wouldn't worry.  If it was a weekend project made by someone who doesn't know much about how smokers work, it's going to change when you need to start cooking.

Edited by kevwun

Weather looks good, mid sixties and sunny during the day, not much wind. The smoker is a single-axle trailer hitch job and this guy doesn’t skimp on his toys. That said it doesn’t mean he knows anything about smokers.

I was thinking get the pit going around 5am and meat on at 6 to give me a little wiggle room. Definitely plan on wrapping and going closer to 300°.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is heresy in Texas, but has anyone ever tried a Jewish-style braised brisket?  I have to admit, after watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I'm more than a little intrigued.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/brisket-in-oven/?browse_eid=d25bd4b6-af3b-4708-8dcb-61b3d0005e0b

Oven cooked brisket

No aluminum turkey pan or liquid smoke required...

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

I know this is heresy in Texas, but has anyone ever tried a Jewish-style braised brisket?  I have to admit, after watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I'm more than a little intrigued.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/brisket-in-oven/?browse_eid=d25bd4b6-af3b-4708-8dcb-61b3d0005e0b

Braised_Brisket_ThermapenClassic_Chefalarm_Signals_Compressed-54-scaled.jpg

No aluminum turkey pan or liquid smoke required...

65bbc2a5368732919e4752fc0ffa4f6c.jpg
  • Like 1

14.5 lb before trimming. Smoke setting for an hour.  Cook time thereafter 10 hours — set to 225, but it was cold so moved it up to 250 to keep the temp.  Wrapped in butcher paper when it hit 160 , increased the temp to 275 until it hit 204.  That is what I have been doing for some time

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...