All Things Brisket

kevwun

Gonna cook my first wagyu brisket on Sunday for the Packers game assuming my fil can find one this week.  Some friends did one a couple months ago and it was great.

Not sure if you’re near Kyle at all but the Kyle H-E-B plus always has American wagyu briskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone use a Primo or other Komodo and get a really good ring on your brisket? I’m using B&B lump and it’s just not doing the trick.

Prime packer from Costco, nicely trimmed and not excessively seasoned w S&P. Sat room temp for maybe 90 mins out of fridge. Put on at 225* and held there for 10 hrs. Wrapped in foil and went another 2 hrs around 280-300*. Pulled at butter probe. Was 205*. Sat unwrapped for 15 mins. Wrapped in new foil and towel for 2 hrs before slicing.

Bark was good, but hardly any ring and the flat was pretty dry.

I guess I’ll try butcher paper next time. Do I need some wood chunks?

Anyone use a Primo or other Komodo and get a really good ring on your brisket? I’m using B&B lump and it’s just not doing the trick.

Prime packer from Costco, nicely trimmed and not excessively seasoned w S&P. Sat room temp for maybe 90 mins out of fridge. Put on at 225* and held there for 10 hrs. Wrapped in foil and went another 2 hrs around 280-300*. Pulled at butter probe. Was 205*. Sat unwrapped for 15 mins. Wrapped in new foil and towel for 2 hrs before slicing.

Bark was good, but hardly any ring and the flat was pretty dry.

I guess I’ll try butcher paper next time. Do I need some wood chunks?

Definitely throw in some wood chunks, but i don't get a great ring on my BGE. Doesn't affect flavor or moisture at all, though.

Wood chunks during the first few hours of cooking will definitely give you a better smoke flavor.  I don't think the science supports a smoke ring is actually a product of smoke.  

I smoked some beef plate ribs a few weeks ago on my kamado and they had a great smoke ring, so smoke rings can occur with kamados.   

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have this happen? I know all briskets are different and they’re done when they’re done, but this one was stubborn. The WSM was rolling along rock solid at 240, I wrapped at 165 like usual, and then the brisket stalled at 200. The temp didn’t budge for nearly three hours before it finally probed. By then, I had a good bit of liquid in the foil that dissolved away some of the bark. The end result had good flavor and definitely passed the pull test (which is all that matters), but is there something I could have done differently? Not wrapped at all? Put it back on unwrapped when it stalled at 200?

273a6442cde65ec7ba1dbaa2d7f882a2.plist

d9be13b48c9d74bc37086b4fb6773416.plist

07bfd4770839c7409016904b07991a0b.plist

3b67eb382f6387e9f788ceb4c493f61e.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve never had a problem with bark and I always wrap in foil. Don’t be shy with the coarse black pepper. That helps that bark. Wrapping shouldn’t effect bark look though, only the feel of it would be effected by foil vs paper. Bark should be smoked and final before wrapping it.

I tried butcher paper once,but I usually add a lil liquid (secret) before wrapping. And the paper just wouldn’t hold it.

Anyone else freezing their smoked brisket? I’ve always tried and failed to polish one off in 3-4 days and we end up throwing away quite a bit. My last two, though, I’ve divided into 4 or 5 portions and froze. As needed, I pull a bag to defrost in the refrigerator for a day and then toss on grill or nuke to reheat and they come out excellent. I’m going to start buying bigger ones rather than the smallest available.

19 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Anyone else freezing their smoked brisket? I’ve always tried and failed to polish one off in 3-4 days and we end up throwing away quite a bit. My last two, though, I’ve divided into 4 or 5 portions and froze. As needed, I pull a bag to defrost in the refrigerator for a day and then toss on grill or nuke to reheat and they come out excellent. I’m going to start buying bigger ones rather than the smallest available.

Absolutely! When I fire up the pit I try to always cook at least two. Split into 4 servings, vacuum seal, and freeze.  Drop in the sous vide or a pot of water off boil to reheat. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Wifey smoked a decent brisket yet you still got that shitty takeout?

Does not compute.

The bad takeout brisket was about a week or so ago. We usually have some vaccum sealed in the deep freeze, but we were out and I wanted some bbq really bad. I'm still pissed off about it.

Edited by immortal13

Taking advantage of this extra time at home and smoking a brisket today. I used one of the smaller ~10lb ones from H-E-B which I haven’t done before so will see how it does. So far just 2 hours in I’m at 135 internal.

Taking advantage of this extra time at home and smoking a brisket today. I used one of the smaller ~10lb ones from H-E-B which I haven’t done before so will see how it does. So far just 2 hours in I’m at 135 internal.

7d32fffca08fcfab42d3108109e58654.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

It'll stall out as usual.  What temp are you cooking at?

And yes, smoking food is a natural preservative.  It's been done for thousands of years.

It'll stall out as usual.  What temp are you cooking at?

And yes, smoking food is a natural preservative.  It's been done for thousands of years.

Keeping between 230-250. Where I had the temp it showed about 156 at the stall but other areas showed just over 160 when I was wrapping.

Hit the local supermarket last night.  Not prepping, just run of the mill items.  Deodorant.  Creamer.  Odds and ends.  Of course I'm surveying the carnage and the meat isle...the ONLY items left are the briskets.  Chuckling to myself that  the cause is probably that the hipsters and suburbanites don't know what the hell to do with them....

• Like 3