All Things Brisket

kevwun

Need some brisket help

No issues smoking a whole brisket (have posted pics on this thread).  I bought a half brisket (point cut) the other day (was walking past in in H-E-B and decided to cook a brisket, but it was already 9:00 am and too late to start a whole).  I’ve tried this before, with the same results.  I use the same technique/temp, wrap in butcher paper, etc.  Taste is always fine, but I can’t get it as tender as a whole.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Need some brisket help

No issues smoking a whole brisket (have posted pics on this thread).  I bought a half brisket (point cut) the other day (was walking past in in H-E-B and decided to cook a brisket, but it was already 9:00 am and too late to start a whole).  I’ve tried this before, with the same results.  I use the same technique/temp, wrap in butcher paper, etc.  Taste is always fine, but I can’t get it as tender as a whole.  Any ideas?

Cook longer maybe?  What temp are you wrapping?  And then pulling?  Maybe pull @ 203-205?

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Cook longer maybe?  What temp are you wrapping?  And then pulling?  Maybe pull @ 203-205?

Wrapped at 165, pulled at 203, which is basically what I always do.  Just can't figure it out.  I mean, it's not tough, had a nice smoke ring and bark, tasted good but wasn't the tender meat you'd normally see, and that's been my experience every time I try one of the half-cuts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Wrapped at 165, pulled at 203, which is basically what I always do.  Just can't figure it out.  I mean, it's not tough, had a nice smoke ring and bark, tasted good but wasn't the tender meat you'd normally see, and that's been my experience every time I try one of the half-cuts.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the half cuts. They never seem to turn out as good. We just always smoke a whole one and after sliced I vaccum seal most of it and put it in the deep freeze

I have a question. An ethical question really.  We are about to buy a 1/4 cow.  I could probably ask for a brisket cut. But, I don’t own a smoker. Would have to cook in an oven or on a propane grill.  Should I even bother?  If so, any suggestions on how to prepare it?

Hopefully it’s a steer, not a cow. I wouldn’t get a brisket cut unless you really love roast beef.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:05 PM, Lurch said:

Anyone else freezing their smoked brisket? I’ve always tried and failed to polish one off in 3-4 days and we end up throwing away quite a bit. My last two, though, I’ve divided into 4 or 5 portions and froze. As needed, I pull a bag to defrost in the refrigerator for a day and then toss on grill or nuke to reheat and they come out excellent. I’m going to start buying bigger ones rather than the smallest available.

Got a vacuum sealer last fall.  Now, I freeze leftover brisket slices 3 per bag.  About 10 minutes in simmering water, and it's good to go.  Much better than reheating in an oven after a day in the fridge unsealed.  That's my plan for the packer I'm smoking tomorrow for my weeks to come in the house.  Got a pork shoulder to do, too, but don't know my plans for leftover on that one yet.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I’m having a first.  I’ve never had a brisket break straight through a stall and cook so damn fast.  Not even a micro stall.  Put the 15 lb packer on at 9am At 245-250 on smoker and its at 194 degrees six hours later!   Shit hasn’t even been able to develop a damn bark!!

WTF?!?!?!

I’m having a first.  I’ve never had a brisket break straight through a stall and cook so damn fast.  Not even a micro stall.  Put the 15 lb packer on at 9am At 245-250 on smoker and its at 194 degrees six hours later!   Shit hasn’t even been able to develop a damn bark!!

WTF?!?!?!

Damn. That is fast especially for not wrapping it...(didn’t sound like you wrapped).

Check a different temp probe? I keep one in it during the cook, but usually double check temp with another probe. I’ve had the main one read too high sometimes...usually when it is wrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF?!?!?!
Funny, same thing happened here with that New Zealand brisket. 14lb cooked in 7 hrs. Straight through stall. I noticed it didn't have much of that hard fat cap, just had a good amount of the soft fat that cooks off.

I'm about to carve up, so we will see how it turned out.