All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

This is what I had hoped for.  Instead I got brick. 

My first one a few months ago on the egg was too. This time I did the Franklin method at 275 degrees with a water pan....was the best one I’ve ever smoked. Salt and pepper only as well. Like it should be.

I have a question. An ethical question really.  We are about to buy a 1/4 cow.  I could probably ask for a brisket cut. But, I don’t own a smoker. Would have to cook in an oven or on a propane grill.  Should I even bother?  If so, any suggestions on how to prepare it?
The Jewish women in my family say hell yeah. I'd put their oven baked brisket up against anyone.

How long does a brisket cook take if you go Franklin style at 275* (approximately)?  Have a 14# packer that is going to get cooked in the next day or two, but I'm not sure I want to do the overnight cook.  Would rather just get up early and get it on in the morning.

I primarily do pulled pork and baby backs, so I'm an experienced smoker but haven't done all that many briskets and they've all been done around 225*.

How long does a brisket cook take if you go Franklin style at 275* (approximately)?  Have a 14# packer that is going to get cooked in the next day or two, but I'm not sure I want to do the overnight cook.  Would rather just get up early and get it on in the morning.

I primarily do pulled pork and baby backs, so I'm an experienced smoker but haven't done all that many briskets and they've all been done around 225*.
Probably 11-12 hr cook.
  • Like 1

I know Franklin says to wrap when your bark is done, but I want to eat in 4 hours or so and am sitting in the middle of the stall at 165*.  Fire is at 260 or so.  I would like a little more color, but it looks pretty good as is.  Thoughts?  I'll go snap a picture and post it for reference.

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t think that’s true...

https://youtu.be/lnRRDSYgdmw

That's what his BBQ cookbook says.

"Conventionally, at home, if you're just cooking one or two briskets, this may be around 6 hours into a cook.  But again, this decision (to wrap) should be based on color and bark formation more than any sort of time parameters...When the color is right - that is, when I spray the bark to remove any ash and see that the true color of the bark is dark, nearly black - I pull the meat out and wrap it."

But as I mentioned, I would like to eat at a reasonable hour.  I put it on at 6:30.  Would like to eat by 7.  It's 2:45 here now and I'm sitting at 168*.  I think I probably need to wrap to power through the stall, no?

I'm back on team wrap in paper after quite some time on no wrap.  But for me, 165 definitely comes  around the 12 hour mark, and the bark is well developed by then (see pic of finished product above).  It looks like a meteorite, but is tender as can be.  I don't think it ultimately saves you more than an hour on the cook (I'm on team low and slow (about 238 F per my thermometer), but my no wraps  definitely were a bit more dry toward the lean end of the flat versus wrapping in paper, and the smokiness wasn't too much more discernible on the unwrapped briskets.  The only advantage I could see to no wrap was my own laziness and not wanting to mess with wrapping it (not that it's such a big chore).  Some of that may have been a result of me trying to rush the cook with temperature increases later, which you can get away with more easily if you wrap.  

This all applies to the WSM.  YMMV on other cookers.

Edited by dcbc

7 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Brisket naoch, brisket enchiladas, brisket on a bun, brisket with eggs, brisket chili, brisket taco, brisket hash, brisket migas, brisket burger, brisket pizza, brisket chili (wait said that one), brisket slider, brisket quesadilla, brisket pablanos, brisket...

xl1XYq8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Got a whole prime packer in the freezer that I’ll bust out soon. There’s only four of us and we can’t really share, any ideas for brisket leftovers? I’m thinking breakfast tacos, maybe chili.

We had chili tonight with Sunday’s leftovers. Magical. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s a migas?

Oh dude 

mexican migas are basically old corn tortillas mixed with beaten eggs and cooked in a skillet until the eggs cook and the tortillas are super soft, plus some  cheese and veggies and jalapeños. 
The name means scraps or something. 

the kitchen crew at my last job in Austin made them every Friday. I’d get them with fried potatoes on the side and two flour tortillas and make tacos. So good. 
e3948f11a93286277153426cfcf233de.jpg

and I bet some brisket would work very well in there. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 4

Oh dude 
mexican migas are basically old corn tortillas mixed with beaten eggs and cooked in a skillet until the eggs cook and the tortillas are super soft, plus some  cheese and veggies and jalapeños. 
The name means scraps or something. 

the kitchen crew at my last job in Austin made them every Friday. I’d get them with fried potatoes on the side and two flour tortillas and make tacos. So good. 
e3948f11a93286277153426cfcf233de.jpg
and I bet some brisket would work very well in there. 

Ah so sort of a cousin to the chilaquiles. Thanks!