All Things Brisket

kevwun

53 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I don’t see a pulled pork thread, so I will Post this here.  Decided to do a pork shoulder instead of a brisket today:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Love seeing this. Don’t understand why some people in my neck of the woods chop it into fine bits and smother it in vinegar sauce.

9 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Love seeing this. Don’t understand why some people in my neck of the woods chop it into fine bits and smother it in vinegar sauce.

I don't ever sauce pulled pork, it's so unnecessary.  Just capture the drippings as it smokes, and reintroduce after it's been pulled. Tastes delicious, so much better than putting stupid vinegar sauce all over it.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I don't ever sauce pulled pork, it's so unnecessary.  Just capture the drippings as it smokes, and reintroduce after it's been pulled. Tastes delicious, so much better than putting stupid vinegar sauce all over it.

That’s exactly what I did. The drippings are all it needs.

Does look good HouTex,  at 290 how long did it cook and what was the trimmed weight? I have been cooking at 275 and like the quicker cook time.

It was 14.5 lbs untrimmed. So I’m guessing about 12.5 lbs trimmed. I slept a bit longer than i planned this morning so I started the cook at 9:15 and I wrapped it at 3:00 at 170 degrees about half way through the stall and took it out of the BGE and finished it in the oven inside at 290 degrees. At 5:30 the brisket read 203 degrees and the probe went in like butter. I took it out and it rested for about an hour when it was served.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, deft said:

How long can I rest in the cooler?

All day?  Several days?   Until you need to get out to eat or use the restroom?

Personally I think this is taking the shelter-in-place order a little too strongly, but we all have to make our own way.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s just not a thing here for whatever reason. Lots of Americanized places with chilaquiles but never seen migas on a menu.

Chilaquiles is a dish that's common, in various forms, all over Latin America.  Migas are more Mexican and Tex-Mexican.

Where are you located, Buzz? 

I smoked a beautiful 13.5# brisket on Tuesday. We hammered it...hard, then on Wednesday, we decided on this for lunch the next day.

Toasted whole grain bagels, cream cheese (Greek cream cheese this time) on both halves, chopped burnt ends with a drizzle of bbq sauce stuffed in the middle.

Gotdamn glorious. Can’t believe I didn’t take any pics. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Don't think I've ever seen or heard of a 6-hour stall.  Did you pull and re-seat your probe to be sure it was catching the right part of the muscle?

Anyway, yeah, sure, you can go to the oven with it at this point.  

Yeah I've probed three spots so far all the same. I left the probe out to see if it would adjust to air temp and it did, so I know it's not the probe being faulty. 

I'll take yalls advice with the oven. 

Thanks gents 

• Like 1

I am here to subject myself to ridicule and judgement.  I bought a big packer a week ago and proceeded to watch some videos on separating the point from the flat.  I'm trying a sous vide the brisket and it needs to be broken down to fit into vacuum bags to sous vide and I want to save some for later so I don't have 18lbs of brisket for the next few days and none next week.  Also, my ghetto smoker is busted and I can't get the parts to "fix" it under the current circumstances.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

The plan is to sous vide for 24hrs and finish on my little gas grill with a smoker box and wood chips.  It's won't be as good but it beats no smoke at all.

If all that wasn't bad enough...  I got a little carried away trimming fat and silver skin off this ungodly fatty brisket only to realize I trimmed all the fat cap off of the flat.

Ahhhh...  needed to vent.  This is not going awesome.  

3 hours ago, Loco said:

and I want to save some for later so I don't have 18lbs of brisket for the next few days and none next week. 

Specific to this, brisket keeps very well after cook, you might as well cook it all now and then vac it unsliced and freeze. Warm again with sous vide around 140F and slice when you want to eat the other half next week. (it's what Franklin recommends with their frozen cooked briskets)

• Like 1

I am here to subject myself to ridicule and judgement.  I bought a big packer a week ago and proceeded to watch some videos on separating the point from the flat.  I'm trying a sous vide the brisket and it needs to be broken down to fit into vacuum bags to sous vide and I want to save some for later so I don't have 18lbs of brisket for the next few days and none next week.  Also, my ghetto smoker is busted and I can't get the parts to "fix" it under the current circumstances.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html
The plan is to sous vide for 24hrs and finish on my little gas grill with a smoker box and wood chips.  It's won't be as good but it beats no smoke at all.
If all that wasn't bad enough...  I got a little carried away trimming fat and silver skin off this ungodly fatty brisket only to realize I trimmed all the fat cap off of the flat.
Ahhhh...  needed to vent.  This is not going awesome.  

Judgment
  • Like 1

ZAiJOBl.jpg

MOMRsuS.jpg

I finally broke my brisket cherry and smoked a 12.5 lb packer prime on my 18" Weber Kettle. Considering my amateur status and amateur equipment, I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. Good flavor, solid bark, decently tender and pretty damn good quarantine eatin. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

ZAiJOBl.jpg

MOMRsuS.jpg

I finally broke my brisket cherry and smoked a 12.5 lb packer prime on my 18" Weber Kettle. Considering my amateur status and amateur equipment, I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. Good flavor, solid bark, decently tender and pretty damn good quarantine eatin. 

Cherry?  On brisket?  What the hell kinda damn yankee blah blah blah...

/shaggy (internet) surly brisket mafia

just kiddin buddy...I’m sure it’s great

21 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Specific to this, brisket keeps very well after cook, you might as well cook it all now and then vac it unsliced and freeze. Warm again with sous vide around 140F and slice when you want to eat the other half next week. (it's what Franklin recommends with their frozen cooked briskets)

Honestly, it does great even if you slice and then freeze.  But unsliced is probably better.

Anyone have thoughts on a good food saver machine? I'm talking about something commercial. Had a consumer grade food saver a few years ago and hated it. It would not seal if there was liquid in the bag, and that drove me crazy. I want something that seals no matter what is in there.

I’ve never had a problem with bark and I always wrap in foil. Don’t be shy with the coarse black pepper. That helps that bark. Wrapping shouldn’t effect bark look though, only the feel of it would be effected by foil vs paper. Bark should be smoked and final before wrapping it.

I tried butcher paper once,but I usually add a lil liquid (secret) before wrapping. And the paper just wouldn’t hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beef tallow? Best for me is to make it from the trimmings of multiple briskets and then use it to boat each brisket for the crutch.

Here in northern Virginia I can usually only find flats.  My wife found a full packer and I’m smoking it tomorrow.   My question is about wrapping.  I have no butcher paper.  How bad is it to wrap it in foil to power through the stall?

Am I subject to the judgement and ridicule or is what I have to do acceptable considering the situation?   I will probably have to finish it in the oven.  Thanks for any and all help, advice, whatever. 

Here in northern Virginia I can usually only find flats.  My wife found a full packer and I’m smoking it tomorrow.   My question is about wrapping.  I have no butcher paper.  How bad is it to wrap it in foil to power through the stall?
Am I subject to the judgement and ridicule or is what I have to do acceptable considering the situation?   I will probably have to finish it in the oven.  Thanks for any and all help, advice, whatever. 
Foil works fine if that's what you have.

7 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Worth a quick watch...