All Things Brisket

kevwun

12 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

Posed pics in a crossfit shirt trimming a brisket is a bit much

Action shot man. Plus it’s the only kind of shirt I own...

And we own the gym, so yeah. 

Edited by jw4381

5 hours ago, jw4381 said:

I found out this morning that there’s a forest fire somewhere around here. That was probably what was causing the problem, not me.

Got any pictures of that finished, sliced, ready to deliver to my house brisket?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

Looks like it turned out perfect. 18 hours is a long ass cook, what temp were you at? Either way nice job on it

I know right?

i’m pretty sure the problem was me crashing from 1 o’clock till 5 o’clock and the temperature went down so far to about 180. Otherwise I was up at 250 to 280 from 5:15 AM till 4 PM.

Thanks. It is really good. 

Not Austin, but the one I got at Smith's (Kroger) was $55 for 13.86 lbs with the shopper's card discount thingy. Plus I went early in the day because later in the day the meat section has been picked over lately. Hadn't seen a brisket in quite some time.

• Like 1

I’m glad I have y’all to learn from. Got an old high school friend who’s been smoking for years that helped me out too. 

The whole subject fascinates me and I’m psyched to have the tools to learn this stuff. 

It's not like you are smoking on an apartment patio, looks like you got a large lot and aren't making briskets on a daily basis, so yeah, tell them to pound sand.
Never had any complaints from neighbors but a good fire shouldn't be belching smoke either. I'd be more concerned about creosote than neighbors griping
  • Like 2

I’m glad I have y’all to learn from. Got an old high school friend who’s been smoking for years that helped me out too. 

The whole subject fascinates me and I’m psyched to have the tools to learn this stuff. 
Nothing better than firing up a smoker at 4am and chilling on the patio while everyone else is asleep. Good excuse to have a beer at dawn too, can't have a smoker churning without some sort of beverage to sip on.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

what are you austin guys seeing on brisket prices.  I am kicking myself for not throwing 5 in the freezer when this shit was ramping up. If HEB is open I may have to make a run next week. 

I was looking online yesterday.  WalMart has them for $2.79 per lb.  Might be choice, might be old retreaded tire grade.  Just depends on the day with them.  But I'm still doing curbside for the foreseeable future.  So I'll order one at some point and work with what I can get. 

14 hours ago, NateHitch said:
16 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
It's not like you are smoking on an apartment patio, looks like you got a large lot and aren't making briskets on a daily basis, so yeah, tell them to pound sand.

Never had any complaints from neighbors but a good fire shouldn't be belching smoke either. I'd be more concerned about creosote than neighbors griping

Yeah, it wasn't doing that.

Anyone here smoked a brisket (or anything else) using burr oak? I have plenty dead burr oak that needs to be pruned, but the only other time I used it, the meat (pork) had an off flavor. I think it may have had some moss or lichen on it. Don’t ask how that may have gotten into the firebox...let’s just say kids were involved. I normally use post oak, pecan, hickory, or mesquite.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 5/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, jw4381 said:

Yeah. I’m a fuckin amateur.

It is pretty damn good I have to say.

18 hour cook. 1 hour rest.

It looks like it came out absolutely perfect to me. That's how my bark comes out too. I don't trim it as much as well but you did trim it closer to Aaron Franklin's preferred shape than we all do. He really has to worry about aerodynamics around the brisket since he's making tons of them and can't baby them but I can baby mine and it's cooking in a different type of smoker.

• Like 1