All Things Brisket

kevwun

Also started using this Weber Connect hub. Runs off wifi and bluetooth. Great so far but hoping they add features like temp low and high alerts for each probe. These probes are thinner and easier to insert than my old retired my Maverick probes.

9a0349f105400eeabfab53cf9bded66f.jpg

90d28cd6aea876fa74710ff93c991fc2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Fukin $5.15/lb prime. Should have bought last wk when it was 3.59. Smoked two 9lbers for family.

But nonetheless here are the money pics:

(No filters but iphone cam is great when it wants to be.)

5d24964afd5e6ae6415aba1b7865775e.jpg

03a93dea0d55ebbddee1d70fc62efed4.jpg

861b59388080ac8b46fc3ac5a5bfaebb.jpg

Spot on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why the gloves?  I wash my hands before and after I touch food.  Why do you wear gloves to handle brisket?  A lot do.  Trying to understand why.  Because maybe I should also.

It's pretty warm.  Glove keeps the heat just enough off the hand to slice things up a lot of slices at a time.  Plus, hands washed or not, if I'm slicing for others, I think they appreciate seeing a gloved hand (most remark about it positively in my experience).  I know I do. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

But why?

Wife picked up a 6 lb flat for this weekend.  A little tricky but I think I have them figured out.

You can like how something smells, and, at the same time, not want to wear that scent as cologne.

Edited by conVINCEd

On 5/20/2020 at 6:23 PM, utxmike05 said:

Also started using this Weber Connect hub. Runs off wifi and bluetooth. Great so far but hoping they add features like temp low and high alerts for each probe. These probes are thinner and easier to insert than my old retired my Maverick probes.

9a0349f105400eeabfab53cf9bded66f.jpg

90d28cd6aea876fa74710ff93c991fc2.png

How do you like the Webber Connect Hub? I'd like to use something that works with my home wifi, since the coverage is much wider than the Bluetooth range on my Igrill device. I have an Iphone.

How do you like the Webber Connect Hub? I'd like to use something that works with my home wifi, since the coverage is much wider than the Bluetooth range on my Igrill device. I have an Iphone.

Third time using and no issues. Wifi option is great for roaming around the house away from the pit wout losing connection. It switches between bluetooth and wifi on its own.

Plus for using your phone to monitor, so you dont need a receiver to carry around.

The option for 4 probes is nice but only used 2 for meat so far at the same time. And 1 for the ambient pit temp. Kit includes the ambient robe and bracket + 1 meat probe. Have to buy extra meat probes.

• Like 1

I need some advice.

I'm looking to start learning to smoke. Would eventually like to get to brisket after starting smaller. I've got kids, working on a dissertation, and full time job so I'm looking more for a set it and forget it situation. I realize this subset of the Surl might be averse to this, but it's just where I am. In the research I've done, it seems electric smokers are a no-go and charcoal/wood are too demanding of time (see above time constraints) and have a steep learning curve. So, I'm thinking a pellet smoker is the way to go for my situation, but I want something that is going to be worth buying and eventually using for brisket. 

I have a propane grill that I'm happy with and is only a few years old, so I've been thinking a vertical pellet smoker might be the best option for me.

I'm considering these, but am open to suggestions:

Camp Chef XXL: https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Vertical-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B07L48P5LP 

Pit Boss 5 Series: https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/vertical-smokers/5-series-vertical-smoker-pellet

What do y'all think? Do you have any experience with either of these?

Edited by KYHorn

I started with an electric Brinkman smoker.  Good cheap way to get your feet wet. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain now. Once you learn it, it's pretty much set and forget.
Don't know about the ones you posted. Friend has a pellet Traeger pro 575 and says he hates it.  Said it's a finicky POS and always acting up, has to vacuum out the used pellets, and the app only works half the time. 

14 minutes ago, McFly said:

I started with an electric Brinkman smoker.  Good cheap way to get your feet wet. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain now. Once you learn it, it's pretty much set and forget.
Don't know about the ones you posted. Friend has a pellet Traeger pro 575 and says he hates it.  Said it's a finicky POS and always acting up, has to vacuum out the used pellets, and the app only works half the time. 

I've heard electrics don't have much smoke flavor. Was that your experience? 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

WSM imo. But I am kinda dogmatic when it come to cooking with sawdust. 

Oh you pellet haters.  Had a Traeger for years. I’ve replaced the fan once, the firepot once, and upgraded the controller by choice.  All inexpensive.  Easy to use, easy to clean, and I can go back to sleep.  I’ve posted results on this board and the beef ribs board.  If you know how to use it (and it doesn’t’ take take long) you can get plenty of smoke and a good ring and bark.  I’m not knocking other pits, Or styles, because they are  all great if you use them properly.

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 3

I've got a 17 lb that won't fit on my little smoker so I cut it in half. It's a vertical smoker so one half on 2 of the 3 racks, ribs on the other rack. Is that going to change the cooking time in any way? I know, aim for the right temp but never had to do this and would like to know if this is going to throw me off at all.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:20 PM, utxmike05 said:

Fukin $5.15/lb prime. Should have bought last wk when it was 3.59. Smoked two 9lbers for family.

But nonetheless here are the money pics:

(No filters but iphone cam is great when it wants to be.)

5d24964afd5e6ae6415aba1b7865775e.jpg

03a93dea0d55ebbddee1d70fc62efed4.jpg

861b59388080ac8b46fc3ac5a5bfaebb.jpg

ice cube friday movie GIF

I've got a 17 lb that won't fit on my little smoker so I cut it in half. It's a vertical smoker so one half on 2 of the 3 racks, ribs on the other rack. Is that going to change the cooking time in any way? I know, aim for the right temp but never had to do this and would like to know if this is going to throw me off at all.
How did you cut it? You have one side that is mostly flat?

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

How did you cut it? You have one side that is mostly flat?

Yep, just cut it across the middle. 

9 hours ago, KYHorn said:

I need some advice.

I'm looking to start learning to smoke. Would eventually like to get to brisket after starting smaller. I've got kids, working on a dissertation, and full time job so I'm looking more for a set it and forget it situation. I realize this subset of the Surl might be averse to this, but it's just where I am. In the research I've done, it seems electric smokers are a no-go and charcoal/wood are too demanding of time (see above time constraints) and have a steep learning curve. So, I'm thinking a pellet smoker is the way to go for my situation, but I want something that is going to be worth buying and eventually using for brisket. 

I have a propane grill that I'm happy with and is only a few years old, so I've been thinking a vertical pellet smoker might be the best option for me.

I'm considering these, but am open to suggestions:

Camp Chef XXL: https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Vertical-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B07L48P5LP 

Pit Boss 5 Series: https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/vertical-smokers/5-series-vertical-smoker-pellet

What do y'all think? Do you have any experience with either of these?

Get a Weber Smokey Mountain. They learning curve is short. The brands you linked have way too many 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon, and their lower Fake Spot grade means the percentage of low star reviews is even higher. The WSM has very, very few poor reviews, and I’m pretty sure they’re made in the USA (that’s important to me).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Get a Weber Smokey Mountain. They learning curve is short. The brands you linked have way too many 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon, and their lower Fake Spot grade means the percentage of low star reviews is even higher. The WSM has very, very few poor reviews, and I’m pretty sure they’re made in the USA (that’s important to me).

This.  Get a WSM, preferably the 22.5" one.  Load up charcoal and 3 wood chunks of your choice.  Open all vents low and high  Light up 12 of the coals in a chimney, and dump them in the middle.  Foil the water pan (I prefer two clay pot bases in there instead of water).  Assemble.  When it's up to temp (using an external thermometer), close down two of the three lower vents, close the third one down to a pencil width (that's metric), and leave the top vent open.  Once the thick white smoke clears up a bit, add meat.  Cook, wrap, maybe don't wrap, probe done, temp done, read up on it.  But when you get the latter part right, it will be world class as far as you're concerned.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
9 hours ago, El Diablo said:
Yep, just cut it across the middle. 

I would guess the flat would cook more quickly because it is thinner, maybe give the other side an hour or two head start?

I'm up and it's on. This is what I'll do. 

11 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Oh you pellet haters.  Had a Traeger for years. I’ve replaced the fan once, the firepot once, and upgraded the controller by choice.  All inexpensive.  Easy to use, easy to clean, and I can go back to sleep.  I’ve posted results on this board and the beef ribs board.  If you know how to use it (and it doesn’t’ take take long) you can get plenty of smoke and a good ring and bark.  I’m not knocking other pits, Or styles, because they are  all great if you use them properly.

What model would you recommend? 

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

What model would you recommend? 

On Traeger: I have what was called the “Texas Elite,” which is now, I think, the Pro 780.  They’ve added to other series since I bought mine, that go up in price and features (Ironwood and Timberline).  At the price for the Timberline, I’d buy a Yoder.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread to BBQ pits / smokers.  Seems like there was one a few years back about a BBQ trailer build.  May have been on the old site.  I did a search, but didn't find anything.  If I'm missing the more appropriate thread, fire away with the neg rep.  

Anyhow, I've embarked on a project.  I had my masons build this.  Yesterday, I set the vertical pipes for the counterweight pulley system.  I'm starting on the bulk of the steel install in a few weeks.  Getting the doors laser cut next week.  Totally winging it so far.  Couldn't find anything close to drawings or plans online, but it's basically a single fire box + main cooking chamber (both on counter-weighted pulleys), and vertical chamber.  I'll post more pics as it comes together.  Fire away with comments or criticism.   

spacer.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I couldn't find a dedicated thread to BBQ pits / smokers.  Seems like there was one a few years back about a BBQ trailer build.  May have been on the old site.  I did a search, but didn't find anything.  If I'm missing the more appropriate thread, fire away with the neg rep.  

Anyhow, I've embarked on a project.  I had my masons build this.  Yesterday, I set the vertical pipes for the counterweight pulley system.  I'm starting on the bulk of the steel install in a few weeks.  Getting the doors laser cut next week.  Totally winging it so far.  Couldn't find anything close to drawings or plans online, but it's basically a single fire box + main cooking chamber (both on counter-weighted pulleys), and vertical chamber.  I'll post more pics as it comes together.  Fire away with comments or criticism.   

spacer.png

Cool project.

Here is the smoker thread.

• Like 1

Weirdest thing just happened.  Became part of a Wagyu beef club attached to a winery I love.  They delivered a brisket which I was pumped about. To my dismay, when it arrived it was less than 6 pounds and just the flat side.  Trimmed up a little fat and cheated and put on the green egg since it wasn’t worth firing the smoker up.  Used pecan and apple at 225 to 250, it was at 195 in 3 1/2 hours. Weird.  It also blew up and went from a couple inches thick pre-cook to almost 6 inches afterward.  Also weird.  Let it rest and carved it.  It wasn’t dry af or chewy but just not a lot of flavor. 

I would think the flavor is the lack of time but wanted some thoughts.  Also, any clue why it blew up from 2-6 inches?  Or, is it just the type of beef since it doesn’t have a ton of fat?

should have taken pics but pretty sure it will show up on the steel shank thread as chopped beef shortly.