All Things Brisket

kevwun

You pulled it at 195* after 3 1/2 hours?

No idea about Wagyu or fat cap only, but I’d guess you pulled it way too early. The probe like butter method probably less reliable in fat cap. I’d probably take it to 205* next time to be sure. That extra hour is going to capture more smoke, too.

The rising is weird too. I wonder if that is from shipping prep. Had it been frozen? If so, did it fully thaw? Did it sit on counter for an our or so before going on?

Yeah, when I probed it at 3 hours it was already 195.  At that point, I expected it to be in the stall point and need another few hours at least.  I gave it another half hour and probed again and it was actually a little higher so I pulled and let rest.  

it did come frozen from Cali and moved straight to my freezer a month or so ago. Thawed, brought to room temp (I think, maybe this was the issue) and then put on. 

I am not a pro but not a novice either and that was worse than my first brisket I ever made. Don’t think I will be doing one of those again.  

25 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

The blond with the sexy stockings smoked you a brisket? Fuckin' A, man!

Yes sir! She is actually an expert at smoking meat, and a fantastic cook in general. We are in the process of buying a bigger house/ranch, and as soon as the dust settles on that, I'm going to look at buying or leasing a space for her to open up a restaurant 

Edited by immortal13

On 5/25/2020 at 12:17 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

I couldn't find a dedicated thread to BBQ pits / smokers.  Seems like there was one a few years back about a BBQ trailer build.  May have been on the old site.  I did a search, but didn't find anything.  If I'm missing the more appropriate thread, fire away with the neg rep.  

Anyhow, I've embarked on a project.  I had my masons build this.  Yesterday, I set the vertical pipes for the counterweight pulley system.  I'm starting on the bulk of the steel install in a few weeks.  Getting the doors laser cut next week.  Totally winging it so far.  Couldn't find anything close to drawings or plans online, but it's basically a single fire box + main cooking chamber (both on counter-weighted pulleys), and vertical chamber.  I'll post more pics as it comes together.  Fire away with comments or criticism.   

spacer.png

Just start your own damn thread.  That one you're thinking of was great entertainment.

Corrections and suggestions requested...

I'm going to smoke a 5-ish pounder tomorrow using a barrel grill.  What minor changes will I need to account for due to the smaller size of this meat?  The vast majority of what I'm reading refers to more typical 12 -15 pound pieces.

I'm going to marinate tonight.  Tomorrow, I'll set the fire on one side of the grill, water pan below the meat on the other side.  I'm going to aim for 225-250 temp regulation (of the grill).  I know I'm to cook by temp and touch; not necessarily time.  I'm planning on,

1. Getting it to a certain temp.

2. Wrapping it in foil and continuing to cook at the same temp.

3. Unwrapping and returning it to the grill for a short time at a lower temp.

At what temp would you approach the aforementioned 3 steps?

I think the challenge is giving it enough time to capture smoke and to break down the fat, collagen and tissues before the meat hits temp. I would go 215-225* and avoid wrapping unless you’re just in a hurry. Wrapping speeds up the process which I think is less than ideal here.

I ended up having too much to do to attempt the cook today.  I'll try again later.  

My bad on the marinade.  I cross-referenced a couple of different things I was going to do.  With the brisket, I was going to do a dry rub; not marinade.

I have gone to salt and pepper for my dry rub rather than commercial rubs with paprika and other spices. It really is the best IMO.

It seems to work well for Franklin.

I’m also an exclusively salt and pepper guy for brisket (as well as beef ribs). If you’re doing it right, I don’t think brisket needs anything else (including no sauce obviously). Pork on the other hand definitely benefits from additional spices.

Speaking of and not to go too off topic but since I just did it yesterday, here’s some pulled pork I smoked on my WSM:

e6530f862fa52d1cfb9e911b17ddd3c1.jpg

6571d349dafd70ef750e7d6b1cbe0838.jpg

• Like 3

I did a brisket yesterday and it turned out pretty well, but the flat was a bit over and the bark on the ends was difficult to cut through.  I didn't wrap this time because I was trying out higher temp cooking ~300 - 340.

Thoughts on the tough bark?  Also wasn't working with an ideal cooker set up: Webber kettle with a coal box and bricks to create a heat shield.

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

I did a brisket yesterday and it turned out pretty well, but the flat was a bit over and the bark on the ends was difficult to cut through.  I didn't wrap this time because I was trying out higher temp cooking ~300 - 340.

Thoughts on the tough bark?  Also wasn't working with an ideal cooker set up: Webber kettle with a coal box and bricks to create a heat shield.

I may have mentioned upthread, but here's my experience, albeit on a WSM.  2 Clay pot bases in a foiled water pan.  No water. 

I moved to no wrap mostly out of a desire to sleep in.  I usually cook at around 238 F.  If I held that temperature, I would only have to cook about 1 hour longer.  The bark was meteoric and very smokey.  The very tip of the flat would be a little dry, but the brisket overall was excellent.  I also could pull it closer to 200--204 F.

After several cooks and varying extents of dryness in the flat, I'm back on team-wrap with pink butcher paper.  Mostly the same processwise.  Cook at 238ish F, wrap when I wake up 165+ F.  I try to be quick with the wrap so as to no lose too much temp in the brisket.  At this point, I usually open the vents a little bit to push through the stall and finish up quicker.  With the brisket wrapped, I'm not worried about the higher temps.  Note:  I know plenty of people cook at 270 F and up, but my experience on the WSM is that briskets don't respond as well to this as they might on an offset until I have them wrapped, at which point it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  Even so, I doubt I'm much above 250 F and have a hard time getting the WSM over 300 wide open with nothing in the pan.  When I wrap, it usually doesn't probe done until about 208 F.  But the end result is better as far as consistency between the flat and the point.  And resting it for a few hours in a cooler only improves matters.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

I may have mentioned upthread, but here's my experience, albeit on a WSM.  2 Clay pot bases in a foiled water pan.  No water. 

I moved to no wrap mostly out of a desire to sleep in.  I usually cook at around 238 F.  If I held that temperature, I would only have to cook about 1 hour longer.  The bark was meteoric and very smokey.  The very tip of the flat would be a little dry, but the brisket overall was excellent.  I also could pull it closer to 200--204 F.

After several cooks and varying extents of dryness in the flat, I'm back on team-wrap with pink butcher paper.  Mostly the same.  Cook at 238ish F, wrap when I wake up 165+ F.  I try to be quick with the wrap so as to no lose too much temp in the brisket.  At this point, I usually open the vents a little bit to push through the stall and finish up quicker.  With the brisket wrapped, I'm not worried about the higher temps.  Note:  I know plenty of people cook at 270 F and up, but my experience on the WSM is that briskets don't respond as well to this as they might on an offset until I have them wrapped, at which point it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  Even so, I doubt I'm much above 250 F and have a hard time getting the WSM over 300 wide open with nothing in the pan.  When I wrap, it usually doesn't probe done until about 208 F.  But the end result is better as far as consistency between the flat and the point.  And resting it for a few hours in a cooler only improves matters.

If you want to sleep in, once you have enough smoke on the brisket, set the oven to 205, wrap brisket, and leave it in there as long as you want to.

• Like 2

Just now, conVINCEd said:

If you want to sleep in, once you have enough smoke on the brisket, set the oven to 205, wrap brisket, and leave it in there as long as you want to.

That's always an option, but our oven is older and has a bit of swing to the temps.  Usually, I just put the brisket on around 10 p.m. on a Friday night.  Wake up and check the next morning around 9.  I'm less picky about when I wrap these days.  So if it's in the 170s, so be it.  Wrap, drink coffee, and see what happens.  That's also why I don't tend to try to cook hot and fast.  Low and slow and sleep.

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

That's always an option, but our oven is older and has a bit of swing to the temps.  Usually, I just put the brisket on around 10 p.m. on a Friday night.  Wake up and check the next morning around 9.  I'm less picky about when I wrap these days.  So if it's in the 170s, so be it.  Wrap, drink coffee, and see what happens.  That's also why I don't tend to try to cook hot and fast.  Low and slow and sleep.

If I’m serving lunch, I’ll start at 6 or 7 pm.  Leave it on until I feel like going to sleep (2ish), sleep til whenever, take it out of the oven around 10 or 11, rest in cooler, serve at 12 or 1.  If it’s dinner, I just get up really fucking early.  I prefer doing lunch these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NateHitch said:

If the flat is dry as fuck don't bother cutting and serving it. Wrap it up and use it the next day for cold brisket sandwiches or chop it up and make chopped beef sandwiches

Ha, I didn't wait until the next day, but my kids wanted chopped so I was happy to oblige with the dry flat.  Everything worked out well.

Now I've got parts of the flat and point left over for some breakfast tacos and perhaps some brisket hash in the coming days.

• Like 2

Yes sir! She is actually an expert at smoking meat, and a fantastic cook in general. We are in the process of buying a bigger house/ranch, and as soon as the dust settles on that, I'm going to look at buying or leasing a space for her to open up a restaurant 
You must not like money too much.

3 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
On 5/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, immortal13 said:

You must not like money too much.

Yeah I figure it's just going to be a money pit for me

On 5/30/2020 at 11:48 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I ended up having too much to do to attempt the cook today.  I'll try again later.  

My bad on the marinade.  I cross-referenced a couple of different things I was going to do.  With the brisket, I was going to do a dry rub; not marinade.

My wife has marinated a brisket a couple of times, and it did not hurt it one bit. Did it turn out better than with no marinade, I have no fucking idea

Edited by immortal13

My wife has marinated a brisket a couple of times, and it did not hurt it one bit. Did it turn out better than with no marinade, I have no fucking idea
If you are gonna go down that route, I would be injecting before I would try marinating. Just my opinion. I would also be more open to that if I knew the brisket was low quality.

53 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Was in Costco a couple of days ago, and looked at the briskets.  All choice grade, and all huge.  Smallest I saw was 17.5 lbs, and the rest were 18-19+.  I’m not really up for a one-day smoke.

Aren't you a pellet guy?  Don't you just set them and forget them?  I thought that was the upside of them?

22 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Aren't you a pellet guy?  Don't you just set them and forget them?  I thought that was the upside of them?

Even as a pellet guy, that is too much to bother with.  I’’ll stick with taking out at Interstellar.  I did do beef ribs on Sunday and, yeah, it works great

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm a rec tec pellet man and I cooked a pretty trimmed 6 lb. point on Sunday, put it on cold at 5am and it was perfectly cooked, wrapped, rested, and sliced by 3pm. I was being a little lazy and let it go past 170 before wrapping in paper and it was already so tender it almost fell apart in my hands. The stall was really short, came up to 203 quickly. Almost didnt wrap it at all.

I know that's cheating, normally I buy a packer and meticulously trim it but I cooked steaks Fri, chickens on sat, and was in the mood for quick and easy.

I've had my rec tec for 6 months and have cooked more meat in that time than in the previous 5 years. Makes perfect brisket so easy.