All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Question, why are you running your cooker at 375?  I know you can make some good stuff fast and hot, but I thought that meant 275 or so for brisket.

You can cook hot. Especially once wrapped. I believe Champ cooks pretty consistently at 325. I personally do not believe there is much of a difference in cooking temp based on my experiences. I have turned out some great - any cut, really - at 350+. 

Tonight's brisket was really good. Crowd agreed it was excellent/drool worthy and will knock the socks off of the picnic crowd. Between 4 adults and my 8 year old we knocked out about 75% of a 12 lber. Making me rethink how many I need to cook.

That said, I still think the flat dried out too quickly. I wrapped in wax paper and then butcher paper and it helped. But not good enough yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baboontyme said:

You can cook hot. Especially once wrapped. I believe Champ cooks pretty consistently at 325. I personally do not believe there is much of a difference in cooking temp based on my experiences. I have turned out some great - any cut, really - at 350+. 

Tonight's brisket was really good. Crowd agreed it was excellent/drool worthy and will knock the socks off of the picnic crowd. Between 4 adults and my 8 year old we knocked out about 75% of a 12 lber. Making me rethink how many I need to cook.

That said, I still think the flat dried out too quickly. I wrapped in wax paper and then butcher paper and it helped. But not good enough yet. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I tend to let my cooker go a little hotter once I wrap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Rub is coarse salt and pepper only. Wrapped in butcher paper when the internal was around 150. Brisket was done at 204 internal.

Pit temp was around 290-300 and took about 8 hours to cook

I like your style, Dude.

1 minute ago, Eddyline said:

I understand that the ideal salt/pepper ratio for rub is 1:1.  Is this ratio by weight or by volume?  Big difference between the two...

I quit mixing mine together and just salt the brisket first and then apply the pepper. I'm sure someone here will not be cool with that but it works well for me

Yeah I don't measure shit anymore. I just apply salt, then apply pepper. Then if it looks like it needs more salt you add more, if it looks like it needs more pepper you add more.

I found in my early days, I never put enough rub on the brisket. I always got scared I was putting too much. Now I DGAF. It's fun when noobs watch you rub a brisket or beef ribs, they almost always comment with something like "Are you sure that isn't too much salt?"

No, motherfucker, leave me be.

21 minutes ago, TornACL said:

It's fun when noobs watch you rub a brisket or beef ribs, they almost always comment with something like "Are you sure that isn't too much salt?"

I'd respond "maybe you are right, I shoudl add more pepper to balance it out"

• Haha 1

It is equal parts by volume in Franklin's coobook and everywhere else I've read about a 1:1 ratio.

Understanding that it is Aaron byGod Franklin we are talking about, he doesn’t use near enough pepper IMO. I subscribe to the Mueller theory of 1:powerofininity salt to pepper. Personal preference and all (and my customers apparently like it)
  • Like 2

I used to be more complicated with my rubs, but for the last several cooks have joined the salt and pepper club full time.  Will try 1.5:1.0 by eyeball  pepper to salt next time for kicks.  Have been considering adding back a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, which gave the brisket a kick I always enjoyed back in my more complicated rub days.  

I used to be more complicated with my rubs, but for the last several cooks have joined the salt and pepper club full time.  Will try 1.5:1.0 by eyeball  pepper to salt next time for kicks.  Have been considering adding back a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, which gave the brisket a kick I always enjoyed back in my more complicated rub days.  
Nothing wrong with adding others to your rub. I'll throw on some garlic and onion powder every once in awhile, along with the salt and pepper.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dcbc said:

I like cayenne, or even just some powdered chipotle pepper.

And I actually use paprika in my rub, it acts as a carrier to help distribute the salt and pepper, and it also helps develop a mahogany coloring to the bark.  As far as flavor, it has very little impact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

I like cayenne, or even just some powdered chipotle pepper.

And I actually use paprika in my rub, it acts as a carrier to help distribute the salt and pepper, and it also helps develop a mahogany coloring to the bark.  As far as flavor, it has very little impact.

My old rub was 1/3 cup coarse salt, 1/3 cup coarse black pepper, and 1/3 cup mostly paprika, some cayenne, some onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.  

I prefer less mahogany and more meteorite black bark these days.  So, I'm on team S&P.  But that heat from the cayenne is missed.  So I may make that my one addition.

• Like 1

We had brisket sandwiches yesterday left over from Easter dinner.  It was from the point and had been vacuum sealed with the foodsaver.  20 minutes in boiling water straight from the freezer and it was perfect (well, except the bark suffers).  Sorry, no pics.

Doing my final test run tonight before next Friday's cookout. Just a little 8 lber. Having another family from the hood come over tomorrow night to share. I'm gonna throw it on the offset around midnight and see where it is at 7 AM when my fuel should be running out. No wrap. Hoping to get it done by 11 or 12 so I can do an extended rest. I'm going to try to put a stick of unsalted butter into the wrap over the flat before I put it away for the rest and see how that comes out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't done a brisket in forever + surprise guests from out of town = time for brisket.  I used hickory.  16lb before trimming, took only 18 hours at 225* to probe like warm butter (happened to be around ~201* internal). 

41686918435_1d5db08be4_b.jpg

42587439701_786d530778_b.jpg

41686918145_5929635341_b.jpg

41866016434_5960c7ed04_b.jpg

27719218997_c04967b1ab_b.jpg

Served with roasted Hatch chili mashed.

41686917815_e5ea82cd07_b.jpg

• Like 5

CB, I assume you question the duration of the cook?  Cooking at 225* (I think the long cook gives it a nice bark), it can take 1.5 hours - 2 hours/lb in my experience (though I usually cook small briskets as I posted on TOS).  This one is larger and it cooked so fast that, after letting it rest for ~45min, I had to wrap it in butcher paper, towel, and put it in a cooler for 3 hours until dinner, which I had to move up two hours.

Understanding that it is Aaron byGod Franklin we are talking about, he doesn’t use near enough pepper IMO. I subscribe to the Mueller theory of 1:powerofininity salt to pepper. Personal preference and all (and my customers apparently like it)

If I use a lot of pepper is it mandatory that I stab somebody ?

3 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Anyone ever have a brisket get up to 200 and then the temp start dropping a couple degrees? I watched it for about 45 min and then pulled it. Should I have waited? I'm still getting a feel for doness so am using temp as a guide.

Did you probe at all?

Yeh. Was probing the same. Turned out okaybut still not sure what was going on.

Cooked two briskets for the first time. Did one Choice and one Choice Angus, both from restaurant depo. Could actually tell a difference on the Angus. Fat rendered better and was more flavorful.

12 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Competition American Wagyu Kobe brisket for $12/lb.  Is this your ringer?

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-wagyu-brisket-12-14.html

I cooked one of those and a Costco prime for my last comp. I turned in the prime which cost me $3.29/lb.

Edited by luke duke
  • Like 2

What do you do when the flat is done before the point?  

Only cooked about 5 before so I realize I'm an idoit and have a lot to learn.

Was cooking in a ceramic @275.  Point was quite a bit thicker, but that never seemed to matter before.  But I have been cooking others around 225-250

About 7 hours in, the flat was over 200, and probed well.  At least the bare flat.  The point and flat under it were still in the 170 range and very much not done.  I just cut off the flat that probed well and kept cooking..  turned out ok, good flavor, texture a little too fall apart.  Actually the flat I cut off was probably one of my better flats.  

Not sure if a temp spike would explain this, or it has to do with the brisket.  The flat seemed to have some nice fat in it.

Kudos to you guys who turn out consistent brisket.  Every damn one of mine is different. 

Haven't seen the Snake River Farms briskets at the Costco in The Woodlands yet.  Will have to keep an eye out for them.  Smoked a regular prime from there Friday night overnight.  16 hours smooth as silk on my Kamado Joe.  Went to bed at 11pm Friday night with it sitting at 225, woke up at 8am Sat morning with it still sitting at 225.  Damn near perfection when we cut into it Saturday afternoon.  Going to jinx myself but the last 5 or 6 I've done have come out spot on.  Threw a couple of racks of spare ribs on for the last 5 hours of the smoke and those came out fantastic too.  Will have to remember to take pics for this thread next time I do one.