All Things Brisket

kevwun

A point can be done in that timeframe. Then again, so can a whole brisket. Temp needs to be 300-325, and you'll have to watch it like a hawk when it starts getting close. Highly suggest a wrap of some sort (foil or butcher paper) once internal temp hits 150, or the color is where you want it. No wrap and the bark gets way too crunchy for me with a hot/fast. Your reheat method may curb some of that though. I prefer the in between that butcher paper gives. 

3 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Fyi, went by HEB off 7th yesterday and they had Prime 1 briskets on sale for about $4.5 / lb... which is about the same price as the choice they had on the other shelf?!?

Yeah, I see weird shit like that from time to time. Have even seen the Prime marked lower than choice grade sitting right next to them.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I see weird shit like that from time to time. Have even seen the Prime marked lower than choice grade sitting right next to them.

I didn't pick one up since the 4th this year will be just us and a whole packer is too much to eat... but I'm regretting that decision now since I passed on a Memorial Day brisket and opted for a pork butt. Perhaps I'll go back and grab one.

21 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

What’s a typical smoke time for just a point?

looking for something that will take 6-8 hours to smoke.

planning to smoke on Friday. Vacuum seal and cool it down and then reheat in a bath of hot/boiling water on Saturday 

I think that you should be able to pull that off well under that time frame.  Get the color and bark right, and finish in the oven imo. 

Bought a Prime 16-pounder at HEB today. Basically felt like the boss of the store while I wheeled around and bought the lesser items. I kept waiting for people to comment but they were all intimidated. Rocking an all-nighter Thurs.

$4.49/lb
$75
Lakeline: Austin-Cedar Park

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

$4.49/lb? Ouch. I picked one up last weekend (prime) for $2.79/lb.

That seems like a killer deal. I think last summer prime were around $3.79/lb in my area. I'm going in w a buddy so at least I'm not taking the full hit.

8 lbs is plenty of brisket for my little crew.

14 hours ago, Mortimer said:

That seems like a killer deal. I think last summer prime were around $3.79/lb in my area. I'm going in w a buddy so at least I'm not taking the full hit.

8 lbs is plenty of brisket for my little crew.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

donde?

Sam's. Excel Prime packer, in the cryovac. They've been $2.79/lb there (here anyway) for a few years. Now if I hit one of the grocery stores, it's at least $4.79/lb, up to $9 and some change for select grade packers. Pays for the sams card on its own after the first 2-3 briskets of the membership year, after that it's all gravy.

Well, HEB seriously fucked up my curbside order.  But bright side is that now I am smoking 2 briskets for tomorrow.  

Sorry if I got your brisket man, but I hope that you enjoy the chicken wings and mi tienda skirt steak.  Also, the cheddar jalapeno sausages. Those were for a klobasnek experiment, asshole. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

Well, HEB seriously fucked up my curbside order.  But bright side is that now I am smoking 2 briskets for tomorrow.  

Sorry if I got your brisket man, but I hope that you enjoy the chicken wings and mi tienda skirt steak.  Also, the cheddar jalapeno sausages. Those were for a klobasnek experiment, asshole. 

Savage move!

in Euless visiting sister-in-law.  Kroger has choice brisket on sale, $1.99 pound.  I am trying her little cylinder shape smoker for first time.   I picked out the smallest, most flexible brisket Kroger's had today, a 15 pounder.

Just getting started, about 30 minutes in.  Me and the dog, on the patio.  Good times. 

44 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

in Euless visiting sister-in-law.  Kroger has choice brisket on sale, $1.99 pound.  I am trying her little cylinder shape smoker for first time.   I picked out the smallest, most flexible brisket Kroger's had today, a 15 pounder.

Just getting started, about 30 minutes in.  Me and the dog, on the patio.  Good times. 

That is what I am finding — all of the briskets are very large

Bought a Prime 16-pounder at HEB today. Basically felt like the boss of the store while I wheeled around and bought the lesser items. I kept waiting for people to comment but they were all intimidated. Rocking an all-nighter Thurs.

$4.49/lb
$75
Lakeline: Austin-Cedar Park

My 16-pound brisket turned out dry as fuck w a mushy point.

Maybe my 5th brisket ever - all on LG BGE over last two years. 21-hour cook. After initial 4 hours or so, spritzed every 1.5 to 2 hours w apple cider vinigar/water mix before wrap at 12-hour mark.

4:30pm Thurs: Meat on 240 degree pit (Rub: Costco coarse pepper to kosher salt - 4:1 by volume)

8pm Thurs: Hit 165 stall - very little bark

4am Fri: 8- hour 165 doldrum stall still in effect. Grill temp 283. Finally a solid bark - double-wrapped butcher paper, placed back on grill

6:35am Fri: Wrapped meat 170, Pit 230

8am Fri: Wrapped meat 175, Pit 270

1pm Fri: Wrapped meat 193, Pit 240

1:30pm Fri: Wrapped meat 200-204 handheld probe temps. Pulled off pit

1:45 - 3pm Fri: Counter top rest in original double-wrap butcher paper

3pm: Removed one layer of original double-wrap butcher paper, wrapped what remained in foil and let rest in cooler for two hours

5pm Fri: The Great Unveiling!!1!!!

5:03pm Fri: My shit is dry as fuck

Thinking next time I'm cranking to 275 and I'm going to babysit the fuck out of that temp come hell or high water. No more 240 shit.

Any advice, observations, and/or mockery welcome.

Wait... did you say a TWENTY - ONE HOUR smoke?

I figured 1 hour/lb would be best-case scenario for a 240, no-rush cook. Google said 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes/lb. So, 16 to 20 hours according to my shabby research. When 21 reared its ugly head I was still feeling optimistic. "It's just a stubborn brisket..."

6 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

....and the smoke is done.  Seven hours is enough for me.  If I ever use this type of smoker again, I can easily drop the meat down a level towards the dying coals.  Since the temp gauge did not work, I had no idea the actual temperature, and did not want to take a chance the meat might fall into the danger zone.  I had to cut the brisket in half so it would fit in the oven. (small oven, home built in early 60s, strange). Wrapped in foil, brisket is finishing in oven at 275 degrees.  Total smoke time 7 hours, with many reps of me throwing the wood chips.  It seemed to work.  Soaked the wood chips in water, and every time I threw chips, and occasionally some charcoal, the smoke picked up.  I saw plenty of smoke ring.  Will let it cook for at least 8 hours.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Maybe my 5th brisket ever - all on LG BGE over last two years. 21-hour cook.

Twenty-one hours seems like a long time even if you were at 225 degrees.

During all this probing, did you ever "push" on the meat? When it's done, it will jiggle in a way that says, "Take me inside and eat me forever."

• Like 1

Maybe my 5th brisket ever - all on LG BGE over last two years. 21-hour cook. After initial 4 hours or so, spritzed every 1.5 to 2 hours w apple cider vinigar/water mix before wrap at 12-hour mark.

4:30pm Thurs: Meat on 240 degree pit (Rub: Costco coarse pepper to kosher salt - 4:1 by volume)

8pm Thurs: Hit 165 stall - very little bark

4am Fri: 8- hour 165 doldrum stall still in effect. Grill temp 283. Finally a solid bark - double-wrapped butcher paper, placed back on grill

6:35am Fri: Wrapped meat 170, Pit 230

8am Fri: Wrapped meat 175, Pit 270

1pm Fri: Wrapped meat 193, Pit 240

1:30pm Fri: Wrapped meat 200-204 handheld probe temps. Pulled off pit

1:45 - 3pm Fri: Counter top rest in original double-wrap butcher paper

3pm: Removed one layer of original double-wrap butcher paper, wrapped what remained in foil and let rest in cooler for two hours

5pm Fri: The Great Unveiling!!1!!!

5:03pm Fri: My shit is dry as fuck

Thinking next time I'm cranking to 275 and I'm going to babysit the fuck out of that temp come hell or high water. No more 240 shit.

Any advice, observations, and/or mockery welcome.

I have to use a water bath in my BGE or the flat will dry out on me. I put a pyrex casserole dish on top of the plate setter, directly below the brisket and fill it with hot water.
  • Like 2

That is what I am finding — all of the briskets are very large

I believe that ranchers had to hang on to their cows a bit longer when all of the packing plants were closed. More time = more weight

Maybe my 5th brisket ever - all on LG BGE over last two years. 21-hour cook.

That’s about 3x longer than it could have taken you.
  • Like 1

I figured 1 hour/lb would be best-case scenario for a 240, no-rush cook. Google said 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes/lb. So, 16 to 20 hours according to my shabby research. When 21 reared its ugly head I was still feeling optimistic. "It's just a stubborn brisket..." 

Bump the temp up after you wrap, no reason to be smoking at 240 after you wrap. Bump it up to 280-300
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Fuck yeah, that looks great.  Where did you get the bread recipe? Make some with shredded brisket when you finish those two beast.

I used this one but wouldn't particularly recommend it.  I mean it worked out fine, but the bread was not sweet enough and i should have brushed them with some butter. 

Twenty-one hours seems like a long time even if you were at 225 degrees.
During all this probing, did you ever "push" on the meat? When it's done, it will jiggle in a way that says, "Take me inside and eat me forever."
I need to start doing that.