All Things Brisket

kevwun

....and the smoke is done.  Seven hours is enough for me.  If I ever use this type of smoker again, I can easily drop the meat down a level towards the dying coals.  Since the temp gauge did not work, I had no idea the actual temperature, and did not want to take a chance the meat might fall into the danger zone.  I had to cut the brisket in half so it would fit in the oven. (small oven, home built in early 60s, strange). Wrapped in foil, brisket is finishing in oven at 275 degrees.  Total smoke time 7 hours, with many reps of me throwing the wood chips.  It seemed to work.  Soaked the wood chips in water, and every time I threw chips, and occasionally some charcoal, the smoke picked up.  I saw plenty of smoke ring.  Will let it cook for at least 8 hours.  
How'd it turn out?

I have to use a water bath in my BGE or the flat will dry out on me. I put a pyrex casserole dish on top of the plate setter, directly below the brisket and fill it with hot water.
There is a lot of back & forth / conjecture / argued science about the water vapors from steam may or may not being small enough to in any way penetrate meat, whether chicken, pork, beef, etc.

YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

There is a lot of back & forth / conjecture / argued science about the water vapors from steam may or may not being small enough to in any way penetrate meat, whether chicken, pork, beef, etc.

YMMV.

My understanding was that it’s not to penetrate the meat, but rather to keep the humidity up, thus reducing loss to evaporation
  • Like 3

My understanding was that it’s not to penetrate the meat, but rather to keep the humidity up, thus reducing loss to evaporation
This was always my thinking, and I was under the impression that a water pan helps stabilize the temp and prevent big dips or spikes. But now that I think about it I don't fully understand why I use a water pan, I just do it because you're supposed to

On 7/4/2020 at 10:18 PM, Mortimer said:

How'd it turn out?

got a smaller than expected smoke ring, but the meat was tender, but not falling apart.  For taste I give it a 7 out of 10.    Plenty juicy, after letting the meat rest for 20 minutes.   Rib rub from Kroger's was good.  I have brisket tacos and sandwiches for several days.  I think the improvement necessary is having a working thermometer inside the smoker and having wood available to increase the heat throughout the smoking process instead of just wood chips and charcoal.  I used a bunch of wood chips.  

I wonder if there would have been a difference had I not had to cut the brisket in half to get it to fit inside the oven? 

Btw, I should have taken a picture of the brisket when I first squeezed it into the smoker.  The brisket wouldn't fit laying down, so I curled up the brisket, still fat side up.  It just squeezed into the top level of that smoker. 

got a smaller than expected smoke ring, but the meat was tender, but not falling apart.  For taste I give it a 7 out of 10.    Plenty juicy, after letting the meat rest for 20 minutes.   Rib rub from Kroger's was good.  I have brisket tacos and sandwiches for several days.  I think the improvement necessary is having a working thermometer inside the smoker and having wood available to increase the heat throughout the smoking process instead of just wood chips and charcoal.  I used a bunch of wood chips.  

I wonder if there would have been a difference had I not had to cut the brisket in half to get it to fit inside the oven? 

Btw, I should have taken a picture of the brisket when I first squeezed it into the smoker.  The brisket wouldn't fit laying down, so I curled up the brisket, still fat side up.  It just squeezed into the top level of that smoker. 

You can always just use an empty beer/coke can wrapped in foil underneath it for the first few hours to get it to fit.

Listen to this man.  He is pre-med.

Brushed this batch with salted butter when they had about 10m left, made a huge difference. 

Cross posting with no fucks given.

\Kolaches. Brisket and cheese, brisket egg and cheese, ham and cheese.
94-CAD725-4-F77-47-C2-BAA1-B0-FD35075-AFC.jpg
8-EBCAADA-E10-F-40-A0-8-F84-7-ED081-AD8-AA9.jpg
8-C546425-9-C37-4-FAB-AE4-D-3-E21-DDDAA5-E0.jpg

98f7f35cc7c5d93729c28cf5e1db7c24.jpg
  • Like 2

I never tried wrapping mine yet, maybe someday I will.  This one was a weird cook, it had a double stall at 160 & 192, and ended 3 hrs before dinner time.  So I triple wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven to bridge the time gap.  The extended crew nearly devoured the whole thing, so barely any leftovers 🙁.

Listen to this man.  He is pre-med.

Brushed this batch with salted butter when they had about 10m left, made a huge difference. 

Cross posting with no fucks given.

\Kolaches. Brisket and cheese, brisket egg and cheese, ham and cheese.
94-CAD725-4-F77-47-C2-BAA1-B0-FD35075-AFC.jpg
8-EBCAADA-E10-F-40-A0-8-F84-7-ED081-AD8-AA9.jpg
8-C546425-9-C37-4-FAB-AE4-D-3-E21-DDDAA5-E0.jpg
I'm not gay, but if you cook like this all the time I'll give it a try.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not sure if anything can top brisket tacos for repurposing (better than the original application, in my opinion), but this ... this could end up being option 1B.

They were awesome.  My oldest boy was slamming them. 

Funny you mention brisket taco, cause I am a huge fan of brisket on a warm tortilla with pico as well. I was actually thinking that it might be interesting to mix the chopped with some pico before rolling up the kolache.  Acid and onion from the pico might set it off. 

But to be perfectly clear, rolling a taco is a lot easier. 

ETA: One thing that I learned about makings those was that rolling the dough very thin was necessary, use smaller circles of dough with more stuffing than you think you need, and try to minimize the amount of dough on the bottom by stretching it over and creating the seam. You can see what happens in the brisket kolache in the top picture with too much dough "pinched off" vs the bottom brisket kolache and was more an operation of pulling the dough and overlapping thin stretched out pieces to create the seam. After I got the hang of it, I had some kitchen shears handy so that I could trim the dough back and keep from getting a ball of bread on the bottom. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Funny you mention brisket taco, cause I am a huge fan of brisket on a warm tortilla with pico as well. I was actually thinking that it might be interesting to mix the chopped with some pico before rolling up the kolache.  Acid and onion from the pico might set it off. 

You don't think pico would make the kolache too soggy? But I like the direction you're going. My only thought for improvement as I was salivating over your pics was maybe the inclusion of pickled jalapenos.

As for brisket tacos, I posted this on TOS a few years back, but I prep mine as if they were fajitas: grilled veggies, avocado, pico, sometimes cheese or crema, etc.

So many strong flavors, but they all compliment one another.

20190509-131025.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:
Not sure if anything can top brisket tacos for repurposing (better than the original application, in my opinion), but this ... this could end up being option 1B.

Brisket quesadillas are pretty fucking amazing.

Don't forget brisket tamales. (Try using brisket tamales to make tamale dressing. Fucking. Amazing.)

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

NOTHING can top brisket tacos with some avocado and salsa. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My kid and I have been baking shit lately to try to get him off the games so this is another good option. I wanted to say for your pico idea I would think that it would taste much better if you keep it like you did but afterwards cut a slice into them then you can add pico or bbq sauce or whatever suits your fancy. If you add the pico before the cook it's gonna make the pico soggy and hot which isn't as appetizing as fresh cool pico with crispier tomatoes and jalapenos. Just a thought!

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, freyguy said:

I never tried wrapping mine yet, maybe someday I will.  This one was a weird cook, it had a double stall at 160 & 192, and ended 3 hrs before dinner time.  So I triple wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven to bridge the time gap.  The extended crew nearly devoured the whole thing, so barely any leftovers 🙁.

Finished product looks great and has a really nice smoke ring. You didn't wrap at all? What type of fuel did you use?

My list of brisket re-purposing just this past weekend:  breakfast taco with fried egg (bacon optional), brisket grilled cheese sandwich, sliced brisket on martin's potato rolls, and jalapeno poppers with brisket chunks and cream cheese.  Other times:  brisket quesadillas, brisket fried rice, and brisket chili. 

Brisket is my favorite leftover probably followed by smoked pork shoulder.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Finished product looks great and has a really nice smoke ring. You didn't wrap at all? What type of fuel did you use?

HEB lump coal (mesquite), nothing else.

I normally get the Central Market bag, but my HEB has been scarce on that since COVID started.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
21 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Brisket quesadillas are pretty fucking amazing.

Brisket leftovers repurposed into anything are pretty fucking amazing.  Shit, I've made brisket omelets, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, grilled chee, whatever.  Best part of the whole fucking thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, baboso said:

Brisket leftovers repurposed into anything are pretty fucking amazing.  Shit, I've made brisket omelets, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, grilled chee, whatever.  Best part of the whole fucking thing.

This x 1million.

So far I've made brisket mi goreng, brisket tacos, brisket breakfast tacos, brisket scrambles, brisket potato salad, brisket nachos, brisket grilled cheese (or melts for any pedants out there), brisket (both cold cuts and toasted) on toasted ciabatta or brioche with various aiolis (adding things like shishito peppers, banana peppers, and other chilis work wonders), brisket quesadillas, and brisket fried rice. And yes adding brisket in front of every dish was absolutely necessary be causing adding brisket it a dish makes it new and better than it did before it had brisket and it deserves that oomph in the name. God bless brisket leftovers.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

My list of brisket re-purposing just this past weekend:  breakfast taco with fried egg (bacon optional), brisket grilled cheese sandwich, sliced brisket on martin's potato rolls, and jalapeno poppers with brisket chunks and cream cheese.  Other times:  brisket quesadillas, brisket fried rice, and brisket chili. 

Brisket is my favorite leftover probably followed by smoked pork shoulder.

Brisket leftovers are definitely perfect for repurposing, and as you say you can do a lot of different things.  I’ve come around to think that if you are just reheating the meat and eating the meat without repurposing  (say, a few slices of brisket you’ve saved in a ziplock v. A ziplock of properly-cooked pulled pork) the pulled pork holds up better.  Still prefer brisket

• 2 weeks later...

Really pleased with this one. Spicy mustard base, ample salt, two coats of pepper with one very coarse. Let it roll overnight between 210-220* and never looked for 10+ hours. Pulled around 200-205 when butter probe everywhere. Skipped the towel/cooler and just let it rest unwrapped on counter for 90 mins. Perhaps my best yet

d886b4f4039f7c0a7e181002f69255fc.plist

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

Yeah, Anastasia has been hammering home the point on pepper, so I committed this time.

I got some Castle butcher grind pepper a while back and it’s pretty aggressive so I don’t feel like it can be the only pepper I use. So, instead I did a full coat of generic grocery store coarse ground, then went back with a final coat of the butcher grind, much of which fell off even after the cook.

I’m not sure how much spice the spicy mustard leaves behind, but between it and the two peppers, there was some nice heat in the bark

I've done mustard and just about every other binder and after hours and hours of cook time they never leave behind a flavor profile. I just use olive oil or whatever oil I have on hand now. I will use hot sauce on beef ribs, I think with the shorter cook time the spiciness does come through

• Like 1

So, what is the consensus best way to cook. I have a 10lb brisket that I marinated tonight using a brisket marinade that I picked up at HEB. I'll put mustard on it tomorrow morning and then the HEB brisket rub. I will add some black pepper and put on the kamado at 240 degrees: What fuel should I use - is oak or pecan wood charcoal okay - do I need wood chips - do I need a small pan of water? After 4 hours, I will take it off the grill and wrap it in foil and put it in the oven for an additional 5 hours. After I put the brisket in the oven, I will put some pork ribs on the kamado. How long will those suckers take? What is the best way to cook them?

Edited by Bevo