All Things Brisket

kevwun

16 hours ago, Bevo said:

So, what is the consensus best way to cook. I have a 10lb brisket that I marinated tonight using a brisket marinade that I picked up at HEB. I'll put mustard on it tomorrow morning and then the HEB brisket rub. I will add some black pepper and put on the kamado at 240 degrees: What fuel should I use - is oak or pecan wood charcoal okay - do I need wood chips - do I need a small pan of water? After 4 hours, I will take it off the grill and wrap it in foil and put it in the oven for an additional 5 hours. After I put the brisket in the oven, I will put some pork ribs on the kamado. How long will those suckers take? What is the best way to cook them?

I stopped reading at “marinated”

• Like 4

On 7/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, Bevo said:

So, what is the consensus best way to cook. I have a 10lb brisket that I marinated tonight using a brisket marinade that I picked up at HEB. I'll put mustard on it tomorrow morning and then the HEB brisket rub. I will add some black pepper and put on the kamado at 240 degrees: What fuel should I use - is oak or pecan wood charcoal okay - do I need wood chips - do I need a small pan of water? After 4 hours, I will take it off the grill and wrap it in foil and put it in the oven for an additional 5 hours. After I put the brisket in the oven, I will put some pork ribs on the kamado. How long will those suckers take? What is the best way to cook them?

beck bennett snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

On at 4:45AM Central. Salt, black pepper, garlic powder on the rub. $2.99/lb.

7a7866e1e2d2d49fbb74c8202a61d397.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a pit boss. Stick a water pan in there and get the brisket off of the direct heat in the center. Every long cook I had without the water pan resulted in a pretty tough bottom side as the heat is directly below the meat.

Looks like a pit boss. Stick a water pan in there and get the brisket off of the direct heat in the center. Every long cook I had without the water pan resulted in a pretty tough bottom side as the heat is directly below the meat.

It’s too big to avoid the direct heat, so we closed the gate and backed the overall heat level down after we hit 180.

It’s a Pit Boss, and the wife added the water pan while I was out.
  • Like 1

Good smoke ring

I was pleased with that. Got a bit concerned with how quick it got to temp, but we let it rest in the oven and put it back on the smoker to heat back up before dinner. Ended up with great bark, but the lean end definitely got drier than ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

c329015a5d40df51285fc74cb121c741.jpg

5276263d46e9137bcc7555a7dca3cf68.jpg

02ca5fdd05acd57674e14523603c747d.jpg

15 lb prime from Costco, trimmed off about 3.5 lbs. Deckle and another big fat vein were a lot to deal with. 250° for about 12 hours, 2nd pic is when I wrapped it. Overshot the temp by a little so it was a little too fall-apart. Had to trim a lot of fat out of the middle of the point. Tasted awesome though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

c329015a5d40df51285fc74cb121c741.jpg

5276263d46e9137bcc7555a7dca3cf68.jpg

02ca5fdd05acd57674e14523603c747d.jpg

15 lb prime from Costco, trimmed off about 3.5 lbs. Deckle and another big fat vein were a lot to deal with. 250° for about 12 hours, 2nd pic is when I wrapped it. Overshot the temp by a little so it was a little too fall-apart. Had to trim a lot of fat out of the middle of the point. Tasted awesome though.
I'm done repping you until i see a pic of you and Ed. Bonus points for either your pool or his garage in the background.

15 lb prime
Back in the late 90s and early 00s I worked a lot of BBQ based fundraisers for college scholarships, scout troops, etc.  Back then, all briskets were 8 lbers.  Never saw a 10 lb.  Now they are all 12+ lb

I had to dig thru a bunch of 18 pounders to find a 15.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looks great.  I'd be interested in that potato salad recipe too.  Love the pickle and onion garnish.

waiting for my wife to send me the recipe. it's pretty simple though from when i've seen her make it. potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mustard and mayo (not sure the ratio), diced pickles, dill

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looks great.  I'd be interested in that potato salad recipe too.  Love the pickle and onion garnish.

from the wife

"chop potatoes, then boil potatoes (soft but not mushy other wise you get mashed potatoes) 

boil eggs and chop

mustard

Mayo

diced onions

diced pickles

diced pimento

Dill weed

Salt to taste 

dash of pepper 

Sorry I don't measure anything just throw it all together and add things to taste"

• Like 2

I can’t go back through this whole thing to find out if it’s already been said, but I’m looking for some pointers on my first brisket on my kamado. Should be about 9.5-10# after trimming... ideal temp/cook time I should be looking for? Any other tips would be appreciated. I’ve smoked ribs and pork butts but this will be my first attempt at a brisket. 

Keeping it simple:  salt and pepper, coarse, 2:1 or 3:1 pepper to salt by volume.  Smoke at 225. (Or 250 I’d you prefer) wrap at 165 degrees in butcher paper preferably, increase temp to 250 if it’s not already there (if it stalls I push to 275 when wrapped), pull when it hits 203-205ish, checking for the smooth insert with the probe.  Let it rest in a cooler for an hour or so.  I wrap it in foil before it goes in the cooler just to keep it less messy.

You can comfortably add more pepper than 3:1. Get good coverage, see no meat...

You’ll want a water pan above the heat shields, below the grates.

Check for grill temp at grate, not dome.

If brisket doesn’t fit, place an upright beer can underneath. It will shrink as it cooks until you can take the can out.

That huge cold chunk of meat will hold the air temp down for a while. Don’t get tricked into thinking the temp is too low and open the vents. When the meat stops pulling down the temp, you’ll see a spike and now your too high if you panicked. Be patient, it will climb up into your target temp zone.

Don’t even look at it the first 4-5 hours. Don’t bother spritzing etc. keep the lid closed.

Coolers are for holding, not resting:

*If you want to eat an hour after you pull it, just leave it on the counter, uncovered, at least 45 mins. Up to 1.5 hrs is fine. This is resting. No cooler involved.

*If you want to wait more than 1.5 hours, wrap it in foil and a towel and place in cooler. This is holding. Pull 45 mins before serving time, unwrap and place on counter to rest for that last 45 mins.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Everyone is different on how they handle the brisket after it’s cooked. I think the best results come from letting the brisket rest/cool off after cooking. It’s very similar to a steak coming off a hot grill, all the juices are pulled to the surface of the meat. If you cut into it while it’s still smokin hot you will lose a ton of juice.  If you are going to put it in a cooler, let it rest on a counter or whatever with a towel draped over it for 30-40 minutes, then wrap in foil and put into the cooler. If you wrap in foil right out of the cooker and into a cooler it will turn into the texture of pot roast. Good luck on the cook, post up some pics.