All Things Brisket

kevwun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Has anyone smoked a wagyu brisket?

Yes — done a couple, and have one in the freezer now.  I read conflicting advice online — more fat so cook to a lower final temp (made no sense to me); more fat so cook to a higher internal temp so it will all render (like 215);  cook as you normally would.  I chose the latter, monitored the temp, wrapped in butcher paper at 165, pulled at 205/“like butter” test, and it was very good.  The point, in particular, has more fat throughout the meat.  Here’s a pic of one I did:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Considering just smoking a point or flat for myself and a buddy tomorrow and don’t want to fuck with the whole brisket. Trying to figure out how timing would work, would that still be around an hour-hour fifteen per lb?

It’s more like 1.5 hrs/lb when you do just the point half at 250F. 

5 hours ago, jw4381 said:

Trying a New Mexico twist on these two: Chimayo red chile added to the salt and pepper rub.

670baa427958b59d9b9e8f35985fccfb.jpg

Trimmed fat dog treats on top.

Going to be close to 50 pounds of meat done in this cook with pork chicken and sausage going on tomorrow.

I like this. I add a bit of ground ancho Chile to my salt and pepper rub.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do it at boiling, keep the water 140-160F (boil it, turn off the stove, put in your meat). Then just check the water with a thermometer at 15min intervals and turn the stove on for a minute or so to raise the temp when needed. Plan 1-2hr of reheat time, longer if frozen. If you have a sous vide machine, it's the easiest and most brainless way to reheat, set it to 145 and drop the meat in for 2hr.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Don't do it at boiling, keep the water 140-160F (boil it, turn off the stove, put in your meat). Then just check the water with a thermometer at 15min intervals and turn the stove on for a minute or so to raise the temp when needed. Plan 1-2hr of reheat time, longer if frozen. If you have a sous vide machine, it's the easiest and most brainless way to reheat, set it to 145 and drop the meat in for 2hr.

I do something like this, except I let teh brisket thaw if frozen, put the brisket in a cooler and pour the hot water over it. Will take longer than boiling.  Here is Daniel Vaughan’s method:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/faux-vide/

Smoked a 15 lb er yesterday. A little on the fatty side, but came out alright. Great smoke ring, beautiful crust. Started following the advice on here to apply the rub, then cover every square inch with pepper. cb34d977819b0efd247f8ea297bb840c.jpg

Bullshit! This is photoshop’d! You panted that ring in!

(Nice job)

3 hours ago, NateHitch said:

There's a lot going on there, are you just smoking one brisket or do you have some other stuff going too? That's a lot of probes

One brisket with a probe in the flat and one in the point. Temp probe at the top of the box and below the brisket.  Door thermometer is off. Don't really need the one at the top of the box but what the hell. 11 hours in and 11 degrees to go.