All Things Brisket

kevwun

3 hours ago, NateHitch said:

And how do you like that smoker? Never heard of Rivergrille

I like the smoker. It's The Home Depot brand that used to be New Braunfels smokers than Oklahoma Joe then next grill. It's all the same stuff just rebranded. Got this one on sale when river grill change their name to next grill. Can't beat it for the price. Metal is a  little thin and gotta stay on top of the temp but works well. 

On 10/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, AustinMT said:

I do something like this, except I let teh brisket thaw if frozen, put the brisket in a cooler and pour the hot water over it. Will take longer than boiling.  Here is Daniel Vaughan’s method:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/faux-vide/

I’ve got a Franklin vac pack reserved for TDay. What is the optimal serving temp?  130/140?  Assuming 2-3hrs sous-vide 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, TankedBevo said:

I agree, it probed well at 203 so I went ahead and pulled it but didn't know if anyone left there's on  longer to try and get an even better probe. 

Always depends on the particular cut you're dealing with.  Some are done at 201.  Some might not be done til 209.  When it probes tender it's done, so I'm not sure how I'd leave it on longer to probe... still tender?  You really just have to get a feel for it, so if this one seemed to feel correct on your probe, but didn't eat the way you liked, then next time you could certainly leave it on longer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Always depends on the particular cut you're dealing with.  Some are done at 201.  Some might not be done til 209.  When it probes tender it's done, so I'm not sure how I'd leave it on longer to probe... still tender?  You really just have to get a feel for it, so if this one seemed to feel correct on your probe, but didn't eat the way you liked, then next time you could certainly leave it on longer.  

Let it go too long and it'll probe like a pot roast.  When I wrap, mine usually probe done around 208 F.  When I went through my no-wrap phase, they probed done closer to 200 F.  Each one is different.

Edited by dcbc

40 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Let it go too long and it'll probe like a pot roast.  When I wrap, mine usually probe done around 208 F.  When I went through my no-wrap phase, they probed done closer to 200 F.  Each one is different.

Yup they're all different. I don't wrap, and it's usually around 203-205.  But sometimes I've pulled at 199.  Sometimes 209.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, TankedBevo said:

So I did this tonight. Passed the jiggle test but I felt it could've been "jigglier". Was very tasty and since it was my second brisket ever I thought it was ace and well received. Does anyone leave it on past 203 to maybe melt some more of the fat? 

196BC43F-989E-483A-AB2F-35CBABC4B647.jpeg

22E0FFE4-8188-4914-B4FE-B957B8A6D91A.jpeg

A9DE09FD-C363-4644-98AD-98F99DD0243B.jpeg

2nd Brisket?  Damn, that's impressive.  

No criticism, just an observation - It looks like it could of stayed on just a hair longer judging by the look of the fat, expecially in that first pic.  

I think your instinct to give it that bump in time on the heat is correct.

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

2nd Brisket?  Damn, that's impressive.  

No criticism, just an observation - It looks like it could of stayed on just a hair longer judging by the look of the fat, expecially in that first pic.  

I think your instinct to give it that bump in time on the heat is correct.

Thanks I appreciate it. I think I was getting a little anxious and didn't know if leaving it on a bit longer would dry it out. Next time I'm just going to wait until I get even more of that gelatinous texture without worrying about the temp so much. 

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

I’ve always been curious....How often do others probe when you think it’s getting close. I wrap my briskets and just go until around 200 and when I think it’s done. Probe maybe once and then call it. I seem to have difficulty getting things stabilized again once I unwrap the thing to probe for tenderness. Can’t imagine unwrapping several times.

• 4 weeks later...

Put an 11 # brisket on this morning at 9:30, I’m currently sitting at about 197. I had to reset the probe a few minutes ago and I realized that my point probing like butter while my flat isn’t quite there yet. Should I just let it ride for a few more degrees and check the flat again in a bit or would it be better to pull now and set out to rest?

Edited by Etexhorn13

1 hour ago, NateHitch said:

Let it ride. I've never probed the point but it has so much fat in it that it'll be fine while the flat finishes up

Thanks, that’s a good *point* and something I realized after I had thought about it a bit. Got everything to 203 and by that temp it was pretty smooth probing. Set it in a cooler for a while. Not worried about eating it tonight as I’m going to vacuum seal and take to my parents tomorrow but I’m definitely going to snag a few bites as a midnight snack  

On 11/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, UTexasFight said:
I’ve always been curious....How often do others probe when you think it’s getting close. I wrap my briskets and just go until around 200 and when I think it’s done. Probe maybe once and then call it. I seem to have difficulty getting things stabilized again once I unwrap the thing to probe for tenderness. Can’t imagine unwrapping several times.

spacer.png

Edited by luke duke
  • Like 2