All Things Brisket

kevwun

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Oh, and the brine is to make pastrami. 

OK — off topic, but Deacon Jones was a monster:

Jones was considered by many to revolutionize the position of defensive end. He was credited with coining the phrase "sacking the quarterback".[8] In 1999, Jones provided an L.A. Times reporter with some detailed imagery about his forte: “You take all the offensive linemen and put them in a burlap bag, and then you take a baseball bat and beat on the bag. You’re sacking them, you’re bagging them. And that’s what you’re doing with a quarterback.”

What separated Jones from every other defensive end was his speed and his ability to make tackles from sideline to sideline, which was unheard of in his time. He also was the first pass rusher to use the head slap, a move that he said was, "...to give myself an initial head start on the pass rush, in other words an extra step. Because anytime you go upside a man's head … or a woman; they may have a tendency to blink they [sic] eyes or close they eyes. And that's all I needed. "[9] “The head slap was not my invention, but Rembrandt, of course, did not invent painting. The quickness of my hands and the length of my arms, it was perfect for me. It was the greatest thing I ever did, and when I left the game, they outlawed it.”[4]

Pro Football Weekly reported he accumulated 173½ sacks over his career, which would be third on the all-time sack list. (Jones would have ranked first all-time at the time of his retirement, and since has been surpassed by two fellow Hall of Famers Bruce Smith and Reggie White.) [10]

In 1967, Jones had 21½ sacks in only 14 games; he tallied 22 sacks in 14 games the following year. If official, this would have stood as an NFL record until Harvey Martin's 1977 campaign, in which he totaled 23 sacks. (The term "sack" had not yet been coined at the time, and official sack statistics were not recorded by the NFL until 1982.)

So, saw this story linked somewhere:

https://www.khou.com/article/features/angleton-high-school-seniors-create-new-kind-of-bbq-pit/285-3fc43038-875c-4dcb-b475-927e8eef4956?fbclid=IwAR3QOTa-7HgoxG1k9bLbtF9Wa563gyi3-pv7pzwDySCGC_r3RY_FU39ru9M

The tube at the bottom of the offset has fins, which supposedly "tumble" the smoke to make it rise up to the meat.  What I can't tell is if there are vents in the tube, or really, how the design really looks all together.  Anyone have more info on this?  I find it interesting, at least.

• Like 1

Good on them.  Had I the philanthropic means, I'd take it off their hands on principal alone.  Then brag at the ranch on my over sized, one a kind smoker.

Still, not sure how this imparts consistency?  Seems an offshoot of baffle/convection plates many larger smokers have installed?  

c67124cd0c90d7fd82105959d9f09365--homema

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Smoke doesn't really need help rising though. It's really a less efficient reverse flow smoker.

I think the key point from their perspective was the vanes, so that the smoke didn't just rise, but it "tumbled."  Of course, I don't know what that actually means here -- would love to see a video of that happening.

The heat and smoke in a pit already tumble on their own.  They did an impressive job building a nice looking pit, but they're really just guessing with their design.  I don't mean that in a bad way because it's a cool high school shop project but they didn't just revolutionize pit making or anything.  If those fins actually helped, one of the fabricators that make reverse flow smokers would have already figured it out.  There are some really smart people working on pit design these days.

Edited by kevwun

Assuming it's in a sealed bag, sous vide it. If you don't have a sous vide machine you can accomplish the same thing by just boiling water and dumping it in a cooler to mix with tap. Stck a thermometer in it and add more boiling when it cools.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a 12 pound packer going on the WSM for an overnight cook later.  Using post oak for the first time (usually use pecan and some hickory).  Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about.  Pictures to follow if I remember to take them.  Otherwise, see above. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 8:59 PM, elfenix said:

Assuming it's in a sealed bag, sous vide it. If you don't have a sous vide machine you can accomplish the same thing by just boiling water and dumping it in a cooler to mix with tap. Stck a thermometer in it and add more boiling when it cools.

This. I love to fire up the sous vide machine for any dumb reason, but bring a pot of water to boil, turn it off, and dunk the sealed bag in has worked numerous times for reheating brisket and ribs. 

Got a 12 pound packer going on the WSM for an overnight cook later.  Using post oak for the first time (usually use pecan and some hickory).  Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about.  Pictures to follow if I remember to take them.  Otherwise, see above. 
Trimmed out to about 10 lbs. 12 hours no wrap. Resting for lunch. 2bb11f148d686c599f7d37bbabb32983.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

All things equal, what size brisket turns out best?   I bought an 8 pound prime I’m going to cook and have never cooked one that small

Assuming good quality otherwise, I've heard you want to stay under 12 lbs and make sure the flat is thick (and the brisket overall is pliable). 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

All things equal, what size brisket turns out best?   I bought an 8 pound prime I’m going to cook and have never cooked one that small

I'm no expert but as dcbc said, 12 lb may be a sweet spot.  The 8 lb one I did had a thin flat by nature so the very end of the flat wasn't great but the rest cooked well.  I did a 15.5 lb one last weekend for a graduation party and all were pleased.  It was just a bit of a beast to deal with at first.  Both were the Costco prime.  I'm starting to do briskets more often because I can finally consistently do a a good to great one (imo) due in part to this thread and others here on the forum.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but as dcbc said, 12 lb may be a sweet spot.  The 8 lb one I did had a thin flat by nature so the very end of the flat wasn't great but the rest cooked well.  I did a 15.5 lb one last weekend for a graduation party and all were pleased.  It was just a bit of a beast to deal with at first.  Both were the Costco prime.  I'm starting to do briskets more often because I can finally consistently do a a good to great one (imo) due in part to this thread and others here on the forum.

You are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished a couple briskets early this morning and they've been resting in foil for about 5 hours in an off oven.   I left the probes in, and they're reading around 125.  Is that an OK temperature to slice and serve, or should I reheat in the oven until the internal temperature is higher?

Last weekend, Costco and HEB both had prime packers for around $3.49/pound.  I understand that wholesale brisket prices have increased to over $2/pound.  I'll be picking up a brisket tomorrow or Saturday to cook on Sunday.

Edited by Jerry Callo

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Do you gurus notice a big difference between choice and prime?

I don't have enough experience to qualify, but I've seen both Aaron Franklin and John Lewis attest to the necessity of going with prime.  I just don't find it all that often.  I assume CostCo's "choice or better" policy is fairly reliable when their meat isn't marked "Prime".

United In Amarillo has the packer trimmed choice briskets for $1.88/lb. Might smoke 3-4 of the choice ones and one prime from Sams and see if I can tell much difference.

How long will they be good in the fridge? Curious if I bought them now if they could stay in fridge for 6 more days.