All Things Brisket

kevwun

10 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Yes. Wholesale brisket rose from low $2 range to mid $3 range from the beginning of 2017 to mid 2018. Its now back to low $3 range. That’s for upper 2/3 choice. No clue what select is bc I don’t buy it.

Drought conditions, run on the market bc of new national entrants (Arby’s), other factors. Subway is a massive operation. If they buy up large chunks of the market, the little guys are fuuuuucked.

Yet retail price of brisket at restaurants has remained largely stable for the past 5 years.

Costs of goods increases yet your customers expect to pay what they’ve always paid?  No way!!!!

Welcome to owning your own business.  It ain’t exclusive to brisket.

Beautiful.

Lol for a second (while tailgating and drinking) I thought that was my pic.

I finally got the dash of cayenne to stick and taste. Stored it rubbed for over 30hrs in fridge. Even the old LSU couple liked the spice.

8267506c35547555990e92e4281c5907.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to upgrade the cutting board.

Beautiful.

Lol for a second (while tailgating and drinking) I thought that was my pic.

I finally got the dash of cayenne to stick and taste. Stored it rubbed for over 30hrs in fridge. Even the old LSU couple liked the spice.

8267506c35547555990e92e4281c5907.jpg

Time to upgrade the cutting board.

I watched that.  They cooked it fat side down like fucking heathens.  They also did a shitty job seasoning because they didn't cover the entire brisket and didn't mop or spray.  I will give them credit for how they came up with arranging the briquettes to make them burn longer.

Edited by kevwun

Anyone see this?  Apparently it aired a couple of weeks ago on pbs.  I'm skeptical but for a little charcoal grill it looks like a good effort.
https://www.cookscountry.com/episode/634-texas-barbecue-brisket

Where the hell is huge at? He’s an expert at cooking brisket on a weber kettle. Or is that nomaaaaaaaaaaaa

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

First try at a pastrami.

Basically used the Jess Pryles Recipe: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/make-brisket-pastrami/

Separated point and flat. Brined 5 days, smoked. Went over well with the family. Maybe dial down the salt a bit, or soak for a full day after brining next time.

936379-EE-F167-4-ED8-B3-E5-96-C8-CD91-D5

8-EE3-AB2-B-329-D-4095-BA5-A-180-EDEA359

I’ve never been a big pastrami guy, but that looks awesome

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

First try at a pastrami.

Basically used the Jess Pryles Recipe: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/make-brisket-pastrami/

Separated point and flat. Brined 5 days, smoked. Went over well with the family. Maybe dial down the salt a bit, or soak for a full day after brining next time.

936379-EE-F167-4-ED8-B3-E5-96-C8-CD91-D5

8-EE3-AB2-B-329-D-4095-BA5-A-180-EDEA359

OH. MY. GOD. 

• Like 1

I'm such a lazy ass, I pick up that premade corned beef flat, soak it overnight in cold water to desalinate, and smoke.  Always turns out delicious, but @anastasis, that looks like it might be better for the work put into it.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

Thanks guys.  @dcbc, it was definitely more than just trimming and rubbing a brisket. But not really that much.  Just boil some brine, crash cool and throw in the fridge for a while. I used the cure calculator on amazingribs.com to verify my wet cure amount was good with Jess' amounts and it worked out fine with about 6# total meat after trimming out. But to be honest I prefer just a straight up brisket with some pickles and onions.  Was a little change of pace, and I wager my 5 year old will be the only kid in his class with a pastrami reuben at school tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Smoked a ~6 pound flat yesterday for the future in-laws.  Was a great success.

I used a mix of live oak hardwood charcoal and pecan this time. Rub is (as always) just salt and pepper.  Holy shit... I LOVED it with the pecan.  Pecan has always been my go-to for poultry and pork, but have never tried it on a brisket.  I've always typically used hickory.  I'm never going back. This was the tastiest brisket I've ever done.

spacer.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Smoked a ~6 pound flat yesterday for the future in-laws.  Was a great success.

I used a mix of live oak hardwood charcoal and pecan this time. Rub is (as always) just salt and pepper.  Holy shit... I LOVED it with the pecan.  Pecan has always been my go-to for poultry and pork, but have never tried it on a brisket.  I've always typically used hickory.  I'm never going back. This was the tastiest brisket I've ever done.

spacer.png

Out of curiosity -- why just the flat?

Nice. I haven’t tried pecan yet.

My best ones have been using Apple wood...but man it burns hot and fast. I always have to tend the fire too much. For a overnight smoke I want to nap a little and not be checking fire constantly. I switched to just post oak and it’s consistently good. And a log of oak lasts longer. I still throw in some apple chunks on top of the oak though.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Out of curiosity -- why just the flat?

Two reasons really.

First is I didn't really have time to do a full, but more importantly, my vehicle for smoking is a Hasty Bake. It's like triple-purpose charcoal oven... you can grill, roast or smoke on it.

It does the first two jobs fantastically, but it's not the greatest smoker in the world simply because it's pretty tough to keep the temperature in the "low and slow" zone.  I don't worry about it too much if I'm doing a pork shoulder or something, but with a brisket I want to be a lot more precise.

So I can do a 6-8 pound flat, but it takes A TON of babysitting to make sure the temp isn't getting too hot, especially on a windy day.

It would be annoying AF to babysit that thing for amount of time it would take to do a whole Brisket.

But the main reason yesterday was that I just didn't have the time... mainly because I knew I would get hammered watching the OSU-Texas game on Saturday night, so I wouldn't have wanted to mess with getting the meat on the smoker at like 4 a.m. or something even if I had an offset and wanted to do a full brisket. :)

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yep.  I've never put chiopolte aioli on brisket tacos before, but I had some in the fridge I made last week for my regular grilled chicken tacos and so I thought, "what the hell?"

I liked it.  It added some extra smokiness and heat.... two things I can't get enough of. :D

Something something...liquid smoke.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:21 PM, WBT said:

Anyone see this?  Apparently it aired a couple of weeks ago on pbs.  I'm skeptical but for a little charcoal grill it looks like a good effort.

https://www.cookscountry.com/episode/634-texas-barbecue-brisket

i've been doing exactly that method for about a decade now.  weber kettle, cheap dutch oven in the middle for water and to hold the charcoal ring in place, and ring of charcoal with lumps stuck in it, though i position mine nearer the head b/c smoke doesn't penetrate after a few hours.  i have the rotisserie which comes with an extension ring so i can put multiple briskets or whatever in it.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1