All Things Brisket

kevwun

Thoughts on time and temp for a smaller brisket (4.5 lbs)?  Wife comes home from Bristol Farms all excited that she got a brisket on sale for $11/lb.   Me:
230114_908223010.jpg
Anyway, trimmed and ready, but I prefer a long slow cook.  If I toss it on tonight at 225 (electric smoker so temp will stay consistent- deal with it), is 18 hours too long?  

21104472b66bc199bec4707002c4ef7e.jpg
8 hours MAX, prob more like 6 or 7. Got a temp probe? Just keep an eye on it starting at around hour 5 and start tender probe testing around 190 or so.

3 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Please fire your interior decorator.

That yellow tile in the kitchen is easily the worst thing inside the house when we bought it a few years ago, but I'm really not keen on spending thousands of dollars on a new countertop.

4 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:
Thoughts on time and temp for a smaller brisket (4.5 lbs)?  Wife comes home from Bristol Farms all excited that she got a brisket on sale for $11/lb.   Me:
230114_908223010.jpg
Anyway, trimmed and ready, but I prefer a long slow cook.  If I toss it on tonight at 225 (electric smoker so temp will stay consistent- deal with it), is 18 hours too long?  

21104472b66bc199bec4707002c4ef7e.jpg

Read more  

8 hours MAX, prob more like 6 or 7. Got a temp probe? Just keep an eye on it starting at around hour 5 and start tender probe testing around 190 or so.

Got to agree on the 6-7 hours max and watch closely from hour 5 on.  18 hrs will ruin it unless you like really funky jerky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Damn, @Dr Fear with the triple post for emphasis!

Yes, I have a probe.  I'll start it first thing in the am.  Go maybe 8-10 hrs.  

No shit, triple post and he's right back up to 18 hours.

Dang just thought of something... where the hell is Champkind?  Haven't seen anything from him in a while.

Edited by SHOOTER12

No shit, triple post and he's right back up to 18 hours.

Dang just thought of something... where the hell is Champkind?  Haven't seen anything from him in a while.

Laying low since he cost a lot of people a lot of money and is getting sued and other shit.
  • Like 1

Back to brisket - I managed to find Prime brisket at my Costco today at $2.79 / pound.  Based upon the dire predictions about the price and availability of beef, I feel like I won the lottery (small scratch off prize, but won the lottery nonetheless). 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Back to brisket - I managed to find Prime brisket at my Costco today at $2.79 / pound.  Based upon the dire predictions about the price and availability of beef, I feel like I won the lottery (small scratch off prize, but won the lottery nonetheless). 

Hope you bought out the entire store, and then lit briskets on fire with hundred dollar bills on your way out the door! :)

I've hit the stall at 160.  Been sitting at 160 for an hour.  Do I wrap it to get it over the hump or wait it out?  Want to be able to serve in about 4-4.5 hrs, so pulling in 3 to 3.5 hrs

Edited by Sbbruin

3 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:
Can't get it past 190.  OK to pull and wrap?  Want to give it a resting period, but can't wait to get the last 5 degrees

You probe for tenderness?

Yep, seems pretty good.

Anyone have any ideas for sides? Doing a brisket tomorrow and I always do beans, potato salad, mac n cheese and/or collard greens. Still going to do beans and probably mac n cheese, just want to try something different. Or maybe a different spin on something

Anyone have any ideas for sides? Doing a brisket tomorrow and I always do beans, potato salad, mac n cheese and/or collard greens. Still going to do beans and probably mac n cheese, just want to try something different. Or maybe a different spin on something

Cream corn is our go-to
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
50 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:
Yep, seems pretty good.

In the flat too? Pull it if that is the case. Sounds a bit low though. I am still mad at myself for pulling the last one early, flat was not great.

It’s only a 4.5 pounder, so not really sure if it’s all flat or all point, but pretty sure not both

1 hour ago, NateHitch said:

Cornbread salad is a crowd pleaser and one that people don't have very often. 

Double the "dressing" part on just about any recipe you find. 

Edited by squib

2 hours ago, NateHitch said:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/08/green-chile-corn-pudding.html

• Like 1

In the flat too? Pull it if that is the case. Sounds a bit low though. I am still mad at myself for pulling the last one early, flat was not great.

Well, it was dry as fuck, despite pulling at 190. Taste was good, nice and tender, just not juicy. Ribs were good though, but I have those pretty wired. But I ate barbecue, so it was good. Fam liked it.2af6bc3cc3aaea7ce572166dc6424603.jpg

Well, it was dry as fuck, despite pulling at 190. Taste was good, nice and tender, just not juicy. Ribs were good though, but I have those pretty wired. But I ate barbecue, so it was good. Fam liked it.2af6bc3cc3aaea7ce572166dc6424603.jpg
I think you pulled it too early.

5 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think you pulled it too early.

Wouldn’t that run counter to being dry?  Seems like dryness means I left it on too long

14 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:
Wouldn’t that run counter to being dry?  Seems like dryness means I left it on too long

That is the weird part, and probably makes it so tough to cook. Narrow window to get it right.

And why I don’t cook brisket much.  I have pork butt and ribs nailed.  But have never made a brisket I’m proud of.  I think it requires old school offset smoke .  Or a metal turkey pan with liquid smoke.  Maybe I should just stick with sushi. 

Not every picture should be shared.

You pulled it too soon.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Not every picture should be shared.

You pulled it too soon.

Agreed.  I shared so I can learn.  One thing I understand is my brisket game needs work.  I didn’t have time to let it cook longer.

And why I don’t cook brisket much.  I have pork butt and ribs nailed.  But have never made a brisket I’m proud of.  I think it requires old school offset smoke .  Or a metal turkey pan with liquid smoke.  Maybe I should just stick with sushi. 
What are you cooking on?