Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

On 3/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, mackavelli said:

I need some travel trailer talk.  been looking at little ultra-lite travel trailers that my 4runner could pull.  ~ 3500 lb trailer.  

I'm cool with blending the RV talk here on the camping thread, if others are? 

I love the little Casitas and Scamps, those are great trailers.  The new Aistream Nest is in that same family of small fiberglass trailers, but if the Casitas and Scamps are a little pricey, the Airstream is bust-the-bank type stuff.  Very cool, though.

Are  any of y'all using Hiker Direct?

The prices seem genuinely insane compared to retail & I'm about to pull the trigger on lighter weight sleeping bags (2) & maybe an internal frame backpack for the boy.  The hard part on a backpack for him is he's 11 years old, 5 ft. tall (just measured his height @ the 'robbery strip' @ Whataburger tonight) & I'd like to get one that is going to handle age changes as much as possible.

Cinch-40-2018.jpg

Features

• 380T 20D nylon fabric
  • TechLoft Micro insulation
  • Two-layer offset construction
  • Full length #8 separating zippers
  • Insulated chest, foot and zipper baffles
  • Sleeping bag has open ends that feature versatile drawstrings for easy comfort adjustment
  • Elastic loops are placed along the zippered edges for use as a hammock sleeping bag or quilt
  • Compression stuff sack

Specs

Dimensions: 35" x 82"
Fill weight: 28 oz.
Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz.

Retails for $ 110.00, buying for $ 40.00.

I just buy from wherever is cheapest. I’ve used CampSaver.com a lot in the past. Sometimes it’s REI, sometimes it’s Backcountry, sometimes it’s Amazon.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm cool with blending the RV talk here on the camping thread, if others are? 

I love the little Casitas and Scamps, those are great trailers.  The new Aistream Nest is in that same family of small fiberglass trailers, but if the Casitas and Scamps are a little pricey, the Airstream is bust-the-bank type stuff.  Very cool, though.

Yeah, a small teardrop style camper may be in my future. But I'm talking super small, like just the bed/sleeping area inside, have the kitchen outside. I want something super light.

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, a small teardrop style camper may be in my future. But I'm talking super small, like just the bed/sleeping area inside, have the kitchen outside. I want something super light.

Those were relegated to DIY kits or renovating vintage units for a long time, but now there are quite a few new options on the market. It's been a lot of fun seeing some of the vintage styles (and sensibilities) return to the industry in recent years. 

Edited by utee94

Would love something small like a Casita, but there are two and a half of us now and possibly more coming. Been kinda on the lookout for a small popup that is light weight. Would love one with a deck on the front. Do an axle flip so we can take it down rougher forest service and BLM roads, toss a generator and a small water tank on the deck and we could go pretty much anywhere.

Hiker Direct gear arrived yesterday;  haven't had an opportunity to open the box.  Will advise & post pics when I do.

Looking @ a tent now, REI has a Big Agnes Chimney Creek Mountain Glo (has LED's integrated inside the rig) for $ 375.  Considering it... Shag 2.0'ers, convince me to buy (or not buy) this tent.

Would be for up to 2 to use, mostly me & the son or my wife & daughter, prob. not the 4 of us @ once due to space internal, etc. (i.e. a 6 person fits 4+ gear, etc).

c1ceeec9-9298-474e-9340-13f3ee382f74?siz

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/108450/big-agnes-chimney-creek-4-mtnglo-tent

We call it camping.......  Warm Springs, Va. on the Jackson river.

The annual Tribute to Brown Liquor and Red Meat weekend.  No vegetables allowed except onions, peppers, mushrooms, and corn on the cob if there's a low country boil thrown in for fun.

nwgdvo.jpg

efjo1v.jpg

2hplh14.jpg

2lwoo7t.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 5

ROFL,

Is the tent mainly for scout camping?  If so, consider going ahead and moving to a backpacking style tent.  When out troop first started, most of the dad's were using their big 4-6 person family tents that they had used in cubs/webelos.  We would have a bunch of big tents with 1 person in them.  As we started moving toward more backpacking activities, the tents sizes started dropping, even for trailer based campouts.      Now, most of the tents are 1 or  2 person backpacking tents.   They are easier to pack and put up than the bigger tents and we don't look like the Ringling Bros with all the big top tents.

The REI Half Dome 2+ is big enough for for most site camping and still can be used for backpacking in a pinch.  My goto for most scout campouts is an REI Quarter Dome 2+ and on backpacking trips I go lightweight with a Tarp Tent Protrail.    

1 hour ago, davidg said:

ROFL,

Is the tent mainly for scout camping?  If so, consider going ahead and moving to a backpacking style tent.  When out troop first started, most of the dad's were using their big 4-6 person family tents that they had used in cubs/webelos.  We would have a bunch of big tents with 1 person in them.  As we started moving toward more backpacking activities, the tents sizes started dropping, even for trailer based campouts.      Now, most of the tents are 1 or  2 person backpacking tents.   They are easier to pack and put up than the bigger tents and we don't look like the Ringling Bros with all the big top tents.

The REI Half Dome 2+ is big enough for for most site camping and still can be used for backpacking in a pinch.  My goto for most scout campouts is an REI Quarter Dome 2+ and on backpacking trips I go lightweight with a Tarp Tent Protrail.    

Several of the guys in our sons troop went to hammock style tents.  That's what he's been using since his last days in Boy Scouts right up to our camping trip this past weekend (SEE:  Above).

Keeps you up off there hard and or wet ground, very comfortable to sleep in, and a rain fly acts to hold in heat as well.  It rolls up into a poncho sized soft pack.  You do need 2 trees of course, but they're usually all over the forest.....

I have a hammock and a good sill-nylon tarp but  I mainly use it in  warmer weather.  In winter, I prefer to be on a pad on the ground .  Some of the state parks are not allowing tying off to trees so that can also become an issue. 

6 minutes ago, davidg said:

I have a hammock and a good sill-nylon tarp but  I mainly use it in  warmer weather.  In winter, I prefer to be on a pad on the ground .  Some of the state parks are not allowing tying off to trees so that can also become an issue. 

Yeah, it would be OK if *everyone* did the right thing & wasn't girdling tree trunks, but then it only takes one fly to spoil the whole pot of soup.

As to the tent, this would be a car camping type item & I also have plans for a pair of lightweight tents once he gets into the backpacking.  I'm going to take a few looks @ CraigsList & see what I can find as far away as San Antonio & maybe on up to Temple, over to Marble Falls or Fredricksburg, etc.

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Oh, & I've heard from more than a few people that said hammock camping absolutely crushed their backs in the AM.

only problem I've had as far as that goes is sleeping so deep and still in the same position for so long (i'm a side sleeper) is I'll wake up with a numb hand or shoulder.

in most Texas weather, I skip the under quilt and just use an extra-wide 3/8" foam pad I bought from Gossemer Gear.  CO is a different deal.  definitely needed the UQ in April.  but if  you're above treeline most of the time I've heard good things about the Neoair.

I've got Neoair Trekker for backpacking comfort and use either my old Big Agnes Insulated AirCore or  a Thermarest Luxury Map XL  plus a blue eggcrate pad for car camping.  When I bought the Neoair, it was the lightest on the market except for a couple of the exo-frame pads that require you to sleep on your back.  

Not light at moment...most of it is just standard camping gear

Pad is about 2lbs so getting that down for sure...rest is kinda in the air at moment

Have a one man tent but also thinking of just a pad and bivy ...i have until july 10th to decide 

Have all my clothes and headlights jetboil...just need to decide on sleeping plans

2 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Not light at moment...most of it is just standard camping gear

Pad is about 2lbs so getting that down for sure...rest is kinda in the air at moment

Have a one man tent but also thinking of just a pad and bivy ...i have until july 10th to decide 

Have all my clothes and headlights jetboil...just need to decide on sleeping plans

I've got an Exos 58 and Neoair Xlite that I absolutely love.  If your tent is just a 1 person or bivy, you could probably look at the Exos 48 instead.  Pretty light for a pack (not Gossamer Gear light, but good) and great support.

I've got an Exos 58 and Neoair Xlite that I absolutely love.  If your tent is just a 1 person or bivy, you could probably look at the Exos 48 instead.  Pretty light for a pack (not Gossamer Gear light, but good) and great support.

I also have an Exos 58. I use it without the brain and it’s 38oz. I like it. It’s comfy and has plenty of space.

I have a hennesey hammock.  It's great.  A pad does work in moderately cool temps, say around 40, but much lower than that, and you need the other cold-weather solutions like the underquilt.  In warm weather, it's fantastic.  It also uses straps rather than rope or cord to tie to trees, so it minimizes the impact.

The key to avoiding busting your back is to choose trees that are far enough apart.  If the hammock is hanging in a U, you are going to be in for it.  If you can get it to a reasonable catenary curve, it sleeps great.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have a hennesey hammock.  It's great.  A pad does work in moderately cool temps, say around 40, but much lower than that, and you need the other cold-weather solutions like the underquilt.  In warm weather, it's fantastic.  It also uses straps rather than rope or cord to tie to trees, so it minimizes the impact.

The key to avoiding busting your back is to choose trees that are far enough apart.  If the hammock is hanging in a U, you are going to be in for it.  If you can get it to a reasonable catenary curve, it sleeps great.

The key is lying cattycorner in the hammock where your head is on side of the center line and feet on the other. Use a ridgeline system to ensure the hammock can be set to the right amount of slack regardless of the tree separation distance.  With my hammock set up correctly, I can lie almost flat.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

The key is lying cattycorner in the hammock where your head is on side of the center line and feet on the other. Use a ridgeline system to ensure the hammock can be set to the right amount of slack regardless of the tree separation distance.  With my hammock set up correctly, I can lie almost flat.

this.  my Warbonnet Blackbird actually is sewn with bulge in the side at one end for my feet.

4 hours ago, davidg said:

100% this. I learned some rope splicing to make fixed loops and whoopie slings. With an adjustable length piece of dynaglide or high strength cord you can do wonders. The ridgeline makes your sag angle consistent regardless of distance from the trees and will significantly help with sleep comfort.

There is also a hammock sleeping pad that has wings kind of like a feminine pad that looks interesting, kind of unnecessary but it is cool that people are making more hammock gear.

In terms of using a hammock on a backpacking trip it seemed to me like getting the tarp or bug net addons make the hammock setup a similar weight to a nice backpacking tent, so you lose some benefits but on a short trip then those may not be necessary.

I have a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT that seems like a pretty decent trap shelter, although the new kid has interfered with my ability to check it out in the field. It's under two pounds and available on REI for about ninety bucks right now. You use your trekking poles as tent poles. It won't keep bugs out though, so it might not work in the summer in Colorado. Definiteky wouldn't work here for any kind of warm weather camping. But it closes up all the way around to keep out any stormy weather. Get a sheet of tyvek to use as a ground sheet and it would be a great option in bug free weather.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

19 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Bone, we're all going on the assumption this isn't a solo trip?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You know anybody else that wants to walk for 5weeks? 

Solo mainly but have a companion doing first 5 days...then have a buddy that will meet me in a town at some point(lives in boulder)

Ran by rei today and didnt love any of the packs...most options were osprey's,deuters and gregory at the 60L+ range....didnt see any exos but liked the kestrel(osprey also) 

Little more research and guess i will decide in a week or two

Today just bought a compression sack and a compass

What size BP are you looking for?  The pack I just got for Monster is a 34L & it appears to be a good choice for a starter as the shoulder straps can be relocated wider & the external frame setup can expand as well.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/images/p/Red-Rock-2018.jpg

https://images.prod.meredith.com/product/9f4ba6ea290c73a9226b6f0d49308a27/1516592194114/l/alps-mountaineering-red-rock-34l-backpack

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/gAIAAOSwv95Z3lVs/s-l1600.jpg

I tried a hammock but I'm a stomach sleeper and just couldn't get comfortable on my back or side.  And if it's cold enough for quilting baffles underneath, heavier duty straps, a fly, a bug net, etc... you've exceeded the weight of a bivy or even a small two-man backpacking tent.  My sons love their hammocks but I know I sleep better than they do and carry the same weight.