Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

So not backpacking, but the wife enjoyed our UT/AZ/CO trip so much last year she just suggested a tour of Oregon first week of October for this year. Don’t have the time to drive my truck out there, but we can rent a 4x4 Tundra with a slide in camper for crazy cheap. Hopefully booking this week. Gonna fly into Portland, drive down the coast to Redwood NP, then back up to Crater NP and up to Mt Hood and Columbia River Gorge.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

So not backpacking, but the wife enjoyed our UT/AZ/CO trip so much last year she just suggested a tour of Oregon first week of October for this year. Don’t have the time to drive my truck out there, but we can rent a 4x4 Tundra with a slide in camper for crazy cheap. Hopefully booking this week. Gonna fly into Portland, drive down the coast to Redwood NP, then back up to Crater NP and up to Mt Hood and Columbia River Gorge.

Fuck yeah, that will be awesome.

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

How much is crazy cheap? 

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

How much is crazy cheap? 

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

$150 a day. It was essentially the same cost as the car rental we were looking at.

Yeah, just booked, $144 a day. Crew Cab tundra with a Phoenix Slide in camper on the back.

15 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Ran by rei today and didnt love any of the packs...most options were osprey's,deuters and gregory at the 60L+ range....didnt see any exos but liked the kestrel(osprey also) 

Little more research and guess i will decide in a week or two

Today just bought a compression sack and a compass

Bone,

I think you said in  a previous post that right now you had a max pack weight of about 45lb with water and food.  I don't think I would want to be carrying that much weight over that trail.  Are you looking to change your gear to move to a lighter weight?   What does your current gear list and weight look like?  Do you have a budget for acquiring gear for the trip?

When I was gearing up for our first Philmont trip I bought a 100lb digital  scale   and a 5KG kitchen scale .    I made up a spreadsheet of everything I was going to carry and weighed it all out to the 1/10 of an oz.  You can really see the oz's add up when you write it all down.  I was able to get my base to about 15-16lb.

If you are really looking to lighten up, look at the smaller, boutique gear manufacturers.  For packs, look at the Gossamer Gear Mariposa,  the Zpacks Arc Blast or Haul, ULA Circuit Packs or the Osprey Levity.  For our trips, my son used a Mariposa and carried about 35lb max in it with water.  I use a trimmed down REI Flash 65.  By cutting off all the extra string and strap length, I was able to get it down below 3lbs and it carries 40lb ok.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:11 PM, Bone3421 said:

Yeah with adding my estimate 5/6 days of food and 4 liters of water at max...i believe im at around 45lbs 

Need to pack it up after i get new pack and see the weight 

Most days you will not need nearly that much water thankfully as water tends to be fairly plentiful along the trail.  

The ULA Circuit is a little heavier, about the same as an Exos, but probably carries weight better than anything else. They’re cheaper than pretty much all other cottage packs, too. 

I carry a max of about 28-30 lbs in my Exos when in the desert, and it’s still very comfortable there. 

If going Zpacks, I’d probably get the Arc Haul. It’s made from ripstop so it’s more durable, but still only 24oz. 

Edited by Anton Chigurh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Bone,

I think you said in  a previous post that right now you had a max pack weight of about 45lb with water and food.  I don't think I would want to be carrying that much weight over that trail.  Are you looking to change your gear to move to a lighter weight?   What does your current gear list and weight look like?  Do you have a budget for acquiring gear for the trip?

When I was gearing up for our first Philmont trip I bought a 100lb digital  scale   and a 5KG kitchen scale .    I made up a spreadsheet of everything I was going to carry and weighed it all out to the 1/10 of an oz.  You can really see the oz's add up when you write it all down.  I was able to get my base to about 15-16lb.

If you are really looking to lighten up, look at the smaller, boutique gear manufacturers.  For packs, look at the Gossamer Gear Mariposa,  the Zpacks Arc Blast or Haul, ULA Circuit Packs or the Osprey Levity.  For our trips, my son used a Mariposa and carried about 35lb max in it with water.  I use a trimmed down REI Flash 65.  By cutting off all the extra string and strap length, I was able to get it down below 3lbs and it carries 40lb ok.

I am buying a lighter pad soon and have a one man tent...only thing im lacking gear wise is lighter pad and pack

Pads i looked at yesterday were in 14oz to 16oz range...pack not to concerned with weight but not buying a super heavy one either

I would think 45 pounds would be a reasonable max weight...everything i read says food will be about 2lbs per day so i will have 12 lbs at most and going down 2lbs a day and water is water heaviest thing in pack 

1 hour ago, Ebeye said:

Most days you will not need nearly that much water thankfully as water tends to be fairly plentiful along the trail.  

Yeah have heard water isnt to much of a concern from things i have found...but last thing i want is to be short on water 

Maybe after i have done a few segments i can judge it better but i know there is a long dry stretch towards the end

I did south rim loop at big bend in February and i know i drank 2 liters in 17 miles ...

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Yeah have heard water isnt to much of a concern from things i have found...but last thing i want is to be short on water 

Maybe after i have done a few segments i can judge it better but i know there is a long dry stretch towards the end

I did south rim loop at big bend in February and i know i drank 2 liters in 17 miles ...

I can't think of a stretch where you will go 17 miles without water of some sort.  But I haven't looked at the data book in the last couple of years, so my memory could be hazy.  :)  I believe the worst stretch (in terms of water) is segment 2 or 3, through the Hayman fire burn.

I'm hoping to do the Colorado trail in the next few years, so I'll be watching for your updates!

Anyone done Sequoia/ Kings Canyon.  I’m looking at first week of June with my 11 year old and I know nothing much of the Park other than it being highly recommended by folks I met at other parks. (Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, RMNP etc) looking for a couple 2-3 day overnight hikes.  We are pretty nimble and travel light/ don’t mind moderate elevation 

13 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I did the Outer Mountain Loop /Deadhorse mountains/ back in the 90s with a water cache drop 1/2 way through.  I still carried so much water. Still ran out.  It’s a rough place. I enjoy hikes with reliable water.

Edited by Born to Run

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Anyone done Sequoia/ Kings Canyon.  I’m looking at first week of June with my 11 year old and I know nothing much of the Park other than it being highly recommended by folks I met at other parks. (Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, RMNP etc) looking for a couple 2-3 day overnight hikes.  We are pretty nimble and travel light/ don’t mind moderate elevation 

I have been but didnt to any overnight hikes ...but looking at a quick map you might want to look into high sierra trail to bearpaw meadow and you can then head up the deadmans canyon trail into kings canyon park 

8 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Yep.  Did it Labor Day Weekend in 2016.  Twin Lakes overnight was fantastic.  Check your PMs.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  Did it Labor Day Weekend in 2016.  Twin Lakes overnight was fantastic.  Check your PMs.

Thanks for the PM.  Great write up. Nice Marmot

I’ll look into that area. How were the crowds? Sounds like I should reserve back-country permits ASAP.

11 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I have been but didnt to any overnight hikes ...but looking at a quick map you might want to look into high sierra trail to bearpaw meadow and you can then head up the deadmans canyon trail into kings canyon park 

Thanks.  Lots of options in that area.

21 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks for the PM.  Great write up. Nice Marmot

I’ll look into that area. How were the crowds? Sounds like I should reserve back-country permits ASAP.

Crowds were there, but as always, once you get half a mile into the woods, you are by yourself.  Yes, reserve permits ASAP.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 9:07 PM, UnivTex34 said:

I did a similar trip 2 years ago in late April with my then-gf, heading the other direction, although we didn't make it as far south as Redwoods. Flew into Portland then camped a couple days along the gorge, drove around Mt Hood down to Bend, got wasted there for a night, spent a night outside Crater Lake, then camped for a couple days along the coast near Yachats. One of my favorite trips ever.

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Hey guys we need to talk more even though we aren't currently planning on buying gear or going camping....moose out front of board discussion should have told ya

June 1st weekend I'm headed out to GP. Just for the weekend, but should be a good time. Hoping for good weather. Been doing some hikes after work to hopefully get my fat ass a little more ready for the altitude gain. (Side note, River Place Nature trail is a pretty good climb, if you are looking for something to kick your ass around Austin.)

13 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I did a similar trip 2 years ago in late April with my then-gf, heading the other direction, although we didn't make it as far south as Redwoods. Flew into Portland then camped a couple days along the gorge, drove around Mt Hood down to Bend, got wasted there for a night, spent a night outside Crater Lake, then camped for a couple days along the coast near Yachats. One of my favorite trips ever.

This is good to hear.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was going to go to Buffalo National River for Memorial Weekend, but found out that there's only a couple of trails that allow dogs, so re-thinking this.  

if thats your dog in your avatar then i would rethink anything involving dog hiking.

Yeah, looks like they just announced a mini version. It won’t be out by my next trip, so I’m likely going to pick up a NOS Delorme version, since it’s the same as the Garmin. Also slightly sad the Spot X won’t be out by my next trip. It’s an even more value option.

23 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, looks like they just announced a mini version. It won’t be out by my next trip, so I’m likely going to pick up a NOS Delorme version, since it’s the same as the Garmin. Also slightly sad the Spot X won’t be out by my next trip. It’s an even more value option.

FWIW, the Spot seems to be not nearly as trusted as the Delorme in the thru hiking community.

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

FWIW, the Spot seems to be not nearly as trusted as the Delorme in the thru hiking community.

I’ve seen that, but the X is different, as it is their first two way offering. 

Either way, I’ve basically settled on Delorme Inreach, just waiting for an eBay coupon.

• Like 1

I use the Delorme on my motorcycle. Had it for a couple of years. Gf likes being able to "see" me and know I'm safe, and at my age I don't go anywhere that i give a shit about hiding from her. I bought it for longer trips but use it on day trips too. No issues, but I haven't needed the sos feature. Two way communication was the deciding factor between it and the spot device. I suspect Spot lost ground when these came out and had to upgrade to remain relevant.

Would buy again, but haven't looked at the new Spot device in detail.

45 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

I use the Delorme on my motorcycle. Had it for a couple of years. Gf likes being able to "see" me and know I'm safe, and at my age I don't go anywhere that i give a shit about hiding from her. I bought it for longer trips but use it on day trips too. No issues, but I haven't needed the sos feature. Two way communication was the deciding factor between it and the spot device. I suspect Spot lost ground when these came out and had to upgrade to remain relevant.

Would buy again, but haven't looked at the new Spot device in detail.

This is great to hear. Yeah, the spot seems like a good value, but after doing way to much research the last 48 hours, it really just can't compare. Just take the hardware out of the equation, and the Iridium coverage is vastly superior to Globalstar. Also, since the device is essentially a dumbed down satphone, you can use a different service provider. Looks like Protegear in Europe has some alternate service plans, including weekly if the Garmin options aren't to your liking.

Gonna give it a day or two for an ebay coupon, then press the trigger. Edit: These are on sale at Cabelas, so probably gonna pick one up this afternoon.

Edited by UnivTex34

On 4/25/2018 at 8:51 PM, Chuychanga said:

I tried a hammock but I'm a stomach sleeper and just couldn't get comfortable on my back or side.  And if it's cold enough for quilting baffles underneath, heavier duty straps, a fly, a bug net, etc... you've exceeded the weight of a bivy or even a small two-man backpacking tent.  My sons love their hammocks but I know I sleep better than they do and carry the same weight.  

Which hammock did you try?  The Hennessys have an assymetrical cut that exaggerates the diagonal lying. I'm a side sleeper and can do it pretty well, but again, getting a couple of spaced apart trees helps.  It weighs 2lbs 12 oz with netting, fly and straps.  From moderate to hot weather, with bugs or rain, it kicks the living shit out of a tarptent.

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Which hammock did you try?  The Hennessys have an assymetrical cut that exaggerates the diagonal lying. I'm a side sleeper and can do it pretty well, but again, getting a couple of spaced apart trees helps.  It weighs 2lbs 12 oz with netting, fly and straps.  From moderate to hot weather, with bugs or rain, it kicks the living shit out of a tarptent.

The hammock matters - a TON. Also, like you say, you lay slightly diagonal and keep the hammock setup properly (tight). Their rain fly is too expensive but I recommend the Kammock Roo Double, for one person. Super comfy, a ton of room for blanket, sleeping bag, pillows. You can find a way to get comfy with the extra room.

27 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Going to Caprock and Palo Duro this summer. Hoping to find some good places to hike and hammock camp.

Any good vacation ideas while we are out that way? Haven't really explored the panhandle, looking forward to it.

You could drive up to the Great Sand Dunes in CO.  In addition to the dunes, there are cool mountain stream hikes and spring fed pools in the area.

Taking the wife, 3 and 1 year old girls, and my pops for a weekend in Lost Maples... No idea how this is going to go, but I need camping back in my life. Went from a monthly backpacker to basically nothing in 3 years (except by myself when the missus takes the gremlins back to WV for a few weeks)

LM is my favorite Texas park, and the primitive sites in the valley are an easy mile hike in from the parking lot.

Any advice on making this a non miserable experience for all involved?