Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

Ok, so Half Dome got cancelled due to forecast of teens at camp and 10 degrees in the morning on Half Dome.  Bummed, but it was the right call to bail.  Did the Mist trail the next day up to Nevada Falls and then down the JMT back to the valley.  Also hit the trail up to May Lake and then a route-finding trail up to the summit of Mt Hoffmann.  Will post pics as soon as I get them sorted and cleaned up.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Holy shit I got my day.  March 23, 2020.  It's not officially approved yet (takes 1-3 weeks to review applications for mistakes), but no reason it shouldn't be approved.  This is fucking wild.  Now I'm going to go climb Half Dome.  Yeah bitches!

You have to apply for a permit to hike the PCT now? How does that work?

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

You have to apply for a permit to hike the PCT now? How does that work?

Yep. They allow 50 people per day to start from the Mexican border. Just too many people doing it now so they have to spread people out. 10 years ago there were less than 300 people per year going northbound. Now it’s upwards of 2000. 

There is a designated permit application day, which this year was October 29th, and you go to the online portal and get assigned a place in line. When it’s your turn you see what dates aren’t full and choose what you want and put in your info. Basically name, address, start and end date. You submit, they review for mistakes, and permits are officially doled out a few weeks later. 

So am I correct in that, I can go over to Pine Springs campground, set up camp and hike around the area as I please for a few days and do the summit? I want to go over there for a few days next week because I'm off and it sounds like during the week I should be able to get a  spot there.  Big Bend seems like it might take more planning, but if it would be better, even without much of a plan, I'd be up for that. 

I do have 4X4 (just a stock Grand Cherokee) if that opens things up at all. I saw some stuff online about BB where they say you need 4x4, but can't find much that talks about how rough those areas are to drive through. And the backcountry spots I saw just looked like big sites for groups. 

Really, since I'm inexperienced, I'd like to have a base where my vehicle and everything I need is and just hike trails during the day, with maybe a backpacking  night away from my camp. But that part isn't necessary, just sounds like fun. That's why Pine Springs maybe sounded like the easiest (logistics wise) for a first timer, but I don't know shit about things over there besides what I've read, and that hasn't been terribly informative. 

Also, I'm in decent shape. Not great, but a good trek isn't going to kill me. 

Just happened right after I typed that, they did a segment on the Today Show about Yosemite thinking about bringing in WIFI, food trucks, and Amazon delievery to campsites. I didn't realize they already had a Starbucks there. Guess it shouldn't surprise me on that one. But Amazon delivery to campers there? Jesus

29 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Just happened right after I typed that, they did a segment on the Today Show about Yosemite thinking about bringing in WIFI, food trucks, and Amazon delievery to campsites. I didn't realize they already had a Starbucks there. Guess it shouldn't surprise me on that one. But Amazon delivery to campers there? Jesus

Wifi, ok, I guess.  There's already pretty good cell service throughout most of the valley floor.  Everything else can fuck off.

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So am I correct in that, I can go over to Pine Springs campground, set up camp and hike around the area as I please for a few days and do the summit? I want to go over there for a few days next week because I'm off and it sounds like during the week I should be able to get a  spot there.  Big Bend seems like it might take more planning, but if it would be better, even without much of a plan, I'd be up for that. 

I do have 4X4 (just a stock Grand Cherokee) if that opens things up at all. I saw some stuff online about BB where they say you need 4x4, but can't find much that talks about how rough those areas are to drive through. And the backcountry spots I saw just looked like big sites for groups. 

Really, since I'm inexperienced, I'd like to have a base where my vehicle and everything I need is and just hike trails during the day, with maybe a backpacking  night away from my camp. But that part isn't necessary, just sounds like fun. That's why Pine Springs maybe sounded like the easiest (logistics wise) for a first timer, but I don't know shit about things over there besides what I've read, and that hasn't been terribly informative. 

Also, I'm in decent shape. Not great, but a good trek isn't going to kill me. 

Most of the roads to the backcountry campsites at Big Bend say you need a 4x4, but I didn't have any problem in my 2x4 truck when I went. The backcountry campsites are basically just a cleared area with a spot to park and pitch a tent and a bear box to put your food in. Usually there isn't another campsite in sight, so you get some nice solitude. You can't, however, have a permit for a drive up backcountry campsite and a backpacking campsite for the same night, so you have to pack everything up before going on any overnight hiking trips. All backcountry permits are issued in person first come first served, so make sure you get to the ranger station right when they open if there is a particular site you want and it is a busy weekend. Have a few different locations picked out in case someone already has one you want.

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Most of the roads to the backcountry campsites at Big Bend say you need a 4x4, but I didn't have any problem in my 2x4 truck when I went. The backcountry campsites are basically just a cleared area with a spot to park and pitch a tent and a bear box to put your food in. Usually there isn't another campsite in sight, so you get some nice solitude. You can't, however, have a permit for a drive up backcountry campsite and a backpacking campsite for the same night, so you have to pack everything up before going on any overnight hiking trips. All backcountry permits are issued in person first come first served, so make sure you get to the ranger station right when they open if there is a particular site you want and it is a busy weekend. Have a few different locations picked out in case someone already has one you want.

Thanks. And this is why I was thinking Guadalupe would be a better few day trip without much planning. From what I read, Pine Springs is just first come, first served and shouldn't be a problem getting a spot during the week. Seems like I would have a little more flexibility doing that? 

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep. They allow 50 people per day to start from the Mexican border. Just too many people doing it now so they have to spread people out. 10 years ago there were less than 300 people per year going northbound. Now it’s upwards of 2000. 

There is a designated permit application day, which this year was October 29th, and you go to the online portal and get assigned a place in line. When it’s your turn you see what dates aren’t full and choose what you want and put in your info. Basically name, address, start and end date. You submit, they review for mistakes, and permits are officially doled out a few weeks later. 

Thanks for the response.

Those are  crazy numbers. Glad you got a permit. Good luck. I'm envious.

58 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Thanks. And this is why I was thinking Guadalupe would be a better few day trip without much planning. From what I read, Pine Springs is just first come, first served and shouldn't be a problem getting a spot during the week. Seems like I would have a little more flexibility doing that? 

This time of the year, unless its a weekend, you won't have a problem getting a campsite at BB. Or Guad.

I believe BB has gotten some rain recently. They might close the unpaved roads if the mud is too bad.

So lets say you had 4-5 days after Xmas, with no plans, and a departure point of Lubbock. Where might you spend a few days camping/hiking? 8 hours drive time is pretty easy, so say within that range. Sand Dunes NP? Gila NF? Tons/RR area? take the easy way out and Lincoln NF? My brother and I are tossing around ideas, and would love to hear y'alls thoughts.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:59 AM, UnivTex34 said:

So lets say you had 4-5 days after Xmas, with no plans, and a departure point of Lubbock. Where might you spend a few days camping/hiking? 8 hours drive time is pretty easy, so say within that range. Sand Dunes NP? Gila NF? Tons/RR area? take the easy way out and Lincoln NF? My brother and I are tossing around ideas, and would love to hear y'alls thoughts.

Didn't mean to let this get lost in the Yosemite pics.  Gila is supposed to be amazing, but I have no experience in the winter.  South has to be the option I would think.  I would have to say Big Bend if you're starting from Lubbock.  Weather in theory will be ok and crowds to a minimum?  

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:41 AM, TexasHooch said:

You want a camera storage backpack with about a 50/50 gear/camera split.  

My wife has an older version of this one.

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/fastpack-bp-250-aw-ii-lp36869-pww/

It's designed more to be a travel bag, but it has a hip-belt so it would certainly work for hiking.  Big downside is that you'd be storing your water directly over your gear.

Lowepro has a ton of options, but another one that looks good (I have no experience with it) is the Truckabee. 

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/truckee-bp-250-lx-lp37238-pww/

It's got that 50/50 split and you could likely fit a nalgene in that side mesh pocket.

If you want to go high end, check out the Mountainsmith Borealis.

https://mountainsmith.com/2018-borealis.html

I have played with this and I really like that it's freestanding. it's also got the hip-belt to help this the extra weight of the camera gear.

After 2 months of looking at various bags I ended up ordering a used Lowepro Slingshot 300 off of Ebay. $35 plus shipping and taxes. I think I'll like it. It's probably more bag than I need but I'm not planning long hikes so a little more bulk and weight won't matter. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well that looks cold as shit.  Did you sled or anything?

We didn’t. It was 10 at the warmest while we were in the park. The sand was pretty frozen, which made it nice for hiking, when the snow wasn’t to deep. I made it to high dune, my brothers did not, so we were ready to get out of the cold. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

Are you doing a thread or blog on this? Enjoyed your tips on past trips. Paused my JMT trip until 2021 due to work but planning on doing a 4 day leg this summer

If this is aimed at me, yes. If anyone is interested, PM me and I’ll send you the address. 

There’s a chance I might also be part of a podcast from the trail, but waiting to hear back on that. 

• 2 weeks later...

My gf and I are trying to figure where to go camping for the 1st part of spring break. We kind of narrowed it down to Guadalupe River state park or Colorado Bend.  We really just wanna relax, do a little hiking and fishing. Which place has the better hiking and fishing? Would the sand bass be running at one of them that time of year and is there decent access from the bank? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 hours ago, HollidayHorn said:

My gf and I are trying to figure where to go camping for the 1st part of spring break. We kind of narrowed it down to Guadalupe River state park or Colorado Bend.  We really just wanna relax, do a little hiking and fishing. Which place has the better hiking and fishing? Would the sand bass be running at one of them that time of year and is there decent access from the bank? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Colorado Bend is the most underrated state park, IMO.  If you can get reservations, that would be my suggestion.  I have no info on the fishing angle though.

Colorado Bend is a great spot to check out.  If the park is full you can stay up the road at this place:  https://www.bendtexas.com/

It's pretty primitive camping.  If you make camp down by the river then there is only an outhouse within walking distance for a bathroom, but it's a beautiful setting with a bunch of different places to set up shop.  My and some buddies have taken our kids out there twice.  Gorman Falls is a short float down the river if you have kayaks or a canoe and is really an amazing site to see.

Thanks for the reply guys. It looks like we waited to long and Colorado Bend filled up. I'll check into the campsite that Royal suggested but the gf is not so excited about camping without electricity. Lol. I'll check into Guadalupe River SP and see if they're full. 

Biff, when do you start the PCT? Is there going to be anyway to follow you on social media? 

2 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Thanks for the reply guys. It looks like we waited to long and Colorado Bend filled up. I'll check into the campsite that Royal suggested but the gf is not so excited about camping without electricity. Lol. I'll check into Guadalupe River SP and see if they're full. 

Biff, when do you start the PCT? Is there going to be anyway to follow you on social media? 

March 23.  PM me for the blog link if you want it.  I may do some Instagram, but blog is my main focus.  Should hear back next week on whether or not I am going to be participating in a podcast from the trail.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, DougO said:

I got my Columbia Newton Ridge Plus II hikers yesterday and have been wearing them to get them broken in. I'm pretty impressed for the price I paid, which was about $48 total. Heal cushion is very nice, arch support is adequate, toe box is good, they feel really stable and look great. Today I went birding on an old golf course for about an hour, a couple of miles, and the feet feel good. The only slight irritation I feel is in the ankles because I'm not used to wearing any kind of top above the ankle bone. They seem like a great option for occasional use for the poors, until I get serious enough to invest in a higher tier shoe.

Probably nobody cares, but I thought I would update and report that I have been wearing the crap out of my Columbia Newton Ridge hikers and they have worked out really well. I often wear them just in every day stuff, especially when it's a bit wet or cold. They really hold up and haven't started turning over to the side like my shoes usually do. So anyone looking for some decent hiking shoes/boots that don't want to spend too much, these have my recommendation. My only knock is they can get a little warm. But my socks have gotten damp in them only one time when I spent a couple of hours walking though wet grass.

They aren't close to being worn out yet, but I've started looking around for my next/supplemental pair. I've tried on tons of shoes, and surprisingly, The Merrells don't really feel that good on my feet, even though I'm serious enough to invest more heavily in my next pair, since I am doing more and more rough-trail walking in my birding experiences. I guess I'm going to have to go to a town that has Salomon's in stock that I can try on. I'll probably just get another pair of the Columbia, but now I'm looking for maybe a pair of low cooler shoes for Summer excursions.

• Like 2

Furk.  From my blog:

Man, this is a tough post to make, but I am going to put this entire venture on hold.

I spent two nights at Colorado Bend State Park on a solo trip this past weekend and I had a lot of time to think out there.

The trip was great and I really got some gear and routines starting to dial in, but the time has come to step back and take myself out of the running for a thru hike this year.

A lot of factors went into this decision.

One of my main reasons for hiking the PCT was to better appreciate my off-trail life. I realized that the last year or so of my life that I’ve been planning for the thru hike has also been one of the best years of my marriage, career, and just life overall. I don’t see any reason to disrupt it right now.

Also, when I got back from Colorado Bend, I found out that my company was going through a massive transition and was laying off a sizeable portion of our employees. I am safe for now, but my work situation went from a great time to leave and hike to suddenly a horrible time to leave. I wasn’t going to have a leave of absence, so I would have had to quit and then come back and hope to get re-hired. Suddenly that seems like a much slimmer possibility.

There were other factors in play as well, but the bottom line is that now is just not the right time to attempt this.

I may decide to attempt a thru in the future or I may just section hike and take bites out of the trail over the years. There are tons of people who section hike the long trails over time and that also allows you to cherry pick sections during specific weather windows and times of year, which allows you to appreciate those parts of the trail at their best.

I’m still coming to grips with all of this, but for now, I’m staying put and continuing to visit national parks and hike as much as possible.

Thanks to anyone and everyone that supported me through the preparation for this crazy dream and I’m sorry that you won’t be able to follow along with the adventure. When and if I make further decisions, I’ll post it here.

Sorry Surly.