Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Furk.  From my blog:

Sorry Surly.

So can you transfer your slot to me or what?  

Man, I'm really sorry to hear this news.  Life is full of setbacks and postponements of goals.  Take some comfort in the fact that this won't be the last opportunity in your life to do this.  There will be other times you can make this happen and it'll make the trip that much greater.

• Like 1

I've done lots of BSA overnight, and backpacking camping over the years. So it's always been sleeping bags or sleeping hammocks.  We're spending 5 nights in July at the Floydfest, Va. music festival, and have what's called VIP camping packages. We'll have a golf cart bringing in, and taking out our gear. We'll have a group of guys in three sites together so we'll be setting up an outdoor apartment of sorts for hanging between acts, chilling out, etc.  Everything is pretty much catered right down to meals and all our beer and wine, So it's really all about setting up a great 5 day campsite.

We'll do tents with large tarps/rainflies above to create outdoor rooms connecting the 3 sites.  We'll probably bring in one big community wall tent as a "living room" space.

I'm starting to look for a good sleeping cot for the week.  I've got neck issues from time to time so I want something comfortabley supportive. I've seen several cots on the internet, but always like actual user referrals.  Any recs on specific cots ?  

11 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I don't think the cot is going to be as important as the sleeping pad you have on top of it. It's not like you are in a situation where space is at a premium. Pay attention to getting a proper sleeping pad and bag and any appropriately sized cot should do you.

The cots recommended on Amazon have built in padding, they're not just old style army cots,  but yeah padding is key. I have a great truck bed pad I've used when we do a car camping set up.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, DougO said:

Probably nobody cares, but I thought I would update and report that I have been wearing the crap out of my Columbia Newton Ridge hikers and they have worked out really well. I often wear them just in every day stuff, especially when it's a bit wet or cold. They really hold up and haven't started turning over to the side like my shoes usually do. So anyone looking for some decent hiking shoes/boots that don't want to spend too much, these have my recommendation. My only knock is they can get a little warm. But my socks have gotten damp in them only one time when I spent a couple of hours walking though wet grass.

They aren't close to being worn out yet, but I've started looking around for my next/supplemental pair. I've tried on tons of shoes, and surprisingly, The Merrells don't really feel that good on my feet, even though I'm serious enough to invest more heavily in my next pair, since I am doing more and more rough-trail walking in my birding experiences. I guess I'm going to have to go to a town that has Salomon's in stock that I can try on. I'll probably just get another pair of the Columbia, but now I'm looking for maybe a pair of low cooler shoes for Summer excursions.

I've worn Merrell for a last few years and like them, but I was looking for something a little different so I did a bunch of research and settled on the Vasque Juxt because I used to have a pair of Vasque boots that I really liked. Anyway, I've been beating the hell out of them for 6 months and they are holding up very well and are ultra comfortable. I'll be getting another pair when I need them. Just another something for you to look at, if you haven't already. 

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/shoes-and-boots/hiking-shoes/vasque-juxt

spacer.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I've used it to patch a small rip in my NF Thermoball jacket and had no problems with it trying to come off. How did you clean the surfaces before using the tape?

They weren't dirty.  Tent was brand new and had a mishap on the first adventure.  The hip belt pockets, I'm not sure if anything will fix those other than actually sewing them.  Everyone else swears by tenacious tape, so maybe I just had a different experience.

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Anyone know how to patch a rip in a tent?  It's standard nylon or polyester, nothing fancy, on a Coleman tent.  I had left it out to dry and our stupid fuckin dog started chewing on it.  It has about a 1ft by 1ft tear.  

I have some nylon material I can patch it with.  Or just trash the damn thing ?

If the tape doesn't work, REI does gear repair in-store.  Pretty sure it need not be their gear either.

I've worn Merrell for a last few years and like them, but I was looking for something a little different so I did a bunch of research and settled on the Vasque Juxt because I used to have a pair of Vasque boots that I really liked. Anyway, I've been beating the hell out of them for 6 months and they are holding up very well and are ultra comfortable. I'll be getting another pair when I need them. Just another something for you to look at, if you haven't already. 

311152_30132_L2.jpg

Can’t recommend Oboz enough.

311152_30132_L2.jpg

Can’t recommend Oboz enough.

I taped up the tent with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YV9ZD94?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It's very sticky, I did a shitty job of smoothing the material before applying, bit it looks like it should work.  I won't know how waterproof it is until I use the tent in the rain, but it looks like it should keep bugs and shit out, which is good enough for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

We had the idea a couple weeks back of doing a little local camping at a close-by park, either CoE or TPW.  But, we didn't have the foodstuffs we normally like to use (boil in bag things like Zatarains) and many were partially or fully closed due to flooding.  So we blew it off.

Guess that idea is off the table.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God damn I'm getting the hiking itch bad.  I'm hoping to hit Colorado in late July.  Durango and Telluride.  Hoping it's not all shut down still.  I'm sitting here watching a PCT documentary and going over old blog posts from Yosemite.  Anyone else losing their minds?

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

God damn I'm getting the hiking itch bad.  I'm hoping to hit Colorado in late July.  Durango and Telluride.  Hoping it's not all shut down still.  I'm sitting here watching a PCT documentary and going over old blog posts from Yosemite.  Anyone else losing their minds?

i'm getting the itch to get out myself - either fishing, camping, or hiking.  the lack of camping availabiliities is hampering all three options.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/woman-falls-into-thermal-feature-in-closed-yellowstone-park/2020/05/12/8e0c9174-94a7-11ea-87a3-22d324235636_story.html

apparently some people are moving the barriers and going into Yellowstone. There’s been posts about it from people that live near the entrances. 

Darwin.  Fucking morons.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/woman-falls-into-thermal-feature-in-closed-yellowstone-park/2020/05/12/8e0c9174-94a7-11ea-87a3-22d324235636_story.html

apparently some people are moving the barriers and going into Yellowstone. There’s been posts about it from people that live near the entrances. 

Are the LE rangers furloughed ?  Seems like they'd have nothing to do but  sit at the entrance and tell people to GTFO.

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

whats the surly consensus on whether state parks in texas will be allowing camping by memorial day weekend?

I'd say unlikely.  They are opening up on the 18th for reservations made prior to the shutdown, but said they might have to cancel some to keep spacing between sites.  Sucks.

it's a rough day to drive down to the coast, kayak/fish, then drive back to austin in one day.  and if i chose a hiking getaway instead, sure i could get somewhere to do a day hike, but camping would be much more fun and feel like more of an escape.  i'm not really feeling a day trip.

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Four C Trail isn't to bad of a drive from Most of the big cities in Texas as well. Looks like the northernmost part is closed, but that still leaves plenty of trail to hike. Just make sure to cache water if you plan on hiking it.

Yeah, I've looked at the Four C before, but seems like it's just a pretty flat stroll through the woods and the water issue brings it pretty far down my list.  Still good for a reminder though.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Welp Wyoming gates to Yellowstone to open on Monday. We will see how many coughing, wheezing, tourists and asymptomatic carriers that pulls into our great state to trigger the outbreak here. 

I'm waiting on something similar once the tourists show up in CO this summer.  We'll be looking at round 2 in no time.  But the mountain communities need tourism to survive (as I know the areas around Yellowstone do as well), so they need to open up.  I just hope we can manage it better than the first round that hit the ski resorts.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I'm waiting on something similar once the tourists show up in CO this summer.  We'll be looking at round 2 in no time.  But the mountain communities need tourism to survive (as I know the areas around Yellowstone do as well), so they need to open up.  I just hope we can manage it better than the first round that hit the ski resorts.

I have a place rented in Telluride for late July.  I think I saw today that they are shut down thru the end of May right now.  Any thoughts as to what July will hold?

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, I've looked at the Four C before, but seems like it's just a pretty flat stroll through the woods and the water issue brings it pretty far down my list.  Still good for a reminder though.

It is pretty flat, but it's not bad if you just want to get out. There are enough forest service roads that it isn't a big deal to stash water near the trail where you plan on camping. We set up camp and hiked over to where we stashed it in the dark. It actually worked out pretty well for us.

• Like 1

Philmont announced that the June treks were cancelled, but July treks are still a go. It has left us scrambling to get prepared while still observing safe social distancing. None of the kids on this trek have been to Philmont before so I am setting up Zoom meetings about water treatment and packing. My guess is that it will all be for naught as soon someone out there thinks it through.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have a place rented in Telluride for late July.  I think I saw today that they are shut down thru the end of May right now.  Any thoughts as to what July will hold?

No idea.  Telluride is in full lockdown and has been for a couple months.  Statewide ban on short term rentals through the end of May.  I think there will be a lot of pressure to open up by Memorial Day because tourism is so important here, but if things go south in a particular community I would not be at all surprised to see the lockdowns return.  Probably not statewide, but in the affected areas.

https://www.visittelluride.com/covid-19/

Dear Friends, 

On behalf of the Telluride community, our hearts go out to all those impacted by COVID-19. We are committed to doing our part to reduce the spread of this virus and hope you will join us in our mission. The virus is present in Telluride and San Miguel County, and health officials advise the public to follow CDC and County guidelines and mandates to prevent the spread of COVID-19. 

Starting May 2 through May 31, San Miguel County will follow the "Safer at Home" order, which aligns with the state's current executive order, with county specific modifications. During Phase One of this order, county-wide travel restrictions continue to be in place, and travel into and around San Miguel County is limited to local residents only. We love our guests but now is not the time to visit Telluride. Hotels and short-term rentals will remain closed through the month, and restaurants and bars will be open for takeout, but not for dine-in service. Click here to view restaurants that are offering takeout. Retail and personal services can resume operations for San Miguel County residents on May 2 with best practices in place. Those who cannot shop Telluride stores in-person are encouraged to support our businesses through online purchases

In order to  protect the health and wellness of our small community, the Town of Telluride passed a public health ordinance requiring everyone to wear a face mask in  all public indoor places

For real-time information, please visit the San Miguel County website.

We will post further state and community updates on this page as needed. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this challenging time. Please stay connected to our social channels for Telluride inspiration and a dose of #telluridecalm.  

Please click here for Colorado travel updates from the Colorado Tourism Office. 

Take care and stay healthy,

The Telluride Tourism Board Team 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

OK, found the workout in my app. Was 2/22, a Saturday, and looks like I started the hike at 7:45.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping is that I can get there early enough to beat them to their posts.  Texas Parks and Wildlife told them they can't charge people.  It's fucking bullshit.

• Like 1

That sucks man..  Were you the one that had it cancelled for fires last time?  Hope your kid still gets there before aging out.  We squeezed in a 7 day trek last year just in time for my kid to quit scouts to focus on sports.  

Dispersed camping in Colorado... near good fishing, not too far from a town where we can get a 1-2 day whitewater rafting trip in, and some mountain biking wouldn't hurt either.... Go. 

Would prefer to avoid state and national parks in favor of something a little more out there.