Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

Yeah, so say the part of the pack that is loaded is 30 pounds. That's 30 pounds bouncing around and shifting your center of gravity every time you take a step. What could be better for a rocky trail where you have to keep your footing sure and your balance steady than a constantly shifting center of gravity?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not gonna dig through all 10 pages, so if anyone knows where the discussion is in here, please post a page #.

Looking getting @ a camp mess kit / cookware setup.  Seeing this one on Amazon & wonder if anyone has other suggestions; I'll probably ditch the components I don't need for basic campouts with the Troop & only bring the basics + swap out the metal fork / spoon / knife for a combo plastic set.

https://www.amazon.com/CampingRockers-15PCs-Camping-Cookware-Mess/dp/B075Q618H5/ref=asc_df_B075Q618H5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242009928898&hvpos=1o15&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1699031310330693324&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028301&hvtargid=pla-445145877573&psc=1

81I6MaXT98L._SX466_.jpg

$ 22.00 on Amazon.

Thoughts?

Whatever I get might one day go on an actual backpacking excursion; will look @ a stove in a future look but for now, I just need something for eating @ the campsite.

Don't buy a cheap mess kit like that one above.  The pot and skillet are useless and the utensils will break on the second use.  

For non backpacking scout campouts, we had an adult patrol chuck box that had all of the cook gear we would use.  Each person was responsible for their own bowl/plate/utensils.  If this is the case for your needs, goto REI and buy one of these bowls  and a good plastic or stainless plate. This bowl is shallow enough that you can lick the inside clean  to reduce the mess when doing the dishes. Also get a good spoon (I like these as they are long enough to get to the bottom of a mountain house bag) and maybe a fork if you grill steaks or other meat on troop campouts.  Use your pocket knife for a knife.  

If you are backpacking, you are really just boiling water.   I started with one of these and its a little heavy and a little tipsy but its indestructible and only $15 at Walmart. I keep one in the truck with a cheap chinese isopropane backpacking stove.  Otherwise get any 1-2 qt aluminum or titanium pot at REI that meets your price/weight break point.

I gave my daugther a GSI Outdoors Bugaboo Camper Cookset ,  the Utensil Set and a  MSR Windpro Stove  so she would have a compact base camp cooking gear set.  When backpacking, she just takes the small pot and the stove.  

I hate camp cooking.  If I want well-cooked food I'll stay home.  If I can't cook it with boiling water in my JetBoil cup, I'm not cooking it.  

I take my JetBoil, a couple Sea-To-Summit expandable bowls, a spork, some freeze dried backpacker meals, oatmeal, starbucks Via instant coffee packets, tortillas, summer sausage, and trail mix.  Same menu almost every camping trip.  Works for me.

Our scouts are responsible for cooking their own meals.  It seems like the younger ones show up gung-ho with a big extravagent menu planned and a huge assortment of dishes.  They ask their dad for help and dad smiles and says, "Go see you patrol leader about that." and goes back to his nap.  The older scouts pretty much all have adopted the minimalist approach after dealing with the mess of logistics with a big menu a few times too many.  We have one kid who only shows up with peanut butter and a few apples.  That's literally all he eats for two days, peanut butter by the spoonful and apples.  

ad0b6782-d9cf-469d-977c-c0459c96a2a9?siz

stsxbowl_LRG_1.jpg

71yCnb+UIaL._SX355_.jpg

230765_7483_XL.jpg

• Like 2

When I go backpacking with my wife and three kids, I bring 2 of the Stanco pots and 3  MSR deep dish plate/bowl like things and use a Pocket Rocket stove.  I wish the plates stacked inside each other better, but I kind of clamshell them around the pots to take up almost no additional space, which hold the fuel canister, Pocket Rocket, matches, lighter and Sporks.  I basically wind up cooking half of the meal for all of us at a time and then eat directly out of the pot for the other 2 plates.

4190SxFC7tL.jpg

On 9/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, utee94 said:

I bring a cast iron dutch oven, cast iron 12" skillet, at least two Calphalon sauce pans, and several Corningwear dishes.  Also, a fullset of 4 melamine plates, saucers, bowls, and a 20-piece silverware set.  And Shun cutlery, of course.

Can you recommend a camping potato ricer and lemon zester?

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

sea-to-summit-x-seal-_-go_axsealxlbl_x-s

I recently picked up one of these for my Washington trip. Figured I could cold hydrate stuff in the future or cut a piece of meat on it.

Settled on the Quinault area again. West of Seattle seems to be the popular quick getaway, Rainer is insanely long lines. Hoh is closed for road repairs. The Beach is close to Quinault and minimal permits are needed.

Land at noon on Friday. Reserved a lakeside car camping spot for Friday night, maybe catch a Pacific Coast sunset.

Saturday maybe Colonel Bob's Peak or another day hike. Watch the second half of the Longhorns victory over USC. Maybe camp in the woods.

Sunday Hike from Graves Creek Trail Head  to or past O'Neil campsite to the Enchanted Valley Ranger Station.

There are some mountain top lakes nearby or just not get eaten by flies, mosquitoes, cougars, or bears.

Fit in some clam chowder and smoked salmon.

• Like 1

Yeah, we have a Scout Dad who likes to do the Quartermaster gig & we're responsible for our own plates, etc.  I ordered this one:

27666405914_MealKit-2-0-o.jpg&constrain=

& Found what I think is a killer deal on a Kelty Camp Cabin 4 person / 3 season.

kelty-camp-cabin-tent-4-person-3-season-

Has a front "bump" peak height of 77" (6'  5" for the maths challenged) & with a 4 person, I could probably fit a chair inside for changing clothes / sitting up comfortably, etc.  All car camping, so not too worried on weight, etc. & I'll be using it for Woodbadge in 1 month.

kelty-camp-cabin-tent-4-person-3-season~

I'll probably use a simple tarp for a footprint; get a quality silver one.  Floor dimensions are 96" x 105".

• 3 weeks later...

Finally have a campsite with cell service, and without the options to post pics via Tapa.

In the shadow of Mt Hood in front of a campfire 20 miles from pavement. Gonna get to 38 tonight, and the mountain is getting its first snow of the season. Will post pics when I get back to civilization Monday.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I love the French press.  We have two different coffee makers in our RV (standard drip and Keurig) and neither are anywhere close to as good as the French press.  

SIAP but Jetboil offers a coffee press.  Not perfect but very weight and space efficient for backpackers who must have coffee a certain way.

1090921_primary.pnghttps://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/cookware/coffee-press/coffee-press

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:00 PM, HookEm said:

Just posting to say that those Starbucks instant packets suck ass IMHO. Had Italian roast and maybe others are better. In the future I will be French pressing like I used to.

I've been using these for a couple of years and they do the job for me.

https://www.jivacubes.com/

Edited by Biff Tannen

Outdoor Research Helium Bivy (18 oz.) is on sale on Amazon for $99.  Regular $179.  I just ordered one.  Used to sleep in a similar set up in the USMC and love the lightweight, portability, and simplicity. of a bivy.  I tried hammocks but I just can't sleep comfortable in them and when you add in a bug net and rainfly with stakes, ridgeline, straps, etc.. it ends up weighing more than a small tent anyway.  The bivies have condensation issues when fully zipped closed but I can live with it.  A SOL Escape Lite sack (at 5.5 oz, fist-size, and $40) inside the Helium Bivy should keep and dampness of your bag on wet nights.  My son is taking the new bivy out this weekend and I'll report back how he likes it.  

outdoor-research-helium-bivy.jpg

adventure_medical_kits-sol-escape-lite-b

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 9:33 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Finally have a campsite with cell service, and without the options to post pics via Tapa.

In the shadow of Mt Hood in front of a campfire 20 miles from pavement. Gonna get to 38 tonight, and the mountain is getting its first snow of the season. Will post pics when I get back to civilization Monday.

Fuckin A man! 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:00 PM, HookEm said:

Just posting to say that those Starbucks instant packets suck ass IMHO. Had Italian roast and maybe others are better. In the future I will be French pressing like I used to.

This is true.  I use them anyway.  At home I'm a chemex guy, right down to being obnoxious about the spiral swirl pattern I pour over the grounds with.  But for camping I'm good with the simplicity and lack of carrying and, more importantly, keeping up with extra stuff.  I tried the press attachment on my jetboil and it let in a ton of grounds but that may have been my fault.  It seems tough to get a good seal around the edge.  

QCFfVYHF_o.jpeg

View from our first campsite on the Nehalem River

MuV01wWy_o.jpeg
2JTjelT2_o.jpeg
8JMMzOoK_o.jpeg
OYYLi6Bl_o.jpeg

Some pics as we explore our way south down the coast. I think most of these were in Samuel Bardman State Park

TqkzlSZX_o.jpeg
yMdPdylb_o.jpeg

The Lady Bird Johnson Grove and our campsite in RWNP.

b4lsYWbW_o.jpeg

Rogue River Gorge

Q1B4NRFI_o.jpeg
0JJF8bjP_o.jpeg
xJapX0Rq_o.jpeg
vXVOOuj3_o.jpeg

Not much sun the day we were at Crater lake, but the occasional sun really made the blue water pop on occasion.

Ca0Grkzy_o.jpeg

Umpqua Hot Springs carved into the side of the mountain.

5NJ6XXQw_o.jpeg

View from the Timberline Lodge.

WGzJZ4EP_o.jpeg
9HD6BjeP_o.jpeg
3iu72l0R_o.jpeg

Views from our campsite near Mt. Hood.
3i0yQlfR_o.jpeg
MDnI2QCZ_o.jpeg
yABquEbZ_o.jpeg

Waterfalls in the CRG

LTjnyLsq_o.jpeg

This was the best view we got of MSH. Tons of rain and wind. It had snowed there earlier in the morning.
yZ15HcUj_o.jpeg

The edge of the blast zone, 14 miles away, and the new bridge.

• Like 9

Yeah, it was just beautiful, and we didn't hike nearly as much as we wanted, cause we wanted to see as much as possible (and weather was bleh, and we may not have planned the best clothes for some of it.) Other than the two days of hard rain, the weather was gorgeous. Never got above 65 during the day, and was mid 40's at night. We only had to use the heater in the camper the one night we camped at Mt Hood. We will head back, with better rain gear and explore more.

I will say, if you are looking to be mobile and still want to get into the back country easily, look up Wonderland Expeditions. We only camped 2 of our 8 nights in campgrounds, and one of those was by choice, because we wanted to be in the redwoods. We dispersed everywhere else. We loved the camper (wife especially, I'm already looking at ultralight tear-drops to purchase), but they do 4runners with RTT's and the will also rent you a classic FJ60 with RTT. 

I'd move there tomorrow if the wife would let me. Bend may be the coolest town I've ever been to.

• Like 1

I may have missed a post where you told us about that rig on the back of the truck.  Oregon plates, so I'm guessing it's a rental.  I'd like to learn more about that.  Also, if that's your wife in the the waterfall pic you are living well in more ways than one.

Edit:  Got it... Wonderland Expeditions.  Headed down that rabbit hole now.  Does that camper come off easily enough to keep in the backyard between trips if you owned one?

Edited by Your Mom

Not my wife in that one.

It was a rental through Wonderland Expeditions. 07 Tundra with a Four Wheel Pop up camper on the back. I want one really badly for my own Tacoma, but they are just so damned expensive compared to a similar teardrop style trailer. Has a queen size bed, a fridge, sink with 12 gallons of water, and a two burner gas stove. When popped up, can stand in, but only adds 12 inches to the top of the truck while traveling. We could be stopped and cooking dinner in 3 minutes from hopping out of the truck. Just really simplifies things.

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Not my wife in that one.

It was a rental through Wonderland Expeditions. 07 Tundra with a Four Wheel Pop up camper on the back. I want one really badly for my own Tacoma, but they are just so damned expensive compared to a similar teardrop style trailer. Has a queen size bed, a fridge, sink with 12 gallons of water, and a two burner gas stove. When popped up, can stand in, but only adds 12 inches to the top of the truck while traveling. We could be stopped and cooking dinner in 3 minutes from hopping out of the truck. Just really simplifies things.

Just looked it up.  Like $200/day.  That's amazing.  I'm all about backpacking, but the wife would probably love this.  Thanks for the rec.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just looked it up.  Like $200/day.  That's amazing.  I'm all about backpacking, but the wife would probably love this.  Thanks for the rec.

And honestly, we joined their email list, got a percentage off, and since we were off-season, we only paid $150 per day.

Since we just did dispersed, there was no campsite cost most nights, and we cooked at least one meal a day in the truck.

It's not backpacking, but it's really comfortable camping.

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The wife really wants one of those roof top tents so we can do the dispersed camping thing with more comfort. She doesn't want to do dispersed camping in our tent, but I guess the roof top tents look cool on Instagram or something.

If we lived closer to more dispersed options, I'd already have one regardless of how dumb my wife thinks they are. But we end up in my two man tent or in hammocks more often around here, cause we are way more often away from the car.

I'm just skeptical that she will actually want to go dispersed camping if we got one.

A few pics from last weekend at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch:

Little NAAL hanging out on the cabin porch before climbing:

f6JPDgZe_o.jpg

On the approach:

o9cDLKaP_o.jpg

Two years old is old enough to introduce them to climbing...

q77g4mLQ_o.jpg

She didn't like going any higher than that because the way the harness pulled on her, but she wanted to climb up while I was lowering Mrs. NAAL on top rope.

Gy8a6fI9_o.jpg

Getting ready to belay my BIL on a 5.8 after leading it:

8PE1Fpif_o.jpg

Looking down from the top of an easy 5.6:

vIPfpD5M_o.jpg

The view looking out from the same route:

vs8I027h_o.jpg

f9e6Yuqs_o.jpg

We also hiked to Whitaker Point, it's only 3 miles round trip, but feels much longer with a 35 pound toddler plus pack on your back.

4mefdzVn_o.jpg

UMtMFYEp_o.jpg

• Like 2

We're in East Texas, so it's about a five and a half hour drive to get there. It's six hours to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Jasper, AR, and they have over 400 climbing routes plus a number of bouldering problems. It's just not worth it to go to Reimer's Ranch when there is better climbing in the Ozarks for us if the point of the trip is to climb. I'll probably try and make it out to all of the Texas climbing destinations one day, but it's just not worth it right now while I am trying to learn to be a better climber.

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We're in East Texas, so it's about a five and a half hour drive to get there. It's six hours to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Jasper, AR, and they have over 400 climbing routes plus a number of bouldering problems. It's just not worth it to go to Reimer's Ranch when there is better climbing in the Ozarks for us if the point of the trip is to climb. I'll probably try and make it out to all of the Texas climbing destinations one day, but it's just not worth it right now while I am trying to learn to be a better climber.

Oh wow, for sure.  I just assumed you were in or around Austin.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:59 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Are all of the routes there on the ranch itself?  How much is just day climbing? There isn't anything listed on the website  

Yeah, those are just the routes at the ranch. It's mostly sport with a healthy dose of trad. They have a nice guidebook that shows all the routes with good pictures of the lines and a description of where the crux is, etc. It's $10 a day per person for climbing, 12 yo and under is free. $5 a person to camp out. They also have very reasonable equipment rentals. $3 for a harness or shoes, etc. There are also numerous climbing areas within an hours drive on public land like Sam's Throne which has free campsites with pit toilets.

Just got out from Havasupai. Unfortunately, rain made the water brown every day but the day we hiked in, so my 7lbs of camera gear was useless!!!!

Here’s some phone shots.

Here is what is usually looks like:

4ca12ba5f68643fd4b4717b19d264bc0.jpg

Dirty:

75ec860ab9fc5621362761a8f784263b.jpg

Semi-Clean:

b13c11a294e388abbb45c8808a421605.jpg

Crappy phone edit of a DSLR shot, but I think focus is off:

0e8edab5b86ac4de34ee3af2a33ad28c.jpg

Also climbed down to brown Mooney:

97bd422507779e64762adead2ff7c1e2.jpg

• Like 2

First off great thread- Second I am started to get interested in doing something that I would never, ever have done much before.... beach camping.  Mainly as I am remodeling a house to flip in Corpus and got turned onto PINS (Padre Island National Seashore).  At first I fell in love with the coolest Ladder racks I have ever seen.  Aluminum and swept forward with a solid deck on top.  There were no logos on these and I finally ran into a guy who had one on his truck and asked him about it.  I was a "ladder rack" but was really built with shark fishing in mind.  The added a side bar with pole holders in stood up on the deck to fight the fish.  I starting thinkin well... I could gut up a day or two and keep the sand out of a tent to not be miserable if I drank myself to sleep each night.  Then I saw this in my REI ad email. f973ed6c-eeb5-4b10-862d-1e5524bf8657?siz

I thought that I could be pretty comfy and sand free with a rig like this.  I also thought my daughter and her friends could use it when they go campings.  They go to more remote drive up campsites and then do day hikes from the base camp.  Something like this would allow for a real quick set up.  Only concern would be making sure to never pack it up wet and let it mildew.  Anybody use anything like this?  I figured this sort of thing would be perfect for PINS.  My kid works at REI and keeps accumulating more and more gear and I was thinking Dad might splurge on the tent and maybe do a father daughter PINS trip.

I think I am going to end up buying a toy box like this in a couple years, but was thinking about this roof top tent as stop gap that my daughter might get a lot of use out of . The model below is a XLR Boost toy box that is hitch towable and has some cool features like the ramp turning into a patio. Not a full width ttoy box area, but the ability to put a ton of tools and also 16' board lengths would be a big plus for my bringing remodeling materials down for flips.  

ImageHandler.ashx?ImageID=90756

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=358&Image=13005&ModelID=4179#Main

• 3 weeks later...

Cross-posted from the deals thread...

REI ad came in the mail today today with the 20% off any item and another for 20% any outlet item.  I think they're available online too, REI members only.  It's not Black Friday level savings but it's worth a ton if you're shopping for something high end at REI.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, UnivTex34 said:

We were talking up-thread about them. If Texas had more dispersed camping, I would already own one. Make sure and do your research, as from mine, the mattresses in each are very different and can make or break your experience. 

I would just count on replacing the factory mattress with an after-market one.  There are plenty of good and (relatively) inexpensive bed-in-a-box style foam mattresses for RVs.  When we bought our new travel trailer in August, I just immediately turned around and bought this one to go in it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097X6730/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love camping at PINS, we took our vintage Airstream out there a couple dozen times.  I'm a little hesitant to take the brand new trailer down there, everything gets so sandy, but I'm sure we'll do it soon.  

IMG_2762.JPG

• Like 1