Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

We are planning a 2 week + summer trip from Austin to Seattle and back with the goal of camping in National Parks along the way. Has anyone made this trip already? 

We have been to the Grand Canyon and Yosemite multiple times, and Yellowstone/Grand Tetons once. We would like to hit Utah and others on our way up. Any suggestions?

Edited by Longhorn94

Alright friendo, this picture has been haunting me the last few weeks, so I'm in the beginning stages of planning a suicide run for late May. 

Work is fucked, so I may not be able to do the ideal, which is:

Thursday afternoon/evening drive to Van Horn, stay in a hotel. Be at park entrance Friday morning to get campsite for Friday and Saturday. Summit Friday. Saturday to McKittrick. Back to Austin Sunday.

I fear I may be forced to really suicide it up: Drive to Van Horn Friday afternoon evening. Be at park at opening Saturday morning to Summit. Camp if site available, or back to Van Horn that night, and back to Austin Sunday.

This is where you all pile on about how thats not enough time..... 

Nah, you can do that no problem, it’s just obviously rushed. It’s a pretty quick summit, especially if you aren’t carrying backpacking stuff.

I am assuming you meant that you were camping at Pine Springs.

If that is full you can camp on BLM land across the state line in NM, off the road that is right at mile marker 10 going NB. It’s primitive out there and really dusty, but better than nothing.

We are planning a 2 week + summer trip from Austin to Seattle and back with the goal of camping in National Parks along the way. Has anyone made this trip already?  We have been to the Grand Canyon and Yosemite multiple times, and Yellowstone/Grand Tetons once. We would like to hit Utah and others on our way up. Any suggestions?  

I can help a bunch with Utah and some with Death Valley. I’ll have to make a longer post later.

Edit: don’t go to Death Valley in the summer.

22 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I can help a bunch with Utah and some with Death Valley. I’ll have to make a longer post later.

Edit: don’t go to Death Valley in the summer.

Yeah, I'm interested in the Utah info as well. Everything you suggested for my trip last October was rock solid.

And +1 on Death Valley in the summer.

23 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Nah, you can do that no problem, it’s just obviously rushed. It’s a pretty quick summit, especially if you aren’t carrying backpacking stuff.

I am assuming you meant that you were camping at Pine Springs.

If that is full you can camp on BLM land across the state line in NM, off the road that is right at mile marker 10 going NB. It’s primitive out there and really dusty, but better than nothing.

That last part is good to know. And yes, Pine Springs was what I was referring too. 

On 4/3/2018 at 2:07 PM, Longhorn94 said:

We are planning a 2 week + summer trip from Austin to Seattle and back with the goal of camping in National Parks along the way. Has anyone made this trip already? 

We have been to the Grand Canyon and Yosemite multiple times, and Yellowstone/Grand Tetons once. We would like to hit Utah and others on our way up. Any suggestions?

Not sure which way your going but i have done/recommend zion/bryce canyon then shoot over to death valley then up cali thru sequoia/yosemite/redwoods then up thru oregon on the coast. You could then hit on way back glacier/rmnp

If time allows...and hoping you hit olympic while up near seattle

• Like 2

• Members
  • 87 posts

Edited Tuesday at 02:07 PM by Longhorn94

I have done the Olympic Peninsula twice with a side trip to Rainier. It is one of my favorites. The two highlights were Sul Duc waterfalls/Hot Springs and Cape Flattery. I will try to figure out how to post the pictures so you can get a feel for what is out there. Rainier was fun but I was with my relatives and they were not really wanting to do a big hike so we just did the " Grove of the Patriarchs " a very easy hike through virgin Cedars. 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, Bone3421 said:

Not sure which way your going but i have done/recommend zion/bryce canyon then shoot over to death valley then up cali thru sequoia/yosemite/redwoods then up thru oregon on the coast. You could then hit on way back glacier/rmnp

If time allows...and hoping you hit olympic while up near seattle

We flew into PHX and drove up to the South Rim to stay in the El Tovar Suite.  What a fantastic view!  Hiked Kaibab Trail and then hit Bryce, Zion, Death Valley and one night in Vegas at the Venetian before flying home.  Great 10 day trip.

• Like 1

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Currently I do not hike or camp regularly but now that I'm in my mid-40's I am starting to get that itch again and have done a few small trips. I've never done any extensive hiking like JMT (bucket list) or anything like that, but I really want to get back into hiking & camping. I recently was speaking with a banker and the subject came up. He said he goes solo hiking all the time and exchanged several stories. He mentioned this was one of his favorite places to go hiking. Unfortunately most of my buddies have little time or interest in hiking so I may have to venture out on my own. I have always been in pretty good shape, but I probably couldn't make a 3 day hike up a mountain with a backpack this early in the game. Anyways, any advice or places you guys can recommend for a beginner would be great.

1 hour ago, nivek3 said:

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Currently I do not hike or camp regularly but now that I'm in my mid-40's I am starting to get that itch again and have done a few small trips. I've never done any extensive hiking like JMT (bucket list) or anything like that, but I really want to get back into hiking & camping. I recently was speaking with a banker and the subject came up. He said he goes solo hiking all the time and exchanged several stories. He mentioned this was one of his favorite places to go hiking. Unfortunately most of my buddies have little time or interest in hiking so I may have to venture out on my own. I have always been in pretty good shape, but I probably couldn't make a 3 day hike up a mountain with a backpack this early in the game. Anyways, any advice or places you guys can recommend for a beginner would be great.

The gear these days can be super lightweight, which should make getting up to speed for a beginner a lot easier on the body.  Trail runners instead of heavy boots, light packs, etc.  Here's where I got started in 2013 when I decided to get into the game.

http://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics/

57 minutes ago, nivek3 said:

Buy some good boots and a 55-65l pack. 

I would start small with 3-5 mile hikes in your town. If you have trails that have elevation changes even better. Wear your boots and after you feel comfortable you. can add in a weighted pack and/or increase the distance. If I’m going on a hike with a lot of elevation gain I’ll mix in the stair stepper at the gym. 

Personally, I think as long as you’re in decent overall shape you can manage 95% of hikes out there. Most hikes are long walks with small sections of strenuous activity mixed in. 

I have a customer who has hiked from the top of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to the top of the South Rim in a single day about a half a dozen times.  He starts out with a headlamp at about 4-4:30am and finishes before dark.  He's tried to get me to do it with him and I've politely declined the invitation each time.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

The gear these days can be super lightweight, which should make getting up to speed for a beginner a lot easier on the body.  Trail runners instead of heavy boots, light packs, etc.  Here's where I got started in 2013 when I decided to get into the game.

http://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics/

Second the trail runners over heavy boots.  Vented runners.  No goretex etc.  light merino wool socks.  Frequent sock changes equals happy feet.

Hiking with a partner, like any other undertaking, works great if it’s a good partner. There are some real horror stories about bad hiking partners. I’ve been fortunate that my best friend is also my hiking partner. Sharing the load in carrying equipment and sharing responsibilities at the campsite both make a trip easier and more enjoyable.

Regarding footwear, I agree that the lighter shoes make for a very enjoyable trip. However, make sure you are carrying a light enough load that you don’t do damage to your feet with poor support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Don't get me wrong, if I'm going to be going through water or across boulders, I'm wearing boots.

For a 15-17 mile hike on mostly a dirt trail on for example the South Rim of the Chisos, Salomon's are lightweight and comfortable.

I get your point.  To each his own I suppose.  It's always about trade-offs because you can't have everything on the trail, right?  

My tradeoff is that I'll take dry feet (and the ability to dry quickly if wet) over everything else.  The probability of wet feet caused issues (blisters above all else) is higher for me than all others.  Leather boots and/or goretex just don't dry if water gets inside.  I'll cross small streams, get my feet wet, and after a short period of time, the combo of merino wool socks and vented runners has my feet dry.  If needed, I'll just change socks, strap the wet ones to the side of the pack, and they'll be dry in a short time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yep. I have a few pairs of the XA Pros which are also good.

I’m gonna try some Lone Peak Altras next.

I've been wanting to grab something lightweight before I start planning big trips with a backpack. After reading reviews and talking to others the 3 shoes I am leaning towards are the Lone Peak Altras, Brooks Cascadia, and the La Sportiva Bushido. I definitely need to hit the local trails to get the legs stretched out and I figure the lighter shoes for now would do the trick.

I used to hike in minimalist trail runners or even fivefingers, but I've gotten to where I use myMerrelll Moab Ventilators for the most part now. I still use the shoe version because I roll my ankle more with ankle supports, but I definitely prefer lighter weight over traditional hiking boots. The thicker sole is nice on really rocky trails where you might be following a rocky stream bed for a while like somewhere in the Hill Country such as Lost Maples. Golf ball size rocks will really beat up your feet after a while if you have minimalist shoes on and the weight of a pack.

If you want to try a backpacking trip up in Arkansas but don't want to be stuck with more than you might want to bite off, check out Eagle Rock Loop. It's in the Ouachita National Forest outside of Langley, so not as far. While the total length of the trail is something like 28 miles, there are forest service roads that cut through it so you can only do part of it and still hike back to your car. There are also lots of camp sites by the trail so you can pretty much find a place to stop and camp close by if you get tired and want to call it a day. You can go and find plenty of places to camp close to the trail heads before you start hiking so you don't have to get there and then hike to a camp site. It does have stream crossings, so be aware of that and watch the weather. The Little Missouri can rise pretty quickly if it rains, but at the same time you have plenty of good water to filter. If it was me, I would bring my swimsuit and try and camp close to the winding staircase area while on the trail.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I must be old school. I like the ankle support of boots and the ability to not give a shit about stepping in puddles or small creeks. 

Same here...got a pair of danners i have been rocking for 3 years thru colorado/big bend/yosemite/glacier...etc

11 hours ago, nivek3 said:

Good starting place that i recommend is indian peaks wilderness outside of boulder/nederland colorado....got some nice day hikes in the 3 mile to 20 mile range

Last time i did lost lake first day with just some snacks and a liter of water...next day did 10 miles roundtrip to jasper lake

I'm in need of a 4 person tent... something that will easily fit the Cabela's cot I have.  Obv. this rig will be for car camping, not backpacking, so I can afford to ask for stand up height which will add to the weight.  A vestibule  or awning is a nice feature but not a requirement.  Probably a 3 season, no need for an Everest rated rig.

Any product suggestions?  I'm kinda wanting to avoid the Wal Mart / Target brands & get something that will go the distance for a few years.  I've seam-sealed the 8 or 9 year old Eureka! that I used all through our Cub Scouting years, but it's just not working any longer (the seam tape from the tent floor + the fly are coming apart).

Before long, I'll also be looking for a good long haul day-pack vs. a full on internal frame packer.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

PS:  My dog just let out a horrific fart.

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I'm in need of a 4 person tent... something that will easily fit the Cabela's cot I have.  Obv. this rig will be for car camping, not backpacking, so I can afford to ask for stand up height which will add to the weight.  A vestibule  or awning is a nice feature but not a requirement.  Probably a 3 season, no need for an Everest rated rig.

Any product suggestions?  I'm kinda wanting to avoid the Wal Mart / Target brands & get something that will go the distance for a few years.  I've seam-sealed the 8 or 9 year old Eureka! that I used all through our Cub Scouting years, but it's just not working any longer (the seam tape from the tent floor + the fly are coming apart).

Before long, I'll also be looking for a good long haul day-pack vs. a full on internal frame packer.

For the price, you could still do okay with another Eureka.  If you have an REI membership, today's the last day to get 20% off one regular priced item.  REI store brands are an option (they stand behind them), along with Marmot and Big Agnes if you want to spend a bit more.

We have a Coleman Wethermaster 6 that works well. It has a hinged door so you can walk in and out without having to mess with zippers and it has a screened porch with no floor, so you have a spot to put on/take off gear in muddy and wet weather. Can find it on Amazon for $150 or so if you set an alert for it on camelcamelcamel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TS6WWC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523277323&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=coleman+weathermaster+6&dpPl=1&dpID=41NQB9Ld-CL&ref=plSrch

On 4/8/2018 at 9:45 AM, Upgrayedd said:

Second the trail runners over heavy boots.  Vented runners.  No goretex etc.  light merino wool socks.  Frequent sock changes equals happy feet.

In the last 3 years, I've done 130 miles of Philmont back packing hikes, another 100 miles of other backpacking trips and over 400 miles of training all carrying some sort of pack.  Trail runners, good socks and lycra gaitors all the way.   I like the New Balance  MT1210s and am on my 3rd pair.

Lunch at 12,440' on top of Mount Baldy, Philmont Scout Ranch

02lAWst.jpg

Climb up Baldy scree slope with Eagle Nest Lake in the back ground

qb9yvyS.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I like kelty...not in the high price range and good quality...been using 4 man kelty discovery for about 4 years 

13 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

kelty acadia 4

eureka midori 4

north face talus 4

4 hours ago, davidg said:

In the last 3 years, I've done 130 miles of Philmont back packing hikes

1.  I don't know what's up with the Shag 2.0 site, but I don't seem to get any views on pics that are probably Tapa uploaded - all I saw on yours was (is) "02IAWst.jpg" & "qb9WST.jpg".

2.  Philmont, eh?  We welcome you to join in @ the "General Scouting Thread" over in "Help".  Always happy to have an other Scouter over there.

Thought about putting this in the Hot Deals thread, but figured it would be more appreciated here.

2nd gen Waterport for $119 at Costco. These retail at $199. This one has a handle so you can carry it to camp, and several mounting options.

https://www.costco.com/WaterPORT-Day-Tank-3.8-Gallon-Portable-Self-Pressurized-Water-System.product.100407280.html

23 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Currently on a camping/hiking road trip. I’ll have good photos later, but here’s a few phone shots.

Moki Dugway:

484d2a18dfac42680b5eb8a98375bea7.jpg

Strike Valley Overlook:

e97324dc55ff2fd462265c6398badef4.jpg

Poop Emoji Mountain:

2668a1805067095fa46576d919b6c810.jpg

Desert Varnish in Capitol Gorge:

e5f2343d9da2c909e34f8b17a20d1be8.jpg

Nice. Have you checked out Muley Point at the top of the Moki Dugway? Take a left on the dirt road as soon as you get to the top of the Moki Dugway and drive to the very end. It's one of my favorite scenic points in that area.

Nice. Have you checked out Muley Point at the top of the Moki Dugway? Take a left on the dirt road as soon as you get to the top of the Moki Dugway and drive to the very end. It's one of my favorite scenic points in that area.

Unfortunately not. I wanted to make it to camp before sundown so I didn’t have time. I wish I would’ve gotten a photo of the Bears Ears too.

Alas, all I got was this:

1d0d3f469f89e4d104666c12a4b99f45.jpg

I think I’m going to explore the Buckskin Gulch and maybe White Pocket after Zion, but maybe I’ll go back to Cedar Mesa.

I'm trying to figure out where I'm going for Memorial weekend.  I have Friday-Monday and the two options right now are Davis Mountains or Ouchita National Forest in Arkansas.  Conceivably I could leave Thursday after work and make it halfway to somewhere and then drive the rest on Friday morning.  That gives me most of Friday, overnight two nights perhaps, then drive back Sunday or Monday.  If I do Davis Mountains, I could get a night in Alpine as well.  I will have 2 dogs though.

Any suggestions?  Other locales?

Are  any of y'all using Hiker Direct?

The prices seem genuinely insane compared to retail & I'm about to pull the trigger on lighter weight sleeping bags (2) & maybe an internal frame backpack for the boy.  The hard part on a backpack for him is he's 11 years old, 5 ft. tall (just measured his height @ the 'robbery strip' @ Whataburger tonight) & I'd like to get one that is going to handle age changes as much as possible.

Cinch-40-2018.jpg

Features

• 380T 20D nylon fabric
  • TechLoft Micro insulation
  • Two-layer offset construction
  • Full length #8 separating zippers
  • Insulated chest, foot and zipper baffles
  • Sleeping bag has open ends that feature versatile drawstrings for easy comfort adjustment
  • Elastic loops are placed along the zippered edges for use as a hammock sleeping bag or quilt
  • Compression stuff sack

Specs

Dimensions: 35" x 82"
Fill weight: 28 oz.
Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz.

Retails for $ 110.00, buying for $ 40.00.

Oh, & one thing about Hiker Direct ... well, 2 things.

1st, the discounts are for Scouters however when I registered they really didn't do much more than ask what your Troop # is & what your role is within the org.  Pretty basic, no registration # or proof or whatnot.

2nd, they have a new process coming online & are being rolled into Alps Mountaineering come 01 May.