Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

I think my plans for a 3-day, 2-night trip to Lassen Volcanic NP the end of next month are going to hold up. I've done some primitive hike-in camping, but this will be my first multi-night, true backpacking trip. Going with my brother, so this will not be a solo trek. I've got a pack and a jet boil, but I need to look at lightweight tents and may need to upgrade to a warmer sleeping bag. Tips for a first-timer on things I could easily overlook? We are planning on doing this loop, assuming the roads to get to the trailhead are clear of snow by June 21.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/summit-horshoe-snag-cinder-cone-rainbow-twin-and-echo-lakes-loop

7 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I think my plans for a 3-day, 2-night trip to Lassen Volcanic NP the end of next month are going to hold up. I've done some primitive hike-in camping, but this will be my first multi-night, true backpacking trip. Going with my brother, so this will not be a solo trek. I've got a pack and a jet boil, but I need to look at lightweight tents and may need to upgrade to a warmer sleeping bag. Tips for a first-timer on things I could easily overlook? We are planning on doing this loop, assuming the roads to get to the trailhead are clear of snow by June 21.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/summit-horshoe-snag-cinder-cone-rainbow-twin-and-echo-lakes-loop

Looks awesome!  

I always shamelessly plug my buddy's site whenever gear questions come up, so here's a link to best tents of 2019.  He's a lightweight guru and all around good guy.

https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-tents-backpacking

Looks awesome!  
I always shamelessly plug my buddy's site whenever gear questions come up, so here's a link to best tents of 2019.  He's a lightweight guru and all around good guy.
https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-tents-backpacking

I didn’t know your friend runs that. That’s cool.

On my recent trip to Zion/Capitol Reef, SWA didn’t get one of my bags on the plane. They told me to buy new stuff and they’d reimburse me. So I went to the Vegas REI and had somewhat of a shopping spree. Embarrassingly for me, after I had setup the new tent, I found my tent in my *other* bag. Whoops. I returned the purchased one to REI but got reimbursed for everything else, so it was a productive trip with a new sleeping bag (Nemo Disco 15), sleeping mat (Exped Megamat Lite), pillow, duffel bag, and $450 voucher.

The tent I had was a Nemo Dagger 2P, and it was great (and I actually considered keeping it, but it was too similar to my MSR Hubba Hubba). I still have my Tarptent Double Rainbow for backpacking.

Here’s a few photos from the trip (I didn’t take many):

3f89e9c5626a1fe4db41d1500af2a557.jpg

3e9ac7ecc7be1533eb23d77a83c790ef.jpg

391694bdecc5af461e4a851af1eb7847.jpg

345a3c5611b784bdaa5fd14fa36184e0.jpg

3a4e7b5abb6b06d0d29b1c217b2bdb9b.jpg
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

I think the biggest mistake most people make at first is carrying way too much stuff.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think the biggest mistake most people make at first is carrying way too much stuff.

No doubt. I'm relatively new to backpacking and that's what I do.

Any of you done the Lone Star Hiking Trail? I did the first 20 mile section but had to stop. Want to go back and try and do the whole thing sometime within the year.

Yea, I could definitely see myself overloading my pack to make sure we have everything we need. Any recommendations for water filters and jetboil meals?

Sawyer filters are always highly rated/recommended...also a lifestraw if you want to be quick about
Have a nalgene or other bottle you like but make sure you know its your dirty one...fill it with water and just drink thru the lifestraw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

Yea, I could definitely see myself overloading my pack to make sure we have everything we need. Any recommendations for water filters and jetboil meals?

Just get the freeze dried meals. No need to carry any other pots or anything except what you might use to drink coffee out of. You pour the boiling water in the bag and then eat it right out of the bag. Bring some extra spices for them though they can be bland.

• Like 2

For water filer:

Sawyer Products SP2129 Micro Squeeze Water Filtration System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBMC32Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fMn1Cb7V4WSFF

This plus a smart water bottle or, what I use is

Katadyn Befree Replacement Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9SE2T9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mNn1CbNNQ7Y59

Plus

Hydrapak Seeker Hydration Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7X1GPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OOn1CbSVJSN6J

Or just buy this version

Katadyn BeFree 3.0L Water Filter, Fast Flow, 0.1 Micron EZ Clean Membrane for Personal or Small Group Camping, Backpacking or Emergency Preparedness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764P4L7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pPn1Cb57K99TJ

• Like 1

For Mountain House, ones I recommend are:

Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
Chicken Teriyaki
Lasagna
Mac and Cheese
Biscuits and Gravy
Granola with Milk and Blueberries (can be hot or cold)

I haven’t really had a “bad” one, and there are many more I haven’t tried.

Backpacker’s Pantry and Alpine Aire make some fancier ones.

Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
Chicken Teriyaki
Lasagna
Mac and Cheese
Biscuits and Gravy
Granola with Milk and Blueberries (can be hot or cold)

I haven’t really had a “bad” one, and there are many more I haven’t tried.

Backpacker’s Pantry and Alpine Aire make some fancier ones.

I havent had it yet but the stroganoff is supposedly legit...and beef stew gets a few recs

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Don't forget matches and water filter. Once when much younger I forgot matches. Made for a much worse trip, as you can imagine. Now I pack like 5 different ways to make fire.

A BIC Jr lighter, ferro rod and a small tube of ECO storm matches is my primary and back up fire needs.  I carry 1 or 2 small fire starter cubes for emergency use in the winter but just use hand sanitizer most of the time as a starter.

36 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

For water filer:

Sawyer Products SP2129 Micro Squeeze Water Filtration System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBMC32Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fMn1Cb7V4WSFF

The Sawyer Squeeze or micro are great for 1 or 2 people.  We used the Platypus Gravity works filters for our Philmont crews. Get a pack of micropur tablets as a backup.

28 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The Chicken and rice and Beef Stroganoff are decent.  Steer clear of the chili mac.

Some Cajun spice in a ziplock and small bottle of hot sauce makes just about anything better.

I'm off to Zion for a 5 day Trek. Doing bottom up Subway then the West to East trans Zion hike. 
Any last minute advice on my load out?
https://lighterpack.com/r/a3i9r0
Or advice in general? [mention=25]Anton Chigurh[/mention]

Man, Subway was a mess when I went a few weeks ago. Hopefully it’s somewhat better for you. I’m 6’3” and the creek crossings were up to waist deep in places for me.

My pic vs “normal” flow.

31362bd05c4bc20c9542dffa5263560e.jpg

a66900f88f49809002cbb18b2fda61cc.jpg

10 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

I'm off to Zion for a 5 day Trek. Doing bottom up Subway then the West to East trans Zion hike. 

Or advice in general? @Anton Chigurh

Pretty good list.   I take 24" of luekotape wrapped around an old motel swipe key instead of moleskin.  I find it works much better for blisters than moleskin.

Or advice in general? [mention=25]Anton Chigurh[/mention]

Hey, something I realized, is that the trail up to east mesa is still closed due to rock fall. What do you plan on doing for that?

Set up my Mantis and tarp for the first time this weekend. Set-up is so quick and easy. Also, I played with a suspension system that doesn’t need trees. I can now hang a hammock on the beach without anything else (or above the tree line, or if I only have one tree).

fe80ed033603ed8aa24d94a96f906af1.jpg

2b1afe70b2c151296d28eca8d3270c3c.jpg

2a72af540ecb86513593b95cd43bd12c.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

Set up my Mantis and tarp for the first time this weekend. Set-up is so quick and easy. Also, I played with a suspension system that doesn’t need trees. I can now hang a hammock on the beach without anything else (or above the tree line, or if I only have one tree).

fe80ed033603ed8aa24d94a96f906af1.jpg

2b1afe70b2c151296d28eca8d3270c3c.jpg

2a72af540ecb86513593b95cd43bd12c.jpg

Thats slick! Did you make the whoopie slings or did they come with the suspension system? Do you have a link?

10 minutes ago, Shenanigans said:

Thats slick! Did you make the whoopie slings or did they come with the suspension system? Do you have a link?

I made the whoopie slings and and those connect to a 6 foot section of amsteel with brummel splices on both ends. Then I bought some 12kn carabiners, and those connect to my stakes and the whoopee slings. The poles are Tensa Solo's, so they collapse down to the length of your forearm. When you buy those, you have the option to include the hardware with them, but I thought they were charging way too much for that, so I opted to buy just the poles and make everything else myself. The system works really well.

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product/tensa2-hammock-stand-formerly-tiggzcraftworkz-carcamp-tele/

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Just used my dividend and 20% off coupon to get my tent for the PCT.  This was my last big piece of gear, not including sat beacon, bear can, ice axe, and microspikes/crampons.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1.

668773bc-c350-4344-b0ee-a05f4b1c3e10?siz

Also, I think I am revising my start date.  I had originally been shooting for April 6, 2020.  Of course a lot of this depends on the permit as well.  Came across an article (blog post) espousing the logic of starting in March instead of the more common mid-April approach.  Makes sense to me and I would love to not be in the "bubble", not to mention being able to get a permit more easily.

https://www.hikerbeta.com/articles/2017/10/10/april-is-the-worst-time-to-start-the-pacific-crest-trail-heres-why

Been looking to upgrade my 13 year-old MSR Zoid 2 before I head out on a 3 week Boundary Waters trip in September.  Got lucky.  Just bought a brand new Copper Spur HV UL2 on auction for $175. Figure I can sell the MSR for $65-$70 and I will have bought a brand new $450 tent for about a hundred bucks.  Today was a good day.

Did you get a footprint for yours?  I think I'd be good in terms of water protection but I worry about the durability of the material.

11 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Did you get a footprint for yours?  I think I'd be good in terms of water protection but I worry about the durability of the material.

From what I've read, a lot of people cut a Tyvek sheet to size for a footprint. It's tough, waterproof, and a fraction of the cost of most footprints. 

On 5/12/2019 at 7:10 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Hey, something I realized, is that the trail up to east mesa is still closed due to rock fall. What do you plan on doing for that?

We're leaving our car at the visitor center, getting a ride to Lee's Pass and hiking back, then driving to the East Rim trailhead to hike in and back from that side. 

We have permits for Horse Camp in Hop Valley, Wildcat Canyon, West Rim, and East Rim. Heading out shortly..

Finished the Subway yesterday. Water has gone down quite a bit, it never hit my waste in any places. There were deeper spots but we picked our crossings carefully. The pools at the top are still covered up though.

Edited by BillyBadAss
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

From what I've read, a lot of people cut a Tyvek sheet to size for a footprint. It's tough, waterproof, and a fraction of the cost of most footprints. 

I bought precut tyvek for my Tarptents but we had a dad in construction donate a partial roll of building tyvek to our scout troop and we made all kinds of footprints and dining flys with it.  Works great.

12 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Been looking to upgrade my 13 year-old MSR Zoid 2 before I head out on a 3 week Boundary Waters trip in September.  Got lucky.  Just bought a brand new Copper Spur HV UL2 on auction for $175. Figure I can sell the MSR for $65-$70 and I will have bought a brand new $450 tent for about a hundred bucks.  Today was a good day.

1 hour ago, BillyBadAss said:

12 minutes ago, davidg said:

I bought precut tyvek for my Tarptents but we had a dad in construction donate a partial roll of building tyvek to our scout troop and we made all kinds of footprints and dining flys with it.  Works great.

Problem with the Copper Spur is that the footprint is specifically made so you can set up just the outer rainfly with it.  For me, this is probably a good thing to have for the PCT in case of Sierra thunderstorms, etc.  I suppose you could put in the grommets in a piece of tyvek and it would work, but I may just drop the $60 for the footprint.

Anyone ever done one of the REI guided trips? I'm looking to get into backpacking but don't want to go alone at first and don't have a partner to go with me. I'm 35, probably about average fitness.

Looks like they have some interesting 3-ish day trips to places like Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail.

31 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Anyone ever done one of the REI guided trips? I'm looking to get into backpacking but don't want to go alone at first and don't have a partner to go with me. I'm 35, probably about average fitness.

Looks like they have some interesting 3-ish day trips to places like Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail.

My co-worker guides for them out at Big Bend, but it's expensive as hell.  Like $3 grand plus for 5 days.  I've heard it's very well done, but I don't want to drop that kind of coin.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:31 AM, tokamak said:

I've done 2 with them. I think if you searched around you might could find the same/similar trips for up to 30% less. 

On 5/13/2019 at 8:05 PM, TexasHooch said:

I bought the footprint for my UL3 and it isn't much thicker than the floor of the tent.  I was fairly unimpressed.  I'm going to add grommets to something a little more durable and see how that works.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, HookEm said:

Planning to do the Eagle Rock loop in Arkansas with my son this coming weekend. High of 85. Low of 69. Is that too hot? Should I bail and go to Ruidoso?

I did it this time a year ago and it was warm, but not too hot.  The ticks are ready and waiting though, so you'll have to take preventive measures and check carefully.

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I bought the footprint for my UL3 and it isn't much thicker than the floor of the tent.  I was fairly unimpressed.  I'm going to add grommets to something a little more durable and see how that works.

I am thinking about doing this as well.  You going to try tyvek?

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am thinking about doing this as well.  You going to try tyvek?

that's probably the starter.  It's cheap and easy to replace, but I've been reading that it sounds really "crinkly" unless you wash it several times beforehand.

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

REI sale is going on currently. If you’re a member you can use your 20% off on it. Or look on Backcountry/Campsaver.

Yeah, I'm gonna use my 20% on new hiking shoes methinks.  I don't have any other big gear purchases left, so shoes make the most sense.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Don’t underestimate the strength of the thinner fabrics. That’s why they’re so damn expensive in the first place.

Although, even 20 repair patches in the bottom of your tent is lighter and cheaper than the stock footprint.

This. If you're careful of where you set up, I wouldn't worry about tearing the footprint too much.