Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

I'm trying to plan my summer family camping trip now.  Am looking into where to go and a good campground to stay in.  Any recs would be much appreciated.  Taking my family and will be car camping in Colorado.  I have little kids so need to be kind of close to a town.  Also a good amount of short hike but good hikes for the 6 and 3 year old.  We are trying to hit up different towns in Colorado.  Favorite so far is Crested Butte.  Below are the places we have camped so far.
RMNP - Long's Peak Campground & Moraine Park
Crested Butte - Oh Be Joyful Campground
Creede, Co
Red River, NM
Taos, NM
I was thinking of hitting up Mesa Verde this year but the wife is afraid it would be too hot.  Will probably head back to RMNP if I don't find something else.  Anyone have a good recommendation for campgrounds around Telluride, Aspen, or Breckinridge?
Not sure about campgrounds since i primatived camped....but look into indian peaks wilderness area...frontrange outside of boulder and trailhead is like 5miles from nederland

If anything it will give you some pretty easy hikes (for Colorado) jasper lake from hessie trailhead is 5.5 miles...and lost lake is about 2 (4 miles rd trip)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my first backpacking trip with my younger brother. We did a 3-day/2-night hike in Lassen Volcanic NP.
Day 1
Starting at Butte Lake, we headed along the east shore and down along the east end of Snag Lake to our camp spot for the night, just south of the lake and a little over 7 miles in. Not much as far as elevation gain after the first mile, but there were good views of Cinder Cone from Butte Lake. The trail was super easy to follow and clear of snow. Our only test was a little creek crossing right before we stopped that required us to wade through knee-high water. After the first 2 miles, we only saw one other group the entire time. Temps must have dropped near freezing overnight. My midnight piss was very uncomfortable, but the sky looked incredible.
Day 2
Shit got interesting on our only full day in the wilderness. We hiked down to Horsheshoe Lake, encountering some snow but nothing that made the trail difficult to follow. After heading west towards the PCT and leaving creek and lake landmarks, the going got much tougher. Snow was about 2-4 feet, but at least firm so we could walk on it without sinking. At this point, we were pretty much entirely reliable on tree markers. After 1-2 miles of this, we pretty much lost the trail entirely and were considering tracing our steps back when we fortunately ran into the first people we had seen all day, heading the opposite direction. They got us back on trail and we were able to follow their tracks the next couple miles to the 1-mile stretch of PCT we walked, which had a handful of people on it and was thankfully easy to follow.
We arrived at rainbow lake a but later, about 8 miles from where we started the day, and set up our tent. Absolutely exhausted at this point, we grabbed our hammocks to take a nap down by the lake. While walking backwards and peering up at a bird in the top of a tree, I looked behind me to make sure I didn't fall (again), and saw a cinnamon black bear probably no more than 30 feet away, staring at me with disinterest. I let go some choice expletives and backed up to where my brother was at, putting some distance between us and the bear. My bro spotted a cub nearby so we backed further down the trail but kept an eye on mama bear, as we were only about 100 yards from our camp. The bear then wandered directly towards our bear canister, pawed at it for a second, then headed towards our tent and bags. The bear gave 0 fucks about our shouts to try and scare it off and started clawing at one of our bags for a couple of minutes. She ended up staying within 50 yards of our tent for almost half an hour before finally wandering off. Fortunately, the only casualty from her camp raid was a deck of playing cards in my brother's bag.
At this point, we wanted to get the hell out of there, so we packed up and headed about a mile up the trail towards cinder come before setting camp again. With no wind or clouds in sight, we left the tain cover off the tent. The stars were again incredible and it was the single quietest night of my life. If we didn't move in our bags, there was not a single sound to be heard. Awesome.
Day 3
Our extra hiking the day before put us only about a half hour from Cinder Cone. We left our packs at the base, which I highly recommend to anyone doing this hike. It was pretty brutal, 700 feet of elevation gain under a mile through sand and loose rock. The view of Lassen Peak, the lava beds and the route we followed the previous 48 hours was the perfect end to the trip. After an easy hike down, it was only 2 more miles to the car, a total of about 20 miles over the three days.
Lassen doesn't necessarily have the scenic splendor of some of the other national parks, but the solitude on the eastern side of the park was great. Outside of the mile of PCT we hiked, and within 2 miles of the parking lot, we saw maybe 3 other small groups of people the entire time. We also went at the perfect time, as the park highway only opened completely the 2nd day we were there, so the crowds had not yet arrived and most people seem to hang out along the highway. I'll post some pictures later.

• Like 1

Back from Philmont yesterday.  618 Bravo Bravo, 100+ miles altogether.

Plenty to discuss and lots of pics.  When I get my act together and catch up on emails at work I will post them.  Had our own run-in with a bear, but it turned and ran away.  

From the floor of the valley (Miranda) to the top of Mount Baldy my pedometer says we did 218 floors, and 16.1 miles round-trip last Friday.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Did this trail in Olympic this weekend. Incredible. 

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/olympic-coast-south-trail

Unanimous amongst my group that is one of the hardest hikes we’ve done. Lots of mud and pulling yourself up on ropes and climbing on rickety ass ladders. Saw awesome wildlife including watching a river otter float around for a half an hour. Having to plan around tide charts was a new challenge as well. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Did this trail in Olympic this weekend. Incredible. 

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/olympic-coast-south-trail

Unanimous amongst my group that is one of the hardest hikes we’ve done. Lots of mud and pulling yourself up on ropes and climbing on rickety ass ladders. Saw awesome wildlife including watching a river otter float around for a half an hour. Having to plan around tide charts was a new challenge as well. 

I was just reading the other day about the Ozette Triangle route, a little north of there.  Any pics?

On 7/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, Saint Tacky said:

Back from Philmont yesterday.  618 Bravo Bravo, 100+ miles altogether.

Plenty to discuss and lots of pics.  When I get my act together and catch up on emails at work I will post them.  Had our own run-in with a bear, but it turned and ran away.  

From the floor of the valley (Miranda) to the top of Mount Baldy my pedometer says we did 218 floors, and 16.1 miles round-trip last Friday.

I'll be there in about a week.   Our trek is shorter than yours but we are going up Baldy and also staying a night at Miranda.  We'll hit Ponil, Flume Canyon, Head of Dean, Ewells Park (twice), and Miranda.  

• 2 months later...

I'm starting to get some gear to start backpack camping and I'm now shopping for a sleeping pad. I'm not going to be needing ultralight I don't think, but I'm still trying to keep things light and packable. I don't see myself doing more than 10-15 miles a day, most cases, so that's why I say I don't think I need to go ultralight. Also talking about several days of hiking, not weeks. At the same time, I'd also like gear that would be light enough to get me through 20 mile days if I want to. But my tent is already 60 oz. total, so I'm already heavy to start. Maybe too heavy, I dunno. I went a little heavier on the tent (2P Nemo Dagger) because I like the option of being able to set it up as a base camp and day hiking the area and coming back to it at night, but also being able to take it with me if I don't have a base camp. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing at this point or where I'm going, so just bear with me. 

I guess inflatable would be the best choice for that type? I'm not sold on that, just seems it would be best for what I'll be doing.   I've been reading up on them, but my question is, does one exist for camping from 20 degrees to 80 degrees, or am I looking at 2 different pads? Is a 2 R value going to freeze me on a 20 degree night, and a 6R value melt me on a 70 degree night? Something in between for that large of a temperature range? 

I think I have everything else right now to get started. I have an older 20 degree Mountain Hardware down sleeping bag, that packs down pretty well and I think is around 40 oz. I know a lot of backpackers prefer the quilts, but I think that bag will suffice for now until I get a little more of a feel for things. I'll scour the Big Bend thread because after a few nights around the Lake Georgetown trail, because it's close, that's probably where I'll head. Or somewhere over in West Texas, doesn't have to be Big Bend I suppose. I'll have a bunch more questions on that later. 

Also, the Nemo Dagger is still a very nice tent. I actually used one for two nights before returning it, because SWA lost my bag on a trip and I thought my tent was in it. SWA bought me a bunch of new gear, but it turned out that the tent was in another bag. Even though it was part of my shopping spree originally, I ended up taking it back (and did later get my missing gear back, too). I was very tempted to keep it, but my MSR Hubba Hubba is basically the same design and is still going strong.

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Also, the Nemo Dagger is still a very nice tent. I actually used one for two nights before returning it, because SWA lost my bag on a trip and I thought my tent was in it. SWA bought me a bunch of new gear, but it turned out that the tent was in another bag. Even though it was part of my shopping spree originally, I ended up taking it back (and did later get my missing gear back, too). I was very tempted to keep it, but my MSR Hubba Hubba is basically the same design and is still going strong.

I was going back and forth on those 2. Do you use it as your main backpacking shelter? 

I was going back and forth on those 2. Do you use it as your main backpacking shelter? 

I don’t anymore. I backpacked with it before getting a TarpTent Notch, but then that was too small for me so I sold it and got a TarpTent Double Rainbow. The MSR is my car camping tent now because it’s a tank and it’s easy to setup. I still want a larger one for car camping eventually, but this one is still good, so I keep using it.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:03 PM, hookem2010 said:

Creek on trail to Butte Lake
Butte Lake Trail
Snag Lake
Day 1 camp
Lower Twin Lake
Cinnamon black bear
Hard to tell, but the bear is right behind the tent
Day 2 camp
Cinder Cone
Fantastic Lava Beds5252c9476f4e13e00c14664ae06187e7.jpg1c491857b3858850549a1aa629818e9e.jpg69ff513dda23ad28d4e8a6b1f1e96b2b.jpgba4292fd3762088028bb4f9f0afd64d5.jpgb32086b6cd05fabc2a22cac459076ca1.jpg1a4e7e0ab15c5052c67097012b6b2fde.jpg92ddfdd796fff8d9b3fc9dfcd1f002e1.jpgcf247727e99e2809bf3bc9cf23a4b442.jpg622d5161a9a1254cdeb5e0b89f2a3b1d.jpg8319aa158b118636b08fb6808cc2ed7c.jpg

Great pics and story.  Cinder Cone is awesome.  Getting to the top was a workout and a half, but what great views once you got up to the top.  My big regret from my trip to Lassen several years ago is that the trail down to Bumpass Hell was closed at the time.  Some day I will return.

Buddy is getting married in Yosemite in two weeks and a couple of days before the wedding we are hiking up to Little Yosemite Valley campground to overnight and then climbing Half Dome at sunrise, cables down.  Gonna be wild.  Been practicing my prusik knot.  For those who don't know, here's what it's about.

• Like 2

Buddy is getting married in Yosemite in two weeks and a couple of days before the wedding we are hiking up to Little Yosemite Valley campground to overnight and then climbing Half Dome at sunrise, cables down.  Gonna be wild.  Been practicing my prusik knot.  For those who don't know, here's what it's about.

Fuck yeah. Pics required.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

No real technical climbing for us.  The bride is already freaked out enough as it is.

Climbing the cables by yourselves is probably more dangerous than being dragged up Snake Dike by a guide.   

I would like to climb Half Dome twice.  Once, up the cables as part of a short backpacking trip from Touloume, down through Cathedral and Sunrise lakes and across Clouds Rest to Little Yose.  Another would be with a guide up Snake Dike and down the cables. 

I would invest in a pair of climbing approach shoes with a good, sticky, rubber compound suitable for polished granite.  I would also use two prusik tethers to be able to go around the cable splices and not ever be disconnected from the cables.  Look at some videos of people on a via ferrata and how they move with the crab claws.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Climbing the cables by yourselves is probably more dangerous than being dragged up Snake Dike by a guide.   

I would like to climb Half Dome twice.  Once, up the cables as part of a short backpacking trip from Touloume, down through Cathedral and Sunrise lakes and across Clouds Rest to Little Yose.  Another would be with a guide up Snake Dike and down the cables. 

I would invest in a pair of climbing approach shoes with a good, sticky, rubber compound suitable for polished granite.  I would also use two prusik tethers to be able to go around the cable splices and not ever be disconnected from the cables.  Look at some videos of people on a via ferrata and how they move with the crab claws.

Yeah, we are going to have two points of connection.  Honestly, it appears doing cables down is safer than if they were up.  People don't usually connect at all when the cables are up.  A woman died there just a couple of months ago.  I'd rather be tied in.

Great pics and story.  Cinder Cone is awesome.  Getting to the top was a workout and a half, but what great views once you got up to the top.  My big regret from my trip to Lassen several years ago is that the trail down to Bumpass Hell was closed at the time.  Some day I will return.
It was still closed when I was there as well as they updated a boardwalk I think, so we didn't really see any of the thermal features. Just soaked in the solitude.

What do y'all for food storage when you're out backpacking in non bear areas? I figured in the tent would be fine, but then I read a bunch of people that had mice and shit chew through their shelter even when they were in it and that would suck. But is a hundred dollars for something like a ursack and odor proof liner really necessary? I'd much rather spend the money on that than hang it every night, though. Do I have other options? 

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

What do y'all for food storage when you're out backpacking in non bear areas? I figured in the tent would be fine, but then I read a bunch of people that had mice and shit chew through their shelter even when they were in it and that would suck. But is a hundred dollars for something like a ursack and odor proof liner really necessary? I'd much rather spend the money on that than hang it every night, though. Do I have other options? 

I admittedly have not field tested this yet, but my set up is an OP Sak inside a ZPacks food bag made out of dyneema.  The food bags will run $30-$40, but last forever.  Ursack is also a good way to go, I've heard.

I've never had any problems with varmints trying to get into my food. But then again I don't think I've ever taken any precautions for bear when backpacking in Arkansas where I know they have them, so I may not be the best resource. If you are in an area that isn't very popular I wouldn't worry too much as long as bears aren't a concern. If it's a popular area, those varmints probably know where to get a meal.

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

You say camera gear.  You mean and expensive DSLR and a couple of extra lenses? Because that's an entirely different deal than a standard backpacking Daypack that has room for a mirrorless camera.

I

I don't want to tote a camera bag, most of which are shoulder strap configuration, along with a separate bag for odds and ends. So maybe 3 lenses and a DSLR + a quart of water, lightweight jacket/hoodie? Figured this crowd would know best what size I would need to accommodate that sort of a load.

I don't want to tote a camera bag, most of which are shoulder strap configuration, along with a separate bag for odds and ends. So maybe 3 lenses and a DSLR + a quart of water, lightweight jacket/hoodie? Figured this crowd would know best what size I would need to accommodate that sort of a load.

I use an Osprey Talon 22 for long day hikes when I bring my camera and food/water etc. Mine is 3 years old or so but has a sleeve for a water bladder. I used it when hiking to the Subway/Angels Landing/Observation Point in Zion, top of Wheeler Peak in NM, a bunch of places in Yosemite, Big Bend, etc. I can stick a tripod in the side as well. Space for a tripod is important, and you should always make sure you have a way to carry one.

It’s got no provisions for any camera stuff, but you can get just a soft sided camera bag insert to use if you want. I just kinda throw it in there and for extra lenses I put them in a cheap soft sleeve thing. When I backpack overnight, I use a standard backpacking pack (Osprey Exos), but of course it’s pretty full of stuff, so I use a “holster” style camera case (like a Case Logic) and use two carabiners and attach it to the bottom part of the chest strap near where it attaches to the bottom of the backpack. It’s out of the way and I don’t notice it at all. See pic:

91eVjlbFFoL._SL1500_.jpg

On short hikes I just use my standard camera bag, which is a Thule Aspect. It’s solid and I can fit a tripod on the outside. It’s not perfect but it’s very good. I use this when I fly with photo gear too.

A1NlTvvSRiL._UX522_.jpg

You want a camera storage backpack with about a 50/50 gear/camera split.  

My wife has an older version of this one.

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/fastpack-bp-250-aw-ii-lp36869-pww/

It's designed more to be a travel bag, but it has a hip-belt so it would certainly work for hiking.  Big downside is that you'd be storing your water directly over your gear.

Lowepro has a ton of options, but another one that looks good (I have no experience with it) is the Truckabee. 

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/truckee-bp-250-lx-lp37238-pww/

It's got that 50/50 split and you could likely fit a nalgene in that side mesh pocket.

If you want to go high end, check out the Mountainsmith Borealis.

https://mountainsmith.com/2018-borealis.html

I have played with this and I really like that it's freestanding. it's also got the hip-belt to help this the extra weight of the camera gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out trekking poles for the first time yesterday on a short 6 miles at lake Georgetown. They made a huge difference once I got the rythm and hang of them. I was a little skeptical of using them because I like to kind of bounce around and take a few jogging hops to get up and around obstacles. It kind of turns it into more of a sport for me I guess.  I thought I'd be encumbered by poles, but I wasn't at all. Saved me from going down a couple times, too. That didn't sound right

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Tried out trekking poles for the first time yesterday on a short 6 miles at lake Georgetown. They made a huge difference once I got the rythm and hang of them. I was a little skeptical of using them because I like to kind of bounce around and take a few jogging hops to get up and around obstacles. It kind of turns it into more of a sport for me I guess.  I thought I'd be encumbered by poles, but I wasn't at all. Saved me from going down a couple times, too. That didn't sound right

Yep, I love my poles.  I'm sitting in a lodge near Yosemite about to apply for my PCT permit in like 20 minutes.  Nervous as shit about where I'm going to be placed in line.  Hope I'm not 5000 people deep.

• Like 1

Damn.  Got three places in line (two browsers open on computer plus one on the phone).  Earliest place in line is 3264, then 5414, then 7880.  This is nuts man.  No idea if I'll get the date I want or a date at all.  If I get skunked, there's another permitting day in January where they open an additional 15 slots per day.

Keep your browsers going. Sometimes processes like that get metered in small groups rather than just given out in one big group in order. Also, lots of people in front of you are seeing those same numbers and will shut their browser off. I doubt those numbers are indicative of your true place in line when the time comes.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Keep your browsers going. Sometimes processes like that get metered in small groups rather than just given out in one big group in order. Also, lots of people in front of you are seeing those same numbers and will shut their browser off. I doubt those numbers are indicative of your true place in line when the time comes.  

So the difference between my spot in line (3264) and the "number of users in line ahead of me" keeps growing.  Started at 37, then 100+ and now up to like 337.  Does this mean people are dropping out and my place in line is actually getting better?  Or maybe people who had multiple browsers going used their first option and closed out the rest of their spots?

I couldn’t tell you. I’ve never applied for permit like that but I got my job by getting one of a couple hundred spots to a specific job fair that 20,000 other idiots like me we’re trying to get at the same time. Between my girlfriend and I we had 10 browsers open and refreshing as the spots were awarded.  I don’t know exactly how the process worked but what was originally an impossible number ended up dropping and I got a spot. 
it’s not quite the same thing as what you’re doing, but I guess the point is you never know what’s happening behind the scenes to change those numbers.