Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

I took the Airstream down to PINS quite a bit, 2-3 times per year for ten years.  Sweeping and mopping never got all the sand out, but the gas-powered leaf blower with all doors and windows open worked pretty well.  Here's a pic from one of my first trips down there, my buddy had a 1972 Winnebago and that's my 1963 Airstream.  

No photo description available.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, blacklab said:

Sand is going to get into everything no matter what so don't take anything that you don't want covered in sand.

At least at North Padre it's windy as fuck. Be prepared for that. Stoves are hard to light, tents and anything light will get blown away if not tied down. A few six inch spikes into sand is not going to keep a tent in place. Need coolers or boxes to keep it down.

I bought a few of these:

view number 1

Plano storage boxes, available at acadamy, cabella's or amazon. They come in different sizes and stack nicely. I take one for truck stuff like tow ropes and trailer hitches, one for food related items, and one for bedding stuff. Use these boxes to weigh down tents.

Take a table of some sort. You can't put anything on the ground or it's going to get sand on/in it.

Take more water than you think you'll need. Lots of rinsing off sand. Dog bowls get sand in them and you end up having to refill with water all the time.

Bring a shovel and get some of these:

61eYZjQM5AL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I got mine on amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TS3SJJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work as a shovel too. If you get stuck in the sand these are a lifesaver. There are no trees to wench to and if ways down the beach may not be anyone around.

Figure out what you're going to do with trash. I typically duct tape a trash bag to the bumper or table. 

Don't forget airing down.  Helps you to not need the Maxtrax

• 2 weeks later...

I thought we had a dedicated Big Bend thread, but can't find it.  I'm starting to plan a 2-3 night backpacking trip for Big Bend in late Oct/early Nov.  I've somehow never been out there, despite living 38 of my about to be 39 years in Texas.  I have the Falcon Guide and Nat Geo map coming on Saturday, but any recommended itineraries for a jaunt like that?

We are thinking about driving in Thurs or Fri and spend a night at Chisos Basin and then hike in and camp a night on the South (?) Rim.  Head back Sunday.

Thoughts appreciated.  Both surly and serious.

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

We are thinking about driving in Thurs or Fri and spend a night at Chisos Basin and then hike in and camp a night on the South (?) Rim.  Head back Sunday.

That is a good plan to start with. Note that some parts of the Rim are closed sometimes due to falcons nesting, I do not know if that is the case right now though. Water is heavy.

1 hour ago, pantone159 said:

That is a good plan to start with. Note that some parts of the Rim are closed sometimes due to falcons nesting, I do not know if that is the case right now though. Water is heavy.

Yeah, looks like the East rim is closed Feb-May.  Also, recreation.gov only shows one south rim site even open and it's reserved on weekends thru November already.  East Rim sites look mostly available though.  

I love the hiking. Not so much backpacking. I prefer to the South Rim in 1 day. Stay 2 nights at either the hotel or the campground. Hit the trail at sunrise (Laguna Meadows). Pack a day pack with water and snacks. Smugly say hello to the hikers with 44 pund packs as you pass them. Hit the peak, down the Pinnacles trail. Eat a big meal as the basin restaurant and have a couple of beers. Next day: do Window or Lost Mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I thought we had a dedicated Big Bend thread, but can't find it.  I'm starting to plan a 2-3 night backpacking trip for Big Bend in late Oct/early Nov.  I've somehow never been out there, despite living 38 of my about to be 39 years in Texas.  I have the Falcon Guide and Nat Geo map coming on Saturday, but any recommended itineraries for a jaunt like that?

Thoughts appreciated.  Both surly and serious.

Step one: Go to google

step two: type: site:surlyhorns.com and the thing you want search

step three: …

step four: profit

Has anyone make the hike from Crested Butte to Aspen via West Maroon Pass?

If so, might you have any advice/feedback?

We ski CB annually, but have never hiked it. Kids are 18 & 12.  Would they survive? 😅

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone make the hike from Crested Butte to Aspen via West Maroon Pass?
If so, might you have any advice/feedback?
We ski CB annually, but have never hiked it. Kids are 18 & 12.  Would they survive?
Thanks in advance!
My kid and I planned to do that hike when he was 11 and had to cancel due to rain. Caveat- we backpack yearly and my kid can hike for days. If you can handle it, do it!
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Also make sure you've hiked at elevation. 11 miles at 9000-1200 ft isn't nothing

I went to 12,000 last year for the first time and, man, that was a beating.  I've done 10,000 several times with no issues, but once I got to about 11,000 I really started to feel it.  I'm sure if I had spent another few days there I would've been fine though.

• Hook 'Em 2

In training for Philmont this summer that's what I've been telling the Scouts that haven't been before. This may seem like a breeze, particularly for the athletes, but the altitude is going to be a butt-whip.  We did a shakeout hike this weekend along the southside of Lake Texoma. Girls got up yesterday, packed their gear in the rain, and did the 5-miles back to cars in a steady downpour and through awful trail conditions. Nary a complaint. Amazing how far they've come this Spring, but (again) the altitude is going to be a a real eye-opener for them. Particularly with Baldy coming on Day 4.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, CleverNickname said:

I love the hiking. Not so much backpacking. I prefer to the South Rim in 1 day. Stay 2 nights at either the hotel or the campground. Hit the trail at sunrise (Laguna Meadows). Pack a day pack with water and snacks. Smugly say hello to the hikers with 44 pund packs as you pass them. Hit the peak, down the Pinnacles trail. Eat a big meal as the basin restaurant and have a couple of beers. Next day: do Window or Lost Mine.

Yeah but then you don't get that South Rim sunrise.  

IMG_8480.thumb.JPG.e3da17cc26e72f971450ea983acbab1b.JPGIMG_8492.thumb.JPG.e5e1837cc14918eb1e162dc442626768.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Hiking the Teton Crest Trail (north to south) with 6 other guys the last weekend in August. 36 miles and 10k feet of elevation gain in 4 days/3 nights.

Based on memorial day reports from multiple national parks it looks like Yellowstone and Grand Teton will be full up all summer; thank God for the back country trails. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

In training for Philmont this summer that's what I've been telling the Scouts that haven't been before. This may seem like a breeze, particularly for the athletes, but the altitude is going to be a butt-whip.  We did a shakeout hike this weekend along the southside of Lake Texoma. Girls got up yesterday, packed their gear in the rain, and did the 5-miles back to cars in a steady downpour and through awful trail conditions. Nary a complaint. Amazing how far they've come this Spring, but (again) the altitude is going to be a a real eye-opener for them. Particularly with Baldy coming on Day 4.

I probably posted this before but left out a couple days early and stopped one day in Capulin and hiked the rim of the volcano, then stayed in the cabins at the NRA Whittington Center and spend one day doing a full pack hike up into their back country.  I think both of these helped with acclimation for a bunch of Houston flatlanders.

10 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Hiking the Teton Crest Trail (north to south) with 6 other guys the last weekend in August. 36 miles and 10k feet of elevation gain in 4 days/3 nights.

Based on memorial day reports from multiple national parks it looks like Yellowstone and Grand Teton will be full up all summer; thank God for the back country trails. 

Fuck.  Yes.  Take pics.

• Hook 'Em 1

Need to cross-post this with health/wellness threads, but man have I taken to "rucking".  Used to hike all the time.  For recreation and mountain hunting in NM and CO.  One of my new "COVID exercises".  Old backpack with 50-55lbs of weight in it.  By yourself or with the dog.  Then find the hilliest terrain I can find (parking garages work great with the stairs and inclines) and get after it.

When I do hike, now carrying that weight and more is a breeze.  We were at the grand canyon last year and some of those trails were a little hairy.  Took a good portion of the families water into my pack to help them out and I didn't notice much of a difference with the added weight.  Addictive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Need to cross-post this with health/wellness threads, but man have I taken to "rucking".  Used to hike all the time.  For recreation and mountain hunting in NM and CO.  One of my new "COVID exercises".  Old backpack with 50-55lbs of weight in it.  By yourself or with the dog.  Then find the hilliest terrain I can find (parking garages work great with the stairs and inclines) and get after it.

When I do hike, now carrying that weight and more is a breeze.  We were at the grand canyon last year and some of those trails were a little hairy.  Took a good portion of the families water into my pack to help them out and I didn't notice much of a difference with the added weight.  Addictive. 

Lol, that sounds awful.  But glad it works for you man.  I've gotten pretty addicted to my peloton during covid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol, that sounds awful.  But glad it works for you man.  I've gotten pretty addicted to my peloton during covid. 

Got a Hydrow.  Pelaton-esq but a rowing machine.  Same concept.  Love it.

I have to get outside and fuck running.  Throw in the earbuds.  Good audio book or podcast.  Take one of the mutts with me.  Get after it.  It's pretty hilly where we leave and I usually do it at one of the two kids sports practice.  Keep in the bed of the truck.

Funny story:  truck was in the front driveway and left unlocked.  Someone broke in.  Probably kids as no car, but they took the rucksack that was in the cab (it was a nicer Oakley backpack I'd had).  Found it two doors down in neighbors from lawn.  They probably took.  Made it a house or two, said fuck all this nonsense and just dumped.  Neighbor called me laughing about it as he knows I do it all the time.  

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:21 AM, BabaYaga said:

THIS is a great idea. My wife and I do a 3-4mi morning walk on our “off” days, from the gym. We frequently see a gentleman doing this exact thing. There’s one fairly steep hill in our neighborhood.  He’s got his backpack loaded and he walks up and down the hill. He varies his strides from short to long (almost like a walking lunge up the hill).  It looks fun and extremely exhausting. 

2 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

THIS is a great idea. My wife and I do a 3-4mi morning walk on our “off” days, from the gym. We frequently see a gentleman doing this exact thing. There’s one fairly steep hill in our neighborhood.  He’s got his backpack loaded and he walks up and down the hill. He varies his strides from short to long (almost like a walking lunge up the hill).  It looks fun and extremely exhausting. 

It's fantastic.  I keep it in the truck and complement gym/kettlebell workouts 3-5 times a week, 3-4mi. at a time.  I use a crappy backpack.  Is you use a "real" pack with a frame and better straps it's even better.  You want the weight as high in the pack as you can get it.  It's a combo of cardio and strength training and forces your core and posterior chain to be dialed in.  

Lots of companies have entered the game and have really cool market options

GoRuck

These are cool too.  Can strap plates on your back.  Or go Rocky Balboa like me and use an old pack full of bricks.  

PNQPEHSFTJOCBCDGICBHDVQNHM.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not for the faint of heart or unprepared. 

That’s public land hunting summed up pretty well. Maybe would have added “or uninsured” at the end, but close enough. 

27 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You want the weight as high in the pack as you can get it.  It's a combo of cardio and strength training and forces your core and posterior chain to be dialed in.

Dumb question amnesty, por favor. Is that just for the workout/training?

It’s been so long since I backpacked like that for multiple days that I can’t remember the “proper” way to arrange a pack. Would make sense though to try and have the top heavier than the bottom though, just from gravity and how that weight would sit on you and where it would pull more on you than tag along for the ride. 

Not that I’ll backpack again like that, I’m pretty much over it and sticking to truck camping. Even that seems to be getting closer to saying fuck it and getting a camper. I like camping. Love the shit out of it. Woods, middle of nowhere, nice place to fish amd I’ll be back when I get back. But ya know, aches and pains tend to catch up as the calendar keeps flippin pages. Crawling around, lugging so much shit (women complicate shit by a factor of at least 10 usually) from a tote with the camp kitchen, a tote with the basic bedding and other stuff (portable fan, camp pillows, a stiff blanket for under the sleeping bag or sheets so the dog doesn’t put a hole in the damn nemo roamer double pad, top blanket for summer, sleeping bag liner to go with it in spring/fall, 3 fucking lanterns and propane/batteries. Ugh.

I’d like to get paired down, and some backpacking philosophies would help a bit. Some have already been enacted and at least it’s now just 2 totes. Was 3, sometimes 4 depending on destination, and all too damn heavy with shit. So getting down to just two totes that are at least a good bit lighter than they were is good.

May be sacrilege in some parts, but hauling enough wood in for a weekend takes up 2/3 of the bed of my truck. Load wood front to back on each side, up to where I can just still close the top, and now just 1/3 of the bed is open in the middle. So thinking of getting a propane fire pit. Tank of gas should last about 12-14 hours for it. Good enough. That would free up about 3/4 of the space the wood takes up. Not old school, but if it makes more room, maybe I can see out the back without whatever bullshit ends up getting stacked in the back seat. 

Camp stove, 2 coolers (one drinks, one food), totes, and then the accessory bag of odd and end shit, 15x15 tarp for under tent, plus tent, camping chairs, and the good old portable bucket in a barrel thing for woman/women to piss n shit in. May or may not have a small folding table, depends on location. May/may not have screen tent. May/may not have a hammock stand.

The madness never ends. Too. Much. Shit. (A fact which remains oblivious to the common woman. (See: wives and the stupid things they say/do thread for plenty of references.)

I did get a damn good nesting cook set though. That, plus taking out 10lbs of never used in 10 years fucking tupperware, other never used shit, and there ya go. 4 totes down to two. Was a good victory, but more to go. 

Speaking of car camping stuff, I got a chuck box and used it for the first time on a recent trip to Great Basin and Capitol Reef.

This thing is awesome. Totally worth the money. Makes everything easy. Also used a computer oven. It’s nice to have without having to utilize a Dutch oven, but unfortunately the heat buildup did cause a little bit of melting on top of the chuck box.

Regardless, it’s a great product and I would recommend it.

f8ad012369032219fd72deeb70e63602.jpg
af7c5d3930e6adef2af3ce9b893b1c38.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Bristle cone pines?

Yep. Seeing California Condors and Great Basin Bristlecones (Pinus longaeva) were the goals for this trip. I completed both, though the Bristlecone photos were just okay (the better ones are in a grove I didn’t get to).

It was incredible seeing both of them, though. Both were bucket-list type items for me.
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Speaking of car camping stuff, I got a chuck box and used it for the first time on a recent trip to Great Basin and Capitol Reef.

This thing is awesome. Totally worth the money. Makes everything easy. Also used a computer oven. It’s nice to have without having to utilize a Dutch oven, but unfortunately the heat buildup did cause a little bit of melting on top of the chuck box.

Pos rep for using a white gas Coleman.  We probably have 10 stoves and 20+ lanterns.  Dad and Mom did a bunch of garage sale trip when they first retired and I think dad bought every one he saw.   I really like how sturdy the old metal frames are and want to take one of them and put in a medium flow propane burner to have one for frying fish.

Pos rep for using a white gas Coleman.  We probably have 10 stoves and 20+ lanterns.  Dad and Mom did a bunch of garage sale trip when they first retired and I think dad bought every one he saw.   I really like how sturdy the old metal frames are and want to take one of them and put in a medium flow propane burner to have one for frying fish.

It’s a damn tank. This one is a ‘73. I found it at an estate sale for $8. Replaced the pump leather and just cleaned the tank, and that’s it.

I still want a white gas lantern, I just haven’t come across one yet. I don’t really care to pay a premium for it. Of course, I haven’t been to an estate sale either since COVID.

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

It’s been so long since I backpacked like that for multiple days that I can’t remember the “proper” way to arrange a pack. Would make sense though to try and have the top heavier than the bottom though, just from gravity and how that weight would sit on you and where it would pull more on you than tag along for the ride.

Absolutely NOT A dumb question. 
And in my opinion, you’ve “talked” your way into the answer. 
Just as with proper weight training...think back squats (or even front squats!); you want the load “high”/up on your shoulders across the traps. 

This keeps it centered and thus forces you to tighten the core, thereby taking load off your lower back. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c301d794dad147973d0632764beee815.jpeg

and I hope Broskie has on some SPF! I have a similar “hair style” and have already had to have some spots removed and two MOHS procedures.  
#theforestislosingitscanopy

#grassdontgrowonabusystreet

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s a damn tank. This one is a ‘73. I found it at an estate sale for $8. Replaced the pump leather and just cleaned the tank, and that’s it.

I still want a white gas lantern, I just haven’t come across one yet. I don’t really care to pay a premium for it. Of course, I haven’t been to an estate sale either since COVID.

I’m your huckleberry.   I’m up at Dad’s checking on him and just walked out and looked in the garage.  There are these three and 5’ to the right a box with 2 more in it and two stoves next to that.  I’m sure the storage shed in the back yard has 4 or 5 hanging from the rafters and there are 3 or4 ones we actually use in a container at the farm.  Let me see if I can find one that is in decent shape.

6BAA288B-9293-493C-B00E-047CF002AA47.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

af7c5d3930e6adef2af3ce9b893b1c38.jpg

Link? Nice box. I tried to find a decent one several years back, but struck out. Either too small, or way too damn much just because a box was called a “chuck box” for camping. Yeah, say it’s for camping and the same generic thing is now 5x as much.

31 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yep. Seeing California Condors and Great Basin Bristlecones (Pinus longaeva) were the goals for this trip. I completed both, though the Bristlecone photos were just okay (the better ones are in a grove I didn’t get to).

It was incredible seeing both of them, though. Both were bucket-list type items for me.

Those were some really great pics. Thanks for sharing, and feel free to post more. 

6 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s a damn tank. I found it at an estate sale for $8. Replaced the pump leather and just cleaned the tank, and that’s it.

I bought a camp chef explorer a while back. The ol coleman just wasn’t doing it well enough. I could have rigged something up to get it better, certainly. Let me tell you bout this stove with 2 big ass burners. Fuckin ridiculous. Had the percolator boiling in 2-3 minutes, shocked me. Did good with wind. And could do a crab/craw/whatever boil with ease. Obviously not a backpacking stove, but car camping/tailgating? Got damn glorious.

I do have 2 of the gas lanterns. Classic style. I take one of those and 2 bright ass led ones.

Yup, too much shit. 😔

• Like 1

I bought a camp chef explorer a while back. The ol coleman just wasn’t doing it well enough. I could have rigged something up to get it better, certainly. Let me tell you bout this stove with 2 big ass burners. Fuckin ridiculous. Had the percolator boiling in 2-3 minutes, shocked me. Did good with wind. And could do a crab/craw/whatever boil with ease. Obviously not a backpacking stove, but car camping/tailgating? Got damn glorious.
I do have 2 of the gas lanterns. Classic style. I take one of those and 2 bright ass led ones.
Yup, too much shit. 

https://yokeoutdoors.com/

Price just went up $30, but you can get a discount code for I think 10% off by doing the email thing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Those Camp Chef stoves are awesome but they don’t pack well IMO.  I know they have bags and stuff for them but they are kinda ackward.  We had a couple for the adult patrol when my son was in scouts and it seemed like they were always in the way or falling off of a shelf.

My buddy has several of these cheap burners on a sheet metal covered counter in his camp barn.  I want to take something like these and mount in one of the old Coleman stoves.   The enclosed box shape of the Colemans is what I like for packing in the back of a truck.

C9434280-F7B7-41EB-B400-A7F3F15E9D50.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, davidg said:

Those Camp Chef stoves are awesome but they don’t pack well IMO.  I know they have bags and stuff for them but they are kinda ackward.  We had a couple for the adult patrol when my son was in scouts and it seemed like they were always in the way or falling off of a shelf.

My buddy has several of these cheap burners on a sheet metal covered counter in his camp barn.  I want to take something like these and mount in one of the old Coleman stoves.   The enclosed box shape of the Colemans is what I like for packing in the back of a truck.

C9434280-F7B7-41EB-B400-A7F3F15E9D50.jpeg

The carry bag makes a huge difference. The legs and wind screen fit in the top in sleeves, plenty of room for the stove, as well as the half griddle.

I’ve fought other stoves and wind, not enough heat to cook, whatever. To be fair most of the time I’m going to be in a windy spot where the air is just funneled through and picks up a little extra speed. Love that river bend and all the flatties I pull out though. Wish I would have caved  many moons ago. Would have saved a lot of frustration and bullshit. Live and learn.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

https://yokeoutdoors.com/

Price just went up $30, but you can get a discount code for I think 10% off by doing the email thing.

Thanks for that. Not a bad thing, but a little small for me. That part isn’t necessarily where I’d go high quality/price. Tent? Rain gear? Other important items like sleeping pad, bag, etc? Sure.  Guess it’s still a kitchen tote for now, but that is a neat box for the right people. 

22 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Pretty much.  I hate running, and the isolation covid protocols forced a little ingenuity for everyone with everything closed.  Have tons of hunting packs, and my kids have practices almost every night that I have to take them to, so why not get a little time in while I'm there.  To me, it just amplifies your time.  For example, a 30-45 min walk over hills with a pack is an ass kicker vs just walking with no weight it would take many times longer to get the same impact (if at all).  

As for training, that too.  I haven't mountain hunted in a while, but who knows.  Even then, as we get older, I'm trying to stay lean and strong.  This is a great, great option to do that.  With kids we car camp/glamp, but I still am the relegated pack mule.  

Anyone have a favorite handheld/wrist GPS system they really like?  I have always used a regular compass, topo maps, and "onX" digital topo maps on my phone (they don't need coverage to work).

Just picked up a Garmin Fenix 5 and so far I'm loving it.  And this is the discontinued one....the new ones have got to be slick.  Has the heartrate and pulse ox sensors as well, which I like for working out, monitoring sleep, etc.  

Anyone used before?  Reviews?

1315632518_Garminwatch.thumb.jpg.f4b18f80e763ab086095c9ad17e1ee2e.jpg

I just use Gaia GPS on my phone.  I know a lot of people like the watches, but that's just not my thing, so I have nothing to add.

Also, I got tired of waiting for my jackass friends to commit to dates for Big Bend and there was literally one site left in the Chisos Basin on Fridays in October, so I snagged it and a Rim site for the next night, plus the last Chisos site for the night after the rim.  Logistically, it's a pain in the ass to have to have car camping sites as book ends for a night on the rim, but I don't see how else you would do it, especially having to pack in water.

If the dates don't work out for my friends, are we just screwed for this year or is there a chance some sites will open up later on in the year?

Edited by Biff Tannen

On 6/4/2021 at 6:16 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

I was in great basin a couple of years ago.  was a great trip and love my pictures of the bristlecone pines.   there was a short side trail off that one that took you to a snowmelt lake.   did you happen to hit that too?  it was beautiful.

went to vermillion cliffs spring break, with one of the goals to see the condors but didnt see a damn one.   they are at the north rim also, but it was closed due to snow on the road.  going to have to head back that way soon to check that off.   where did you see yours?  capitol reef?

I was in great basin a couple of years ago.  was a great trip and love my pictures of the bristlecone pines.   there was a short side trail off that one that took you to a snowmelt lake.   did you happen to hit that too?  it was beautiful.
went to vermillion cliffs spring break, with one of the goals to see the condors but didnt see a damn one.   they are at the north rim also, but it was closed due to snow on the road.  going to have to head back that way soon to check that off.   where did you see yours?  capitol reef?

I saw Teresa Lake. There is another but I didn’t go over there. There was still a lot of snow on the trail and I was hurrying back for a cave tour that I actually F’d up the time on (so it was pointless getting back for anyway).

0454310a70daf20f692b5989d84a8032.jpg

The Condors were at Navajo Bridge.

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I saw Teresa Lake. There is another but I didn’t go over there. There was still a lot of snow on the trail and I was hurrying back for a cave tour that I actually F’d up the time on (so it was pointless getting back for anyway).

0454310a70daf20f692b5989d84a8032.jpg

The Condors were at Navajo Bridge.

awesome.  i stopped at navajo bridge.  enjoyed it there but no condors.   we had a vrbo in fredonia that worked out fantastically for doing everything we wanted to do.  it snowed like a sonofabitch so that was something to work around, and the cold, but really the only misses were condors and north rim.