Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

You can get a TarpTent for not much more and save a lot of weight, especially if you plan on using trekking poles. Some of their models differ (some don’t need or require trekking pole support), but the poles do have to stay supporting the tent, so it’s best for a section or through type hike. If you don’t need trekking poles for the exploring the canyon in between the hiking in and out days, however, it will save a LOT of weight. My TT Notch is 29oz all in with better stakes.

Also, buy the EE quilt. They are legit. I have a Revelation 20° in long and extra wide and it’s still only 25oz.

+1 on the Tarptent.  I have a protrail and an REI Quarter Dome 2+.  I use the protrail for backpacking and the QD when 1 person car camping.  I'm on my second QD and need to return it too.  Both of them have had issues with the seam tape disintegrating. 

On 7/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

You can get a TarpTent for not much more and save a lot of weight, especially if you plan on using trekking poles. Some of their models differ (some don’t need or require trekking pole support), but the poles do have to stay supporting the tent, so it’s best for a section or through type hike. If you don’t need trekking poles for the exploring the canyon in between the hiking in and out days, however, it will save a LOT of weight. My TT Notch is 29oz all in with better stakes.

Also, buy the EE quilt. They are legit. I have a Revelation 20° in long and extra wide and it’s still only 25oz.

Just got my EE Revelation 20 also.  Can't wait to try it out, but since it's balls hot in Texas, probably will wait til this fall/winter.  TarpTent is high on my list for solo tent, but leaning towards Nemo Hornet as well.  

On 7/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, UnivTex34 said:

Crap, didn't see this and was wanting to buy one for myself.  We used them on our Philmont trips and they work great for a larger group backpacking together.

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

Crap, didn't see this and was wanting to buy one for myself.  We used them on our Philmont trips and they work great for a larger group backpacking together.

Yeah, a buddy has one, and its great for large quantities. It was only available for like 5-10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

My kids have been hiking and camping around Colorado for the last 10 days and are climbing Mt Elbert in the morning.  They had a reserved site at the RMNP East Portal campground and they got fcfs campsites at the Timber Creek Campsite in western side of the park.  They have also stayed at a fcfs site at Turquoise Lake in Leadville.  They havent sent many pics back but I'm extremely jealous that I'm not with them but also proud that they planned and are executing a trip by themselves.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Need some sand driving practice for my big trip in October in Oregon, so leaving Austin around 5:30 tomorrow morning to spend the day with the mutt on PINS. Not going to stay overnight, but hoping to get good and isolated for the day. 

It's the weekend so it'll probably be pretty busy out to about mile 5.  Beyond that you'll be mostly on your own.  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

If the beach road is REALLY passable, that happens.  Usually it gets a little dicey between 5 and 10, and totally 4x4 past mile 15 or so.

Yeah, I was super disappointed. There were only spots about 30 yard long that ever were soft, so you could essentially just carry speed through them. We stopped after driving for an hour to let the dog play. I’m going to go back in a few weeks and leave the dog home so I can drive to the end. Surely at some point it gets soft, cause we had it in 2wd the whole time doing 25.

Yup, that's way down for an RV.  We usually park our RV a half mile past the last people we see, and that's seldom more than 6 or 7 miles down.

I've only driven the 60 or 70 miles down once, many years ago, and pretty much the entire beach was very soft.  Not crazy or anything, my Tahoe Z71 4x4 was able to handle it easily, but it wouldn't have been passable for passenger cars or RVs that's for sure.

Well,  my kids made the summit of Mt Elbert, but unfortunately got themselves caught in a storm on the ridge near the second summit on the way back down.  They crawled down off the ridgeline into some rocks and covered with a survival blanket with falling temperatures, hail, high winds and lightning around.  Since the weather forecast for later that afternoon was for storms the rest of the evening they kinda of freaked out and didn't think they could stay like that for another 8-10 hours.  They ended up punching the SOS on the spot tracker.

My drive home from visiting my father was interrupted with call from the Lake County, CO emergency management saying they received an SOS from Mt Elbert.  Not what you want to hear on your Saturday afternoon drive.  At about the same time I got one cryptic text from the kids says "in storm on summit, lightning" and nothing else.  We couldn't tell if one of them was hit or what.  LC Sheriff rescue was starting to gear up to send a couple of guys up to the summit to determine the situation and put a helo on standby if the weather broke and was needed.  After a bit we were able to get a couple of 3 word texts to transmit back and forth and were able to determine that they weren't hurt at that time and just didn't think they could stay there if the storm was all evening.    After about 45 minutes the storm let off, the skys cleared and we were able to get phone contact and find out more about the situation and they decided they would walk off by themselves.   

They spent yesterday soaking at a hot spring and are headed back to Texas today.  I guess they have a pretty good story to tell about their summer trip.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1

2vaf6l4.jpg

On a hill and out of focus. Pretty much sums up the camping experience this past weekend.  Luckily no rain. 6 guys all in one tent, thank god for army cots, and pilfered 2 x 4's to level out the cot.  This was about all that was left when we rolled in Thursday.  Should have taken my hammock !!

Floydfest, Floyd county Va.  5 days of great bluegrass, some country, and rock and roll.  Greta van Fleet, Gov't Mule, Jason Isabel, Foster the people, old crow medicine show, Horseshoes and hand grenades, along with about 15 more acts.  Beer, beer, beer, great food, lots of hippies and hot hippy chicks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Wow, glad they're ok.  I definitely wouldn't ever want that call from the Sheriff.

Also, Onboard, the festival sounds cool but that tent looks uncomfortable AF.

Lots of alcohol and some interior grade manipulation made it livable.  We weren't at the site unless we were sleeping. The shows go from 10:00 am till 2-3:00 in the morning. This event has been going on for 18 years. Chill as hell, everybody friendly and having a good time.  

The porta joins after 5 days were still clean. people were just very respectful of the surroundings.  Families with infants to 80 year olds, and all the dead heads and other music fans of all ages in between.

4 hours ago, davidg said:

Well,  my kids made the summit of Mt Elbert, but unfortunately got themselves caught in a storm on the ridge near the second summit on the way back down.  They crawled down off the ridgeline into some rocks and covered with a survival blanket with falling temperatures, hail, high winds and lightning around.  Since the weather forecast for later that afternoon was for storms the rest of the evening they kinda of freaked out and didn't think they could stay like that for another 8-10 hours.  They ended up punching the SOS on the spot tracker.

My drive home from visiting my father was interrupted with call from the Lake County, CO emergency management saying they received an SOS from Mt Elbert.  Not what you want to hear on your Saturday afternoon drive.  At about the same time I got one cryptic text from the kids says "in storm on summit, lightning" and nothing else.  We couldn't tell if one of them was hit or what.  LC Sheriff rescue was starting to gear up to send a couple of guys up to the summit to determine the situation and put a helo on standby if the weather broke and was needed.  After a bit we were able to get a couple of 3 word texts to transmit back and forth and were able to determine that they weren't hurt at that time and just didn't think they could stay there if the storm was all evening.    After about 45 minutes the storm let off, the skys cleared and we were able to get phone contact and find out more about the situation and they decided they would walk off by themselves.   

They spent yesterday soaking at a hot spring and are headed back to Texas today.  I guess they have a pretty good story to tell about their summer trip.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Glad they made it down OK.  That is why most climbers I know watch the weather closely and will plan to summit before noon so they can be down before the PM thunderstorms roll through.  It makes for some early mornings, but keeps you out of harms way.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Glad they made it down OK.  That is why most climbers I know watch the weather closely and will plan to summit before noon so they can be down before the PM thunderstorms roll through.  It makes for some early mornings, but keeps you out of harms way.

Yeah, isn't this standard practice?

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, isn't this standard practice?

Yes it is.  They left the trailhead at 6am and were on the summit before noon.  I think they spent a bunch of time at the summit and let that storm sneak up on them as they were expecting storms in the late afternoon per the forecast.  The first sos went out about 1:20 MDT and they were about a mile down from the summit but had about another mile before getting off the ridge and down below the treeline.  I think they said there were two other groups on the summit when they left but they went down a different trail.

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

Yes it is.  They left the trailhead at 6am and were on the summit before noon.  I think they spent a bunch of time at the summit and let that storm sneak up on them as they were expecting storms in the late afternoon per the forecast.  The first sos went out about 1:20 MDT and they were about a mile down from the summit but had about another mile before getting off the ridge and down below the treeline.  I think they said there were two other groups on the summit when they left but they went down a different trail.

Dang.  As I said, sounds like they did everything right, just unlucky.  Glad they are ok.

• 2 weeks later...

So im an idiot first of all...and this will qualify has walking not hiking lol

So since i called off colorado trail with the fires i came to destin to hang with friends.
I decided last night i would see how far i could go since i did a few miles in prep for trail. Done 18/20+ miles before in yosemite and big bend so i figured the 34 miles flat terrain should be fine. Was cruising thru the night and feeling strong. Ended up making it in the 23/24 range and legs said thats it dummy. Ended up flagging down a county sherriff that took me to town and finished with a lyft

Never really ventured in this thread but I am spending a few days in Colorado Springs. If you did one hike here what would it be? Also not a pro at this at all, just want to get out of the office, have some fun and see some awesome rock formations. 

I was told Garden of the Gods is a must but might only have time for 1 hike/sightseeing afternoon.

16 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Never really ventured in this thread but I am spending a few days in Colorado Springs. If you did one hike here what would it be? Also not a pro at this at all, just want to get out of the office, have some fun and see some awesome rock formations. 

I was told Garden of the Gods is a must but might only have time for 1 hike/sightseeing afternoon.

Yeah if you only have time for one i would do garden of the gods. There will be quite a few easy trails you can do and some more challenging ones

If you want something more in mountains checkout 7 bridges trail in north cheyenne canyon park. Its a moderate trail 3.7 miles long one way so you dont have to do it all just turn around and head back when you feel

On 7/30/2018 at 8:26 AM, utee94 said:

Yup, that's way down for an RV.  We usually park our RV a half mile past the last people we see, and that's seldom more than 6 or 7 miles down.

I've only driven the 60 or 70 miles down once, many years ago, and pretty much the entire beach was very soft.  Not crazy or anything, my Tahoe Z71 4x4 was able to handle it easily, but it wouldn't have been passable for passenger cars or RVs that's for sure.

Heading back tomorrow with a buddy. We are headed all the way to the end hopefully.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Awesome, I hope you find a really crappy beach road and a sparsely populated journey. :)

Just called Malaquite, of course she didn't have info that was less than a week old, but sounds like last weekend it was similar to what I experienced on the 28th. Oh well, should make the trip to the cut much quicker. May end up camping after all.

Made it home. Long day. Wasn’t too hard this go around, had several mile plus sections of very soft sand starting around mile 20. There was maybe a tenth of the folks out today, matter of fact, the most we saw was at the cut, a Boy Scout troop came via boat to clean the last 2 miles. Got some rain at the turnaround, so the return trip was rock hard. Already planning a trip with a buddy that came with me to camp around mile 40 once it cools down a bit.

Looking across the cut to SPI:

6df05698fbda165a6ae78dbf632dcd33.jpg

View of the storm looking back north from the top of the jetty:

8749f5258fe5fda912fb1b4e7b1f983e.jpg

Watch out for hazards on road:

27ac8ad139edc715440386e939981668.jpg

Yeah if you only have time for one i would do garden of the gods. There will be quite a few easy trails you can do and some more challenging ones
 If you want something more in mountains checkout 7 bridges trail in north cheyenne canyon park. Its a moderate trail 3.7 miles long one way so you dont have to do it all just turn around and head back when you feel

It was awesome. Glad I made time for it
3bc8bae6d6e7d26edb87febda6270c51.jpg
4fcf0a263ff2ddcc735fa9eb65650b4d.jpg
8efb42a352a7e78f7b7dfd6d604a3464.jpg
  • Like 2

Anyone take a 6 year old to north rim at big bend? Could do overnight or day trip. 

If overnight it would break up the walk so maybe he won't wear down. But if he wants to bail early then I'd be bailing with a shit load extra gear.I figure I'd have to carry almost  everything anyways.  Suggestions? 

Anyone take a 6 year old to north rim at big bend? Could do overnight or day trip. 
If overnight it would break up the walk so maybe he won't wear down. But if he wants to bail early then I'd be bailing with a shit load extra gear.I figure I'd have to carry almost  everything anyways.  Suggestions? 

I have no experience with this problem...off the top of my head i would say plan on splitting it up

I did southrim and emory in one go in February and was like 18 miles and took all day from 6am to 4pm

Landing at noon at SeaTac on Friday September 14th with two healthy friends. Staying through late afternoon of Tuesday the 18th. Itinerary is an open book. Just want to get lost in wooded mountains and water features. I've heard of the Hoh Forest. I'm sure parts of the coast are very 'Goonies'. But am probably more comfortable with Quinalt. Would love to tackle Mt. Rainer, but not this time. U Dub is out of town that weekend.

These particular high altitude lakes seem to mostly be opposite of Seattle on western side of the Olympic Park.

https://rootsrated.com/stories/5-amazing-high-alpine-lakes-to-explore-in-olympic-national-park

Some mildly hot chick just posted this in a Washington Hiker Facebook group.

http://www.brittanywanderlust.com/2018/08/12-epic-swim-locations-in-washington.html?m=1

I love Washington. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Fuck that loop-d-loop guy, and fuck the trojans.

Edited by JohnnyRage

I'll let the Washington people speak up here, but if you want to see a better looking chick in the same area, check out BeccaTarbox on Instagram.  She does all kinds of hiking, kayaking, snowboarding, etc up there and occasionally shows some amazing sideboob.

Ha, I have seen her on the various Facebook pages, too.

Landing at noon at SeaTac on Friday September 14th with two healthy friends. Staying through late afternoon of Tuesday the 18th. Itinerary is an open book. Just want to get lost in wooded mountains and water features. I've heard of the Hoh Forest. I'm sure parts of the coast are very 'Goonies'. But am probably more comfortable with Quinalt. Would love to tackle Mt. Rainer, but not this time. U Dub is out of town that weekend.

These particular high altitude lakes seem to mostly be opposite of Seattle on western side of the Olympic Park.
https://rootsrated.com/stories/5-amazing-high-alpine-lakes-to-explore-in-olympic-national-park
Some mildly hot chick just posted this in a Washington Hiker Facebook group.
http://www.brittanywanderlust.com/2018/08/12-epic-swim-locations-in-washington.html?m=1

I love Washington. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Fuck that loop-d-loop guy, and fuck the trojans.
I would recommend olympic personally

Can get in some wooded hikes and mountains plus can camp on beach and checkout tidepools

Saw a starfish octopus and tons of crabs last time i was there in 2016

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some news to lighten the load -- a new "floating" backpack is being developed that could soon ease the burden of shouldering heavy bags.
The HoverGlide uses bungee cords and pulleys to cushion downward jerks felt when heavy backpacks bounce. The result is a bag that appears to levitate while its carrier hikes, runs or climbs.
Although yet to go on sale -- a Kickstarter campaign by manufacturer Lightning Packs launches in September 2018 -- the backpack is already causing a stir, likely appealing to travelers who yearn for the simplicity of strapping on their luggage, but loathe the pain it can bring.

The pack is the brainchild of Lawrence Rome, a physiologist at the University of Pennsylvania, who has specialized in the movement of fish. Rome initially worked on a concept that tried to harness backpack movement to generate electricity. While waiting for potential military procurement, he transformed his idea into the HoverGlide.
Rome says his creation can cut the risk of spinal injury by drastically reducing the downward force created when moving with a pack. Each step can make a load feel nearly a third heavier, straining muscles and joints with every jolt.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/hoverglide-floating-backpack/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNNi&utm_content=2018-08-24T13:29:25

https://www.hot-newtech.com/hoverglide/