San Antonio

TexasHooch

Looks like toro has taken the lead. What’s the vibe like there? I like the wine list and menu, my wife just wants to have a couple cocktails and have a good time. Looks like both can be accomplished 

Going to tonight and I will report back.

Been to the one up north on a Sat night and it was pretty happening. Dancers and music.

Cured from a week and a half ago:

Apple Jalapeno Pork Rillettes (in the jar), Aged Coppa, Duck Breast Ham, Medwurst Salami, Cotechino and Keystone Cheese. Served with two types of mustard, two kinds of pickles, apple butter (really good with the rilettes), flat bread, sliced fruit and microgreens2cdf25c7ded023c1b198e762584e68f7.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Cured from a week and a half ago:

Apple Jalapeno Pork Rillettes (in the jar), Aged Coppa, Duck Breast Ham, Medwurst Salami, Cotechino and Keystone Cheese. Served with two types of mustard, two kinds of pickles, apple butter (really good with the rilettes), flat bread, sliced fruit and microgreens

Spoiler

2cdf25c7ded023c1b198e762584e68f7.jpg

what was your favorite think on the plate?

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

what was your favorite think on the plate?

the stuff in the middle which iirc is the medwurst salami (i think the near stuff is the cotechino, though that may be the other way around). 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

Dough is the right place if you want pizza.
Cured at The Pearl is excellent.

If I was gonna make sweet love to a pizza, it would be the Pork Love pizza at Dough. Would go balls deep....

Toro- we had a good time last night. Large group with several things being passed around. Good vibe. There is an underground bar to grab a cocktail. We had someone that lives in Spain with us so she took care of all the ordering. Scallops were very good. There was something that was like a fried potato dumpling thing that was good. There was something like some steak bites that I would pass on. We had many bottles of the Finca Nueva wines that were on their feature card and they were delicious. Ended getting a Porron and shooting wine out of it. Good times.

Of the two different paella’s we had, the one that had the pasta was far superior to the Mariner one we had.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Had it last night and it was pretty darn good.

I really, really enjoy http://www.cappysrestaurant.com/ on Broadway in Alamo Heights. It’s consistently very good.

2M blows Smoke Shack out of the water but Smoke Shack ain't bad.

If you're into driving a little bit, Bohanon's other restaurant out in Boerne (Peggy's on the Green) is awesome. It's in an old hitching post hotel with a bad-ass bar. They do a great Sunday Brunch too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

2M blows Smoke Shack out of the water but Smoke Shack ain't bad.

If you're into driving a little bit, Bohanon's other restaurant out in Boerne (Peggy's on the Green) is awesome. It's in an old hitching post hotel with a bad-ass bar. They do a great Sunday Brunch too.

if you want BBQ, 2M is far far far and away the best in SA. 

go with a group, order a little of everything and enjoy it!

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

2M Smokehouse. It's not in the best area of town. But it's fantastic.

Not too far off from 410 on the southeast side.  Yea, it's kind of rough part of town,  but not so much off the beaten path if I  decide  to take 410  when coming up from Corpus.  I might give it a try sometime soon.  

48 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not too far off from 410 on the southeast side.  Yea, it's kind of rough part of town,  but not so much off the beaten path if I  decide  to take 410  when coming up from Corpus.  I might give it a try sometime soon.  

it is easily one of my favorites BBQ spots, period. 

The brisket is amazing, obviously. the Oaxaca and serrano sausage is probably my favorite in the world right now, the turkey is great...best beans in BBQ if you ask me...and pay the $5 for tortillas. 

100% worth a trip. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

it is easily one of my favorites BBQ spots, period. 

The brisket is amazing, obviously. the Oaxaca and serrano sausage is probably my favorite in the world right now, the turkey is great...best beans in BBQ if you ask me...and pay the $5 for tortillas. 

100% worth a trip. 

Their brisket is fantastic as are all the other smoked meats, but I'm not wild about the oaxaca / serrano sausage or the sides. I generally prefer more traditional fare when it comes to BBQ. But yes on the tortillas.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:47 AM, South Austin said:

I've always had a good -- but not great -- meal at Biga.  When I stayed near the Riverwalk on one of my last work trips, I ate at Bella and though it was better than Biga. 

Had a really good meal at Maverick last year.  Sat at the bar and had the mixed grill.

Bella is my favorite place to go in SA, we make it a priority to go there when we are in town.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, justhookit said:

Had it last night and it was pretty darn good.

I really, really enjoy http://www.cappysrestaurant.com/ on Broadway in Alamo Heights. It’s consistently very good.

cappy's?  holy shit, that place has been there forever.  he had a few other restaurants in the industry if i'm not mistaken.  my wife and I would go for drinks there but never ate.  I always liked the place. 

First of all, let me say that we did some touristy shit all day... but having never been to San Antonio, I am fully fucking impressed. Spent some time on the river walk and had a couple cocktails at some bar that had a jazz band outside,  then walked over to Toro. My wife and I Can’t shut up about what an awesome time we had, especially at toro. Thanks all for the recs. 

If it werent a billion miles from our families I’m pretty sure I’d want to move here.

• Like 3

Pig Pen on Broadway is a good spot to drink and eat some laid back BBQ. There are BBQ dishes, but the BBQ isn't standalone, such as the brisket grilled cheese. The bloody Mary comes with a slab of brisket on it. It's just enough BBQ to cure a craving.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:03 PM, midtown said:

People can joke all they want but there is not a better fast food BBQ/Chicken/Pie/Tea restaurant in the world. 

Don't bother with the BBQ. But Bill Millers fried chicken/fries/tea is more than acceptable. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Sounds like not too far from aggy...San Antonio?   Planning ahead..son graduates in december.

15 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Sounds like not too far from aggy...San Antonio?   Planning ahead..son graduates in december.

Congrats to your son.   Mine graduates soon from UTSA  just up the loop too.  

No it's not that far away and it beats having to go into downtown or the 410/I-10 areas to battle traffic to find a good place eat.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

2 days in San Antonio. Gf has never been here, what would be on your 48 hour to do list? 

My typical SA trip consists of a downtown debauch. 

Hit up The Esquire to get things started. 

If you’re gonna so Mexican food downtown, my fave two options are Mexican Manhattan (old-school) or Rosario’s (more modern and lively). Acenar is on a lot of people’s lists as well, and a bit more upscale  

Wanna hide out for a quiet drink on a comfy couch?  414 Bar in the Sheraton Gunter.

Want an upscale bar/lounge, hit Bohannon’s Bar.  Stay for dinner if you feel like high-rollin’.  

Irish Pub?  Waxy’s.  Also Durty Nelly’s, but only after you’re drunk and feeling rowdy.

If your gf likes to shop, go ahead and do the Rivercenter mall.  Wander Alamo Plaza and take in the shops, the kitschy shit, and a few of the bars (or even the Alamo) if you wanna play tourist.   

Your chick want some spa time?  Mokara.  

Coffee in the morning?  Sip (that’s their name), right across the street from a fuckin’ Starbucks...

Just one man’s preferences here.....

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

2 days in San Antonio. Gf has never been here, what would be on your 48 hour to do list? 

La Villita / King William neighborhood. Ton of restaurants and bars. Feast and Battalion. Very much your vibe. Liberty bar sucks ass, avoid. Lot of outdoor patio bar options. I would look for a BnB or small hotel in this neighborhood 

pearl complex - lot of eating / drinking options. Mix between downtown / Southtown vibe. It’s becoming more and more touristy every year 

blue star complex - brewery / bars. Right by king William. Very much your scene

mi Tierra is you’ve never been, good margaritas and bakery. It’s a land mark. Avoid pico de Gallo restaurant . In general avoid downtown, except for a lunch spot or two. Market square is fun to walk around / get out of the heat. The tripa taco stand outside of mi Tierra is damn good. $8 tacos lulz 

alamo - #1 tourist spot in the state and its free. 

taco haven on pressa for breakfast, this is a must. Houston chronicle food writer said this might be the best breakfast in Texas.

hit me up for other places. I love SAi would move there tomorrow for the right pay / job 

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

La Villita / King William neighborhood. Ton of restaurants and bars. Feast and Battalion. Very much your vibe. Liberty bar sucks ass, avoid. Lot of outdoor patio bar options. I would look for a BnB or small hotel in this neighborhood 

pearl complex - lot of eating / drinking options. Mix between downtown / Southtown vibe. It’s becoming more and more touristy every year 

blue star complex - brewery / bars. Right by king William. Very much your scene

mi Tierra is you’ve never been, good margaritas and bakery. It’s a land mark. Avoid pico de Gallo restaurant . In general avoid downtown, except for a lunch spot or two

alamo - #1 tourist spot in the state and its free. 

taco haven on pressa for breakfast, this is a must. Houston chronicle food writer said this might be the best breakfast in Texas.

hit me up for other places. I love SAi would move there tomorrow for the right pay / job 

These are excellent recommendations for anyone wanting to avoid Riverwalk area or seek a bit of everything downtown. My post was definitely River-centric. Kudos!

• Like 1