San Antonio

TexasHooch

Yesterday hit PigPen at the rec of @Clintonaldo. Pretty good spot with a bomb ass hangover brunch buffet, then took the gf to the tea gardens down the street and walked around for a bit. Pretty good spot. She is back in Dallas and I think I am staying till Thursday now so time to mingle with the local cholas.

Had a hell of a day today. Started drinking around 4 at the hotel bar. Still here and just a guy who let me know how much he loves this town that I need to go get the ribs at twin peaks.... Is this code for some weird San Antonio sex thing?

17 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Had a hell of a day today. Started drinking around 4 at the hotel bar. Still here and just a guy who let me know how much he loves this town that I need to go get the ribs at twin peaks.... Is this code for some weird San Antonio sex thing?

Don't worry about it and take a sniff of this soaked rag for a bit. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, Ag with kids said:

Jacala off of West Ave for good Tex Mex.

Tip Top Cafe for CFS

My Dad grew up in SA (went to the old and new Edison HS).  So, when we moved there we used to go to that area a lot.

Deweese's Tip Top sucks now. The food has gone to shit. I'm fairly certain they have new management and while the recipes seem similar, the food tastes like they tried to save a few bucks and go with cheaper/worse ingredients. The last couple of times I've been there, it has been barely edible. There used to be a 20 minute wait to get a table, now they are only half full at lunch time and have plenty of parking. The old blue hair waitresses are all gone, too. It's not even close to the classic place it used to be.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, HenryJames said:

That’s a great area. Original Donut Shop ftw.

Only in San Antonio does it seem completely normal that the best thing at a donut shop is the breakfast tacos. But yeah, that place is great.

I've lived in San Antonio for 2.5 years now. We only eat out on special occasions. Here are the best meals I've had: 

Southerleigh - upscale southern and brew

Botika - asian fusion

Restaurant Gwendolyn (special occasions) 

Nonna Osteria - great italian 

Smashin Crab - weirdly amazing seafood for SA

Silo Prime 

We spend most of our time traipsing about the trails training for ultramarathons. 

Friedrich Park (5.5 mile loop) 

Eisenhower Park (4.5 mile loop that can be made into a 5.5) 

Leon Creek Greenway

Government Canyon State Natural Area

Hill Country State Natural Area only an hour away 

Canyon Lake

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Deweese's Tip Top sucks now. The food has gone to shit. I'm fairly certain they have new management and while the recipes seem similar, the food tastes like they tried to save a few bucks and go with cheaper/worse ingredients. The last couple of times I've been there, it has been barely edible. There used to be a 20 minute wait to get a table, now they are only half full at lunch time and have plenty of parking. The old blue hair waitresses are all gone, too. It's not even close to the classic place it used to be.

Only in San Antonio does it seem completely normal that the best thing at a donut shop is the breakfast tacos. But yeah, that place is great.

That really sucks to hear about Tip Top.  I've got lots of memories as a kid chowing down there...

If you see a creepy middle-aged guy riding his bike and ogling the UTSA coeds in their jogging outfits, stop and say hi.  I'm actually pretty nice.

Does that trail system connect to OP schnabel? That’s my hood. Just moved back in the spring and there’s a smashin crab super close by. Still need to try.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:28 PM, miguelito said:

If you see a creepy middle-aged guy riding his bike and ogling the UTSA coeds in their jogging outfits, stop and say hi.  I'm actually pretty nice.

My mom lives in the utsa / la Cantera area and good lord that school has some serious talent !

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 11/4/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The key is to have the donut in line as you wait to your breakfast tacos.

• 2 weeks later...