San Antonio

TexasHooch

The sea world area ( 151 ) is a shit show of chain restaurants.   Rudy's is the best bbq over there.  There's the before mentioned Palenque, mama Margie's and Las palapas which are average fast Tex Mex.  Go a little farther to wapo taco. It's a small place, probably can't take the entire reunion there.

BTW, if you're willing to travel a little outside town, La Cabana in Lakehills is also pretty good.  We always eat there when I'm visiting my Dad (he lives there by Medina Lake).

I'm usually not a fan of Mexican rice...I douse it with salsa to make it better.  But, I really like theirs.  No need to doctor it up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Headed to San Antonio for a few days with the wife in a few weeks. She’s from San Antonio but we’ve lost touch with the town a bit. Thoughts on where to stay and what to do? We are empty nesters.

Stat at the Emma if you can.   The Pearl and all its shops, bars and restaurants are at our front door and also easy Uber into downtown.  Check out the Havana hotel and Ocho for dinner and the bar downstairs. 

If you want something more resortish and out of town the La Cantera resort is great and Andrew Weisman's Signature is on property. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Headed to San Antonio for a few days with the wife in a few weeks. She’s from San Antonio but we’ve lost touch with the town a bit. Thoughts on where to stay and what to do? We are empty nesters.

depends on what you're after.  if you want to relax and get away.  la canterra is an excellent choice.  there is fine dining on the property, and floores, hills and dales, as well as many many other great dining and nightlife options right on 1604 off blanco, stone oak,

if you want the real san Antonio experience stay on the river walk.  lots of great hotel options, dining, art, and nightlife.  i cant vouch for the Havana inn, but i can vouch for the martinis on their balcony.  i cant vouch for the hotel Valencia, but i can vouch for the v bar and acenar, biga, and other great foodie joints in the downtown area.

Thanks for input. Have decided to stay on the riverwalk since it’s close in any direction to areas we want to go. Will hit south and Pearl, of course Alamo for the fifth time. Used to go to Barn Door a lot but heard it’s slipped the last few years.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Thanks for input. Have decided to stay on the riverwalk since it’s close in any direction to areas we want to go. Will hit south and Pearl, of course Alamo for the fifth time. Used to go to Barn Door a lot but heard it’s slipped the last few years.

La Fonda on Main is still amazing

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Been going there for 30 plus years.

Food was as good as ever.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, thrillhammer said:

la canterra is an excellent choice.  there is fine dining on the property, and floores, hills and dales, as well as many many other great dining and nightlife options

Depending on how old you are, Hills and Dale's might not be the same.  I hadn't been in like 7 years but went a couple months ago.  The old dusty dive/biker bar is no more.  It's the bar you'd expect being across from a college campus.  The long wall of taps is down to like 10 including 5 versions of lite beer.  There's a DJ stand.  It's douchy now.  

Depending on how old you are, Hills and Dale's might not be the same.  I hadn't been in like 7 years but went a couple months ago.  The old dusty dive/biker bar is no more.  It's the bar you'd expect being across from a college campus.  The long wall of taps is down to like 10 including 5 versions of lite beer.  There's a DJ stand.  It's douchy now.  

Yeah it’s a straight up college bar now. It’s pretty great on sundays cause they throw a Sunday funday party and it’s packed with talent.

Yeah it’s a straight up college bar now. It’s pretty great on sundays cause they throw a Sunday funday party and it’s packed with talent.

Hits close to home, had two carne g tacos last week, very good 

I’d kill every one of you for some good carne guisada. I’ve tried to find some good carne guisada here in the Houston area, but it’s always made more like a soup with big chunks of tomatoes and potatoes. It’s tasty, but it’s not carne guisada like I’m used to.

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’d kill every one of you for some good carne guisada. I’ve tried to find some good carne guisada here in the Houston area, but it’s always made more like a soup with big chunks of tomatoes and potatoes. It’s tasty, but it’s not carne guisada like I’m used to.

Hits close to home, had a carne g taco this am from Villa Arcos. Very legit, is not bad at all. Call in your order, 1hr+ wait on weekends 

On 2/7/2020 at 4:34 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

thanks for the tip.  i moved away in 2011 so did not know that.  i always enjoy an outdoor beer setting and their selection was one of the best in town at that time.

A chill outdoor beer spot in the same area...  The patio at freetail is nice, but it's less nice since they built apartments about 30 yards away. Busted sandal opened a tap room in old Town helotes. plus there helotes country club for that old timer feel. Might try the food truck park in Leon springs.  It gets crowded on nice beer drinking weekends though.  In all honesty, Boerne has like 4 brewpubs and a bunch of other corny shit on their main strip.  Like a mini Fredericksburg.  

The Busted sandal tap and wine 101 share the same common area. BS has about 6 bar seats inside and 4 picnic benches but sitting out under the Oaks is the best. The waiters from wine 101 will bring menus and serve food.

We've already been there 3 times since opening.