San Antonio

TexasHooch

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm taking some customers to SA for the Commodity Classic at the end of the month. What kinda off-campus activities does this hip town offer equally-hip northern midwesterners? Golf? Where? What else?

Myself I intend to gorge myself on Whataburger.

As much as I avoid it as a resident, tourists shit themselves over the River Walk - having dinner by the water, being able to carry open alcohol containers, and generally taking in the scene. My favorite section of the river is on the north end at the Pearl Brewery. Restaurant suggestions in that area: Southerleigh, Botika, or take in a jazz show and dinner/drinks at Jazz Texas. 

If you want to spring for a unique interior Mexican tasting menu, look up Mixtli, but you prepay when you make your reservations. We have reservations for the end of the month for the current menu: 

The Valley of Mexico is a highlands plateau in central Mexico roughly coterminous with present-day Mexico City and the eastern half of the State of Mexico. Surrounded by mountains and volcanoes, the Valley of Mexico was a center for several pre-Columbian civilizations, including Teotihuacan, the Toltec, and the Aztec. The Valley of Mexico is located in the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt. The valley contains most of the Mexico City Metropolitan Area, as well as parts of the State of MexicoHidalgoTlaxcala and Puebla. The gastronomy in that very specific region of the country is ancient and new, playing with the remoteness of the wild and the progressive evolution of food in the Aztec capital.

BREAD SERVICE
Corn Madeleines, Acocil Butter
RADISH CEVICHE
Carrot Jam, Green Mango
TLACOYO
Escamoles, Epazote, Dry Chiles
TOSTADA DE NOPAL
Avocado, Prawns, Serrano
MOLE DE HUITLACOCHE
Confit Pork Rib, Huitlacoche Mole of Tlaxcala
TACOS DE CANASTA
Potato, Requesón, Mixe
MOLLETE DE HONGOS
Bolillo, Black Beans, Mushrooms
TLAPIQUE
Trout, Winter Squash, Salsa Tatemada
INTERMEZZO
DESSERT
Carrot in soil

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I'm taking some customers to SA for the Commodity Classic at the end of the month. What kinda off-campus activities does this hip town offer equally-hip northern midwesterners? Golf? Where? What else?

Myself I intend to gorge myself on Whataburger.

Hill Country Golf Club 1A, La Cantera 1B, cant go wrong either course. Hill Country is usually dead and has 27 holes, many times we've been the only group on the back side. Both course have great bars/grills. 

midwesterners - mi tierra for sure (dont over think this, the place is the perfect tourist trap / show). big margaritas, lot of colors, mariachis and probably the best tex mex they've ever had. there are plenty of better places, but mi tierra is the name place for out of state gringos. then you can walk around market square to buy some trinkets. then they get to go home and brag how it was just like being in Mexico !!!

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Canyon Springs and TPC San Antonio too. San Antonio is an awesome golf city. 

Good additions.

Yeah, back in the late '90s into the 2000s SA really ramped up golf course-wise.

And if you get tired of the courses already named or the respectable munis around the city, there's a lot of courses close around in the Hill Country to go swing the sticks.  I don't remember the name, but there's one out in the Gray Forrest area that is a lot of fun and well taken care of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

La Contrera is awesome.  Stayed there last summer; going back again this summer.  Slightly off topic, but I still can't believe I saw a real porcupine walking from the parking lot to the resort.  I honestly had no idea they existed in the wild in Texas.

If you live in the Hill Country and own a dog, you are aware of their existence.  Fuckers...

eed312a7af80140a57a8c9894c21a866.jpg

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

There you go.

ETA

I know you can sedate the dog and pull all those quills, but is he realistically a gonner? Infection and shock in general?

Some definitely have to be euthanized.  Just google "dog porcupine quills" and look at some of the pics.  That one I put up is mild compared to some.

It's absolutely heartbreaking and why I have no qualms serving up a lead salad to any porcupine I see.

Edited by Cajun

Lat22 and I used to play Pecan Valley fairly often.  They had a dude riding around in a cart keeping everybody moving, running a stop watch on ya if he thought you were slow.  His cart said, "Ambassador" on it.

By the 15th or 16th hole dude would come rollin' up, and with the beer and heat doin' its thing, one of us would tip our cap and say, "Hello Ambassador.  How are things going in Iraq?"

Dude's expression never changed and he didn't offer any response.  He looked to be about 147 yrs old too, so we nicknamed him The Reaper and had a little jam box with Blue Oyster Cult teed up for when we'd see him heading toward us.

Took our minds off the 3 or 4 snowmen on our cards.  Good times!

/csb

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Lat22 and I used to play Pecan Valley fairly often.  They had a dude riding around in a cart keeping everybody moving, running a stop watch on ya if he thought you were slow.  His cart said, "Ambassador" on it.

By the 15th or 16th hole dude would come rollin' up, and with the beer and heat doin' its thing, one of us would tip our cap and say, "Hello Ambassador.  How are things going in Iraq?"

Dude's expression never changed and he didn't offer any response.  He looked to be about 147 yrs old too, so we nicknamed him The Reaper and had a little jam box with Blue Oyster Cult teed up for when we'd see him heading toward us.

Took our minds off the 3 or 4 snowmen on our cards.  Good times!

/csb

hahahahaha, i know exactly that you're talking about. played that course several times. 

hill country is the best value in town. it's never over crowded and great bar/grill. 

• Like 1

Putt, Lat22 and I have lost more balls at HCH than all the other courses in SA combined.  

Best moment on that course was we were on Hole 4 (iirc).  Fairly short par 4 but it's uphill.  Summer and the grass is cooked and the ground is hard and each one of us caught lightning in a bottle off the tee hitting a little too close for comfort for the guys up near the green ahead of us.  

We immediately sped up there to apologize.  Somethin' somethin "Man, we're not that good" somethin' somethin' "We are really sorry!"

It's three African American gentlemen and the tall one walks a little closer to us and says, "Man, those were some shiny drives!"

It was George Gervin and he said it in that, "One thing I could do was finga roll" voice.  We were like little girls after seeing the Biebs after that.

Just one of those moments.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

I’m not sure about Mi Tierra anymore. The last time I ate there it was horrible. It’s been close to 6 years, but I couldn’t have been more disappointed. Now, as Putt said, it will probably still be the best Mexican food they’ve ever had but you should take them to some actually good places instead. Just my opinion.

22 hours ago, Cajun said:

Some definitely have to be euthanized.  Just google "dog porcupine quills" and look at some of the pics.  That one I put up is mild compared to some.

It's absolutely heartbreaking and why I have no qualms serving up a lead salad to any porcupine I see.

Are you suggesting that the porcupines sought out the dogs to quill them? 

21 hours ago, Cajun said:

Putt, Lat22 and I have lost more balls at HCH than all the other courses in SA combined.  

Best moment on that course was we were on Hole 4 (iirc).  Fairly short par 4 but it's uphill.  Summer and the grass is cooked and the ground is hard and each one of us caught lightning in a bottle off the tee hitting a little too close for comfort for the guys up near the green ahead of us.  

We immediately sped up there to apologize.  Somethin' somethin "Man, we're not that good" somethin' somethin' "We are really sorry!"

It's three African American gentlemen and the tall one walks a little closer to us and says, "Man, those were some shiny drives!"

It was George Gervin and he said it in that, "One thing I could do was finga roll" voice.  We were like little girls after seeing the Biebs after that.

Just one of those moments.

Yep.  Those were the salad days for sure. I couldn't hit a ball that far today if my life depended on it.  I don't even know how we drove home after those rounds.  There was that one short haired blonde cart girl......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m not sure about Mi Tierra anymore. The last time I ate there it was horrible. It’s been close to 6 years, but I couldn’t have been more disappointed. Now, as Putt said, it will probably still be the best Mexican food they’ve ever had but you should take them to some actually good places instead. Just my opinion.

Been over 10 years for me and it had gone downhill some.  I remember taking my wife's Michigan family there and loving it, this was back in the early to mid 80s.  May need to check out this Rosario's when we're down there in April. 

On 2/10/2020 at 3:15 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Rudy’s BBQ too, perfect for midwestern gringos 

Rudy's is too good for Parliament. IIRC he asked about BBQ recs near downtown Dallas and ignored all suggestions to go to Pecan Lodge and wound up at Dickey's instead.

A chill outdoor beer spot in the same area...  The patio at freetail is nice, but it's less nice since they built apartments about 30 yards away. Busted sandal opened a tap room in old Town helotes. plus there helotes country club for that old timer feel. Might try the food truck park in Leon springs.  It gets crowded on nice beer drinking weekends though.  In all honesty, Boerne has like 4 brewpubs and a bunch of other corny shit on their main strip.  Like a mini Fredericksburg.  

The Busted sandal tap and wine 101 share the same common area. BS has about 6 bar seats inside and 4 picnic benches but sitting out under the Oaks is the best. The waiters from wine 101 will bring menus and serve food.

We've already been there 3 times since opening.

Yeah but then you have to drink busted sandal.
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:44 PM, Eggo said:

Are you suggesting that the porcupines sought out the dogs to quill them? 

No, I’m suggesting that anything even hints at a chance of doing that to my dog, irrespective of “fault”, wins a bullet festival.

mmkay?

On 2/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, Hate said:

Mi Tierra used to be decent to above average, barely.

It has never been incredible.

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

No, I’m suggesting that anything even hints at a chance of doing that to my dog, irrespective of “fault”, wins a bullet festival.

mmkay?

"Lead salad"

"Bullet festival"

You sound tough. Maybe you should invest in a leash. 

15 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Mi Tierra used to be decent to above average, barely.

It has never been incredible.

Back when I was frequenting it after Spurs game in the late 80's, the beef enchiladas and 32 ounce beers were tough to beat.  It may also have been about the only place open after midnight downtown.

29 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Not what it was is the word I’m getting from reliable intelligence.

I went over Xmas and thought it was still pretty fucking good. Much bigger seating area as well. Chris's sister opened Diana's Burgers and it's supposed to be excellent too.

No one has ever gone to Mi Tierra for the food.  If you are coming from Austin or Dallas its going to be what you are used to if from anywhere else in the US its fantastic but for SA its average at best.  Its all about the atmosphere.  

I have not been to the new Madrids but its on my list to try in the next few month. 

On Mi Ti’s, you are spot on.

Chris Madrid’s, from what I’m hearing, has lost a couple of steps.  A relative of Chris’s opened another burger joint (name escapes me) and it is supposedly much better.  I’ll try and research that name for this discussion.  Intel I’m getting on Madrid’s is from CM die hards who have been going weekly for decades.  They don’t say it’s bad, just that it’s nowhere close to what it was.

Edited by Cajun
I see CMan already answered the question.

Goddamn SA used to have two legit burger places in Little Hips and Chris Madrid's.  Those places were out fucking standing.  Has anyone been to Mexican Manhattan lately?  I used to love that place when I worked at the HEB corporate headquarters.  They had some of the best salsa I've ever had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

On Mi Ti’s, you are spot on.

Chris Madrid’s, from what I’m hearing, has lost a couple of steps.  A relative of Chris’s opened another burger joint (name escapes me) and it is supposedly much better.  I’ll try and research that name for this discussion.  Intel I’m getting on Madrid’s is from CM die hards who have been going weekly for decades.  They don’t say it’s bad, just that it’s nowhere close to what it was.

It's in my post just above. Chris's sister Diana opened Diana's Burgers. I hear it's great but it's not in a very good area of town, I don't think.

My experience with CM over the holidays that it was pretty much as I remembered. Bear in mind I make it maybe once a year. The expanded outdoor seating is a plus. It was fucking packed the night we went the week after Xmas.