San Antonio

TexasHooch

On 2/15/2020 at 12:16 AM, Hate said:

Goddamn SA used to have two legit burger places in Little Hips and Chris Madrid's.  Those places were out fucking standing.  Has anyone been to Mexican Manhattan lately?  I used to love that place when I worked at the HEB corporate headquarters.  They had some of the best salsa I've ever had. 

Love me some MM. Their brand of old-school Tex-Mex never disappoints, although I did enjoy me some Jacala yesterday. It had been a while. 

Edited by After irth

To dispel the myth... Chris Madrid's food is exactly the same. It's the same as it was before it burned down. It was the same when they had the food truck in the parking lot. It's as good as ever.

The new layout is better. They still didn't exactly fix the area where you order, but it's better than it was before. Outdoor area is much improved.

• Like 4

Going on a date in the greater SA area this weekend and have mostly narrowed it down - any help narrowing it down or other places I should consider from this list?

• Peggy's on the Green (Boerne)
  • Battalion
  • Range
  • Southerleigh 

Will be coming into town from Hill Country...so going past Boerne, which is why Peggy's is on the list.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, midtown said:

Chester's and Longhorn Cafe are absolutely legit.. Some place in town was just named Texas best burger. Can't remember where.

And Gino's deli I think is the highest rated yelp restaurant in Texas and something like 4th in the US.

the cove maybe?  fatboy also gets a lot of raves.

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

Going on a date in the greater SA area this weekend and have mostly narrowed it down - any help narrowing it down or other places I should consider from this list?

• Battalion
  • Range
  • Southerleigh 

Will be coming into town from Hill Country...so going past Boerne, which is why Peggy's is on the list.

so you're bringing in this date from the hill country or are you trying to pick a place to meet?

wife

going into either Boerne or SA for the date, sorry for confusion 

I'm a fan of Southerleigh. The trout throats are off the menu and delicious.

There are lots bars for before and after dinner. Try the wine bar and down on Grayson esp if the weather is nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

There are lots bars for before and after dinner. Try the wine bar and down on Grayson esp if the weather is nice.

probably going to hit up that wine bar before or after, heard nice things

5 minutes ago, midtown said:

i lived in braun station so that side of town.  i had dates with my wife at peggy's and it's a nice spot, as is fralo's and scenic loop, but nothing matches the cuisine of greater san antonio.  southerleigh would be my pick of the restaurants you listed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

• Battalion
  • Range
  • Southerleigh 

I live down the street from Battalion and have been several times. It's good, but I would still go to Southerleigh. Drinks at Sternewirth beforehand. 

• Like 1

Went to Toro Kitchen and Bar this past summer. It was walking distance from my hotel. Absolutely phenomenal. Tapas and paella were killer, the flamenco band was about as good as the Gypsy Kings. Can't recommend that place enough. Went to the one on Commerce, close to downtown. Pulpo in olive oil and roasted garlic, and their mini carpaccios are some of the best things I've ever ate.

http://torokitchenandbar.com/

CHIEF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I live down the street from Battalion and have been several times. It's good, but I would still go to Southerleigh. Drinks at Sternewirth beforehand. 

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Went to Toro Kitchen and Bar this past summer. It was walking distance from my hotel. Absolutely phenomenal. Tapas and paella were killer, the flamenco band was about as good as the Gypsy Kings. Can't recommend that place enough. Went to the one on Commerce, close to downtown. Pulpo in olive oil and roasted garlic, and their mini carpaccios are some of the best things I've ever ate.

http://torokitchenandbar.com/

CHIEF

47 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Peggy’s, it’s very good 

Thank y'all

Toro was on the list but would rather do tapas with a group vs just a date...Probably saving Peggy's for another day

Southerleigh is where I was leaning towards anyway and the feedback from here and some other folks I know has been excellent! 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Thank y'all

Toro was on the list but would rather do tapas with a group vs just a date...Probably saving Peggy's for another day

Southerleigh is where I was leaning towards anyway and the feedback from here and some other folks I know has been excellent! 

You're welcome. Happy to help a gentleman be a good husband.

Pics of wife? 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 4:43 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Hits close to home, had two carne g tacos last week, very good 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Hits close to home, had a carne g taco this am from Villa Arcos. Very legit, is not bad at all. Call in your order, 1hr+ wait on weekends 

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hits close to home, when in SA I pass that place many times. How’s stone werks ?

How big is your home? 

• Like 2

Definitely make it a point to grab a drink at the bar at Hotel Emma. You can get to Southerleigh through the back hallway without walking around the front...Dont tell the wife and just walk her back that way... For some reason my last date thought I was 007 for knowing that short cut

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

Definitely make it a point to grab a drink at the bar at Hotel Emma. You can get to Southerleigh through the back hallway without walking around the front...Dont tell the wife and just walk her back that way... For some reason my last date thought I was 007 for knowing that short cut

Your date sounds smart.

, although I did enjoy me some Jacala yesterday. It had been a while. 

Like a local, dodging traffic on West. Also La Fogata. When did Rosario's become good? I really miss living in SA, been gone now for just over 10 years, was there for 16.

My kids went to Keystone/ SA Academy so I spent many many evenings on the patio at La Fonda, still one of my favorite places. Back in my early Rackspace days I'd go there with one of the founders and he'd drink club soda with 6 sweet and lows, not sure why I remember that detail.

I'm sure there are 200 restaurants that have opened since I left that are better than my remembered favorites.

Mi Tierra is best at 3 am when your drunk as hell, btw.

Rudy Aue and his sister Betty were my next door neighbors in Leon Springs, his dad sold the original Rudy's gas station to the folks who have grown it to what it is now. His ancestors bought 6,000 acres (what is now basically the whole IH 10 W @1604 corridor) in 1855 for $5 an acre.

He sold Steeple Brook to the developer, part of the deal is they gave him a prime lot and a house plus cash.

I miss that place.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

To dispel the myth... Chris Madrid's food is exactly the same. It's the same as it was before it burned down. It was the same when they had the food truck in the parking lot. It's as good as ever.

The new layout is better. They still didn't exactly fix the area where you order, but it's better than it was before. Outdoor area is much improved.

This was my experience as well.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, NoName said:

• Battalion
  • Range
  • Southerleigh 

My wife and I love Peggy's on the Green. We got married at Tapatio Springs three springs ago and had dinner with our immediate families there on Thursday before the wedding, then went back over with friends for Sunday brunch after the wedding. This past Xmas, we headed out to fuck around in Boerne and had lunch at Peggy's. It's fantastic. But ...

... we love The Emma as well though I've not eaten at any of the restaurants there. I hear good things about Supper and Southerleigh. At any rate, tough choice. I know nothing about Battalion or Range.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 4:56 PM, BearSchlong said:

Like a local, dodging traffic on West. Also La Fogata. When did Rosario's become good? I really miss living in SA, been gone now for just over 10 years, was there for 16.

My kids went to Keystone/ SA Academy so I spent many many evenings on the patio at La Fonda, still one of my favorite places. Back in my early Rackspace days I'd go there with one of the founders and he'd drink club soda with 6 sweet and lows, not sure why I remember that detail.

I'm sure there are 200 restaurants that have opened since I left that are better than my remembered favorites.

Mi Tierra is best at 3 am when your drunk as hell, btw.

Rudy Aue and his sister Betty were my next door neighbors in Leon Springs, his dad sold the original Rudy's gas station to the folks who have grown it to what it is now. His ancestors bought 6,000 acres (what is now basically the whole IH 10 W @1604 corridor) in 1855 for $5 an acre.

He sold Steeple Brook to the developer, part of the deal is they gave him a prime lot and a house plus cash.

I miss that place.

Your memories are awesome, but we have experienced SA in different times. Almost like you’re speaking a foreign language. 

Cheers to our mutual love for this town, though. 

On 2/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, Gen. Applewhite said:

I prefer Supper and Cured over Southerleigh. 

Cured is off the hook in my opinion. Really good cocktails too. But I fucking love meat and cheese.

Rosario's has always seemed just entirely overrated to me. Good margaritas, but their menu couldn't be more generic.

Edited by Thetexashammer

20 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Rosario's has always seemed just entirely overrated to me.

Its good but not a world beater.   La Gloria is stupid expensive for what is largely common food.  Los Barios has lost a step since the owner was murdered by that meth addict neighbor. 

20 hours ago, After irth said:

his dad sold the original Rudy's gas station to the folks who have grown it to what it is now

Pretty crazy to think that original Rudys and the original Macaroni Grill where right next to each other in little Leon Springs and both have grown to become pretty large chains. 

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Here’s a quick hitter list of what we did:

1. Hotel Emma for drinks - very solid great atmosphere.

2. Food Hall - for burgers and other stuff, with a few beers. Great atmosphere

3. Jazz - didn’t go because it was a little early, but very cool club.

4. Mexican Manhattan - I am an extremely annoying TexMex aficionado and this was solid inexpensive texmex. I’d been in the past and still liked it.

5. Boudros - very good seafood. Very good.

6. Mission tour - nice, especially if you are a Texan. Missions built before the US was the US.

7. Buckhorn saloon - I’m a hunter and fascinated by taxidermy so this was awesome for us.

8. Spanish Governors House - a little lame

9. King Williams Street - chicks dig it, so just hang in there with the walking tour.

10. Pearl District - very cool. Must go and drink there. Went to the farmers market and there was a lot going on.

11. Blue Star Arts area - lame.

Nice trip.

• Like 5

Went to Southerleigh and the bar next door...had great service and food there, just wish we had ordered more oysters. Table of 3 next to us ordered 28 first round and even 30 second round and I was envious.

Will 100% be back, they sold out of snapper throats but waiter gave us some tips (call ahead to ask/request it) - they evidently order about 100 lbs of it a day and get about 20.

Thanks for the recs!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, Parliament said:

I'm taking some customers to SA for the Commodity Classic at the end of the month. What kinda off-campus activities does this hip town offer equally-hip northern midwesterners? Golf? Where? What else?

Myself I intend to gorge myself on Whataburger.

Back to my conundrum.  2M Smokehouse would be my 1st choice, but they aren't open for dinner.  Gotta be dinner.

I want something no more than 20 Uber minutes from downtown.  

Rudy's looks like a chain.  No go.

Augie's website looks like it's a tourist trap.

The County Line.  It's on the River Walk.  Deal-killer.

Bill Miller BBQ.  Good Lord, how many locations do they have?  No go.

Alamo BBQ Co.  Close to downtown, open evenings.  Your thoughts?

Smoke BBQ Restaurant.  Close to downtown, open evenings, looks like a sports bar

South BBQ.  Not open evenings.

Regarding the, "Good enough for the Midwesterners to go home and brag about," comment.  That's kinda true.  I have customers and spouses with me.  If I pick a place that's too cool, it'll turn some of the sticks in the mud.  Gotta be kinda plain.

That said, I'm on my own Saturday, and 2M is my goal.

Thanks for your help with all of this.

19 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Back to my conundrum.  2M Smokehouse would be my 1st choice, but they aren't open for dinner.  Gotta be dinner.

if you are spending corporate money you could have them cater something...

are you dead set on BBQ?

here is what BBQsnob has in his SA BBQ guide: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/san-antonio-bbq-guide/

Alamo BBQ – It’s basically a second location of Two Bros. BBQ Market. They even share a website. Peach-glazed baby backs are a feature instead of the cherry-glazed of Two Bros., but you gotta come here for green chile brisket queso.

Smoke – “Best BBQ in San Antonio” is their presumptuous tagline, and like just about anyone else who claims it, they’re not. But there is some good stuff on the expansive menu at both the downtown and Stone Oak locations. Try the pig tails, the “Abe Froman” beef sausage, or the BLT&E with pork belly and a fried egg.

don't shit on Rudys - is it as good at 2M or other craft BBQ places? no way. but with your restrictions it should 100% be on your list to be considered. it is worlds better than places like Bill Millers. 

Smoke Shack isn't a terrible choice and isn't too far north of Downtown on Broadway:

Smoke Shack BBQ – This classic barbecue menu includes a wide array of smoked meats. Go for the tender lean brisket, sweet pork ribs, and crisp, yet juicy smoked chicken. The homemade sausage is a standout too, and a great version of banana pudding is the perfect way to top it off.

B&D sounds like it may work but call to verify BBQ hours?

B&D Ice House –  There’s a similar menu and the same owners, but in a hipper location in Southtown. Grab a Bruno sandwich (brisket, mac & cheese, and slaw), a beer, and a seat at one of the picnic tables on the generous patio.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I want something no more than 20 Uber minutes from downtown.  

Rudy's looks like a chain.  No go.

Augie's website looks like it's a tourist trap.

The County Line.  It's on the River Walk.  Deal-killer.

Bill Miller BBQ.  Good Lord, how many locations do they have?  No go.

Alamo BBQ Co.  Close to downtown, open evenings.  Your thoughts?

Smoke BBQ Restaurant.  Close to downtown, open evenings, looks like a sports bar

South BBQ.  Not open evenings.

Regarding the, "Good enough for the Midwesterners to go home and brag about," comment.  That's kinda true.  I have customers and spouses with me.  If I pick a place that's too cool, it'll turn some of the sticks in the mud.  Gotta be kinda plain.

That said, I'm on my own Saturday, and 2M is my goal.

Thanks for your help with all of this.

Smoke is lame. The food is fine, but it's not the true Texas bbq experience that you desire -- expensive and pretentious.

Augie's isn't a tourist trap. It's not fantastic, but it's not a tourist trap. I mean, you could do worse than Augie's in a pinch.

Alamo BBQ is the same guys who did Two Bros over on West Avenue. I never thought Two Bros was very good. I haven't tried Alamo BBQ because of it. Those sumbitches do shit like putting apricots in the beans. I mean, fuck all that.

Go to Smokeshack on Broadway across from the Witte Museum. It's a notch below 2M but definitely several notches above Bill Miller and the other ones I listed above. You can also go next door to the Pig Pen for a drink if the weather is good.

• Like 1