San Antonio

TexasHooch

Smoke Shack is pretty good but nowhere near 2M's level. Anything related to Two Brothers would be hard pass for me. Was not a fan when my parents picked up food from there a few years ago. Rudy's is a chain but it's damn solid IMO. The original location is out I-10, probably a little further than 20 minutes away but definitely doable. But I know you -- you're gonna wind up at Bill Miller's like you did when you were in Dallas and ignored everybody's advice and wound up at Dickey's in downtown. Right? 🤣

Honestly, I'd ditch the BBQ and either take them to the Pearl or get some bad ass Tex-Mex. That's what the town is known for.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, HenryJames said:

Better Mexican pastries and bread. Lorraine has better French pastries and bread.

I'm a 300 lb connoisseur of breakfast pastries, so I feel my opinion should count for more. While the tequila-almond croissant at Panaderia is excellent, the raspberry kouign-amann at Bakery Lorraine blows it out of the water. 

One of my coworkers has a daughter that is a student at CIA and currently works at BL. On several occasions over the last month she has brought massive boxes of day old pastries and cookies to the office and I have gorged appropriately.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, CHIEF said:

Went to Toro Kitchen and Bar this past summer. It was walking distance from my hotel. Absolutely phenomenal. Tapas and paella were killer, the flamenco band was about as good as the Gypsy Kings. Can't recommend that place enough. Went to the one on Commerce, close to downtown. Pulpo in olive oil and roasted garlic, and their mini carpaccios are some of the best things I've ever ate.

http://torokitchenandbar.com/

CHIEF

That was my experience as well... wife and I spent late afternoon/evening getting drinks around the river walk and walked over. Awesome, fun vibe with the band, and the food was great. Made for a super fun date for us. 

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I won't come at you, but you might not be optimizing your BM tacos. The correct option is bean/bacon/hash browns/cheese.

ive tried the all in one and i prefer two diff styles. that place has very under rated salsa. it taste very home made

Edited by tx 3 putt

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

ed073163086c01ee5b655554ba3138fe.gif

Edit to say I’ve never been to Taco Palenque but there is no way it’s better than Palapas 🙂

They’re two different establishments. Palapas is a quick service location while Palenque is a sit down restaurant. Both are good, but it’s like comparing Five Guys to Chris Madrid’s. 

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

They’re two different establishments. Palapas is a quick service location while Palenque is a sit down restaurant. Both are good, but it’s like comparing Five Guys to Chris Madrid’s. 

Taco Palenque is fast food place. There might be a place called Palenque though that is not.

There is Taco Palenque and there is Palenque Grill in La Canterra. Grill is owned by taco Palenque. They are both great. As po mentioned taco is fast food. Palenque Grill is sit down and more interior.

Palenque is expanding massively in SA. There are probably 10 here now and more going up

We need to differentiate here between Las Palapas, Taco Pelenque and Pelenque Grill. 

I've been to Pelenque Grill out in the Rim a few times before going to a movie. Are there other locations? I thought it was pretty good. Not the greatest and I don't think they enter the breakfast taco conversation. So I'm leaving them out of it for now.

I consider Taco Pelenque more fast food QSR than sit down restaurant per se. Taco Pelenque is like Taco Cabana in layout, but with much better food. And don't get me wrong, I'm a Taco C guy going back to the original location on Hildebrand and San Pedro. But Taco Cabana is crap these days and has been for more than a decade. Pelenque is really solid. I'm a big fan of the Pirata (bean and cheese with beef fajita) taco. Pros: fast drive thru, salsa bar, solid food. Cons: for breakfast tacos, I don't think their eggs are that great. For some reason, these high throughput drive thru joints can't get the eggs right.

Las Palapas is an old school SA place, going back to the original location on West Avenue near Churchill High School that moved into the old Winchell's Donuts location. At some point, they expanded and built multiple locations. Palapas is more of a sit down restaurant than Taco Pelenque is. They have wait staff vs. Taco Pelenque where you just order at the counter. As noted previously, back in the day Palapas was one of the few places to eat late night and I've stumbled through there after 2 am more times than I care to (or actually can) remember. The Okie and Macho burritos, I consider to be seminal culinary accomplishments in San Antonio Tex-mex . Of course, you have to grade that on a curve in consideration of 2am drunk and stoned. I think their food has gone downhill over the years. Pros: late night drunken hijinks nostalgia. Cons: food is kinda meh plus closed Sunday for family and worship except for the Godless location out on I-10.

With regard to either of them having the best breakfast tacos in SA... like anybody could ever know that. I can probably rattle 20 joints off the top of my head that I would rather pick up breakfast tacos from than either one of them. I hit up Pelenque mostly out of convenience / speed.

• Like 1

We need to differentiate here between Las Palapas, Taco Pelenque and Pelenque Grill. 
I've been to Pelenque Grill out in the Rim a few times before going to a movie. Are there other locations? I thought it was pretty good. Not the greatest and I don't think they enter the breakfast taco conversation. So I'm leaving them out of it for now.
I consider Taco Pelenque more fast food QSR than sit down restaurant per se. Taco Pelenque is like Taco Cabana in layout, but with much better food. And don't get me wrong, I'm a Taco C guy going back to the original location on Hildebrand and San Pedro. But Taco Cabana is crap these days and has been for more than a decade. Pelenque is really solid. I'm a big fan of the Pirata (bean and cheese with beef fajita) taco. Pros: fast drive thru, salsa bar, solid food. Cons: for breakfast tacos, I don't think their eggs are that great. For some reason, these high throughput drive thru joints can't get the eggs right.
Las Palapas is an old school SA place, going back to the original location on West Avenue near Churchill High School that moved into the old Winchell's Donuts location. At some point, they expanded and built multiple locations. Palapas is more of a sit down restaurant than Taco Pelenque is. They have wait staff vs. Taco Pelenque where you just order at the counter. As noted previously, back in the day Palapas was one of the few places to eat late night and I've stumbled through there after 2 am more times than I care to (or actually can) remember. The Okie and Macho burritos, I consider to be seminal culinary accomplishments in San Antonio Tex-mex . Of course, you have to grade that on a curve in consideration of 2am drunk and stoned. I think their food has gone downhill over the years. Pros: late night drunken hijinks nostalgia. Cons: food is kinda meh plus closed Sunday for family and worship except for the Godless location out on I-10.
With regard to either of them having the best breakfast tacos in SA... like anybody could ever know that. I can probably rattle 20 joints off the top of my head that I would rather pick up breakfast tacos from than either one of them. I hit up Pelenque mostly out of convenience / speed.

I’ve probably been to Las Palapas 200 times — only went in and ate there twice. Always drive-thru. LP’s food doesn’t translate very well to seated dining IMO and I do not know how to explain that.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I was there 6 mos ago for a wedding dinner.   It was good to very good but there are better places but the atmosphere cant be beat I ate everything on my plate twice.   Mi Tierra is the equivalent of the Salt Lick for BBQ.  

Not a bad analogy, but I have a difficult time eating much of anything on my plate at Salt Lick.  Somebody needs to explain to them how collagen breakdown works.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

That’s the Palapas I grew up going to. There was an old waitress that was the Palapas version of “Flo” from Alice. She always knew what we wanted depending on the time of day or night we were there.

The new Las Palapas by my house is all fancy with a full bar area and everything.
I don’t hate their breakfast tacos but I don’t make any effort to go there either. For the same drive, I can hit up Camillas for a better taco or several local places if I want to drive a little further.

I do love Taco Palenque for lunch but their breakfast is only average.

Places that are persona non grata:

Taco Cabana
Bill Miller
Smokey Moe’s
Los Arcos
Los Bailito’s
Mama Margies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original Palapas on West Ave moved several years ago. They took over an abandoned El Pollo Loco right across from Churchill. It was never quite the same after that, but I’d love to have one here in The Woodlands so I could get and Okie Carne Guisada every once in a while. For being such a big city and having plenty of Mexicans there is a dearth of good Mexican places here. Everything I’ve found has been adequate.

I might've mentioned it further up this very thread but my dad and I picked up breakfast tacos from Tacos n' Salsa on 1604 (just east of I-10) up the way from their house while we were there over Xmas and they were pretty goddamn good. Anybody else been there?