San Antonio

TexasHooch

Sitting in the SA airport, about to fly north.

We hit Smoke BBQ restaurant Wednesday night, as it was the only place open by the time we got around. Food was meh.

We hit a local bar on the walk back. Full of locals doing karaoke. Groovy place.

Whataburger is as good as ever. Not sure what a better fast food hamburger would taste like. Bonus points for using authentic styrofoam cups.

Whataburger ice > Sonic Ice. Don't @ me.

Rosario's still rocks. The sopapias were crispier than they do in Amarillo, nttawwt.

We did not make it to 2M Smokehouse, as we've been busy every noon. A friend DID make it, and he says it's fabulous.

Commodity Classic is back in SA next year. Same time, same place, same past yankees.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I might've mentioned it further up this very thread but my dad and I picked up breakfast tacos from Tacos n' Salsa on 1604 (just east of I-10) up the way from their house while we were there over Xmas and they were pretty goddamn good. Anybody else been there?

Several people have mentioned the place and I hear it is supposed to be good. I don't make it out to that area very often but will give it a try next time.

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

I might've mentioned it further up this very thread but my dad and I picked up breakfast tacos from Tacos n' Salsa on 1604 (just east of I-10) up the way from their house while we were there over Xmas and they were pretty goddamn good. Anybody else been there?

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Several people have mentioned the place and I hear it is supposed to be good. I don't make it out to that area very often but will give it a try next time.

It’s very good. I know the owner’s son. The owner is a cool guy too, he works there every Saturday and calls me “Machacado Man” because I always order the machacado plate. Apparently the owner used to be business partners with the guy that now owns Pepe’s Tacos n salsa on Jones Maltsberger. They had a big disagreement, and Pepe left and started a new restaurant called “Pepe’s Tacos n Salsa” specifically to fuck with the Tacos N Salsa owner. The menus only have minor differences. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Boy had a baseball game in SA today. Grabbed lunch after at Taquitos West Avenue.

Tripas, barbacoa, lengua, and because it’s the weekend, al pastor. Two of each. Glorious. Sorry, Austin. You’ve got some decent tacos, but come on. This is where it’s at.

f47679188e6548ac4e52db738b217226.jpg

I’m always disappointed in how poorly SA tacos stack up with the RGV ones. I can say that place gives the top RGV places a run for their money. 

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Best place in SA for CFS?  TIA. 

Mama's on Nacogdoches was pretty good last I was there.

After a quick google, it looks like it might be closed.  Temporarily , they say.  They all say that though.

Edited by Lat22

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Ate at Mixtli on Friday. World class interior Mexican dining experience. The restaurant only seats 12 and only offers the tasting menu. Rotating menu every season. We'll absolutely be back. 

20200228_174841.jpg

20200228_175823.jpg

20200228_180650.jpg

20200228_181512.jpg

20200228_182633.jpg

20200228_183826.jpg

20200228_184930.jpg

20200228_190157.jpg

20200228_191209.jpg

spacer.png

Staying up north off of 1604 near 281 for a couple of nights...appreciate any restaurant recommendations in that area, kid friendly unfortunately.  Tex Mex recs, whatever..hell, I'd be fine with a good beer restaurant/tap room with food.  I think Freetail is out that way...

1 hour ago, ballrific said:

Staying up north off of 1604 near 281 for a couple of nights...appreciate any restaurant recommendations in that area, kid friendly unfortunately.  Tex Mex recs, whatever..hell, I'd be fine with a good beer restaurant/tap room with food.  I think Freetail is out that way...

La Hacienda de Los Barrios.  It has a nice patio and playground by SA standards and it's right by you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballrific said:

Big’z Burger Joint is about midway between 1604 and I-10 (about 10 minutes west of 1604/281), but they have great burgers and a big lawn area for the kids to run around.

FYI, Freetail is a bit further west of Big’z on 1604 and is solid as well. 

3 hours ago, 3shot said:

La Hacienda de Los Barrios.  It has a nice patio and playground by SA standards and it's right by you.

I love Los Barrios -- the OG spot and the Hacienda. My folks have gotten to be very good friends with Diana over the years -- they're terrific.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Aldaco’s on Stone Oak Parkway has great puffy tacos and good drinks. They have a great porch with a big lawn for kids to play on while you can sit and drink and take in the nice view.

Here is the big green lawn I talked about at Aldaco's. The kids all play tag and hide & seek while you and the Mrs. can sit back and drink margaritas. 

bf1a20da0064b5288ddbc9972ce0f647b0636e38

El Mirasol
Longhorn Cafe
Taco Tex (breakfast and lunch)

10 hours ago, ballrific said:

That's by my office. I like Jerusalem Grill and my kids will shit a brick when they plop down one of those massive saddle blanket lavash 30 seconds after we sit down. There is nothing else particularly kid-friendly about it aside from the massive carb hit they get. Blanco BBQ has average food but a playground outside. Longhorn Cafe for a solid burger, CFS sandwich, tots and rings. 

For breakfast stop at the Las Palapas at 1604 and 281. The kids will love their huge pancakes and you and the Mrs can get breakfast tacos or huevos rancheros....and a Bloody Mary.

Stopped at Las Palapas for the first time this morning. Pretty damn good.

IMG_5388.jpg
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

That's by my office. I like Jerusalem Grill and my kids will shit a brick when they plop down one of those massive saddle blanket lavash 30 seconds after we sit down. There is nothing else particularly kid-friendly about it aside from the massive carb hit they get. Blanco BBQ has average food but a playground outside. Longhorn Cafe for a solid burger, CFS sandwich, tots and rings. 

Just need to correct this. Blanco BBQ is terrible. I work near it and it should be avoided at all costs. 

• Like 1

Cancelled trip to SA over Spring break. Fair or unfair, SA has gotten the reputation as the yucky Texas Coronavirus city recently
Not a single case.. Or am I missing the sarcasm?
More like the yucky Texas Budlightvirus city.
Meller lite

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Cancelled trip to SA over Spring break. Fair or unfair, SA has gotten the reputation as the yucky Texas Coronavirus city recently

We may never get rid of all our coronavirus, so best bet is to stay away. 

You realize those are all cases from a cruise line that are quarantined at Lackland, right?
  • Like 1