San Antonio

TexasHooch

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/29/2020 at 11:08 PM, Brisketexan said:

Boy had a baseball game in SA today. Grabbed lunch after at Taquitos West Avenue.

Tripas, barbacoa, lengua, and because it’s the weekend, al pastor. Two of each. Glorious. Sorry, Austin. You’ve got some decent tacos, but come on. This is where it’s at.

f47679188e6548ac4e52db738b217226.jpg

love that place.

Haven’t terrorized SA since January 2018, and THAT agenda involved my parents’ 50th, so the wife (no pics) and I are happy to come back and raise some hell our way. 

Anniversary trip for us. Like most people, we haven’t left our own town in 3 months, but we thought we would give it a shot. 

When I saw that Wade Bowen is playing Freiheit on the 13th in an acoustic, table-purchase-only performance, I set wheels in motion. Glad I did, because it is sold out  

So...for the 3 nights before the show, a room at The Gunter, a full Mokara spa day for my girl, Bohanan’s reservations, and whatever the hell else we can find that’s open. I might hit Jacala one last time before things change, and I’d love to hit Hogwild if they decide to reopen. Other than that, just gonna wing it and enjoy. 

I have a feeling we probably should’ve waited a few more weeks for such a trip, but night 4 in New Braunfels will be a great anniversary treat for my girl before heading home on the 14th. 

‘Rona and racism be damned. 300 mile journey starts Wednesday morn. I expect to be having something frosty in my hand at Mexican Manhattan and ordering lunch by 1pm. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, After irth said:

Haven’t terrorized SA since January 2018, and THAT agenda involved my parents’ 50th, so the wife (no pics) and I are happy to come back and raise some hell our way. 

Anniversary trip for us. Like most people, we haven’t left our own town in 3 months, but we thought we would give it a shot. 

When I saw that Wade Bowen is playing Freiheit on the 13th in an acoustic, table-purchase-only performance, I set wheels in motion. Glad I did, because it is sold out  

So...for the 3 nights before the show, a room at The Gunter, a full Mokara spa day for my girl, Bohanan’s reservations, and whatever the hell else we can find that’s open. I might hit Jacala one last time before things change, and I’d love to hit Hogwild if they decide to reopen. Other than that, just gonna wing it and enjoy. 

I have a feeling we probably should’ve waited a few more weeks for such a trip, but night 4 in New Braunfels will be a great anniversary treat for my girl before heading home on the 14th. 

‘Rona and racism be damned. 300 mile journey starts Wednesday morn. I expect to be having something frosty in my hand at Mexican Manhattan and ordering lunch by 1pm. 

Good luck. I know it’s not really the “in” place anymore but I still say you can’t beat a meal at Cappy’s. There will be a mix of older 09’ers and young people. It’s always been a good date place. You are a 10 minute Uber from there. In the shopping center next door there is a cool little bar whose Frenchish name escapes me. It’ll have a young crowd and good bartenders. Any server at Cappy’s will know the name and if they don’t just walk out of Cappy’s and go south.

edit - Bar du Mon Ami.

Edited by justhookit

On 6/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, justhookit said:

Good luck. I know it’s not really the “in” place anymore but I still say you can’t beat a meal at Cappy’s. There will be a mix of older 09’ers and young people. It’s always been a good date place. You are a 10 minute Uber from there. In the shopping center next door there is a cool little bar whose Frenchish name escapes me. It’ll have a young crowd and good bartenders. Any server at Cappy’s will know the name and if they don’t just walk out of Cappy’s and go south.

edit - Bar du Mon Ami.

I appreciate the rec, but Cappy’s won’t reopen for another week. Mon Ami is open, though. Cheers!

San Antonio trip is a mixed bag so far.  

After some misbehaving on Tuesday, and a very hungover 300-mile drive on Wednesday, we made it to the Sheraton Gunter by 2pm. There’s hardly anyone here, and, although we have a nice, quiet corner room, it’s not the usual suite we normally receive. I guess status means nothing this month. I suspect they have everyone on the same floor. Their Marketplace is closed, along with Bar 414, the only room service is breakfast, and they only do housekeeping by request and appointment thru the front desk. 

Everything around the Riverwalk is as clean as I’ve ever seen it. Beautiful. Ducks everywhere, tons of fish in the clear water. Maintenance crews patrolling regularly and tons of spot cleaning happening everywhere. The weather is amazing, and it’s a real treat to just stroll along without the usual crowds. Reminds me of just how unique this place is when it’s not jampacked with idiots. 

The majority of places are still closed, however, including just about all of our favorite places. Signs of remodeling everywhere, with some of the places scrambling to finish so they can reopen in the next week or two. I imagine by July, there will be a lot more activity going on. 

The places that are open are easy to spot because people are lounging in the shade, grabbing cocktails, and seem every bit as happy to just hang out as we are. We’re not the only tourists here, and we’ve exchanged a lot of knowing nods and hellos with a few couples who are doing the same thing we are: wandering aimlessly looking for places to spend money and misbehave. We took pics for a couple here for the first time from Illinois, and I thought that was encouraging from a tourism standpoint. They didn’t seem paranoid or overly cautious and just seemed damn glad to be here. I share their feeling. 

We’ve encountered some outright paranoia as well. Some store fronts, cafes, and restaurants will flat out refuse you if you come in the door without a mask. Wearing a mask in a bar/restaurant seems like the most ludicrous requirement ever, but...whatever. We’re in the city, our options are limited, and I’ve refrained from telling people to fuck off thus far. 

We had maragaritas by the patio at Agave and spent time socializing with the bartender who was all too happy to have customers to entertain. We wandered Rivercenter Mall, just because we were happy to be out hiking, which was extremely mellow. And basically did the entire horseshoe, twice, with more drinking involved to complete the 2nd lap  

Wife (no pics) has a spa day at Mokara, but their spa/sauna/shower areas are closed (even though they told her Monday they would be open), so she won’t be getting the full service pampering and amenities they normally offer, even though their fees will probably still be the same. Bait-and-switch bastards. We have reservations at Bohanan’s tonight, so, hopefully, dinner will be just fine. Will be purposely early so we can swill some brown liquor for a bit (I’m a Bourbon guy, wife is a Single-Malt snob)  

I was gonna hit Hogwild Records today, but they remain unapologetically closed to foot traffic by owners choice. Phone orders and shipping only.  That’s really fucking annoying  

Tomorrow might be kinda strange. Not really choices, but, rather a lack of options. I don’t really wanna pull the car out and invade the town, but we might hike/Uber to either Southtown or Pearl and see what’s going on there on a Friday. There’s no Riverwalk Jazz going on, our favorite Irish places are closed. Paesanos, Acenar, Mexican Manhattan, and Blanco Cafe are all open, as well as our favorite coffee bar, so we won’t starve. 

Ah well...it was supposed to be a mellow rejuvenating trip anyway, which I guess it is. And we still have an sold-out concert on Saturday to look forward to. 

As beautiful and tranquil as it all is, it’s somehow kinda sad too. Which is weird. I hate people using the term “the new normal”, but I’m beginning to get a taste of it, and understand why they use it now, even though they’re dumbasses. 

Like I said:  a mixed bag.

• Like 1

Pearl will be busy on a Friday evening. I do the drive-thru Farmer's Market that picks up on Friday afternoons, and the lawn has been packed with people not wearing masks and generally unfazed. 

Have a good time, but be respectful of people who aren't convinced that it's a hoax. Some of us have to live here. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:17 AM, Eggo said:

Pearl will be busy on a Friday evening. I do the drive-thru Farmer's Market that picks up on Friday afternoons, and the lawn has been packed with people not wearing masks and generally unfazed. 

Have a good time, but be respectful of people who aren't convinced that it's a hoax. Some of us have to live here. 

I wish I did. I miss it here. 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, After irth said:

and we’ve exchanged a lot of knowing nods and hellos with a few couples who are doing the same thing we are: wandering aimlessly looking for places to spend money and misbehave. We took pics for a couple here for the first time from Illinois

I thought this is where the story was going to go into an interesting direction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

My son (UT/McCombs 2020 Grad) just found out his job will be in San Antonio. He was hoping for Houston, but is getting his head wrapped around SA. We don't know much about where the younger generation lives. Where are the locations like the Heights and Midtown for 20 somethings in San Antonio? Pearl District? Southtown?

57 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

My son (UT/McCombs 2020 Grad) just found out his job will be in San Antonio. He was hoping for Houston, but is getting his head wrapped around SA. We don't know much about where the younger generation lives. Where are the locations like the Heights and Midtown for 20 somethings in San Antonio? Pearl District? Southtown?

The Pearl, Southtown or near the Rim/La Cantera are the areas where most 20 somethings live. Honestly though, none of them are close to the liveliness of Midtown, Montrose or the Heights in Houston.

• Like 2

He can live in the pearl area until he impregnates a moderately attractive female when he's around 30. At that point they'll move to either north up 281 or out to Boerne. 

Moderately attractive sums up San Antonio’s chicks perfectly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

San Antonio trip is a mixed bag so far.  
After some misbehaving on Tuesday, and a very hungover 300-mile drive on Wednesday, we made it to the Sheraton Gunter by 2pm. There’s hardly anyone here, and, although we have a nice, quiet corner room, it’s not the usual suite we normally receive. I guess status means nothing this month. I suspect they have everyone on the same floor. Their Marketplace is closed, along with Bar 414, the only room service is breakfast, and they only do housekeeping by request and appointment thru the front desk. 
Everything around the Riverwalk is as clean as I’ve ever seen it. Beautiful. Ducks everywhere, tons of fish in the clear water. Maintenance crews patrolling regularly and tons of spot cleaning happening everywhere. The weather is amazing, and it’s a real treat to just stroll along without the usual crowds. Reminds me of just how unique this place is when it’s not jampacked with idiots. 
The majority of places are still closed, however, including just about all of our favorite places. Signs of remodeling everywhere, with some of the places scrambling to finish so they can reopen in the next week or two. I imagine by July, there will be a lot more activity going on. 
The places that are open are easy to spot because people are lounging in the shade, grabbing cocktails, and seem every bit as happy to just hang out as we are. We’re not the only tourists here, and we’ve exchanged a lot of knowing nods and hellos with a few couples who are doing the same thing we are: wandering aimlessly looking for places to spend money and misbehave. We took pics for a couple here for the first time from Illinois, and I thought that was encouraging from a tourism standpoint. They didn’t seem paranoid or overly cautious and just seemed damn glad to be here. I share their feeling. 
We’ve encountered some outright paranoia as well. Some store fronts, cafes, and restaurants will flat out refuse you if you come in the door without a mask. Wearing a mask in a bar/restaurant seems like the most ludicrous requirement ever, but...whatever. We’re in the city, our options are limited, and I’ve refrained from telling people to fuck off thus far. 
We had maragaritas by the patio at Agave and spent time socializing with the bartender who was all too happy to have customers to entertain. We wandered Rivercenter Mall, just because we were happy to be out hiking, which was extremely mellow. And basically did the entire horseshoe, twice, with more drinking involved to complete the 2nd lap  
Wife (no pics) has a spa day at Mokara, but their spa/sauna/shower areas are closed (even though they told her Monday they would be open), so she won’t be getting the full service pampering and amenities they normally offer, even though their fees will probably still be the same. Bait-and-switch bastards. We have reservations at Bohanan’s tonight, so, hopefully, dinner will be just fine. Will be purposely early so we can swill some brown liquor for a bit (I’m a Bourbon guy, wife is a Single-Malt snob)  
I was gonna hit Hogwild Records today, but they remain unapologetically closed to foot traffic by owners choice. Phone orders and shipping only.  That’s really fucking annoying  
Tomorrow might be kinda strange. Not really choices, but, rather a lack of options. I don’t really wanna pull the car out and invade the town, but we might hike/Uber to either Southtown or Pearl and see what’s going on there on a Friday. There’s no Riverwalk Jazz going on, our favorite Irish places are closed. Paesanos, Acenar, Mexican Manhattan, and Blanco Cafe are all open, as well as our favorite coffee bar, so we won’t starve. 
Ah well...it was supposed to be a mellow rejuvenating trip anyway, which I guess it is. And we still have an sold-out concert on Saturday to look forward to. 
As beautiful and tranquil as it all is, it’s somehow kinda sad too. Which is weird. I hate people using the term “the new normal”, but I’m beginning to get a taste of it, and understand why they use it now, even though they’re dumbasses. 

Like I said:  a mixed bag.
This post aged well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just moved back here a couple of months ago.  Been 20 yrs since I've lived in the MexoPlex.

My, this place has changed.

Anyway, an old work buddy of mine invited me out for burgers at Southerleigh down in The Pearl (or whatever the fuck they call it).  Gotdamn that was what I call a burger.  Highly recommend...

116769655_10158314922857348_3656904422868441124_n.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So jealous. I hope to move back to SA in the near future. I may have been on track to make that happen but then the ronas ruined it. It’s been 25 years since I’ve lived there so I may not even recognize it much.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Just moved back here a couple of months ago.  Been 20 yrs since I've lived in the MexoPlex.

Anyway, an old work buddy of mine invited me out for burgers at Southerleigh down in The Pearl (or whatever the fuck they call it).  Gotdamn that was what I call a burger.  Highly recommend...

116769655_10158314922857348_3656904422868441124_n.jpg

Southerleigh is legit. The Pearl is a damn cool area

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

So jealous. I hope to move back to SA in the near future. I may have been on track to make that happen but then the ronas ruined it. It’s been 25 years since I’ve lived there so I may not even recognize it much.

There's actual shit to do here now Hate.

You'd dig it the most.

And at less than half the cost/hassle of ATX

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

It's a completely different city to what most knew from growing up here or even living here 10 years ago.  Shit even in the last 5.  We've lost some of the old guard places but not like other cities.   

3 hours ago, Hate said:

My gf is not from Texas and loves SA more than any other city in Texas. We have talked of moving as well if our jobs worked out. 

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

My gf is not from Texas and loves SA more than any other city in Texas. We have talked of moving as well if our jobs worked out. 

Fuck.  As if I'm not already a drunk.  If Zepol moves here I am screwed.  Dude is a bad/good influence depending on perspective. 

SA has arguably the best steak house, best burgers, top 2 mex, and best wings in the state.  

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
56 minutes ago, HenryJames said:
Best steak house? No.
Best burgers? No.
Top 2 Mex? Easily.
Best wings? No idea.

I'll fight you over Chris Madrid's.

CM's has lost a quarter of a step since Chris died, but still damned good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And I wasn't saying CM's was the best in the state (hell, it's not even the best in SA anymore), just that I have eaten pretty much all of the proverbial "best burgers" in Texas and SA does just fine up against all of them.  There's just not that much separation.

Edited by Cajun

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Fuck.  As if I'm not already a drunk.  If Zepol moves here I am screwed.  Dude is a bad/good influence depending on perspective. 

SA has arguably the best steak house, best burgers, top 2 mex, and best wings in the state.  

I would hear of these wings you speak of. 

15 hours ago, midtown said:

SA is very open to y’all’s ‘lifestyle’. You two can live together openly !

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, After irth said:

I would hear of these wings you speak of. 

Could be talking about Wayne’s Wings on the northeast side. I just had them for the first time yesterday and they’re pretty awesome. I’m a big Pluckers and Anchor Bar fan as well and Wayne’s beats both of them. 

Unfortunately, it’s not located in the best part of town and it got robbed at gunpoint last night...

• Hook 'Em 1