San Antonio

TexasHooch

RIP Windsor Park Mall and RIP to all the people who died there.

Windsor Park was my place when I was a kid. They had a Whataburger in the mall. They had a separate kids section with saddles at the tables instead of chairs. I loved that place.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

those are good tamales, but not wait in that line good 

It's brand new and there's been pent up anticipation.

That will die off at some point.  Moreover, it's not like SA is lacking in bad ass tamale joint options.  If Delia's only serves to open up shorter waits at some other places I'm still glad it's here.

52 minutes ago, Hate said:

Windsor Park was my place when I was a kid. They had a Whataburger in the mall. They had a separate kids section with saddles at the tables instead of chairs. I loved that place.

They also had a great Arcade room.  Can't remember the name, but it was right by the theater.  I couldn't get enough of that place and The Gold Mine over at North Star Mall.

Good times!

They also had a great Arcade room.  Can't remember the name, but it was right by the theater.  I couldn't get enough of that place and The Gold Mine over at North Star Mall.
Good times!

I’m pretty sure it was Aladdin’s Castle.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m pretty sure it was Aladdin’s Castle.

Wasn’t that the place on the NE corner of 410/I-10?  I know I wrecked a few go carts there.

never, ever thought I’d say this but I would much rather live in SA now than Austin. I hated San Antonio growing up in the 70’s and 80’s.  Loved Austin in the 90’s. I’ve done a complete reverse. To go visit for a few days? It’s still Austin. To live? It’s San Antonio and it’s not even close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Wasn’t that the place on the NE corner of 410/I-10?  I know I wrecked a few go carts there.

never, ever thought I’d say this but I would much rather live in SA now than Austin. I hated San Antonio growing up in the 70’s and 80’s.  Loved Austin in the 90’s. I’ve done a ccomplete reverse. To go visit for a few days? It’s still Austin. To live? It’s San Antonio and it’s not even close.

Malibu Grand Prix and Castle Golf and Games used to be right there.

I also dinged up a few of their rigs, but seent most of my time over at Castle on the vids and in the batting cages with my Mule Baseball Team Brethren.  That is when we weren't over at BatterUp across from the Rollercade on Basse and San Pedro.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Malibu Grand Prix and Castle Golf and Games used to be right there.

I also dinged up a few of their rigs, but seent most of my time over at Castle on the vids and in the batting cages with my Mule Baseball Team Brethren.  That is when we weren't over at BatterUp across from the Rollercade on Basse and San Pedro.

Can’t believe I forgot the Malibu name. Pretty sure you are a year or two or three older than me. You were friends with Paul S. And Stephen M. Right? I’m pretty positive I’ve seen those old hunting and fishing pictures. Paul is here in Port A of course. No idea what happened to Stephen. If you keep up with the goings on in AH, Dr. Wood committed suicide a few days ago. His son was  a friend of mine, and his daughter married an older friend of mine.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

never, ever thought I’d say this but I would much rather live in SA now than Austin. I hated San Antonio growing up in the 70’s and 80’s.  Loved Austin in the 90’s. I’ve done a complete reverse. To go visit for a few days? It’s still Austin. To live? It’s San Antonio and it’s not even close.

I grew up in SA in the late 70s-mid 80s, too.  I didn't mind SA...big town with small town feel almost.  But I don't even recognize it now.  My folks moved to Lakehills (Medina Lake) after I graduated HS (Madison).  So, I drove through Helotes a ton back then.  Holy Shit, I was just back there a few weeks ago and it was like I was in DFW.  Almost got completely turned around it was so different.

Still, it seems like a pretty cool place to live now.

I lived all over SA at one point or another. Live Oak, Alamo Heights, Boerne, and Bluffview (West Ave & Bitters). The only part that even resembles what I knew growing up is Alamo Heights. When I do move back it will take several months before I get used to it again.

And I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and loved living in SA. There was always something to do. The only thing that sucked was not having an amusement park, but Astroworld and Six Flags weren’t too far away.

Jr took a job in the Metroplex and is moving from SA, a little sad not to be able to go there and visit with him and fam, fun visits in SA.  He's never warmed up to SA, not sure why as that's where he did his post-grad schooling and met his wife there. 

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Sometimes they come with a combo plate at your favorite Tex Mex place, otherwise I agree with you.

BTW, I recommend Jacala off West Ave for Tex Mex...My dad grew up literally 3 blocks from there (off Santa Barbara).  It's been there since the 40s and is pretty damn good.  It's our go to when I meet my Dad in SA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Y'all bunch of rich fucks with your boats and arcades. My childhood consisted of my grandma taking us to brekenridge and Woodlawn lake with a bag of bread butts to feed the ducks.  Maybe we got to see an animal through the fence at the zoo.  

Is duck mole any good ?

On 8/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, Cajun said:

It's brand new and there's been pent up anticipation.

That will die off at some point.  Moreover, it's not like SA is lacking in bad ass tamale joint options.  If Delia's only serves to open up shorter waits at some other places I'm still glad it's here.

got a rec for your favorites in town? 

50 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

My god, why would they build the Alamo across from a Ripleys.

One of my favorite stories was CHIEF Jr. at about 4 years old asking me how they were able to have a battle in the middle of downtown SA. Had him believing that Santa Anna ate lunch at Hooter's on the Riverwalk everyday.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1