1000+ kids abused by Catholic priests

Ted Lange

Serious answer at to Ted's wondering about Q Anon and Pizzagate -- this shit way, way predates their conspiracy theories, and, even for them, it is pretty hard to wedge into these new crackpot narratives of theirs. Given that it took place in PA, I do believe there could be some overlap with Sandusky, but I would be more inclined to lend that credence if Sandusky were Catholic, and not a "devout Methodist," as he has been described. I think the Catholic kids would have been out of his network, so to speak. 

Are you really bitching and moaning that a topic which already has another thread on another forum isn't good enough for you?  Get your shinebox and make me a drink Isaac.  

No idea, what he’s saying, but this is the first time I’ve been accused of being a sock.

Overzealous atheist here.

But my zeal about atheism is directly proportional to theists' zeal about being theists and creating laws based on their version of morality, etc.  I think most atheists would be quieter about being atheists if theists would be quieter about being theists.  But I digress.

OP wants someone to call out the Catholic Church?  Here we go...

The Cathoic Church's handling of this crisis, and many like it, has been reprehensible and indefensible.  In fact, I can think of no surer refutation of the Catholic god than the actions of the Catholic Church over the past two thousand years.  It's not a stretch to say that the Catholic Church has killed more people than the Nazis.  I wish I'd been born a couple hundred years later when all theistic religions have been outgrown and left on the scrap heap of terrible ideas.  We'll be safer, more enlightened, and in every way better off as a species when we embrace science and reason instead of two-thousand-year-old books written by goat herders filled with demonstrably false bullshit.  And that day is coming.  

And yeah, fuck the Catholic Church on this issue in particular.  They're Penn State dressed up in robes.  My reaction to this is exactly the same as it would be to a similar scandal in Islam: a complete lack of surprise and a profound sadness.  

Hail Sagan.    

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Serious answer at to Ted's wondering about Q Anon and Pizzagate -- this shit way, way predates their conspiracy theories, and, even for them, it is pretty hard to wedge into these new crackpot narratives of theirs. Given that it took place in PA, I do believe there could be some overlap with Sandusky, but I would be more inclined to lend that credence if Sandusky were Catholic, and not a "devout Methodist," as he has been described. I think the Catholic kids would have been out of his network, so to speak. 

Joe Paterno was a Catholic from Brooklyn. I would bet the probability that he never heard of a priest diddling an altar boy was extremely low. 

This Pennsylvania case is just the latest one. There have been many, many cases all over the world involving thousands and thousands of children going back decades. And those are just the ones we know about.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

We'll be safer, more enlightened, and in every way better off as a species when we embrace science and reason instead of two-thousand-year-old books written by goat herders filled with demonstrably false bullshit. 

Image result for nacho libre gif I not to wrestle your neighbor

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Joe Paterno was a Catholic from Brooklyn. I would bet the probability that he never heard of a priest diddling an altar boy was extremely low. 

This Pennsylvania case is just the latest one. There have been many, many cases all over the world involving thousands and thousands of children going back decades. And those are just the ones we know about.

Yeah, I agree that Paterno had that missing cog in his brain I have been struggling to define for years now. How did Catholics put up with this shit for all these years? I ask as somebody who grew up Catholic, and I can't remember a time where I didn't know about some priest up to some shenanigans somewhere, and if I knew as a kid, I know my parents knew, and I know the priest's superiors knew, and yet it was just allowed to fucking go on and on and on. It's like there was a cog missing in their brains, causing their logic to just skip over certain rational thoughts, like "Oh, well Father Orlando diddled that kid last year when he was principal, maybe if we demote him to algebra teacher, he'll stop." Nope. Didn't work. "Maybe he needs to go to Dallas." Didn't work there either. "Let's try Tampa." Nope.

At this point I am just as mad at the parents as I am the Catholic hierarchy, because I know they knew, and they allowed themselves to be intimidated by those collared frauds. 

Which is all a tangent, but I see Paterno as very much a typical Catholic parent of his time. On some level, when I am feeling charitable, I think he would have heard that some 7 year old was blowing his buddy Gerry in the showers and he would have just have blown a fuse. Not in anger -- just that something so horrible couldn't register in his mind.

Or maybe nobody could bring themselves to tell Pope Paterno the details. They were like "Um, coach, Gerry was in the shower with this kid, and, um..."

"What?"

And then maybe the informant uses weasel words, like "Coach Sandusky was getting overfamilair in there," instead of laying out the facts -- that he was sticking his dick in the mouths of children. Maybe the informants didn't believe their own eyes, and then tried to take their own shocked psyches to go say what they had seen to one of the most towering icons in state history, and failed, because they were too astonished to believe what they had just seen, and then report it to an old Catholic with a perfect reputation who was on his way to statue status. 

Which is kinda like a saint, and the Catholics are all about saints. I am coming around to the idea that the culture of Catholicism might very well have contributed to Ped State, even if Sandusky was a "devout Methodist." The cover-up and failure to report are identical to RC disasters.  

Wait.  Fr. Orlando diddled a kid?  I lived with Strake graduates for five years, and they were, of course, life long catlicks.  Other than morbidly joking about such things, I don't think I ever heard any of them mention it.  Of course, there was kind of a 30-years-war going on between the prod roommates and the catlick ones, so maybe they didn't want to bring that up. 

@Ted Lange - Reading page one, you were adamant that there was cause/need for this subject to be discussed in the politics forum, that the thread in Daily Texan was not adequate for exploring whatever aspect of the issue you wanted to address.  But reading through the thread so far, I have not seen where you (or anyone) are discussing any aspect of the story that relates specifically to politics.  What is the political angle that you wished to discuss?

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

@Ted Lange - Reading page one, you were adamant that there was cause/need for this subject to be discussed in the politics forum, that the thread in Daily Texan was not adequate for exploring whatever aspect of the issue you wanted to address.  But reading through the thread so far, I have not seen where you (or anyone) are discussing any aspect of the story that relates specifically to politics.  What is the political angle that you wished to discuss?

Shit, I didn't intend to post in this thread, didn't realize which one I was in.  Still, I didn't know Orlando was implicated in anything.

On 8/19/2018 at 2:24 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was at a friends wedding and I grew up Presbyterian so the communion ritual is almost identical.  I forgot I was in a Catholic Church at the time and my best friend, who is very Catholic and he knows I’m not was behind me in line.  He didn’t say anything.  

So when I got to the priest and I didn’t know their little code word the priest asked me if I was Catholic.  I said no. The priest was visibly PISSED off.  He gave me a blessing.  Once we got back to our seats my Catholic friend Tony could not stop laughing at what just transpired.  And he was laughing at the reaction of the priest.

This is 100% bullshit. "Code word?"  What? 

On 8/19/2018 at 2:24 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So when I got to the priest and I didn’t know their little code word the priest asked me if I was Catholic.  I said no. The priest was visibly PISSED off.  

He was probably a Russian.  

22 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I wish I'd been born a couple hundred years later when all theistic religions have been outgrown and left on the scrap heap of terrible ideas... And that day is coming.  

A couple of hundred years? It doesn’t appear that your utopia of a theist-free world will materialize within the next one thousand years, if ever.  

The unaffiliated—defined as atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion—compromised 16.4% of the world 2010 population, but is projected to decline to 13.2 % by 2050. And by 2050 the unaffiliated are projected to grow their number by 99,190,000, while Christians and Muslims are projected to grow their number by 749,740,000 and 1,161,780,000, respectively. So for every 1 non-religious person added by 2050, there will be 19 theists added.  Link

1 hour ago, Cacti said:

A couple of hundred years? It doesn’t appear that your utopia of a theist-free world will materialize within the next one thousand years, if ever.  

The unaffiliated—defined as atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion—compromised 16.4% of the world 2010 population, but is projected to decline to 13.2 % by 2050. And by 2050 the unaffiliated are projected to grow their number by 99,190,000, while Christians and Muslims are projected to grow their number by 749,740,000 and 1,161,780,000, respectively. So for every 1 non-religious person added by 2050, there will be 19 theists added.  Link

Human animals are terrified creatures.

1 hour ago, Cacti said:

Raise children to believe they must be Christian or risk eternal damnation in hell. 

Punish apostasy of Islam by death. 

Yeah, religion isn’t going anywhere soon. The game is rigged.  

• 3 weeks later...

Fr. Orlando taught me Geometry.  I hated Geometry.  So, I wasn't a big Orlando fan.  But yeah, everyone knew about him even back then.

He never put a move on me.  I'm not very attractive, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

And I got the letter in the early 2000s, sent to all alumni who had been students while Orlando was around, telling us about the allegations that came out when he was in Tampa.  I remember showing the letter to my wife and laughing "no shit, we all knew about him," and that was that.

It was just a KNOWN part of the Catholic church, for decades.  And they got away with it because of human power dynamics.  Same reasons as Sandusky happened at Penn State, bonfire collapse happened at A&M, etc. etc. etc.

so the 15 year old made the honor roll?

For me, it is slightly different because the victim is a 15 year old as opposed to a 7-8-9 year old.  While not legally able to give consent, it's at least understandable within the sense of normal human decency that a 15 YO would want to bang a grown ass woman.

Then it also entails the responsibilities given by society to a teacher and to the priest/ clergy.  That's where the crimes are very similar in degree, IMHO.

Edited by slorch