Any Pixel 2 Users?

Seasick Sailor

Had one for about a week. 

I really wanted to escape apples ecosystem, but the Pixel 2 I had would do strange things....like I’d go mute on calls and nobody could hear me. I was in the middle of switching from T-Mobile to VZW to ATT so I returned it but I’ll probably give it another chance. 

Android is so much better when stock and not molested by Samsung, HTC, etc. I also really want that 845 chip and 5G capability....so I may hold off. 

Still on my iPhone 7.....but that will change this year. 

Edited by Handcruser

21 minutes ago, squanchy said:

they did recently make some changes to how spam calls were treated, but that sure seems like a step backwards.

are you running the latest (march) update?

yup.  sometimes it takes a while to dial a contact as well. 

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

yup.  sometimes it takes a while to dial a contact as well. 

tbh, i rarely use my "phone" for calls. mainly interwebs and txt. however, i've noticed issues in the past when i'm on wifi (and it tries to use wifi for calling).

are you on project fi or another carrier?

Wife and I have had Pixel 2's since November and they've been great. Hers had the issue where people couldn't hear her during phone calls, but she got a new one shipped out in a couple days and hasn't had a problem since.

We had Nexus 5's and 5X's before this. Can't go back to bloated software. Also liking Project Fi so far.

Oh yeah, the camera is awesome which was important since we have young kids and don't shell out thousands for regular photo sessions.

Edited by Okie State

13 minutes ago, DocZaius said:

I keep my phones as long as I can - I'm still using a Galaxy S5.  I would love a Pixel 2, but I have reservations about not being able to replace the battery and not being able to swamp in a bigger microSD card. 

Don't think you are ever going to see a removable battery or micro sd storage on a pixel phone. 

I didn't care for that either, but I have a 128GB Pixel 2 XL, and thus far storage has been a non-issue (I have over 50% free), especially with the unlimited Photos storage.  But I've got an unlimited data plan, so I don't worry about keeping stuff on the cloud instead of local.

Battery is still great (had it since launch day), but who knows if that will become a problem in a year.

2 hours ago, DocZaius said:

I keep my phones as long as I can - I'm still using a Galaxy S5.  I would love a Pixel 2, but I have reservations about not being able to replace the battery and not being able to swamp in a bigger microSD card. 

I moved from an s5 sport to first gen pixel on Google fi. Love the pixel and I had reservations that you as well as not being waterproof. But this thing is built way better, camera is awesome, battery is great and I have not had storage issues. Love not having Samsung bloatwarr and getting immediate updates

A few issues though-

Fi definitely isn't for everyone, it works for us currently

WiFi calling stopped working recently so I turned that off

This weekend my wife's phone will only work via speakerphone. Not sure what she did. Maybe a recent app?  I haven't troubleshooted it yet. 

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Anyone that switched from ios to Android care to comment on the difference between the two? I'm sure it'll take a little getting used to, but is one better than the other?

Really a matter of preference these days, both platforms are solid. Android gives you more customization if you want it. 

34 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Is there any appreciable difference in the amount of personal data that Google gets their hands on with a Pixel 2 versus a Samsung Galaxy S9? 

Assume roughly equivalent app usage, etc., between the two. 

Google is mining your browsing, emails, calls and texts on both. Some days it bothers me, most days it doesn't. Usually just when I start seeing adds that reference a word in a text I sent or something. I've cut permissions down as low as I can and still keep it functional.

I just assume Apple does the same.

59 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Since FB is in the news for stealing all of our data, you can see what google gets from you, especially pixel owners. Always knew what they got, but creepy to see, especially when you look at the maps, etc. They can map everyone of your days. 

myactivity.google.com

Yep, definitely turn off location history and location tracking. I'm sure they still do it but at least I feel better about it.