Euthanizing "Killer" Animals

TwiceHorn

Anyway, this topic arose in the context of mountain lions, but it is equally applicable to bears, wolves, coyotes (except coyotes aren't borderline endangered) and lions in Africa and tigers in India and wherever else they are.  Basically any predator that attacks a human on its own turf.

I posted on the dog thread about bobcats being established for several years with offspring in the Spring Creek greenbelt where Jack Carter Pool sits in the middle of residential Plano.  I had a pic sent to me of an immature bobcat standing atop a backyard fence. They prey on the abundant rabbits in and around the greenbelt but regularly roam into the docile neighborhoods and are spotted in yards and driveways (and on top of fences), and leave rabbit carcasses in yards.  I'd think small pets are at risk to the fence hopping cats but the neighborhood has never gotten riled up about it and just leaves them alone apparently.  In the wild in Plano.

A buddy of mine lives in Bonny Doon, sitting a few miles inland and 1400' above Santa Cruz.  There was concern that mountain lions were becoming endangered in the region due to human impact and a study was undertaken to get a count.  They ID'd 70 mountain lions in a 5 sq mi area. 😳Granted, it's not smack in the center of residential Plano, but 70 mountain lions thriving in that area is a little surprising.  Dismembered deer carcasses appear here and there, but no missing children, afaik

9 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I posted on the dog thread about bobcats being established for several years with offspring in the Spring Creek greenbelt where Jack Carter Pool sits in the middle of residential Plano.  I had a pic sent to me of an immature bobcat standing atop a backyard fence. They prey on the abundant rabbits in and around the greenbelt but regularly roam into the docile neighborhoods and are spotted in yards and driveways (and on top of fences), and leave rabbit carcasses in yards.  I'd think small pets are at risk to the fence hopping cats but the neighborhood has never gotten riled up about it and just leaves them alone apparently.  In the wild in Plano.

A buddy of mine lives in Bonny Doon, sitting a few miles inland and 1400' above Santa Cruz.  There was concern that mountain lions were becoming endangered in the region due to human impact and a study was undertaken to get a count.  They ID'd 70 mountain lions in a 5 sq mi area. 😳Granted, it's not smack in the center of residential Plano, but 70 mountain lions thriving in that area is a little surprising.  Dismembered deer carcasses appear here and there, but no missing children, afaik

Definitely seems like the bobcats are more discreet than coyotes.  Euthanasia of coyotes and bobcats is a little less disturbing because they aren't endangered.

I encountered a bobcat on a MTB trail right in the heart of the Addison apartment community.  It was cool as hell.  Katie Jackson Park for reference.

I don't think bobcats scare the shit out of people because they aren't that much bigger than housecats.  Then again, coyotes aren't bigger than a lot of dogs, but people tend to get agitated by coyote sightings in town.  Guess it's a function of how common they are.  And, as noted, they adapt or get pretty comfortable in town sometimes, and the "pack hunting" thing probably poses more danger to people and pets than a solitary bobcat.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Easy there, Hitler.

Ha,  not volunteering to reduce the population, or organizing a plan, but I think we’re far past our carrying capacity. I think humans are too greedy and too lazy to really change. In regards to killing “dangerous” animals I’m not sure it really matters because we’re going to wipe out most large predators and a large amount of animals on Earth, and likely ourselves, due to various factors.