Eagles Reclaim "Official" Best Selling Album Ever From Jacko

phdhorn

You might have been following this through the years; apparently Thriller and [Eagles] Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 have jockeyed back and forth for the better part of 30 years as the #1 selling album of all time.  Greatest Hits was certified as the #1 selling album of the 20th Century by RIAA om 2001, but with Jacko's death, sales for Thriller surged and that went back to the top for a few years (actually had see-sawed into the lead after various tallies since 2001).

But looks like the Eagles have a little more distance behind them now ahead of Thriller - again., according to RIAA.  Thriller had been "officially" in the lead until this RIAA tally of the Eagles' album, especially since Jackson's death, when it re-surged to the lead.

Interestingly, Hotel California is the #3 album of all time.

Sorry, Dude, but apparently a lot of people don't hate the fucking Eagles. (Me, I'm kind of in the middle, I can take 'em or leave 'em).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/08/20/eagles-michael-jackson-best-selling-album-thriller/1040092002/

Edited by phdhorn

Interesting.

RIAA's platinum status was once equivalent to selling one million albums or songs, but in 2013 the company began incorporating streaming from YouTube, Spotify and other digital music services to determine certification for albums and songs.

Now 1,500 streams of an album is equivalent to an album sale. Also, 10 song downloads  1 album sale.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-eagles-greatest-hits-album-beats-michael-jacksons-thriller-as-no-1-all-time-album-today/