Home Media Server

Currently I am using Plex on a a Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS718+ and 2 WD Red 6Ts. I have already upgraded to 6 gig of RAM, but I still have some audio lag issues on my wifi enable TV as well as occasionally when I stream to the web.

I am starting to think the problem may be my router/wifi, but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions? Is Plex just not as good as advertised or did I screw up my config somewhere? Should I jyst say fuck it and get this to solve some of my issues?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M12RE4A/?coliid=I1ZBW32KGCKI10&colid=2V8AQ68Z7OFXD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

61PDUaXrczL._SL1350_.jpg

Just now, TexasFootball18 said:

What kind of wifi enabled tv? I've seen some that are 'wifi enabled' 'smart TVs' but have huge problems with lag and slowness on anything but the most basic streaming.

Its a Samsung. Will have to check the model, but I might need to upgrade to something else. I am sure the wife will be thrilled. I get that the TV may also be part of the issue, but it does not explain the web browser issues.

Just now, Laxtonto said:

Its a Samsung. Will have to check the model, but I might need to upgrade to something else. I am sure the wife will be thrilled. I get that the TV may also be part of the issue, but it does not explain the web browser issues.

I'm not a huge fan of the nighthawk, it is overpriced for what it is and how it works. I've had really good success using the google wifi units that mesh and their phone UI is top of the line. It will help you ID exactly where any issue is if it is the router. I've used the google onhub as well as the newer google wifi models with excellent results. I also have used a TPLink Archer unit that does everything the nighthawk does at a fraction of the cost with better range. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TexasFootball18 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the nighthawk, it is overpriced for what it is and how it works. I've had really good success using the google wifi units that mesh and their phone UI is top of the line. It will help you ID exactly where any issue is if it is the router. I've used the google onhub as well as the newer google wifi models with excellent results. I also have used a TPLink Archer unit that does everything the nighthawk does at a fraction of the cost with better range. 

Thanks man. Ill look into those. Will update at some point.

I run plex on my desktop, with storage on a drobo, connecting to an Apple TV 4k via wifi and hooked up to Sony panel.  It's rock solid. You are running plex directly on the NAS?  That's probably your problem.  I attempted to run the Plex directly on the drobo and it was hit or miss. The processor just isnt strong enough, dont think RAM is going to fix that. Maybe try running the server from your desktop and see if that improves the problems. 

Edited by Anastasis

On 3/25/2018 at 11:22 PM, TexasFootball18 said:

I switched to a Google Wifi mesh with three units and the signal has been rock solid.  Phone interface is excellent.  I'm not a huge fan of the built in wifi on the smart TVs I've owned (Samsung among them).  I've got a mix of Fire TV boxes (second gen) and a PS4.  All do a great job.  All run Plex.

I had a very similar setup, and ultimately realized it was my NAS that was the issue. It just wasn't powerful enough to stream everything, plus do other tasks I had it doing. My solution was to use an old shitty laptop I had, and host Plex on that. The laptop was LANed directly to my router, and I just set the network share as the main library for Plex. Has worked great for me every since I made that change.