Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

24 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/watchpeoplesurvive/comments/kv8q3r/a_wild_boar_charge/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

translation:

"dad, you fucking asshole! i told you that i wanted to go fishing but you HAD to take me boar hunting!"

I'll bet he never felt more alive in those last few seconds.  X2 for the snake guys.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

Haven't been on this thread in ages, has this been posted?

My balls crawled back into my body watching this.

Girlfriend and I were supposed to take a bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara.

Watched 5 seconds of videos of buses making the trek between the two.

Immediately booked two puddle jumper round trip tix.

It was a few hundred bucks but I'd have paid thousands.  No way in hell am I experiencing that.

full send. oh sorry you broke your back.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/jet-ski-carnage-in-hawaii-leaves-surf-photographer-with-broken-back/news-story/80a5d6c2f98daadbfdac88587e0406c3

you can see these two massive waves building in the distance and they flee for their lives when the realize what's about to happen.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Legit holy shit. Is that normal for them to be so bunched up like that? Or was that a result of everyone panicking and trying their best not to get crushed?

That was prob the best spot to catch the wave sets. Waves were breaking there and they could ride the break to the optimal point outside the break as the wave progressed to shore. Those two waves were monsters which wasn’t normally how the sets were coming in. Caught everyone off guard. 

The drone pilot saw those waves building and knew what was about to happen. That’s why he flew the drone over to catch the chaos.

Edit: I was wrong. The surfers were in the upper left corner. That's where they caught the waves and road the left break (point of the surfer) and jumped off the wave around the area of the boat and jet skis. The jet skis would pick up the surfers in between breaks because they cannot paddle of of the break zone by themselves.

Those two massive waves broke where the other sets hadn't broke before. Caught all the support vehicles off guard.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That was prob the best spot to catch the wave sets. Waves were breaking there and they could ride the break to the optimal point outside the break as the wave progressed to shore. Those two waves were monsters which wasn’t normally how the sets were coming in. Caught everyone off guard. 

The drone pilot saw those waves building and knew what was about to happen. That’s why he flew the drone over to catch the chaos.

Edit: I was wrong. The surfers were in the upper left corner. That's where they caught the waves and road the left break (point of the surfer) and jumped off the wave around the area of the boat and jet skis. The jet skis would pick up the surfers in between breaks because they cannot paddle of of the break zone by themselves.

Those two massive waves broke where the other sets hadn't broke before. Caught all the support vehicles off guard.

Oooohhh. Thanks. That makes way more sense. I thought all the jet skis were out there riding the waves for fun. Didn't realize they were there for support.

6 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Legit holy shit. Is that normal for them to be so bunched up like that? Or was that a result of everyone panicking and trying their best not to get crushed?

Saturday saw a huge swell on the North Shore: 20-25 foot Hawaiian scale, which means 40+ foot faces. And even in those huge swells, there's always a few close out sets / rogue waves that outsize the rest of the day. These two waves look like that. The skis are there as support for the surfers. The waves are too big to paddle out through (and sometimes too big to paddle into) so they have to get towed out / in by the skis. These close out set hit the support group and it was lights out. 

The video here shows Pupukea, less than a mile down from Waimea Bay and Outer Reef where the jet ski video was shot. As the reporter says, the rocks in the video usually have 15 feet of exposed vertical rock. I've jumped off those rocks countless times. In her video, taken at a random time on Saturday, the rocks are totally submerged by the waves. Remember that this news video is a) showing regular wave activity from the day, not just the biggest waves, and b) these rocks are close to shore where the waves are far, far smaller than those breaking at Outer Reef. Just gives you some idea of what happens on the North Shore.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/01/17/warning-level-swell-draws-curious-onlookers-oahus-north-shore-keeps-ocean-safety-busy/

Edited by honolulu horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

DAMN! Like the end of the video of the other surfer flagging the support people that they may want to go pick up the rag doll in the break zone.

I don’t know shit about surfing but the first time I saw footage from Teahupoo I could tell it was something different. Just massive amounts of force in that wave.

58 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t know shit about surfing but the first time I saw footage from Teahupoo I could tell it was something different. Just massive amounts of force in that wave.

It's a unique wave in that most of the face and the power of wave comes from the ocean sucking out water from the pit / impact zone, as opposed to creating a monster wave crest over a reef or a point break like you usually see. The ocean just sort of hollows out and creates this thick slab of doom, rather than building your typical wave shape. That's one of the reasons it's primarily a tow-in wave -- not much time to paddle because the wave just suctions up and creates the face so quickly. 

• Like 1

It's a unique wave in that most of the face and the power of wave comes from the ocean sucking out water from the pit / impact zone, as opposed to creating a monster wave crest over a reef or a point break like you usually see. The ocean just sort of hollows out and creates this thick slab of doom, rather than building your typical wave shape. That's one of the reasons it's primarily a tow-in wave -- not much time to paddle because the wave just suctions up and creates the face so quickly. 

• Like 2