Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

39 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That and I knew he was going to sever something with that blue shovel.

yeah fuck that guy.  all geeked up to use his fancy Sharper Image toy.  Face Plant could have died waiting.  props to Yellow Helmet guy for getting in there and doing what needed to get done.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, crash_davis said:

that would've been a hell of a way to go.

you're the afterlife, some soul comes up and asks, "hey how'd you die?"

response. "i'm a shitty skier and drowned in snow."

I think the response would have been more like "I was waiting for some tool with a fancy blue shovel to dig me out of the snow.  Can I go back and haunt his useless ass?"

that would've been a hell of a way to go.
you're the afterlife, some soul comes up and asks, "hey how'd you die?"
response. "i'm a shitty skier and drowned in snow."

That happened to me once in whiteout conditions at Snowbird. I didn’t require to be dug out, but for a moment I thought I was going to. There was no one around. It was fucking scary.

Yes I’m a shitty skier.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That happened to me once in whiteout conditions at Snowbird. I didn’t require to be dug out, but for a moment I thought I was going to. There was no one around. It was fucking scary.

Yes I’m a shitty skier.

Similar for me, although in the surf. It was an unusually big day on the south shore of Oahu and I was surfing a break at Diamond Head called Cliffs. I ate it on the first wave of a big set I had no business on, and just got pummeled and held under the ensuing several waves. I couldn't tell up from down, everything was white foam and chaos, and I was losing my breath. That was scary. 

Yes, I'm a shitty surfer. 

• Like 2

Similar for me, although in the surf. It was an unusually big day on the south shore of Oahu and I was surfing a break at Diamond Head called Cliffs. I ate it on the first wave of a big set I had no business on, and just got pummeled and held under the ensuing several waves. I couldn't tell up from down, everything was white foam and chaos, and I was losing my breath. That was scary. 
So did you get lucky finding oxygen or what? How did you find the surface? I've heard about cupping you hands over your mouth to see where bubbles go, but that seems like a strategy that probably gets overlooked in stressful situations like that.

16 minutes ago, markstanco said:
23 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

So did you get lucky finding oxygen or what? How did you find the surface? I've heard about cupping you hands over your mouth to see where bubbles go, but that seems like a strategy that probably gets overlooked in stressful situations like that.

It was a combo of following my leash to the surface (still attached to the board, which floats) and just getting lucky enough to grab a little air as the set was starting to subside. Usually sets come in combos of 4-6 waves, so it's possible to wait it out while just grabbing little bits of air as waves keep coming in. But let's not get carried away. It's not like I was at Pipeline or Teahupo'o or anything. I''m sure surfers that are actually good wouldn't have been as panicked as I was. I was just (literally) in over my head -- moreso because I suck, not because I was riding giants. Still, it scared the hell out of me. 

On 1/27/2021 at 11:28 PM, honolulu horn said:

My banal contribution: Six of us were canoeing down the Guadalupe in three rented aluminum canoes. No experience, no equipment, no common sense. Plenty of drunk. We hit some rapids that tumped all three canoes over. The current was so swift it bent one of canoes around a rock. Ruined it. We had to buy it. The current grabbed me and rolled me helplessly like a bowling ball underwater. The only thing that saved me was getting spun out the other side of the rapids. We were coughing and spitting on the bank when two pairs of semi-professional kyakers walked past us--spandex, life jackets, knee pads, elbow pads, helmets. They were porting around the rapids we were just stupid enough to try and paddle through in open canoes. They looked at us and just shook their heads.

Yes, I'm a shitty (former) canoer.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

My banal contribution: Six of us were canoeing down the Guadalupe in three rented aluminum canoes. No experience, no equipment, no common sense. Plenty of drunk. We hit some rapids that tumped all three canoes over. The current was so swift it bent one of canoes around a rock. Ruined it. We had to buy it. The current grabbed me and rolled me helplessly like a bowling ball underwater. The only thing that saved me was getting spun out the other side of the rapids. We were coughing and spitting on the bank when two pairs of semi-professional kyakers walked past us--spandex, life jackets, knee pads, elbow pads, helmets. They were porting around the rapids we were just stupid enough to try and paddle through in open canoes. They looked at us and just shook their heads.

Yes, I'm a shitty (former) canoer.

Yep. Know where that happened. Remember losing glasses and almost losing my little brother there. Good times.

Pos rep for using "tumped."