Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

it's a Going to Hell test. 

I lulz and was absolutely amazed at the same time. I failed.

What's so amazing about an Asian playing violin? It was either that or piano. 

6 hours ago, smuggs said:

That's a world record dive, per Wide World of Sports criteria, that still stands. Dude's a school teacher now.

RickCh%20(2).jpg

I wonder how it turned out with the girlfriend “Linda” that was in the video. 

16 hours ago, Felix said:

If you know the world record is 172 feet.  Why wouldn't you just jump from 173?  Why TIE the record?  That doesn't make sense.

The folks that have jumped from higher have been injured and had to be helped/rescued from the water, which the rules specifically state cannot happen. Broken femur, broken back, etc.

This guy jumped from 193 feet but didn't perform a somersault, so it does not count as a "dive" per the rules that govern the dude in the speedo and knee tape:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smuggs said:

The folks that have jumped from higher have been injured and had to be helped/rescued from the water, which the rules specifically state cannot happen. Broken femur, broken back, etc.

This guy jumped from 193 feet but didn't perform a somersault, so it does not count as a "dive" per the rules that govern the dude in the speedo and knee tape:

Fuck no. The one fear I've had from childhood on is heights. 

Some of those videos show a harness that goes around the skiers butt/legs that attaches to the ski rope, I assume to relieve stress off their arms.  If there was a way in hell I agreed to 130mph skiing, there's no way in hell I would trust whatever breakaway mechanism was supposed to happen between this harness and the ski rope if I fell.  In that 70 mile race, one dude fell.  Interesting commentary around that point, and I'm sorry, I don't remember what minute it was, but dude was in pain.  

In high school, when I was younger and stupider, I had a ski boat that would do 53 with just me in it.  One day I was slaloming with either one or two people in the boat and I got brave and told the driver to open it up.  I expect maybe 50mph.  I fell, it hurt.  That was the end of my day skiing.  I didn't hurt anything seriously, but I didn't want any more that day.

As far as that blitz video, that water is smooth AF.  Ideal skiing conditions if you weren't going 80 mph around the slowest turn. 

At another point in the 70 mile race, one of the boats hits something and their speed is compromised.  They supposedly clean the river, but what if the skier hit it instead of the boat?  If you have 50 minutes of nothing to do, watch it.  At one point, the river is so narrow, the ski ropes are in the trees on the bank going around a curve.  There's also birds flying all around that I wouldn't want to hit at 80-139mph.

Sorry, I went down a youtube wormhole and as someone who grew up on the river and used to ski several times a week, this blows my mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought everybody knew this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

no idea if this is true but from the comments.

Between 1 and 2 seconds in this video you see part of the structure to the left actually break UPWARDS. This is pre-stressed concrete that is connected with pre-formed sections that have holes for steel cables to be put through and then tensioned. The concrete has (usually) extremely strong compression strength but not good tension strength while steel has great tension strength, especially in cable form. So by putting the steel cables through and pulling the concrete sections together the steel has tension and the concrete has compression and together they can span the length between the piers holding it up. The upward break in the section of concrete to the left is likely from the steel cables being tightened for that tension support, which is added after the concrete is assembled since that section looks like it was just completed. If you over-tighten the steel or if there's imperfections in the concrete, then it may have given way and that is what started the failure - then the rest fell 'like dominos' after it lost the tension. My money is on someone having been there in the process of applying tension because of the 'upward' nature of the failure before it fell.

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

no idea if this is true but from the comments.

Between 1 and 2 seconds in this video you see part of the structure to the left actually break UPWARDS. This is pre-stressed concrete that is connected with pre-formed sections that have holes for steel cables to be put through and then tensioned. The concrete has (usually) extremely strong compression strength but not good tension strength while steel has great tension strength, especially in cable form. So by putting the steel cables through and pulling the concrete sections together the steel has tension and the concrete has compression and together they can span the length between the piers holding it up. The upward break in the section of concrete to the left is likely from the steel cables being tightened for that tension support, which is added after the concrete is assembled since that section looks like it was just completed. If you over-tighten the steel or if there's imperfections in the concrete, then it may have given way and that is what started the failure - then the rest fell 'like dominos' after it lost the tension. My money is on someone having been there in the process of applying tension because of the 'upward' nature of the failure before it fell.

I'm skeptical of anyone who says "tension strength". It's tensile strength. Damn Reddit parrots.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm skeptical of anyone who says "tension strength". It's tensile strength. Damn Reddit parrots.

50 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i'm sensing some tension in your post.

Don't get torqued over it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1