Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

We did part of our honeymoon on the Canary Islands.  That's a tough place to evacuate because the farther you head south from the volcano, the farther down in elevation you go.  That whole island is just a massive slide.  Their eruptions, though rare, last several weeks to months.  Beautiful islands though, wonderful people.  Fred Olsen to the rescue! 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I didn't know these mountain races were even a thing until a few months ago and I've been the rabbit hole of videos.  That they go on days with almost no cloud cover is insane.  They hit some of those quick ascension turns where you're driving what seems like straight into sunlight (I realize it's just the reflection), and if you're off by a thousandth of a second...it's not just a plywood wall at Daytona...it's a mile-deep dropoff into Valhalla.  But a true merge of driver skill, handling, speed, and relying on your subconscious to remember why this turn which looks identical to the naked eye as the last turn is actually 5 degrees different and you'll need to stay in 3rd for a half breath longer and....oh shit!

i watched the pikes peak hill climb in person once.  a few cars went off the cliff side, but even more went off into the ditch or trees in the mountainside.  theres some historically epic cliff-falls on that race.  though i think theyve paved the road now so theres better traction and less risk.

the other wild motorsports race is the isle of man motorcycle timetrial.  onboard videos from that is seriously just impossible to believe.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

But a true merge of driver skill, handling, speed, and relying on your subconscious to remember why this turn which looks identical to the naked eye as the last turn is actually 5 degrees different and you'll need to stay in 3rd for a half breath longer and....oh shit!

It’s gotta be like bobsledding or some of those intense mountain bike runs where you’ve got the course absolutely memorized and you’re only relying on your eyesight for something that SHOULDN’T be there

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. 

Which is why I don't get why they allow some of those watch groups way up top to be on those exposed bends.  They obviously weren't there each time he made the practice runs.  Then they're just a group of them at the cliffside with two parked trucks, reflecting light and just being another thing his eyes/brain have to process as he perfectly times the turn/downshift.  I would think as a courtesy, those people would either wait up at the very end or just on the double-sided turns at the start.  Or tuck in mountainside, maybe scooch up a bit into the rocks and still see him but not be as much a distraction or reflection issue.  Obviously it didn't bother him that much, but I'm sure there's some other drivers out there that didn't fare as well. 

I think the rush he gets from people cheering him on helps (he even thumbs-up somebody about 2/3rds the way through which scared the shit out of me)...but the light bleed issue would really fuck with me.  That, and the fact that while I've handled myself well on some race courses...I am deathly afraid of heights.  I'd get to about the 3rd high altitude exposed bend/naked turn, soil myself, regroup, and thank everyone for coming out as I made my way back down.     

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i watched the pikes peak hill climb in person once.  a few cars went off the cliff side, but even more went off into the ditch or trees in the mountainside.  theres some historically epic cliff-falls on that race.  though i think theyve paved the road now so theres better traction and less risk.

the other wild motorsports race is the isle of man motorcycle timetrial.  onboard videos from that is seriously just impossible to believe.

We went up PP on the day after a race one year and the banners and hay bales and stuff were still up on the course.   I pulled up underneath the start banner, power braked, then launched … 

… the minivan up the mountain.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hate said:

La Palma is also a disaster waiting to happen whether it is form this eruption or the next.

this particular vent does appear to be larger than the 1971 Teneguia eruption, but the scope of the eruption is thus far, similar to that one.  This one just happens to be near a much more populated/developed area of the island.  Doesn't look it'll cause a tsunami.  1971 and 1949 which were also VEI-2's caused nothing of the sort though they did inspire much more analysis and monitoring of the formation going forward:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbre_Vieja

I can only imagine the head caving that would occur by some of our SEC brethren if an Asian-named tidal wave caused by a Spanish-named Volcano/Island came from all the way from Africa to destroy the American Southeast.  I shudder to think.  It's such a beautiful part of Africa, I hope these folks are okay and can rebuild safely soon.  

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

t It's such a beautiful part of Africa, I hope these folks are okay and can rebuild safely soon.  

I am not familiar with that part of Africa, but it seems to be  in just looking at a map that most of the African coastline that would be most directly impacted is in the Western Sahara, which as I understand is pretty sparsely populated. I'm sure it would affect parts of Morocco and possible Mauritania and Senegal, but it seems like the brunt would be in the WS. Am I wrong? 

That sea lion is thinking "The shore's right over there!  Help a brother out here!  C'mon, lady; those orca ain't gonna do shit to you, but they wanna eat me.  This ain't hard!"

I don’t understand what her problem was. Why was she so concerned with letting the seal chill on the boat? And why couldn’t she drive the boat?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'd sit there all day and watch the orcas and the seal lion.  Why did she need to do anything?

I half expected the whale to jump on the side of the boat and grab that sea lion.

Especially when the sea lion was hanging its head over the side, or at least the angle looked that way. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:08 AM, 52-80 said:

Isle of Man TT is at the top of my sports bucket list events.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brakeman said:

I know everyone's' already saw this but it's really cool.

See those all the time from airplanes.  Usually it's when you're descending into a cloud and the airplane is directly between the sun and the cloud.  The shadow of the plane will always be right in the center of the rainbow.